University of California, Irvine Employee Reviews

Good working environment and cooperative well among coworkers
Research Associate III (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 28, 2016
I learn to manage time for optimizing the work efficiency to reach the goal of study for experiments and documentation. Communicate and cooperate with other coworkers and students for achieving the same goal for research. Help the lab members to handle/resolve the problems and discuss the further directions of research. The enjoyable part of the job is novel idea of sciences and keeping updating/learning our knowledge/techniques.The hardiest part of the job is to deal with some problems with no clues to resolve (the complexity/diversity of the science).
Pros
Health care, flexible time
Teaching assistantships hard to come by
NSF Graduate Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 5, 2017
TA opportunities are not clear, and often do not allow students to support themselves. Also, many professors rely entirely on their TAs to teach their courses. This may be okay for students who want to go on to pedagogy, but not so much for students trying to get research jobs.
Chemistry Grad school is good
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 10, 2017
Overall, my graduate experience has been good. I've been exposed to state-of-the-art technologies and believe I have been prepared well for the transition to industry.
Good Work Environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 7, 2016
Good work environment. You are able to set your own schedule and work at your own pace. Very little direction.

It was nice being able to make each class my own and teaching a new set of undergraduates each quarter.
UCIMC is a great
Assistant Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 10, 2016
UCIMC is a great place and enviroment to work , i learned alot during the last two years about the usa system , the way i deal with HIPPA regulations, patient care and the basic research studies
Typical Office
Medical biller IV Lead (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 26, 2016
Management is stuck in their old ways of doing business. Billers take the easy way out in resolving the claims. Minimum training with no support from management.
Pros
Cons
I had to pay for parking and walked 15 minutes to work.
Fun, Interactive
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 7, 2015
I love working for UC Irvine. It gives me the opportunity to grow and to learn without putting my school aside. I also get to built great relationships with full time staff as well as other students who work with me. We all get along and we are there to help each other--we are a big family.
I've learned a lot from the lab
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 1, 2015
I had a fun time during working in the lab, I have learned a lot molecular research such as protein purification and dialysis. I also learned how to detect the activity of a enzyme. My coworker was very patient and kind, we got along with each other very well.
A Vital Learning Experience
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 4, 2016
My initial lab experience consisted of executing titrations and basic acid/base reactions. Chemical disposal classes were interesting, and consisted of potentially life-saving facts.
Great University with a involved college culture
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 2, 2015
The University of California Irvine was not my first choice in education but it quickly became the best decision I could make. The involvement of the students was inspiring and the faculty were at the top of their field.
Pros
Amazing professors and faculty
Cons
Not much weekend life
Great company to work at
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 21, 2015
I really enjoy working at this organization. Sadly, I am only contractual so I have to leave the company soon. I wish I could have stayed longer.

My colleagues are great to work with. My bosses are flexible with my schedule since I attend grad school full time as well. They are very supportive with my education so that is something I am very grateful for. I could not have finished my first year of grad school if they weren't emphatic with my situation.
Good opportunities for work, not many for advancement
Medical Physics Post Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 27, 2015
The work is very exciting and relevant to the medical field. We have the opportunity design new diagnostic equipment/software. The management is more focused on the commercial aspect of the work, as such progress can be slow. Most of my colleagues have left because there is little chance to advance in the field here.
Free and creative working environment
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 27, 2015
As a graduate student researcher, my typical day is a composition of advanced courses, research and paper writing, communication with professors and chatting with other PhDs. The best part of the work is that we have the chance to meet with excellent researchers and get inspired by them everyday. The most enjoyable part of the work is there are two Starbucks on campus.
Pros
flexible working schedule; high quality courses
Cons
relatively low income than full time job at industry
great university
graduate student (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 20, 2016
professor there is experienced, encouraging students to brainstorm, asking questions. have very useful practices.
Best Job ive had, Independent Work, Both Fun and Productive
Maintance Worker (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 10, 2015
We actually had the opportunity to stay on campus for the time period of the job. My group and i would wake up at 8, pick up cleaning utilities, such as degreaser, mops, ect, and we would get a list of 6 dorm room 1-4 bedrooms each. Hard Work but the experience and pay was all worth it
Pros
Lived on campus for a week
Cons
Short lunch breaks
excellent patient care and great team work
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 10, 2015
Great employee to work with. I have learned a lot of new skills and coordination, learned how to deal and support cancer patient, the hardest part of the job when I lose any of our patient after being working and helping them through their disease process. The most enjoyable part of the job, working as a team work to assist and satisfied patient during their treatment.
Pros
great team work
Cons
busy place
Great graduate program
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 14, 2015
I really like the chemistry graduate program here. The faculty and staff are very helpful. Great housing and health benefit is provided.
Pros
Great program with many devoted professors.
Cons
Hard to get in
Excellent place to work as a student.
Campus Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 4, 2014
UCI is a great place to work part-time as a student. The pay is above minimum wage, the hours are generally flexible, and the management are always willing to work with students. Work is generally stress-free and often has a lot of downtime to allow for studying and assignment completion at work. Valuable skills and work experience are given to students while they finish their education, and some even go on to graduate and stay with the school for a career.
Pros
Stress-free work, decent pay and hours, good management.
Academic environment that fosters collaboration
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 3, 2012
When you work for a university, you expect a typical academic environment. As such, things take a bit longer to get done simply because you have university hoops to jump through. Since it is a public university, the funding for projects isn't as available as it would be in an industry setting, but the culture is friendly and emphasis is placed on working with others. If you can forego pay for the prestige of working in a university, and you love working with others, it offers a great opportunity.
Pros
access to esteemed individuals, vibrant campus, diverse
Cons
pay
Rewarding to aid the higher educational goals of students
Licensing Director - Interim (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 4, 2013
A very dynamic, fast paced industry. While the main goal is to provided the tools/materials to aid students in achieving their educational goals, at times the administration would lose focus. It has become very decentralized and the vision and mission were not being met due to the increasing fiscal erosion, which added to the decline in employee morale.
Pros
Benefits, work schedule
Cons
Fiscal decline due to dependancy on state funds

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California, Irvine. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3