University of Arkansas Employee Reviews in United States

Great to start out, but don't stick around
IT (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 28, 2016
It's a great place to get your feet under you. It's also a great place to work if you're completing a degree or have college-aged kids that want to attend. The tuition reduction is a big help.

Other benefits aren't what they used to be. You'll be told that the benefits "make up" for the low wages. This may have been true 20 years ago, but not now. The wages are well below average across the board, and the benefits keep getting reduced.

Promotion and raises don't happen generally. Bargain well for your starting salary, because it's unlikely you'll see more than 1-2% raise per year, and that may be in the form of a "bonus" that doesn't affect your actual salary.
I worked there almost 12 years and was only overwhelmed the last 9 months in the CEA office. My work for 11 years for printing for was satisfying.
Reproduction Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 19, 2016
Overall the University is prone to very busy times, but for every day to be frustrating and producing anxiety because of lack of enough staff is some departments can make it a rough place to work certain positions.
Exciting work environment
Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 24, 2016
Sonic is a wonderful place to work as a teenager stepping into the work life or someone who is looking to work their way up into management. The coworkers are great and the environment is great.
Cons
Short Breaks
Great Place
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 25, 2016
Fayetteville is a great place to live and the University is a wonderful place to work. The environment is student focused and is inviting to students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Pros
Pay, location
Cons
Location, politics
Excellent
Assistant Professsor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 1, 2015
A typical day starts off with preparing to lecture 52 student nurses. My teaching strategies must include auditory, tactile, visual, and reflection. I have learned that you are never too old to learn. Although, my students are there to learn they have also taught me. Time management and organizational skills are very important when you have two classes with at least 52 students in each class. My colleagues have a mutual respect for each other. We view ourselves as professionals in a higher learning institution. The most difficult part of my job is losing students who were not successful in the program after sometimes much remediation and hard work. The most enjoyable being a part of students graduating and becoming productive professional nurses.
Wonderful work environment
Lending Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARNovember 2, 2015
Working here I had the best mentors to teach me and nourish me with supervisory skills. Managing staff was an excellent experience and something that I am skilled at doing. I worked my way up through each position within my unit until I was the unit supervisor. It was one of the best jobs I've had. Nothing but good things to say.
Pros
Learning environment, good experience
Cons
It is a good place to be a student
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  ArkansasMarch 22, 2016
Good life quality with comparative OK engineering school.
Electrical Engineering is growing with a fast pace but there is still major improvement needed!
Very productive high energy job
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 17, 2016
I learned so much from this job I had training in so many different areas such as AP office, assistant to the buyer and customer service and retail.
Cons
Very challenging and fun Place to work
Intern - INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS OFFICE (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARFebruary 9, 2016
I am really enjoying working at UAFS. Excellent customer service experience. Daily contact with people from all over the world.
Pros
Experience
Excellent peers
Project/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, ARApril 15, 2016
The University of Arkansas was a great place to work because its mission was one of education and grooming our youth to be productive members of society.
Great place to work.
Academic Tutor/Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 8, 2016
Great place to work. Great salary, great benefits and great work life balance. Only worked as a student but I would definitely recommend it to anybody.
Eductional instution
Basis Programmer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 17, 2016
Good employer. Interesting work, pleasant environment. Excellent opportunity to add skills and education. Co workers very helpful in helping new employees.
Pros
Good benefits
houskeeping
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 10, 2016
its a great place if we had more employees that want to be part of a team. I loved my job and im sad to go but its time I find a job that I can advance in ..
Pros
graet benifits
Cons
to many snitchy and poor workers
Fun job and fun environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARDecember 6, 2015
There are a lot of things that are required of a resident assistant but the most rewarding is being able to make a difference in the lives of the residents
Pros
Compensation was great
Cons
Advancement opportunities were next to none
Great place to work and have great benefits!
Imaging Tech/Computer Tech III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 18, 2015
I been in the position at this job for 10 years. I like the environment and the people I work with. The benefits are good, various types of jobs available, a great place work.
Pros
Pay for employee education 90% at any University of Arkansas school. Pay employee child 70%.
Cons
Clocking errors!!!!!
Great Culture. Poor Pay. Riddled in Red Tape
Financial Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJanuary 6, 2016
The University of Arkansas is a great work environment. The problem however is that all of the staff unless your in the upper echelons of the system get paid at least 15k less a year than they deserve. If it weren't for the 90% tuition discount I wouldn't stay on, and sadly not because I don't like what I do, or the people and culture that I am with, but because my job hardly equates to a living wage as a single parent trying to afford the bare minimum of bills. Car payment, insurance, phone, rent, utilities, daycare.. nothing extravagant and I'm still in the red after each paycheck. This is a combination of being a state funded agency, and a lack of fight for the majority of the staff on the Universities part. The quality will continue to dwindle if the good people that keep the place running can't afford to keep their lights on.
Pros
90% Tuition discount for full time employees, 50% for their dependents & spouses, great benefits, and work life balance.
Cons
unorganized, excessevie red tape in every sector, hardly living wages
good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMay 15, 2016
Good job but the salary is low, it compensate because you dont need to pay tuition. You need study and work at the same time.
Pros
No tuition
Cons
low salary
Fast paced and being able to network
Development Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of ArkansasNovember 11, 2015
Coworkers get along pretty well, management is always understanding about responsibilities in school whenever there is a school project to be completed.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Not much free time
A very challenging job of educating mostly minority students from low income families and with low grade on achievement test after high school.
Associate Professor of Soil Science (Current Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARApril 10, 2016
Job of a teacher requires a good preparation of lectures and labs that are adapted to diverse learning capabilities of the students. It is very time consuming because I am the only instructor of soil sciences. Opportunities of research on problems faced by limited resources farmers exist. My supervisor are very understanding and knows that I work hard to assume my responsibilities. My colleagues are very friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job is a lower number of student at the university and especially in the plant-soil science disciplines. With lower enrollment, the job security may be in doubt despite my efforts to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I recommend students for internships and when they graduate and are hired after graduation. Also, I enjoy talking to farmers, addressing their concerns and producing meaningful impacts.
Pros
a very good professional environment
Cons
Support personnel requires constant supervision to ensure accurate research data
Good place
Post-Doctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJanuary 8, 2016
I enjoyed my almost two years of work there. It was so cold in wnter and not too many events but it was good anyway. My day started at 8.30and finished at 5.30

4.3