University of Arkansas

University of Arkansas Employer Reviews

Engaging and encouraging workplace that cultivates professional and personal growth
Graduate Assistant Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARMarch 6, 2014
Pros: woulderful work environment, laid back culture
Cons: long hours, some late night and weekend work
Laid back work environment with a culture of efficiency and development. High standards for exemplary work balanced with expectation of friendly professional relationships. Long hours with the encouragement of a balance healthy life outside of the office.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing student athletes Improve toward graduation while – more... also watching them excel athletically.

very positive attitudes and resonances among staff. Everyone works together for the betterment of the department, and athletics as whole, with a focus on individual character development and the end goal of athlete graduation. – less
Productive and quiet work environment
Lab Supervisor (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARMarch 5, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: n/a
A typical day at work, begins with logging into the system, and taking my seat at my desk. As the day proceeds, I am given the variety of task: undoing paper jams, scanning/coping items, working in Microsoft Programs, answering phone calls, and most of all providing a patient ear for the student I am working with. The two most valuable things I have – more... learned at this job, is to not take anything for granted, and time management. I see people everyday, who lack the knowledge that I have in computers, and electronic systems; it just comes natural for me. This job calls for you to be attentive no matter what time of day, if you are on the clock, your time has to be spread out evenly among those that need assistance. No one person is more important then the next. The hardest part of the job is working my 9am-5pm shift on Saturdays, because that is our slowest day, other than that the job is well developed. The most enjoyable thing about my job is I get to do what I love, and that's help others. This job fuels my passion for meeting others needs. – less
Great Benefits
Secretary II - Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: inexpensive tuition
Cons: low pay
I earned my undergraduate degree for practically nothing while I was working at the University of Arkansas and my children went there for 50% off of their tuition. You can't find benefits like that everywhere.
A nice place to work
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARFebruary 15, 2014
Working in the University of Arkansas is very nice. You are made to feel like you are part of the big You of A family. Very good work place.
Stable Employment
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: job stability
Cons: compensation
Worked at Razorback Transit. Not a difficult job, but not an inspiring one either.
Productive, Goal Oriented, & Supportive Environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARFebruary 8, 2014
A typical day may start anytime between 5 and 9 am depending on the schedule for the day but it is not hard to establish a routine. Most days involve testing exercise products and athletes/subjects in the Human Performance Lab, teaching a class or two, studying for an exam, helping a co-worker with a project, fixing something, and responding to various – more... emails. I have learned numerous subjects like Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, Muscle Metabolism, among many others, all of which encompass Exercise Science as it relates to Kinesiology. I have also benefited from teaching classes that vary between fitness instruction to class lectures. The hardest part of the job is time-management. Being a full-time graduate student, teaching classes, and preforming research for various funding companies is very time consuming and it is helpful to be very organized and planned. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with athletes and companies that seek to promote healthy lifestyles. – less
Overworked & under appreciated, micromanaged & not trusted
Payroll Officer /HR Specialist/Receptionist (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARFebruary 6, 2014
underpaid, overworked, not appreciated or trusted
i am considered a mature worker.
Maintenece
Maintenance (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARJanuary 25, 2014
The job is not a bad job. I worked hard and got paid decently. Just basic warehousing and general labor jobs.
Awful Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARJanuary 11, 2014
Graduating was nearly impossible, not only for me but for those who came after. I would not recommend the UoA for graduate work for anyone.
Student
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARJanuary 7, 2014
Student at u of a. loved the campus and the people. It was a great university
Working with elementary students improving their reading skills was very much a learing opportunity for both teacher and student.
Student Worker/Tutor (Former Employee), Greenland, ARDecember 31, 2013
I worked as a tutor during my financial aid award scholarship. Such a rewarding and challenging experience.
Exciting and Enlightening workplace
Instructor (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARDecember 20, 2013
Working as a teaching assistant is a great way to transition from a student to a full-time employee in the workplace. I definitely recommend it.
Great opportunity to make a difference in our society.
iConnect Event Planning Chair (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARDecember 13, 2013
A typical day as the Event Planning Chair for the iConnect group involves creating 4 or more activities (I usually provide 6 options) for the mentor families to do. The posting includes: the Activity, Significance, and a Hint for each activity. I mainly connect mentor families with information to resources off and on campus. An example would be of a – more... location on campus where they can rent a laptop at no charge, or finding what the extended hours for the Mullins Library during this season. I speak in front of the mentor families every month during our general assembly meeting and organize seating, music, news, and always seek to improve our meetings and presentations.

As a team we constantly work together, last month I contacted our Communication Marketing chairmen and collaborated to engage and attract more social media attention. This resulted in a very successful event called ‘What Connects Us.”

The hardest part of the job would have to be accommodating to everyones schedules. Different class and work schedules can mean for late evening meetings.

The most enjoyable part of this job has been to see the bonds that have been created through this organization. Mentor families provide support for one another through out the semester, and have become life long companions. – less
Great place for students to work
Clerk (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARDecember 5, 2013
Very easy work, plus free book rentals if you work there for 6 months.
Cool environment
Institutional Services Assistant (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARNovember 18, 2013
Cons: sporadic hours
I really enjoyed being around people my own age. I didn't enjoy the sporadic hours, temporary assignments, and weeks with no pay/no work. Other than that it is a good School to work at.
Great place to learn and a wonderful working environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Fayetteville, AROctober 17, 2013
Learned a lot as a Graduate student. As a part of my masters thesis and Phd Dissertation, I worked on various intervention strategies to control Campylobacter in broiler chickens.

I get to work with chickens as a part of my in vivo studies. I was responsible for the handling, care and feeding of the birds throughout the experiment period. I enjoyed – more... working with live animals.

I isolated probiotic bacteria from chickens and evaluated their efficacy to reduce Campylobacter in broiler chickens. Developed Strategies further enhance the efficacy of probiotic isolates to reduce foodborne pathogens

I got the oppurtunity to teach Cardiovascular physiology to Graduate students, which I enjoyed a lot.

The hardest part working with animal models is so much variability in results, which is difficult to analyze and arrive at conclusions

Skills: Necropsy, microbiological techniques, working with foodborne pathogens, sterile techniques, media preparation, microbiology – less
Research at the University of Arkansas
Research Assistant (RA) (Current Employee), Fayetteville, AROctober 16, 2013
The U of A has a good Psychology department and great faculty.
Very nice place to work
MBO folder operator (Former Employee), Fayetteville, AROctober 10, 2013
Very nice place to work, early to work, early to go home. I loved it
hard place towork
supervisor (Former Employee), fayetteville , ARSeptember 18, 2013
a lot of things have changed and is no longer fun to work at the U of A
Engaging Workplace
Research Intern (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARAugust 28, 2013
Worked with other interns as an REU intern. Most enjoyable was working well with others and obtaining help from others as well as providing help.