University of Arizona Employee Reviews

University of Arizona, where i learned to be a professional
Instructor of Record, Adjunct (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 11, 2015
I love this place. Every place has it's faults, like not enough funding, or a few difficult people, but overall this is a lovely environment to be an instructor and foster creativity.

I learned to not be reactionary, and to develop a set of behaviors and skills that create and foster a positive work environment.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
adjunct: no health care, no a reliable source of income, not enough funding at the U of A school of art, tight budget
Decent job
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 2, 2015
wonderful employer and supervisors, but very unlikely to move up in any way. Good learning environment and fun atmosphere.
Pros
good learning environment
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
Nice long term work
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 16, 2016
If you are loyal to an organization, U of A is perfect for you. The university offers long term perks like retirement and education assistance.
Pros
great group of co-workers
Cons
pay lower than expected
It's a good place to work
Course Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 7, 2016
I truly enjoy working with the students and professors at the U of A. It's really a great place to work as well as learn. My coworkers are both hard working as well as fun to work with.
Pros
fun place
Cons
tough
Excellent lab workplace that furthers experience with field of research and conducting experiments/experimental protocols
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 3, 2015
I work in an Evolutionary Biology lab in which I either come in and perform chemical extraction/purification procedures, HPLC, or analysis of my experimental data or that gained before I worked here which needs to be analyzed. I learned an incredible amount of experimental protocols that extend to many other fields of research on top of the experience I had from previous lab work. I loved that the professor and the graduate student I worked directly under genuinely cared about my future career and graduate school goals, and gave me an excellent opportunity to build my laboratory repertoire and have a better chance at being accepted to a great school and have the background to get a research position.
I feel that I now have more qualifications in a wide field of research procedures to qualify for the positions I apply to because of this job.
Office feels like a family
Administrative Assoctiate (Former Employee) –  University of Arizona Office of the DeanMay 13, 2015
I spent the day managing the front while doing jobs. I enjoyed working with and briefly chatting with all my colleges. The management was completely understanding when emergencies come up. I found it challenging to come up with things to do when it was slow. That is after cleaning. I started spending the time reorganizing and cleaning files and electronic systems. In addition, I took classes to learn other aspects of UAccess. I like dealing with customers, parents and people who need help.
Pros
They celebrated our accomplishments, with lunches and breakfasts.
Cons
The deans were very busy and made for some complicated moments.
Interesting and important job opportunity
transcription and data entry (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 5, 2015
Since my job was mainly transcription, I did a lot of it at home as well as at the College of Nursing and the Cancer Department. I felt that what I did was very useful to the growth of medical understanding and study. The subject matter was important, and I considered it a very good opportunity for me to learn. My coworkers where very kind. Doctors usually were incredibly busy, but I still appreciated working for them.
Pros
Important and Interesting work
Cons
Stressful at times due to deadlines for the transcripts
Productive and high pressure working environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 17, 2015
The academic environment at U of A is very good for professional development, the undergraduate students are eager to ask questions, even though I can tell the mathematical foundations for difference students vary in a great extent, I see students come to my office hours and attend my review session trying to solve their inquiries and challenges. This in turn drives me to prepare for the best before every lecture, and devote all my time during lecture.
I have only seen 1 or 2 students attempting to cheat during exam, and they stopped the attempts after my warnings.
The professors I have worked with are all very organized and good at the subjects they are teaching. They used different techniques for various levels of economics courses.
Overall, I have accelerated valuable experience interacting with students, and learning from professors in their curriculum design, and lecturing.

Also, it is a high pressure working environment, since I have my own course works as Ph.D. student, I always encounter exam grading tasks during my own finals. I have managed to balanced them well.
Terrible management, doesn't care about employees
Surgical Tech (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 7, 2013
I worked in the OR at UAMC for almost 3 years. I have to give them some respect for giving me a chance and hiring me out of school. The first year was wonderful, but as new management came in and certain things started to change, everything seemed to go down hill. The new management decided to change many of our policies to "improve" the work environment, but really just hindered peoples' work ability. Since I didn't bow down to all the new changes, I was eventually fired due to an attendance policy that states you may only have a certain number of "unscheduled" absences in a given period of time. The catch is, "unscheduled" includes being sick, even with a doctor's note. While some managers gave their employees the benefit of the doubt, I was not given such a break. I was sick with strep throat and a viral eye infection during the same month, which put me over the limit of absences. Even with doctor's notes, they fired me anyways. This is no way to treat an employee who has been there for years. Very disappointed in the new leadership.
Pros
Great co-workers and surgeons for the most part, you get your breaks most of the time
Cons
Management, ridiculous policies that are only enforced on certain employees, lowest wages in the city
It was fun.
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 2, 2015
I liked working with my other co-workers. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Only was required to met on certain days.
Pros
The people are very outgoing
Cons
No benefits
Chaotic But Educational
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Tuscon, AZMay 1, 2015
There was a lot of cleaning, checking on customers, and delivering food everyday. Most people did not know that at sonic you are supposed to tip the skaters, and sonic did not make an effort to make this known. Phones were forbidden to be on your person, and you were not allow to stand around. I had a very hard time being allowed to take my breaks, as required by law, and often was not allowed to sit down even though I had been on my skates for hours. The management was not very understanding, and although I talked to the manager and left letters telling her that she was repetitively scheduling me for more hours than I said I could handle in my application and in the interview, as I was also a high school student at the time. The management also forbid the employees during one meeting to request time off to go to prom, which I found to be insensitive.
Pros
Sometimes allowed to have discounted food when convient to management, right next to a strip club so guys come in late at night with "left over" singles.
Cons
No breaks, little flexibility, customers frequently drunk or high.
productive and calm workplace
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 7, 2015
Great, calm place that enhances organization. wonderful student management, nice coworkers, no complications. i enjoyed the independence on the job and the flexible scheduling. it was great to work in a place where everyone was friendly and the job at hand was wonderful.
Pros
quiet environment
Cons
couldnt go past 25 hours a week
Somewhere you'll learn something new every day!
SIGNSHOP GRAPHIC ARTIST (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 20, 2014
A great place to work, with such variety that the job rarely gets boring. Management takes worker safety seriously and backs it up with monthly training. Teamwork is the norm, and everyone feels like family!
Pros
Generous vacation compensation
Cons
Corny holiday parties
Good university and good climate
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 2, 2016
Nice university with many talent professors. The ECE department is very nice. You can do some cut-edging technology here.
Great environment to work
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 12, 2016
Nice atmosphere, great teachers and students. Good classroom setting. Friendly people in office. The town of Tucson has a wonderful weather and nice places to visit, eat, and study.
Awesome Job
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 1, 2016
I loved working for my University's athletic department creating postcards, flyers, icons, etc. I enjoyed each and every project given to me.
Great supervisors and welling to listen to our opinions
Blog Writer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 7, 2014
This is a one-year contract job, so I didn't have the compensations and benefits full-time worker have. I usually worked 1-2 hours per week and got paid $40/week. I learned more on how to promote and marketing to the students, how to use words to attract university students and how to solve their questions.

The hardest part in this job is to approach these students on internet. However, what I did is that I went to the oversea studying website and find out who might be interested, in the meanwhile, created public group on popular social media.

The most enjoyable part is similar to the hardest part, that is talked to the students and actually solve the problems for them.
Great job
Parking & Transportation Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 17, 2015
A typical day at work would be processing tickets from customers, being on the computer, or listening to music. We got to be on our phones or watch Netflix in our spare time so it was really nice. My
co-workers were students as well as I was. It was a work-study position.
Professional learning enviornment. I was treated with dignity.
Teaching Labs Assistant (Current Employee) –  Meinel buildingDecember 29, 2015
I was allowed room to grow and learn new things every day. I also learned much from students, professors and staff. All were kind and helpful.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 17, 2015
It's a very good place to work in, interacting with the teachers and students in a learning environment.
It's less than half time but a good job to learn about teaching and what it takes to give a good class and have the students' attention.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arizona. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4