University of Arkansas Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work.
Academic Tutor/Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 8, 2016
Great place to work. Great salary, great benefits and great work life balance. Only worked as a student but I would definitely recommend it to anybody.
Terrible
Institutional Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 8, 2014
I had high hopes to move up with the U of A. It's been 14 months working custodial work, and not a single opportunity has come up. I get a clean rating between 1.3-1.7 when a 2.0 is what we are supposed to try to maintain. No raise. The management is terrible. They are never sure what to do and send us on assignments that are already done, or nearly done. That's 20 minutes of wasted time walking across campus. That's just one example. The students here have no responsibility to clean up after themselves, so imagine a trashed hotel room, only it includes the hallways, trash chutes, and restrooms. All trashed daily. I had to wash down vomit from the trash chute. Then I find out I'm in trouble for not knowing that a shower has only hot water...I don't take showers here, and don't use the showerhead for water! It's terrible here even if you have a degree. Idiots are in charge all over campus, and even a bachelor's in computer science with 2 years experience you'll only make $31k a year. I make $17.7 a year and have to put up with this bs daily.
Pros
tuition discount
Cons
terrible all around
Productive workplace
Chargee de cours/tutrice (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, AROctober 9, 2015
Productive workplace with enthusiastic and helpful co-workers. A place where I learned a lot and improved on my communication and written skills.
Enjoyed contact with customers and students.
Pros
celebration of anniversaries
Cons
Very productive high energy job
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 17, 2016
I learned so much from this job I had training in so many different areas such as AP office, assistant to the buyer and customer service and retail.
Cons
Very challenging and fun Place to work
Intern - INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS OFFICE (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARFebruary 9, 2016
I am really enjoying working at UAFS. Excellent customer service experience. Daily contact with people from all over the world.
Pros
Experience
An okay Job
Cheddars (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 30, 2015
This job was okay for the most part. Management at that time was not good for business. I had a hard time trying to communicate with angry managers.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Management service
Good retirement job or for students
AR/ Personnel Assistant II (Former Employee) –  ARFebruary 24, 2015
The organization is very good and they pay very little unless, you are in academics. The benefits are very good and you get 90% tuition, which makes for the poor compensation. It is a good job to retire but not a good job for carrier advancement. Once in the position you will have a hard time being promoted, but if you want to retire in the job you can count on being there forever.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
is a state agency and pays little
no review
Accountant II, Research Accounting (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 27, 2015
The job is relatively enjoyable, but quite repetitive and I enjoy more variety in the work I do. The benefits are good and with 12 paid holidays, we have plenty of time to relax, rejuvenate and unwind.
Wonderful work environment
Lending Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARNovember 2, 2015
Working here I had the best mentors to teach me and nourish me with supervisory skills. Managing staff was an excellent experience and something that I am skilled at doing. I worked my way up through each position within my unit until I was the unit supervisor. It was one of the best jobs I've had. Nothing but good things to say.
Pros
Learning environment, good experience
Good place
Post-Doctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJanuary 8, 2016
I enjoyed my almost two years of work there. It was so cold in wnter and not too many events but it was good anyway. My day started at 8.30and finished at 5.30
Beautiful Place to Work and Friendly People
Payment Solutions Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 17, 2014
I've worked at the University for over 16 years now. The campus is a wonderful place to come to work everyday. You have several places to eat close by and even some quick shopping spots for grabbing something on your way home after work.

Work life here is very laid back and easy going. There are a few moments where you may have a time crunch, but most of the time you can work on projects peacefully.

There is very little room for actual advancement here. Most people that work here have been here a very long time and aren't about to budge. So, you don't really have much of a ladder here. The pay is actually pretty good, but don't expect to make what you would in the private sector. What you get in return is a nice working environment and job security.
Pros
comfortable woking environment, discounts on tickets
Cons
no upword movement, sometimes boring
Truly enjoyed it.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARDecember 6, 2015
My bosses were phenomenal. I'm afraid I won't ever have another job with that level of freedom and independence while working for someone.
Engaging and encouraging workplace that cultivates professional and personal growth
Graduate Assistant Academic Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 6, 2014
Laid back work environment with a culture of efficiency and development. High standards for exemplary work balanced with expectation of friendly professional relationships. Long hours with the encouragement of a balance healthy life outside of the office.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing student athletes Improve toward graduation while also watching them excel athletically.

very positive attitudes and resonances among staff. Everyone works together for the betterment of the department, and athletics as whole, with a focus on individual character development and the end goal of athlete graduation.
Pros
woulderful work environment, laid back culture
Cons
long hours, some late night and weekend work
Difficult course work
Full-time student (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARDecember 20, 2015
I had very early classes as well as very late classes. I took several courses in TESL, Spanish, as well as Literary works.
Pros
I was blessed to go.
Cons
Hard work.
Silo mentality
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 19, 2012
This university is not a very good place to work. I'm sure there are good departments, but overall it is stressful and there is very little support from management. The HR and Affirmative Action departments are predatory. There are no employee advocates anywhere. If there is a conflict between a manager and an employee, it makes no difference what the conflict is about. The employee will be fired. When Affirmative Action had a better grievance officer, I think employees had better outcomes. I think this place sucks the life out of most people who aren't part of the upper 10% in pay and status. I cannot believe they win a family friendly award from the governor's office every year. This says a lot about the state of employment in Arkansas. If this is a good employer, the options are pretty bad.
Pros
some departments have flexibility in scheduling work and family
Cons
uncaring administration, poor pay, little job security, demeaning attitudes by administrators
Faculty Assistant in the University of Arkansas Quality Writing Center
Faculty Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 11, 2012
Like most people fortunate enough to work in the Quality Writing Center, I enjoyed working with a group of people who were extremely professional yet fun loving. The management (co-directors) let the employees know what was expected of them and then let them do their required work. The Co-Directors were competent people who hired competent people or at least people who they trained to be competent--and because of this trait, the Co-Directors were excellent leadership role models. Added to this positive experience is the fact that my co-workers were all amazing people who were working in the Center and taking classes (just as I was). Some were taking and teaching classes, also, so I saw a variety of co-workers finding creative solutions to scheduling and other employment issues. I feel like the benefits of working in the QWC far outway the low monetary compensation I (and all of us who worked there) received during my employment there.
Fantastic Learning Experience
Computer Lab Technician II (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 5, 2015
Daily assistance of students and staff with technical needs and questions. Maintaining of lab environs, supplies and health of the PC and Macintosh computers.

Access to on the job training modules online. Furthering my understanding of available software for more in depth answers to questions from our customers.

Management was very supportive and quick to resolve issues both personal and for the daily operations of the labs. Yearly reviews were fair and accurate.

Being on the graveyard shift, my contact with co-workers was limited, but always productive, professional and personable. Shift change was always accompanied by information exchange that included thoughts and facts about the shift and any recommendations or requests for procedural changes or supplies.
Pros
working with students to further their academic aspirations.
Cons
occassional neccesity to enforce the rules.
Great experience
SPANISH TEACHER (Former Employee) –  ARNovember 1, 2015
The pay is too little for TA's but the knowledge and experience is very valuable. I would recommend it to all. The city of Fayetteville is a wonderful place.
Great learning experience in the field of research.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 1, 2012
I very much enjoyed learning the ropes of psychological research. My supervisor and adviser were very helpful. The lab itself was small and personal. Even the research assistants were able to give feedback and impact the direction of the research. At the end of my work here, I feel very prepared to move on in my career.
Pros
challenging, exciting learning opportunity.
Cons
the only compensation was course credit.
Great place if you love repetitive work
Assistant in a certain office (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMay 31, 2015
It was fun but when you do better at a job, those that you work with will become threatened. It's the same thing everyday and those who think they know everything will advance quicker than you. Everyone sleeps around with either those in the same offices or in different departments. It gets boring very quickly. Supervisors will try to make you feel like you are suppose to be scared of them. The friends that you think you have made on that campus well turn on you in a heart beat. Keep to yourself while working here.
Pros
M-F job
Cons
Soap opera central, lousy pay for the amount of stuff you have to deal with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arkansas. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3