University of Arkansas Employee Reviews in United States

Great to start out, but don't stick around
IT (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 28, 2016
It's a great place to get your feet under you. It's also a great place to work if you're completing a degree or have college-aged kids that want to attend. The tuition reduction is a big help.

Other benefits aren't what they used to be. You'll be told that the benefits "make up" for the low wages. This may have been true 20 years ago, but not now. The wages are well below average across the board, and the benefits keep getting reduced.

Promotion and raises don't happen generally. Bargain well for your starting salary, because it's unlikely you'll see more than 1-2% raise per year, and that may be in the form of a "bonus" that doesn't affect your actual salary.
Great Culture. Poor Pay. Riddled in Red Tape
Financial Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJanuary 6, 2016
The University of Arkansas is a great work environment. The problem however is that all of the staff unless your in the upper echelons of the system get paid at least 15k less a year than they deserve. If it weren't for the 90% tuition discount I wouldn't stay on, and sadly not because I don't like what I do, or the people and culture that I am with, but because my job hardly equates to a living wage as a single parent trying to afford the bare minimum of bills. Car payment, insurance, phone, rent, utilities, daycare.. nothing extravagant and I'm still in the red after each paycheck. This is a combination of being a state funded agency, and a lack of fight for the majority of the staff on the Universities part. The quality will continue to dwindle if the good people that keep the place running can't afford to keep their lights on.
Pros
90% Tuition discount for full time employees, 50% for their dependents & spouses, great benefits, and work life balance.
Cons
unorganized, excessevie red tape in every sector, hardly living wages
Eductional instution
Basis Programmer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 17, 2016
Good employer. Interesting work, pleasant environment. Excellent opportunity to add skills and education. Co workers very helpful in helping new employees.
Pros
Good benefits
houskeeping
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 10, 2016
its a great place if we had more employees that want to be part of a team. I loved my job and im sad to go but its time I find a job that I can advance in ..
Pros
graet benifits
Cons
to many snitchy and poor workers
Fun job and fun environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARDecember 6, 2015
There are a lot of things that are required of a resident assistant but the most rewarding is being able to make a difference in the lives of the residents
Pros
Compensation was great
Cons
Advancement opportunities were next to none
Great place to work and have great benefits!
Imaging Tech/Computer Tech III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 18, 2015
I been in the position at this job for 10 years. I like the environment and the people I work with. The benefits are good, various types of jobs available, a great place work.
Pros
Pay for employee education 90% at any University of Arkansas school. Pay employee child 70%.
Cons
Clocking errors!!!!!
Coached Division 1 basketball as an assistant
Coach (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 18, 2015
I was the coach for the centers. I learned a lot about the fundamentals of team work. The coaching staff was awesome. The hardest part was the long hours a day and no job security. The most enjoyable part was coaching during the games and being on TV.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Bad compensation, no job security, if the head coach would take another job at a different college you would not be guarenteed a job.
Stable workplace
HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 1, 2016
It is a good work environment. Lack of upward mobility and the pay is low for the State of Arkansas. My experience was good and I learned many things regarding the University of Arkansas. The benefit of attending college while working there is a huge plus and if you work there, I would recommend attending class even if you only take one per semester. The employees are like family and the environment is friendly - the salary is paid once a month.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Very low salary, pay day is once a month
no review
Accountant II, Research Accounting (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 27, 2015
The job is relatively enjoyable, but quite repetitive and I enjoy more variety in the work I do. The benefits are good and with 12 paid holidays, we have plenty of time to relax, rejuvenate and unwind.
A very challenging job of educating mostly minority students from low income families and with low grade on achievement test after high school.
Associate Professor of Soil Science (Current Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARApril 10, 2016
Job of a teacher requires a good preparation of lectures and labs that are adapted to diverse learning capabilities of the students. It is very time consuming because I am the only instructor of soil sciences. Opportunities of research on problems faced by limited resources farmers exist. My supervisor are very understanding and knows that I work hard to assume my responsibilities. My colleagues are very friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job is a lower number of student at the university and especially in the plant-soil science disciplines. With lower enrollment, the job security may be in doubt despite my efforts to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I recommend students for internships and when they graduate and are hired after graduation. Also, I enjoy talking to farmers, addressing their concerns and producing meaningful impacts.
Pros
a very good professional environment
Cons
Support personnel requires constant supervision to ensure accurate research data
Good Workplace, Supportive Staff, Great learning environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 25, 2016
I am currently a graduate student pursuing a masters degree in percussion performance. I also am a Graduate Assistant, meaning that in addition to my responsibilities as a student, I am also held accountable for performing a role as an educator to undergraduate students. This provides me with the opportunity to collaborate with tenured faculty to further my understanding of how to function in a mature workplace to effectively and efficiently achieve my goals, and the goals of the department. The hardest part of my function is striking a good balance between my role as staff and my role as a student. It can become frustrating at times due to the work load. I spend approximately 12 or more hours a day doing work, homework, or other school/ work related activities. The most enjoyable part of my job is the relationships that I am able to enjoy with the faculty as well as the students. Because of my role in the department, I am able to have a unique relationship with both. This also helps to contribute to a supportive and friendly work environment.
Pros
relationships, work environment.
Cons
Long work day
Excellent
Assistant Professsor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 1, 2015
A typical day starts off with preparing to lecture 52 student nurses. My teaching strategies must include auditory, tactile, visual, and reflection. I have learned that you are never too old to learn. Although, my students are there to learn they have also taught me. Time management and organizational skills are very important when you have two classes with at least 52 students in each class. My colleagues have a mutual respect for each other. We view ourselves as professionals in a higher learning institution. The most difficult part of my job is losing students who were not successful in the program after sometimes much remediation and hard work. The most enjoyable being a part of students graduating and becoming productive professional nurses.
I worked there almost 12 years and was only overwhelmed the last 9 months in the CEA office. My work for 11 years for printing for was satisfying.
Reproduction Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 19, 2016
Overall the University is prone to very busy times, but for every day to be frustrating and producing anxiety because of lack of enough staff is some departments can make it a rough place to work certain positions.
Good retirement job or for students
AR/ Personnel Assistant II (Former Employee) –  ARFebruary 24, 2015
The organization is very good and they pay very little unless, you are in academics. The benefits are very good and you get 90% tuition, which makes for the poor compensation. It is a good job to retire but not a good job for carrier advancement. Once in the position you will have a hard time being promoted, but if you want to retire in the job you can count on being there forever.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
is a state agency and pays little
Publish or perish
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 1, 2016
Good co-workers who are easy to deal with and also pretty amenable work environment. Too much expectations on the employees.
Pros
Flexible timings
Cons
Excess work pesture
Exciting work environment
Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 24, 2016
Sonic is a wonderful place to work as a teenager stepping into the work life or someone who is looking to work their way up into management. The coworkers are great and the environment is great.
Cons
Short Breaks
Great
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 8, 2016
Very rewarding work. Enjoyed all aspects of the job. Co-workers and students were great. Nice atmosphere to work in. The hardest part was grading and lab set up.
Cons
Temporary position
Great Place
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 25, 2016
Fayetteville is a great place to live and the University is a wonderful place to work. The environment is student focused and is inviting to students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Pros
Pay, location
Cons
Location, politics
Terrible
Institutional Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 8, 2014
I had high hopes to move up with the U of A. It's been 14 months working custodial work, and not a single opportunity has come up. I get a clean rating between 1.3-1.7 when a 2.0 is what we are supposed to try to maintain. No raise. The management is terrible. They are never sure what to do and send us on assignments that are already done, or nearly done. That's 20 minutes of wasted time walking across campus. That's just one example. The students here have no responsibility to clean up after themselves, so imagine a trashed hotel room, only it includes the hallways, trash chutes, and restrooms. All trashed daily. I had to wash down vomit from the trash chute. Then I find out I'm in trouble for not knowing that a shower has only hot water...I don't take showers here, and don't use the showerhead for water! It's terrible here even if you have a degree. Idiots are in charge all over campus, and even a bachelor's in computer science with 2 years experience you'll only make $31k a year. I make $17.7 a year and have to put up with this bs daily.
Pros
tuition discount
Cons
terrible all around
good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMay 15, 2016
Good job but the salary is low, it compensate because you dont need to pay tuition. You need study and work at the same time.
Pros
No tuition
Cons
low salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arkansas. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3