University of Arkansas Employee Reviews

Relaxing environment, allowed to personalize teaching methods
Geoscience Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 3, 2016
The geoscience department at the University of Arkansas allows the teaching assistants to create their own labs and instruct in a personalized way to students depending on how the class responds to teaching styles. Lab sizes are manageable (20-24 students).
Terrible
Institutional Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 8, 2014
I had high hopes to move up with the U of A. It's been 14 months working custodial work, and not a single opportunity has come up. I get a clean rating between 1.3-1.7 when a 2.0 is what we are supposed to try to maintain. No raise. The management is terrible. They are never sure what to do and send us on assignments that are already done, or nearly done. That's 20 minutes of wasted time walking across campus. That's just one example. The students here have no responsibility to clean up after themselves, so imagine a trashed hotel room, only it includes the hallways, trash chutes, and restrooms. All trashed daily. I had to wash down vomit from the trash chute. Then I find out I'm in trouble for not knowing that a shower has only hot water...I don't take showers here, and don't use the showerhead for water! It's terrible here even if you have a degree. Idiots are in charge all over campus, and even a bachelor's in computer science with 2 years experience you'll only make $31k a year. I make $17.7 a year and have to put up with this bs daily.
Pros
tuition discount
Cons
terrible all around
Coached Division 1 basketball as an assistant
Coach (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 18, 2015
I was the coach for the centers. I learned a lot about the fundamentals of team work. The coaching staff was awesome. The hardest part was the long hours a day and no job security. The most enjoyable part was coaching during the games and being on TV.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Bad compensation, no job security, if the head coach would take another job at a different college you would not be guarenteed a job.
productive and supportive work environment
Program Associate Soybeans (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 5, 2016
I love the extension service and will always refer people to them. They are educated and helpful to farmers and ranchers. The services run from the age of 5 to adults.
Work Study in Supply Chain Department
Supply Chain Department, WCOB (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 2, 2016
Temporary position in Walton College of Business (WCOB). I began the job this semester and it entails completing jobs as assigned. The position is very exciting and I enjoy being part of the Department staff.
Faculty Assistant in the University of Arkansas Quality Writing Center
Faculty Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 11, 2012
Like most people fortunate enough to work in the Quality Writing Center, I enjoyed working with a group of people who were extremely professional yet fun loving. The management (co-directors) let the employees know what was expected of them and then let them do their required work. The Co-Directors were competent people who hired competent people or at least people who they trained to be competent--and because of this trait, the Co-Directors were excellent leadership role models. Added to this positive experience is the fact that my co-workers were all amazing people who were working in the Center and taking classes (just as I was). Some were taking and teaching classes, also, so I saw a variety of co-workers finding creative solutions to scheduling and other employment issues. I feel like the benefits of working in the QWC far outway the low monetary compensation I (and all of us who worked there) received during my employment there.
Inclusive Workplace
Athletic Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 27, 2016
Type of job where you love going in everyday. Everyone is productive and the work environment is extremely positive. Lots of opportunity to gain experience.
Exciting work environment
Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 24, 2016
Sonic is a wonderful place to work as a teenager stepping into the work life or someone who is looking to work their way up into management. The coworkers are great and the environment is great.
Cons
Short Breaks
Great place to work and have great benefits!
Imaging Tech/Computer Tech III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 18, 2015
I been in the position at this job for 10 years. I like the environment and the people I work with. The benefits are good, various types of jobs available, a great place work.
Pros
Pay for employee education 90% at any University of Arkansas school. Pay employee child 70%.
Cons
Clocking errors!!!!!
Challenging and learning work place
SI Drill Instructor/Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 24, 2016
The most important aspect of this job is that it allows you to learn everyday. There are multiple math equations in a lot of those classes and everyday is a learning process.
Good retirement job or for students
AR/ Personnel Assistant II (Former Employee) –  ARFebruary 24, 2015
The organization is very good and they pay very little unless, you are in academics. The benefits are very good and you get 90% tuition, which makes for the poor compensation. It is a good job to retire but not a good job for carrier advancement. Once in the position you will have a hard time being promoted, but if you want to retire in the job you can count on being there forever.
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
Is a State Agency and pays little
a relaxed easy-going and fun job to network and develop new skills
Office Assistant/ Work-Study Student (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff ArkansasMay 17, 2012
i learned alot about office work. i enjoyed working with students and faculty. My scheduling was very flexible to my classes. The Chemistry staff was really nice and i was not overwhelmed with a huge amount of work. The hardest thing was the tedious job of sitting at the front desk waiting to assist but i loved working as an Office Assistant.
Pros
flexible, learning new tasks, great interactions, networking, helpful staff
Cons
work-study job, limited pay, non benifits job, slow and tedious, no backup, not a lot to do
Great learning experience in the field of research.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 1, 2012
I very much enjoyed learning the ropes of psychological research. My supervisor and adviser were very helpful. The lab itself was small and personal. Even the research assistants were able to give feedback and impact the direction of the research. At the end of my work here, I feel very prepared to move on in my career.
Pros
challenging, exciting learning opportunity.
Cons
the only compensation was course credit.
no review
Accountant II, Research Accounting (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 27, 2015
The job is relatively enjoyable, but quite repetitive and I enjoy more variety in the work I do. The benefits are good and with 12 paid holidays, we have plenty of time to relax, rejuvenate and unwind.
Great
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 8, 2016
Very rewarding work. Enjoyed all aspects of the job. Co-workers and students were great. Nice atmosphere to work in. The hardest part was grading and lab set up.
Cons
Temporary position
Publish or perish
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 1, 2016
Good co-workers who are easy to deal with and also pretty amenable work environment. Too much expectations on the employees.
Pros
Flexible timings
Cons
Excess work pesture
Great experience at "The Flagship of the Delta"
GED Coordinator/Student Records Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARJune 2, 2014
Great company with teamwork/family atmosphere. I recommend this institution to anyone looking to work in the education field or anyone who has a desire to further their education at a college university.
Pros
Family atmosphere, faculty/staff appreciation events, great benefits
Cons
I worked there almost 12 years and was only overwhelmed the last 9 months in the CEA office. My work for 11 years for printing for was satisfying.
Reproduction Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 19, 2016
Overall the University is prone to very busy times, but for every day to be frustrating and producing anxiety because of lack of enough staff is some departments can make it a rough place to work certain positions.
Great Place
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 25, 2016
Fayetteville is a great place to live and the University is a wonderful place to work. The environment is student focused and is inviting to students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Pros
Pay, location
Cons
Location, politics
Good R1 institution
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 18, 2015
University of Arkansas is a great institution to work for. It provides employees great compensations and great support for conducting research.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arkansas. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3