University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) Employee Reviews

Stay clear of this place unless you are an M.D.
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 9, 2017
Most poorly manged facility ever. Poor pay, no value of employees, not enough resources in terms of budgeted amounts because the top levels are taking all the money with enormous salaries, all the while the facility has been in a budget crunch and deficit for 5 to 7 years. Avoid this corrupt place like the plague.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Too many to list them all
fun work place
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 3, 2017
typical day was steady good mentor system I learned a lot management was respectful work place culture is very diverse the hardest part of my job was nothing
Pros
good workers management
Cons
short breaks
Do not work at uams
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 9, 2017
Black people are treated poorly and underpaid. They work people and won’t allow them to take breaks. Everyone is very cut throat. No raises, no appreciation, Management doesn’t even speak to the employees.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, no lunch breaks
Bad Environment
IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 9, 2017
Management doesn't know how to foster growth, will constantly string you along with no way of advancement. Management is very good ole boy system. Higher up people get shuffled out to other made up positions while others get shafted and fired for even minor things. It started out great but has gone down hill since.
Pros
Can get decent experience if you want
Cons
Healthcare, Management, Salary
Fire for no real reason.
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 9, 2017
Accused of sleeping on the job. Terminated with no recourse.
DO NOT WORK HERE. Period. I uprooted my life and was term'ed in two weeks. Made my life a living he**.
Horrible environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 3, 2017
The manager there talk down to you and nothing is done about it even if you go to hr. If you are African American be prepared to be treated different from your coworkers. It's sad because it's 2017 and racism still exist.
Benefits
Cons
Treated poorly
Worked as a research assistant for my advisor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 28, 2017
Great advisor, gives excellent direction to students and helps with career development, high standards of research and a great place to learn claims database resarch
An Excellent First Job
Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 7, 2017
This was my first job out of college. What I learned professional and personal interaction served me well in subsequent employment. I was exceptionally fortunate to have a supervisor who was not only good at their job but provided me with a role model.
Although I was a chaplain resident, I worked and was received by the hospital staff and patrons as a staff chaplain.
Resident Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 17, 2017
I was a member of the palliative interdisciplinary team. I mostly tended to patients, families, and staff on the multiple myeloma floor. The mornings were filled with case studies and didactics. The afternoons were comprised of floor visits and response to trauma pages. One day a week, we are on call in the hospital for 24 hours.
Pros
Good working conditions and challenging academics works.
Cons
Miles of walking.
Great benefits
Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 15, 2017
Sometimes very long days and being salaried that can cause low moral. Depending on job title and where in the hospital you work, there can be little room for advancement.
Pros
Discounts, benefits
Cons
Little room for advancement depending on job title
Uams
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 23, 2017
Very diverse place to work with a lot of different opportunities for jobs from administrative to healthcare to research. There is something for everyone.
Good place low salary slow research pace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 2, 2017
It is a wonderful research environment but less collaboration and talking between people.
Salary is low and publication chances are slim. People are nice and no agenda against each other.
Helpful and encouraging place full of learning opportunities
Telemetry Monitor Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 1, 2017
My job here started with excellent training and background. I worked 3 shifts a week that were 12 hours. I aided with patient care, transfer, cleaning, stocking, monitoring telemetry, etc.
Excellent place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 12, 2016
Three twelve hour shifts per week with call one 24 hour period. Alternated between working a 6 bed hemodialysis unit with working with one on one hemodialysis treatment of ICU patient. I saw the most ill patients here that I have ever encountered. When other hospitals don't know what to do for a patient, they send them to UAMS. Management was good. Co-workers were friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job was taking call as on more than one occasion, I would have completed the 45 minute commute home after work just to be called back in for an emergency treatment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the setting and state of the art equipment. Also, no complaints about the wonderful retirement savings match offered there.
Pros
Wonderful environment, good doctors
Cons
My commute time as I did not live in Little Rock
cool place to work
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cancer InstituteJanuary 4, 2016
UAMS is a pretty cool place to work. I enjoy the patient that i come into contact with, my coworkers are the best there is no problems we all pitch in to help when one person is out. The only problem i have is with the management, if you go to management with a problem they state the dont like problem or confrontation but i feel like patients come first. I just wish we had a manager who had a backbone. The other problem is with the current ceo who thought of the bright idea of a color coded dress code for nurses and other certified positions and even the clerical staff was told that they will not be allowed to wear scrubs even though some clerical staff work with patients who are very ill then they turn around a the last minute and give the clerical staff scrub jackets ( brilliant idea, no scrubs but a required scrub jacket)
Pros
patients and coworkers
Cons
management and new dress code policy
Keeping it together
Patient Service Coordinator II- Medical Records (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 10, 2015
The work is steady.I have learned new skills to benefit my job. New programs. Management is ok sometimes. I work with really young women in mydepartment always sme kind of drama. the hardist part of my job is dealing with the demands of the patients. The most enjoyable part of my job is completing what is put beforne before the week end.
UAMS is an excellent place to work.
Department of Staff Education (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 24, 2014
I enjoyed working at UAMS primarily because I enjoy the healthcare setting. The work is demanding but is very rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job was the lack of flexibility.
Pros
Working with patients
Cons
Lack of flexiblity
Best place to work in Arkansas
Associate Director of Donor Records (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 16, 2012
I love UAMS. People here are very professional, friendly and laid back.