University of California, Irvine Employee Reviews

Good health benefits, good location
POSTDOCTORAL RESEACHER (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 10, 2017
Job environment is fairly nice. Health benefits are provided for all employee. Location is a huge plus for family because Irvine is one of the safest city in the US. However, housing prices including apartments are pretty high compared to LA cities.
PhD Degree
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 26, 2017
Typical graduate school experience. Long hours, low pay, having to TA and take classes while only publications actually matter. Be careful in choosing your lab as they will have a lot of control over your progress.
Pros
Flexible hours, complete job security
Cons
Low pay, long hours, stressful
Bookstore Accounts Payable Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 25, 2017
It's always busy during the day. The most enjoyable part of my employment at UCI is when I helped people and improved work procedures. Most Managers are great and nice.
Fast paced, Fun
Music Director (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 21, 2017
Being able to work with the Music Department at the University of California, Irvine was very rewarding. I learned a lot about the way programs are coordinated and managed. Everyone was for the most part very helpful when I had questions. Resources weren't always super available, but other that that, the hardest part was booking venues and times for concert and events for various choirs and coordinating that with the events calendar for the Music Department.
Research student
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 31, 2017
Great place to gain experience in translational and biomedical research. Ability to learn a variety of technical skills and lab skills from experienced research specialists.
Productive and enjoyable
Development Coordinator, School of Social Sciences (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 29, 2017
I approach each day as a fun and exciting challenge.

On a given day I set priorities for the week, review progress of existing projects, check calendar to determine appointment for the upcoming week, meet with team to discuss pressing issues.”

While I didn’t receive any guidance or assistance, I was expected to work independently and this encouraged me to use my own initiative and trust my own ideas and judgement.

What I like best about my job is that a primary responsibility involves interacting with employees on all different levels of the organization and across all functional areas. I love that I get to learn new things about the company/business/market/etc everyday,

In sum, UCI is a positive workplace because it encourages treating one another with respect, gratitude, trust and integrity inspiring one another at work.
Administrative Specialist and Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 24, 2017
In general this is a fantastic place to work. Benefits are great, the sense of community is great. Ideas are encouraged and welcomed. This is a very prestigious research university.
Pros
Diverse, pro-innovation, strong community
Fun, organized, relaxing,
Pledge Service Vice President (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 23, 2017
Volunteer position, unpaid. Just had to throw that out there, not complaining, but it seems like that's where this was going. APHIO was great for the time that I stayed there. No complaints or ping pong.
Great place for research and education
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 16, 2017
Great research opportunities offered for undergraduate students who are willing to apply for graduate schools or professional schools. Students are exposed to a variety of conferences and professional meetings.
Fun for students
Conversation Partner (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 14, 2017
I loved working as a conversation partner with international students. It opened me up to a lot of opportunity in meeting and interacting with others.
Pros
Working on campus
Cons
Few hours

Want to know more about University of California, Irvine?

Ask a question
A distinguished place to serve
Sr Exec Dir of Fdn and Corp Devel (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 10, 2017
UC Irvine was my all-time favorite place to work...but I retired after 12-years there. It was most successful and over the years, I became the university's most successful fundraisers.
Pros
atmosphere, surroundings, faculty, programs
Cons
Constant work, paying parking fees, high costs of health insurance
Great
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 6, 2017
Great research university. Had the opportunity to work with amazing world renowned professors and learn major life lessons that will apply to the real world setting.
fun to learn many experience
Junior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 20, 2017
I work as junior specialist. I was able to learn nanotechnology experience. I did many analysis. Professor is alway enthusiastic to help master student and worker. I have enjoyed working and learning at UCIrvine
Great Scientific Training
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 14, 2017
I learned to become a scientist at University of California Irvine while in the department of Chemistry. The academic standards are high. Students are required to learn proper control experiments. Reproducibility is required.
Great workplace
Student (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 11, 2017
There is a good work life balance. Working here is a great experience builder. Fun teams and work culture. Supervisors and management are very helpful in giving advice.
Fun Coworkers, but you should get paid more
Learning and Academic Resource Center Tutor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 28, 2017
The UC System expects a lot from it's students from tuition to housing. The UC system also expects a lot from it's student workers, in regards to hours and compensation. The UC does not provide fair wages to both student workers and other laborers on campus. It is a good place to work if a student has work-study, but students should look elsewhere for employment if they wish for better compensation.
more fun than east coast - so far
Cytopathology Fellow; ThinPrep Pap Test certified (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJune 14, 2017
Work is very busy here, but co-workers and people in general are easier to get along with and less type A than east coast. Work life balance is better than east coast, so far.
Great place to focus on school and meet awesome people.
Project Manager for Board Game Developer Tools (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 11, 2017
A competitive computer science program with great exposure to many technologies. The software engineering program is young, but well thought out with some amazing teachers.
Great Experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 23, 2017
It was a great opportunity to work within an education environment and seeing other students figuring out their passions and being part of a wonderful diverse University.
Extremely Productive and I get to collaborate with colleagues
Professor of Dance (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 17, 2017
I love what I do. My work place allows me to impact lives daily. My students come in ready to dance and embrace the creative thinking process. Everyday I learn something. I deal with a wide range of students' abilities ( beginning to advance) and all of their personalities ( excited, stressed, sore, tired and etc.). I seem to have created a good sense of balance when teaching movement and historical facts that still keeps my students engaged.
Pros
I get to work with creative minds
Cons
Classes are not long enough, no benifits