University of Arkansas Employee Reviews

productive and supportive work environment
Program Associate Soybeans (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 5, 2016
I love the extension service and will always refer people to them. They are educated and helpful to farmers and ranchers. The services run from the age of 5 to adults.
Inclusive Workplace
Athletic Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 27, 2016
Type of job where you love going in everyday. Everyone is productive and the work environment is extremely positive. Lots of opportunity to gain experience.
Inclusive workplace
Athletics Communication Intern (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 26, 2016
Fayetteville is a great college town to live in. Everyone in the office, regardless of position, is inclusive and welcoming. Gain a lot of professional and personal experience from relationships with coworkers.
Great instructors, course and atmosphere..
Student Body Smoking Cessation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 26, 2016
Great University to go to, the campus is great, instructors and course are all top notch. 4-year school located in the heart of the city,with one of the countries, best basketball, track, golf, and volleyball you want to see and be part of. Go Trojans!!!!!!
Relaxing environment, allowed to personalize teaching methods
Geoscience Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 3, 2016
The geoscience department at the University of Arkansas allows the teaching assistants to create their own labs and instruct in a personalized way to students depending on how the class responds to teaching styles. Lab sizes are manageable (20-24 students).
Work Study in Supply Chain Department
Supply Chain Department, WCOB (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 2, 2016
Temporary position in Walton College of Business (WCOB). I began the job this semester and it entails completing jobs as assigned. The position is very exciting and I enjoy being part of the Department staff.
Some good things, but poor management
Executive Assistant I/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 27, 2016
Unfortunately, my experience working with present leadership has been less than professional, providing a less than safe working environment, and overall a very unsettling and unprofessional experience.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management, poor professional standards
Challenging and learning work place
SI Drill Instructor/Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 24, 2016
The most important aspect of this job is that it allows you to learn everyday. There are multiple math equations in a lot of those classes and everyday is a learning process.
A Very Interesting Experience
Research Experience (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 29, 2016
I have been involved in two Research Experience for Undergraduates programs at the University of Arkansas. I worked as an employee of both the Physics and Microelectronics-Photonics programs at the University. We would do assigned lab work given to us by the faculty advisor that we chose to work under and we had to submit a research paper and give an oral presentation of the research progress that was achieved for the duration of the program
Great
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 8, 2016
Very rewarding work. Enjoyed all aspects of the job. Co-workers and students were great. Nice atmosphere to work in. The hardest part was grading and lab set up.
Cons
Temporary position
Stable workplace
HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 1, 2016
It is a good work environment. Lack of upward mobility and the pay is low for the State of Arkansas. My experience was good and I learned many things regarding the University of Arkansas. The benefit of attending college while working there is a huge plus and if you work there, I would recommend attending class even if you only take one per semester. The employees are like family and the environment is friendly - the salary is paid once a month.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Very low salary, pay day is once a month
Publish or perish
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 1, 2016
Good co-workers who are easy to deal with and also pretty amenable work environment. Too much expectations on the employees.
Pros
Flexible timings
Cons
Excess work pesture
good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMay 15, 2016
Good job but the salary is low, it compensate because you dont need to pay tuition. You need study and work at the same time.
Pros
No tuition
Cons
low salary
Great Place
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 25, 2016
Fayetteville is a great place to live and the University is a wonderful place to work. The environment is student focused and is inviting to students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Pros
Pay, location
Cons
Location, politics
Exciting work environment
Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 24, 2016
Sonic is a wonderful place to work as a teenager stepping into the work life or someone who is looking to work their way up into management. The coworkers are great and the environment is great.
Cons
Short Breaks
I worked there almost 12 years and was only overwhelmed the last 9 months in the CEA office. My work for 11 years for printing for was satisfying.
Reproduction Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 19, 2016
Overall the University is prone to very busy times, but for every day to be frustrating and producing anxiety because of lack of enough staff is some departments can make it a rough place to work certain positions.
Excellent peers
Project/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, ARApril 15, 2016
The University of Arkansas was a great place to work because its mission was one of education and grooming our youth to be productive members of society.
A very challenging job of educating mostly minority students from low income families and with low grade on achievement test after high school.
Associate Professor of Soil Science (Current Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARApril 10, 2016
Job of a teacher requires a good preparation of lectures and labs that are adapted to diverse learning capabilities of the students. It is very time consuming because I am the only instructor of soil sciences. Opportunities of research on problems faced by limited resources farmers exist. My supervisor are very understanding and knows that I work hard to assume my responsibilities. My colleagues are very friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job is a lower number of student at the university and especially in the plant-soil science disciplines. With lower enrollment, the job security may be in doubt despite my efforts to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I recommend students for internships and when they graduate and are hired after graduation. Also, I enjoy talking to farmers, addressing their concerns and producing meaningful impacts.
Pros
a very good professional environment
Cons
Support personnel requires constant supervision to ensure accurate research data
Great place to work.
Academic Tutor/Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 8, 2016
Great place to work. Great salary, great benefits and great work life balance. Only worked as a student but I would definitely recommend it to anybody.
Great to start out, but don't stick around
IT (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 28, 2016
It's a great place to get your feet under you. It's also a great place to work if you're completing a degree or have college-aged kids that want to attend. The tuition reduction is a big help.

Other benefits aren't what they used to be. You'll be told that the benefits "make up" for the low wages. This may have been true 20 years ago, but not now. The wages are well below average across the board, and the benefits keep getting reduced.

Promotion and raises don't happen generally. Bargain well for your starting salary, because it's unlikely you'll see more than 1-2% raise per year, and that may be in the form of a "bonus" that doesn't affect your actual salary.

4.3