University of Arizona Employee Reviews in United States

Challenging but rewarding learning experience
Masters student (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 22, 2016
I am pursuing a Masters degree in Geosciences at the University of Arizona. This is a great place to work and study. Compensation and salary is reasonable for a student but not sustainable. It is a very challenging and rewarding place to study, we do research all around the world and have some of the best resources available including some of the top scientists in the world as advisors and professors. The students here are very friendly and provide a positively competitive experience. It is very demanding at times but overall the high expectations of my performance as a student is very helpful in developing the skills that will help me become a great professional.
Wonderful place to work
Systems Programmer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 29, 2016
Great benefits. Great group of people to work with. No drama or bull. Just come to work and do what you love to do. No yelling boss and no micro-management.
Cons
QTR could be better used for certifications or specialized training for job
Horrible management
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Main campusDecember 13, 2015
I loved working at the U of A and meeting so many wonderful students from all walks of life. The job itself was very easy and most co-workers were very friendly.
Management was terrible & even though you ask for feedback and they gave you positive responses, you
can still be let go for no reason whatsoever. I loved my job & was good at it.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Horrible management
Relaxing with slow pace
Lab Manager& Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 29, 2016
Quiet and cheap place.
Working pace is slow.
Faculty/people around you are nice!
Lack of some research devices.
Research projects are not many considering the size of the university.
Pros
Low living costs
Cons
Low salary
Good place to grow and learn.
Research Specialist Senior, CRC, Oncology Trials (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 13, 2015
I have leaned that good source documentation is critical. I have learn much about the oncology research pharmaceutical process. The co- workers are great and work well together to be a cohesive team. I have completed research oncology studies from initiation to closure in outpatient setting. It is an academic setting so plenty of politics and poor management skills.
Pros
Benefits and job security
Cons
periods of feast or famine work loads.
Biomedical Communications Career
Medical Photographer (Former Employee) –  College of Medicine, University of ArizonaMarch 20, 2016
Biomedical Communications is a department at the University of Arizona's College of Medicine. It was my profession of 16 years after College.

Most people will never know of this profession, as it is not in the mainstream compared to a: Doctor, Nurse, Fireman, Policeman, Lawyer or Politician, ...

We documented everything Medical and related. A staff of 50 people where in the department and there where 15 photographers in the Photography section. Our work is published in textbooks for Medical Students and documented in scientific journals around the world.

It has been my pleasure to work with some of the World's best pioneers of medicine for the good of mankind.!

My position was cut by the short sited politicians of the State of Arizona budgeting that did not understand our Profession.

With a heavy heart I took an early retirement.
Pros
Rewarding Career
Cons
State Cuts
good employer
Assistant Scientific Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 27, 2015
The benefits are great! Vacation days and sick balance is adequate.It offers you the opportunity to challenge yourself. The atmosphere is friendly and collaborative.
Conducting research at the University
Associate Research Professor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 29, 2016
I worked with federal agencies to advance our understanding of interactions between climate change and societies in the past through modeling climate variability in tree-ring proxies.

Being a Principal Investigator is labor of love and passion, since it is a immense amount of work and stress. The University of Arizona management efficiently supported my research-related development and promptly administrated incoming grants. Overall, I had great honor and joy working for the University.
Pros
Flexible schedule, excellent collaborative network
Cons
Budgets cuts
It was fun.
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 2, 2015
I liked working with my other co-workers. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Only was required to met on certain days.
Pros
The people are very outgoing
Cons
No benefits
UofA South was an adventure
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, ArizonaJune 27, 2015
As a satellite campus, we had a lot of autonomy. As a new campus, there was a lot of room to be creative. On a typical day I would travel a lot, visiting the community college for recruiting. I might be training new employees or conducting a new student orientation. Every day was full, busy and I had a wide variety of responsibilities.

I learned that I could do many things. I loved the feeling of creating new initiatives and solving new problems.

Management was very distant and we were left on our own. Although we didn't always have the support we needed, we had a lot of autonomy. I enjoyed my co-workers and we had a strong team.

The hardest part of the job was that we were spread thin. We had two office sites and five community college recruiting sites and only six employees. Schedules were adjusted daily to compensate for absenteeism.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being in control of a new project/campus. I loved creating new initiatives and felt personal satisfaction in the success of the programs.
Pros
Autonomy, opportunity to create, benefits, love the students
Cons
lack of support when we needed it
A fantastic place to learn with an unfortunate instability with funding
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 14, 2016
I have learned an incredible amount about conducting scientific research, writing coherently, and teaching others while at the U of A. However, the disparity of funding across departments and internal instability is very hard on graduate students trying to complete research for their theses. My coworkers are incredible, and amazing things are being studied in every discipline I've interacted with.
Pros
CAPS program, Rec Center, Brilliant Coworkers
Cons
Lack of Funding, slow response of administration at times
Productive and Fun workplace with supportive supervisors
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  TucsonAugust 5, 2015
I loved working here and learned so much from this place. It made me grow as a person and as a potential employee elsewhere. Shetara was a fantastic supervisor and was almost a "friend" to all of us undergraduate desk assistants. The environment was calm, friendly and always nurturing the knowledge seeker.
Pros
My supervisor
Cons
No benefits because it is a starter job
Adequate work environment with the ability to work independently
Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Department of Nutritional ScienceAugust 10, 2015
Work in a team to perform research. Professional development opportunities available. Limited ability to advance and low compensation.
Pros
Pursue professional development
Cons
Limited advancement and low salary
Grad-school is labile
Graduate Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 22, 2016
Being a grad student at the University of Arizona on a fellowship has lots of variation. When everything is perfectly aligned (funding, projects, research, development, and classes) it is the most amazing experience possible. The faculty in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department are among the most intelligent people you'll ever meet. Generally you'll have a great deal of intellectual freedom. Each advisor is different, but mine let me direct my own research. This is good if you are self-motivated. One co-worker wasn't self-motivated and spent over 10 years with the same advisor, not graduating.

The work became very difficult when funding sources were drying up. I wanted to change directions for my PhD research from my Master's work. Writing proposals can take 40+ to 80+ hours, which you don't get paid for, aren't guaranteed to win, and sometimes the university is too slow to submit the paperwork (they have to review grant proposals) so you're never even in the competition for funding.
Pros
Great place with lots of smart people.
Cons
When your funding & research aren't aligned, you'll be putting in 80ish hours/week
Productive and fun workplace with strict policies
Student Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 21, 2016
A typical work day included setup for either practice or game, as well as pregame and postgame therapy for the players. Management was consistent and co-workers were nothing short of hard-working. Hardest part of the job was being limited to only the required duties and being restricted from going the extra mile. Most enjoyable part was getting to know my co-workers and members of the team.
Pros
Free tickets to games and behind the scenes accessibility
Cons
No social allowance, limited job duties
Great place, but no advancement
Research Programmer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 9, 2015
Generally, the university is a great place to work. I worked for OSCR for a majority of the time but left after working for the CS department. Overall, I'd recommend it, but to get more money, you have to change jobs every few years as raises are difficult to come by.
Pros
Relaxed enviroment, reasonable funding, excellent benefits.
Cons
Lack of raises in some departments.
Great Experience
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 28, 2016
As a college student, it can be tough to find a job that will work around your sporadic class schedule. Working at the Recreation Center on campus has been wonderful for me; as a trainer, you give your availability to the Fitness Coordinator, and they set you up with clients who have similar time preferences to workout. Once you connect with your client, all of the responsibility falls on you to meet with them and design and monitor their workout program. This job was a great way to get my toes wet in the training industry while still learning a log.
Technology, Services and Products Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 6, 2016
Fun place to work, management was flexible and encouraging.

Working for the University of Arizona gave me opportunity to learn from the best, and it is a fundamental part of my formation as a person, and an employee.
Pros
Flexibility
Hard working and friendly environment
Crew Member/Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 4, 2015
Upon arrival there was usually wasn't too much work to finish up from the morning shifts. Management is very friendly and strong on positive critique technics. Co-workers are helpful and easy going; I can't think of a time where there was a co-worker I dreaded seeing at work. Never was there anything hard about the job, but rather challenge. From the hours of lunch there are excessive rushes that left everyone a bit tired. Aside from that, working at the University has been a great experience for myself because it has taught me leadership skills, and communication. Mainly leadership skills and communication, but also organization and time management. Being my first job, the University does an outstanding job introducing students to the work force, while still accommodating students with their schedules.
Pros
1/2 off all campus affiliated restaurants, works around school schedule, friendly employees
Cons
no healthcare benefits
Good work-life balance
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 21, 2016
I am working as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Arizona. Have good work-life balance and access to a lot of resources.

4.4