University of Arkansas Employee Reviews

Great opportunity to make a difference in our society.
iConnect Event Planning Chair (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARDecember 13, 2013
A typical day as the Event Planning Chair for the iConnect group involves creating 4 or more activities (I usually provide 6 options) for the mentor families to do. The posting includes: the Activity, Significance, and a Hint for each activity. I mainly connect mentor families with information to resources off and on campus. An example would be of a location on campus where they can rent a laptop at no charge, or finding what the extended hours for the Mullins Library during this season. I speak in front of the mentor families every month during our general assembly meeting and organize seating, music, news, and always seek to improve our meetings and presentations.

As a team we constantly work together, last month I contacted our Communication Marketing chairmen and collaborated to engage and attract more social media attention. This resulted in a very successful event called ‘What Connects Us.”

The hardest part of the job would have to be accommodating to everyones schedules. Different class and work schedules can mean for late evening meetings.

The most enjoyable part of this job has been to see the bonds that have been created through this organization. Mentor families provide support for one another through out the semester, and have become life long companions.
Terrible
Institutional Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 8, 2014
I had high hopes to move up with the U of A. It's been 14 months working custodial work, and not a single opportunity has come up. I get a clean rating between 1.3-1.7 when a 2.0 is what we are supposed to try to maintain. No raise. The management is terrible. They are never sure what to do and send us on assignments that are already done, or nearly done. That's 20 minutes of wasted time walking across campus. That's just one example. The students here have no responsibility to clean up after themselves, so imagine a trashed hotel room, only it includes the hallways, trash chutes, and restrooms. All trashed daily. I had to wash down vomit from the trash chute. Then I find out I'm in trouble for not knowing that a shower has only hot water...I don't take showers here, and don't use the showerhead for water! It's terrible here even if you have a degree. Idiots are in charge all over campus, and even a bachelor's in computer science with 2 years experience you'll only make $31k a year. I make $17.7 a year and have to put up with this bs daily.
Pros
tuition discount
Cons
terrible all around
Productive and quiet work environment
Lab Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 5, 2014
A typical day at work, begins with logging into the system, and taking my seat at my desk. As the day proceeds, I am given the variety of task: undoing paper jams, scanning/coping items, working in Microsoft Programs, answering phone calls, and most of all providing a patient ear for the student I am working with. The two most valuable things I have learned at this job, is to not take anything for granted, and time management. I see people everyday, who lack the knowledge that I have in computers, and electronic systems; it just comes natural for me. This job calls for you to be attentive no matter what time of day, if you are on the clock, your time has to be spread out evenly among those that need assistance. No one person is more important then the next. The hardest part of the job is working my 9am-5pm shift on Saturdays, because that is our slowest day, other than that the job is well developed. The most enjoyable thing about my job is I get to do what I love, and that's help others. This job fuels my passion for meeting others needs.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
n/a
Great Culture. Poor Pay. Riddled in Red Tape
Financial Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJanuary 6, 2016
The University of Arkansas is a great work environment. The problem however is that all of the staff unless your in the upper echelons of the system get paid at least 15k less a year than they deserve. If it weren't for the 90% tuition discount I wouldn't stay on, and sadly not because I don't like what I do, or the people and culture that I am with, but because my job hardly equates to a living wage as a single parent trying to afford the bare minimum of bills. Car payment, insurance, phone, rent, utilities, daycare.. nothing extravagant and I'm still in the red after each paycheck. This is a combination of being a state funded agency, and a lack of fight for the majority of the staff on the Universities part. The quality will continue to dwindle if the good people that keep the place running can't afford to keep their lights on.
Pros
90% Tuition discount for full time employees, 50% for their dependents & spouses, great benefits, and work life balance.
Cons
unorganized, excessevie red tape in every sector, hardly living wages
Productive, Goal Oriented, & Supportive Environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 8, 2014
A typical day may start anytime between 5 and 9 am depending on the schedule for the day but it is not hard to establish a routine. Most days involve testing exercise products and athletes/subjects in the Human Performance Lab, teaching a class or two, studying for an exam, helping a co-worker with a project, fixing something, and responding to various emails. I have learned numerous subjects like Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, Muscle Metabolism, among many others, all of which encompass Exercise Science as it relates to Kinesiology. I have also benefited from teaching classes that vary between fitness instruction to class lectures. The hardest part of the job is time-management. Being a full-time graduate student, teaching classes, and preforming research for various funding companies is very time consuming and it is helpful to be very organized and planned. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with athletes and companies that seek to promote healthy lifestyles.
Collaboration is honored here as well as initiative
Graduate Assistant and Master's Student (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 18, 2014
My boss is tied for the other most enjoyable feature of my job. She is the reason that I love my job. She makes a lot of analyses of ways that I can improve a project or area and ways that I can help her. She's a professor and a very hard worker. She makes things happen and I like to make sure that I help however I can.

The other most enjoyable feature of my job is my freedom of creativity, suggestion, and cooperation. I am working a lot on graphic design and project and event coordination. I am also participating in departmental liaising and cooperation.

I work alone at the hours that are best for my schedule. I have to be detail oriented and large picture oriented. I have to be timely and flexible.

My co-workers are anyone that I could possibly be in communication with for cooperation at the University. The help for any project is potentially endless as many groups, departments, and programs have similar goals. Primarily, my coworker is my boss, as she is the most concerned and involved with each project.
Pros
boss, creativity, implementation, goals, analysis, responsiveness
Cons
finances
Beautiful Place to Work and Friendly People
Payment Solutions Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 17, 2014
I've worked at the University for over 16 years now. The campus is a wonderful place to come to work everyday. You have several places to eat close by and even some quick shopping spots for grabbing something on your way home after work.

Work life here is very laid back and easy going. There are a few moments where you may have a time crunch, but most of the time you can work on projects peacefully.

There is very little room for actual advancement here. Most people that work here have been here a very long time and aren't about to budge. So, you don't really have much of a ladder here. The pay is actually pretty good, but don't expect to make what you would in the private sector. What you get in return is a nice working environment and job security.
Pros
comfortable woking environment, discounts on tickets
Cons
no upword movement, sometimes boring
Great environment all around.
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARFebruary 25, 2015
A typical day at the University includes making copies for professors, creating spreadsheets of information for easy access to the department, creating flyers, and building great relationships with my professors and coworkers.

I've learned how a university works together. As a student, I never thought of all of the behind the scenes work that goes into each class.

My superiors are fantastic and I've never worked with a group of higher ups that I've enjoyed more. I enjoy working with my coworkers just as much. I have yet to experience a work day with less than the best attitudes.

I would say the most difficult part of my job is misunderstandings. A few professors have difficulty explaining exactly what it is they are wanting when they ask something of me so it's hard to walk them through it sometimes.

The most enjoyable part of my job is making work connections. I've met professors through my job and later had them as a professor for a course so it makes the entire experience so much better.
Silo mentality
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 19, 2012
This university is not a very good place to work. I'm sure there are good departments, but overall it is stressful and there is very little support from management. The HR and Affirmative Action departments are predatory. There are no employee advocates anywhere. If there is a conflict between a manager and an employee, it makes no difference what the conflict is about. The employee will be fired. When Affirmative Action had a better grievance officer, I think employees had better outcomes. I think this place sucks the life out of most people who aren't part of the upper 10% in pay and status. I cannot believe they win a family friendly award from the governor's office every year. This says a lot about the state of employment in Arkansas. If this is a good employer, the options are pretty bad.
Pros
some departments have flexibility in scheduling work and family
Cons
uncaring administration, poor pay, little job security, demeaning attitudes by administrators
Faculty Assistant in the University of Arkansas Quality Writing Center
Faculty Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 11, 2012
Like most people fortunate enough to work in the Quality Writing Center, I enjoyed working with a group of people who were extremely professional yet fun loving. The management (co-directors) let the employees know what was expected of them and then let them do their required work. The Co-Directors were competent people who hired competent people or at least people who they trained to be competent--and because of this trait, the Co-Directors were excellent leadership role models. Added to this positive experience is the fact that my co-workers were all amazing people who were working in the Center and taking classes (just as I was). Some were taking and teaching classes, also, so I saw a variety of co-workers finding creative solutions to scheduling and other employment issues. I feel like the benefits of working in the QWC far outway the low monetary compensation I (and all of us who worked there) received during my employment there.
Very enlightening and fulfilling work experience.
Library Specialist (Former Employee) –  Special Collections DepartmentMay 14, 2013
The Dale Bumpers Senatorial collection consists of about 1500 boxes. A typical day consists of gathering the materials, consolidating the similar items, and coming up with a comprehensible description in the Excel finding aid, so as to make it accessible to researchers, and also translating the data from excel to an HTML format, called EAD (Encoded Archival Description). Working on this project has taught me many aspects of the legislative process, on top of how to organize data in spreadsheets, and the basics of HTML coding. This is a team-oriented project so it has also been a good experience to work productively with my co-workers. The hardest parts of the job would have to be the tedious duties, like sticking labels on folders. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things about history everyday.
Fantastic Learning Experience
Computer Lab Technician II (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 5, 2015
Daily assistance of students and staff with technical needs and questions. Maintaining of lab environs, supplies and health of the PC and Macintosh computers.

Access to on the job training modules online. Furthering my understanding of available software for more in depth answers to questions from our customers.

Management was very supportive and quick to resolve issues both personal and for the daily operations of the labs. Yearly reviews were fair and accurate.

Being on the graveyard shift, my contact with co-workers was limited, but always productive, professional and personable. Shift change was always accompanied by information exchange that included thoughts and facts about the shift and any recommendations or requests for procedural changes or supplies.
Pros
working with students to further their academic aspirations.
Cons
occassional neccesity to enforce the rules.
Excellent
Assistant Professsor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 1, 2015
A typical day starts off with preparing to lecture 52 student nurses. My teaching strategies must include auditory, tactile, visual, and reflection. I have learned that you are never too old to learn. Although, my students are there to learn they have also taught me. Time management and organizational skills are very important when you have two classes with at least 52 students in each class. My colleagues have a mutual respect for each other. We view ourselves as professionals in a higher learning institution. The most difficult part of my job is losing students who were not successful in the program after sometimes much remediation and hard work. The most enjoyable being a part of students graduating and becoming productive professional nurses.
Great place to learn and a wonderful working environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, AROctober 17, 2013
Learned a lot as a Graduate student. As a part of my masters thesis and Phd Dissertation, I worked on various intervention strategies to control Campylobacter in broiler chickens.

I get to work with chickens as a part of my in vivo studies. I was responsible for the handling, care and feeding of the birds throughout the experiment period. I enjoyed working with live animals.

I isolated probiotic bacteria from chickens and evaluated their efficacy to reduce Campylobacter in broiler chickens. Developed Strategies further enhance the efficacy of probiotic isolates to reduce foodborne pathogens

I got the oppurtunity to teach Cardiovascular physiology to Graduate students, which I enjoyed a lot.

The hardest part working with animal models is so much variability in results, which is difficult to analyze and arrive at conclusions

Skills: Necropsy, microbiological techniques, working with foodborne pathogens, sterile techniques, media preparation, microbiology
Hog Caller Typical Day
Hog Caller (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMay 16, 2014
Work usually starts at 5:15PM, unless you work on a Sunday - then work starts either at 1:45PM or 5:15PM. Employees have to be current university students. Everyone comes in prior to 5:15PM, finds their assigned cubicle, and prepares to call alumni or friends of the university. The managers are also current students themselves which makes for a professional but laid-back environment. All of my co-workers are current students; this makes it easy to obtain friends and relate to one another well. The hardest part of the job is getting friends/alumni of the university to make a financial contribution to the university. In spite of this, the most enjoyable part is spending time alongside my fellow co-workers because of the energy they bring to the call center.
Pros
ability to eat while working
Cons
no breaks
Great place if you love repetitive work
Assistant in a certain office (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMay 31, 2015
It was fun but when you do better at a job, those that you work with will become threatened. It's the same thing everyday and those who think they know everything will advance quicker than you. Everyone sleeps around with either those in the same offices or in different departments. It gets boring very quickly. Supervisors will try to make you feel like you are suppose to be scared of them. The friends that you think you have made on that campus well turn on you in a heart beat. Keep to yourself while working here.
Pros
M-F job
Cons
Soap opera central, lousy pay for the amount of stuff you have to deal with.
Engaging and encouraging workplace that cultivates professional and personal growth
Graduate Assistant Academic Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 6, 2014
Laid back work environment with a culture of efficiency and development. High standards for exemplary work balanced with expectation of friendly professional relationships. Long hours with the encouragement of a balance healthy life outside of the office.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing student athletes Improve toward graduation while also watching them excel athletically.

very positive attitudes and resonances among staff. Everyone works together for the betterment of the department, and athletics as whole, with a focus on individual character development and the end goal of athlete graduation.
Pros
woulderful work environment, laid back culture
Cons
long hours, some late night and weekend work
Informative Information/Introduction in Division I Athletics
Managed Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 16, 2012
For a typical day at work, I would come in and set up modalities and athletes would come in if any treatment or rehabilitation was needed, any pre-game/practice taping/bracing would be done and practice or the game would be covered. I enjoyed the management coaches and athletes that I worked with I learned many things about the policies and procedures within the NCAA. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around the athletes and being able to not only help with physical injuries, but with other problems. The hardest part of the job would be sometimes identifying injuries and compromising with coaches to figure out what the best method of treatment would be.
Pros
exposure to division i athletics
Cons
minimal pay
Job has possitve qualities
Program Assistant/Nutrition Educator (Current Employee) –  Marion, ARSeptember 29, 2014
My job requires recruiting participants for my program area, along with conducting nutrition classes, and submitting required reports.
This job has allowed me to sharpen my communication and presentation skills. Management has been a great help in directing and advising with difficult program situations.
The most difficult part of the job is recruiting willing participants for the program as many are not willing to change their nutritional habits. Also traveling over the entire county in order to reach participants.
The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting and interacting with participants. I have found new friends within these groups. I enjoy bringing the information to these willing participants.
Pros
participants
Cons
low salaries, travel, recruiting
A typical life-guarding job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 11, 2014
This is a typical life-guard job. You have to check the pool, always be on the stand, and always be attentive to those who are in the water. I learned a great deal of responsibility, because you have to be on alert all day long, because anything can happen.

There was not too much that was challenging, except always paying attention for 8 hours in a row. It can get very repetitive, and it teaches you patience as well as some degree of mental fortitude.
Pros
work in a pool, get to swim laps every day, and interact with people who enjoy the pool.
Cons
long days mean you are staring at water for 8 hours in a row.

4.3