University of Arkansas at Little Rock Employee Reviews

Good job security, but poor compensation and management
Computer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 14, 2016
Typical state job, secure, but little else. Would've liked better management, and better compensation, but again, it was a secure job with low stress.
Pros
Low job stress
Cons
poor management
Great Benefits and time off
Windows\Unix\Linux Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 4, 2017
I would say that they aren't up-to-date on all technology. Don't learn anything new very often. Very little new training. Budget was cut by the AR State Legislature, so that has effected our office. The benefits and time off are great though.
Pros
Benefits and time off
Cons
can be not secure at time. I was laid off.
good place to work
Assistant Professor in Statistics (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 16, 2016
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is one of the best university in Little Rock. School management is not as good as tie-1 universities.
Supportive work atmosphere
Institutional Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ross Hall: The Link, 5 & 6 floorsOctober 17, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are apart of something bigger than yourself and your position is just as important as that of the chancellor.
Pros
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNIES ARE ENDLESS
Cons
PROFESSIONAL Ethics
Worst company/university to work for or go to school. Do NOT go to UALR!!
Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 15, 2015
Horrible place to work and worst place to get an education. The upper administration has no idea what is going on with the faculty or staff and really doesn't care. All this place cares about is the almighty dollar regardless of your skill level and particularly if you are a student. All employees are "at will" which means they can be let go when UALR wants to let you go but they classify you as "classified" and make you think you can't be let go. Worked there for 5 years and NEVER got a raise!! No job security, no direction for this university. IT IS TRULY A HORRIBLE UNIVERSITY!! GO somewhere else/ANYWHERE ELSE for your education!!!
Pros
Biology, Chemistry, Physics faculty is good.
Cons
Upper Administration, Price, location, total lack of caring, horrible food
Its good
Student Computer Support Specialist, September (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 18, 2016
Its the best place to work. I learn a lot of things mainly about hardware and software issues in computers. I learnt how to work in team and how to deal with customer.
Great place to work for free tuition
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 20, 2016
I got a job at UALR so that I could take classes. I did just that and finished my degree. However, it was not a place that I could see myself grow. Staff there was hard to work with and was not as friendly as other places I worked with. The pay was really low for the responsibilities I had.
Receptionist
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 28, 2016
Relaxing job, but running errands is the norm. Also answering phones, assisting the chair of the department and the administrative assistant, assisting students/ faculties/staff, making copies/scanning/faxing/emailing, making event programs, sorting mail, and promoting events.
Pleasant and professional
OFFICE ASSISTANT/ TOUR GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 8, 2016
I met a lot of perspective students which was a joy. They all had different talents. I was also able to meet a lot of staff members at the university that taught me a lot about professionalism.
Micromanagement
Institutional Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 28, 2014
Well, a typical day consisted of signing in. Speak to everyone in the department area and speak to my supervisor on the task for the day. Then delegate who should do the type of work. Non smoking campus and everybody smoked. The hardest part of my job was taking orders when everyone else did nothing. The most enjoyable part of my job was working alone and completing a task.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Low Pay and no promotions even with a college degree
Family business
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 2, 2014
Worked with customers to determine individual needs, directing them to appropriate product
Handled customers’ financial transactions precisely
Accurately maintained and balanced cash drawer, daily
Maintained and arranged product merchandise, setting up promotional materials and displays
Provided professional, prompt and courteous service to customers and vendors
Pros
This job is only if you love meeting new people
Cons
Poor Management.
Laid back, easy going, but stagnant
Skilled tradesman (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 8, 2014
I enjoy working at UALR. The people are great, the benefits are phenomenal, but you get pigeon holed and stuck wherever you land. The pay scale is stuck where it's at from the time you employee in until you quit or retire.
Pros
Free education
Cons
no chance for advancement or pay increase
I Loved This Place
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 27, 2012
I was only a student worker, but I really enjoyed working here. I worked in the School of Performing Arts. The management was awesome! They really treated me as though I was a part of the team. I learned so much. I learned how to run the sound equipment. I learned how to position lights using a blueprint. I learned stage directions. I learned how to manage a stage production. I learned how to run the lighting board. It was not a part of my job to learn all of these things, but they saw my potential and allowed to be a part of everything. If you can get in, STAY. There were amazing! The entire job was enjoyable. The only time it was boring was when all of the faculty was out, and I had to be there alone all day. Other than that, it was a great experience. I miss it, and performing arts was not my major!
It was an amazing job where I learned so much!
Spanish tutor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 11, 2013
A typical day of work was to reach my goal which was to use my skills and teach UALR students the Spanish language. I learned so much from the students, not because I know that subject means that know it all, I learned from students too. The management was easy because I loved my job. I had a good relationship with my co-workers because we used to work as a team when it was necessary. There wasnt a hard part of the job for me, but there were struggles sometimes which I had to solve questions and basic things from the subject. The most enjoyable part of the job I would say that it was everything especially see my students smile and suceed.
Pros
see my students happy
Cons
the schedules of the students were different, so i had to work even late at night.
Very Fun and Flexible
Department of Intramural Programs (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 29, 2015
Great for having the flexibility to obtain a degree and work at the same time. Management empowers workers to obtain education while working. Fun and exciting campus environment.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedules, Great For Current Students
Cons
Wages
Innovative, fun, and relaxed work place.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT HOUSING LIAISON (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 12, 2014
At the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR), I work with campus housing to make sure international students adapt to the university culture. I am able to assist them to different social activities within and around the campus, Little Rock and Arkansas. I provide them with resource material that help them academically; such as working with the speech communications center and writing center. I work with a Hall Director and Resident Assistants to provide fun programs and informational sessions to our residents.
The worst part of my job is at the end of each semester having to say good luck to students moving forward with their future. The best part; the memories and experiences we have shared together.
Pros
I work very close to home and to campus. Also, my co-workers are wonderful, helpful people.
Cons
Sometimes it can get very slow in the office, so I try to find little projects to keep myself busy.
Lots of changes
Academic Adviser (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 18, 2014
A typical day at work included working with many students in setting up their academic schedules and making sure the student is on course for graduation. This position allowed me to increase my office skills, communication, and team work skills. This job allowed me full access to work with management and administration in many capacities. The hardest part of the job was figuring out a system to incorporate for organization due to the prior employee deleting all files. Overall, this job allowed me to grow and be a better professional. The best part of the job was the interaction with the student and helping guide the student on the right path.
Education discount
Public Safety Dispatcher/Relief Officer (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 30, 2014
Better benefits than private company's and education discount and holiday pay is a pluse.
Benefits
Cons
Promotions and advancement is slow
Higher Education, great involvement
Assistant Manager Budget/Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 21, 2015
I have worked for the University for over 19 years, We have great benefits. Great atmosphere, wonderful peers, student involvement.
Pros
Great benefits
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 25, 2014
Flexible schedule, Management was good. Easy work, and we had potlucks on some Fridays.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Inadequate salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3