University of California, Irvine Employee Reviews

Extremely Productive and I get to collaborate with colleagues
Professor of Dance (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 17, 2017
I love what I do. My work place allows me to impact lives daily. My students come in ready to dance and embrace the creative thinking process. Everyday I learn something. I deal with a wide range of students' abilities ( beginning to advance) and all of their personalities ( excited, stressed, sore, tired and etc.). I seem to have created a good sense of balance when teaching movement and historical facts that still keeps my students engaged.
Pros
I get to work with creative minds
Cons
Classes are not long enough, no benifits
Generally good, but can vary wildly depending on the class and professor.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 14, 2017
TAing really depends on which class/professor you TA for. It can range from extremely easy to horribly difficult, with grading anywhere from 2 scantron exams to hand-grading essays every week.

You can request which classes you'd like to TA for, and while it is not always guaranteed you generally get assigned to something in your top 3.
Cons
highly dependent on assignment
Graduate student researcher (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 9, 2017
Was a graduate student there. It's a good research university. It has supportive staffs, professors and students. It helps you become a great scientist.
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Campus Representative (Current Employee) –  260 Aldrich HallMay 7, 2017
As a student worker at the University of California, Irvine's Office of Undergraduate Admissions, I found a great ability to grow, through different opportunities given to the students. The professional staff makes sure that the students grow, while also helping the program grow.
assistant specialist
assistant specialist (Former Employee) –  bio sci 3, IrvineMay 3, 2017
Set up and perform experiments on the microscope, collect data, analyze data and present data at lab and conference meetings. Learnt how to manage own project and be accountable for the outcomes and success of the project.
Pros
independent working environment
Cons
too many layers or management
A place for growth and personal development
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 30, 2017
Working in student housing has been a great place to learn many skills required for future jobs. Staff is understanding and encouraging to the student staff. Furthermore student housing upholds many great values like tolerance, wellness, security, student development and academic success. I have learned much from working with a diverse student body.
Graduate students have to work hard; Post-Docs have to work harder.
Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 26, 2017
I basically went into lab for 50 hours a week, which was the minimum, and performed experiments for my professor's assigned projects in the group. Sometimes work on the weekend was necessary in order to meet deadlines for grants/reviews/etc. Don't expect a vacation as a graduate student in California. It is a full-time lab position plus you have to be a student on the side. However, if you have a fun project and can take occasional criticism, you will develop into a mature researcher and have many publications to show for it.
Pros
Tuition is paid for, plus minimal stipend for rent an groceries.
Cons
If your professor is tough, 4-6 years doing a PhD can be difficult.
Uci
Senior Emergency Trauma Technician (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 20, 2017
The UCI is a great place to work at, they truly take care of there employees, an give them the tools they need to go on. they truly give you tool to gain experience.
Opportunity to Network
Chicano/a Latino/a Department Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 18, 2017
Working at the University of California, Irvine, was a wonderful experience. It opens a door to networking, learning more about campus life, and helps keep you updated on social events.
Great place
Senior Design Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 17, 2017
The University of California, Irvine is a great university to learn and has great opportunities for leadership and employment. The professors are very helpful.
great place to learn
Staff Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 12, 2017
Nobel Laureates call this place home. Got to meet and interact with many wonderful people who helped me get a good start in science. Though just a tech at the time, they treated me as a collegue.
Great place to work!
Contracts & Grants Accountant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 26, 2017
Loved working at UCI! The campus was very easy to get to. Parking was difficult. Sometimes easier to get foot in the door by applying thru the temp department and work up from there.
Happy
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 13, 2017
Very educational and rewarding experience working with international students and excellent mentors and professors. Students complete many hardware/software engineering projects.
Excellent place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 11, 2017
Enjoyed working at UCI. The work environment is very positive and the employees are very kind and helpful. It is nice to have worked at one of the UC campuses.
Pros
work environment
Cons
parking
Great academic place
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 16, 2017
Great place for studying. Brilliant facilities overall, located in the serene Orange county with a close proximity to the coast. The university has very good facilities and well known for research.
Chemistry Grad school is good
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 10, 2017
Overall, my graduate experience has been good. I've been exposed to state-of-the-art technologies and believe I have been prepared well for the transition to industry.
Teaching assistantships hard to come by
NSF Graduate Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 5, 2017
TA opportunities are not clear, and often do not allow students to support themselves. Also, many professors rely entirely on their TAs to teach their courses. This may be okay for students who want to go on to pedagogy, but not so much for students trying to get research jobs.
Good first tech job experience
Student Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 5, 2017
This job really made me understand how to provide quick, effective and intelligent customer service to a wide variety of technologies such as audio/visual devices, smart classrooms, hardware installation and imaging and more
Pros
Great technology to learn about
Cons
Management is very critical
Great learning environment.
Registered Nurse, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Great opportunity for learning and teaching. Opportunity for growth, and to have one on one time with patients and their family. Had some experiences with staff that were less than desirable in that there were instances where clicks came into play and created an unpleasant and unhelpful environment.
Pros
Learning/teaching.
Cons
Less than helpful attitudes pf coworkers at times.
Student Assistant
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 27, 2016
● Worked on carrying out daily and long term goals of the organization
● Learned InDesign to create and implement new marketing materials for graduate program

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California, Irvine. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4