University of California, Irvine

University of California, Irvine Employer Reviews

It was a good experience.
Director/Grip/ for Digital Filmmaking Workshop (Former Employee), UC Irvine, City of Irvine, CASeptember 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch!
Cons: rude people.
I worked here only for a day because I was welcomed to see how their digital film shop worked. It was over dominated by people who didn't want you to help in fear of their job being taken away.
Ph.D. Student
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Irvine, CASeptember 11, 2014
I worked in a lab equipped with electrical engineering tools as well as chemistry and mechanical and biomedical engineering tools and devices.
The lab that I worked for and the research that I performed was very interdisciplinary requiring me to interact with different group of people and learning different aspect of engineering and science together.
Excellent place to work as a student.
Campus Telephone Operator (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJune 4, 2014
Pros: stress-free work, decent pay and hours, good management.
UCI is a great place to work part-time as a student. The pay is above minimum wage, the hours are generally flexible, and the management are always willing to work with students. Work is generally stress-free and often has a lot of downtime to allow for studying and assignment completion at work. Valuable skills and work experience are given to students – more... while they finish their education, and some even go on to graduate and stay with the school for a career. – less
Great work environment that fosters community and individual development.
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Irvine, CAApril 11, 2014
Pros: strong support team and leadership training opportunities
Cons: you live where you work/work where you live, therefore time management can be difficult.
The job of a resident advisor (RA) encompasses a variety of tasks. The position includes programming social and networking opportunities, creating eye-catching visuals to market community amenities to residents, and maintaining the safety of our community through enforcing policies and providing support and guidance.

RAs serve as a mentor for residents.The – more... position truly requires responsibility and the ability to work independently. Working in an undergraduate community requires flexibility and adaptability. There are a lot of factors that can be out of your control, such as budget changes and changes in supervisors. This is why the positions require individuals that can be self-motivated and willing to take on new responsibilities. – less
Public Academic Institution
Staff Research Associate II (Current Employee), Irvine, CAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Myriad collaborations and interesting research throughout campus
Fast growing school
Post-Doc. (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Fast growing UC campus located in Orange County in California.
Nice university and a group of fun people to work with
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), Irvine, CADecember 26, 2013
I worked for the UC Center for Hydrologic Modeling as a graduate student. What we did are some leading edge global scale hydrologic studies. You will get a lot of experience with hydrologic modeling and processing satellite data.
Excellent peer and staff relations
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Irvine, CADecember 24, 2013
Working closely with peers and professors at UC Irvine was extremely rewarding and a great learning experience.
Rewarding to aid the higher educational goals of students
Licensing Director - Interim (Former Employee), Irvine, CADecember 4, 2013
Pros: benefits, work schedule
Cons: fiscal decline due to dependancy on state funds
A very dynamic, fast paced industry. While the main goal is to provided the tools/materials to aid students in achieving their educational goals, at times the administration would lose focus. It has become very decentralized and the vision and mission were not being met due to the increasing fiscal erosion, which added to the decline in employee morale.
Great University with diverse options for employment
Manager of Stewardship and Development (Former Employee), Irvine, CANovember 27, 2013
I worked there as a student while attending the university and after I graduated for a time. The UC system is in a hard place right now with budget cuts, which can make for a frustrating work environment that is sometimes lacking the resources to be entirely effective. But the people who work there are dedicated to making a difference in higher education – more... which helps. – less
Job Security
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Irvine, CAOctober 16, 2013
Pros: job secuirity
Cons: hard to take breaks, learning the rules (as they continually change), and dealing with constant talks of strikes and union issues.
Overall it has good benefits, and the people you work with are great.
I learned alot more about good time management, was able to continue sharpening my skills in scheduling.

Management has alot of different rules and each part of the UC picks and chooses them differently. they try to be fair. but over all they are at the end of their day doing their – more... jobs.

No matter where you go with co workers you will learn how to work with each individual and the same goes for this process because everyone has a different way of thinking.

the hardest part of the job is (from my experience) learning to get along in the work place because of everyone's differences.

the most enjoyable part of the job is the patients and getting recognition for making a difference everyday you are there. – less
Friendly, team-oriented workplace
Assistant Administrative Analyst (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJuly 19, 2013
Pros: amazing work culture.
Cons: none.
Working for the University of California in Irvine was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, based on the people that I worked with, and the work-culture at the Institute for Clinical & Translational Science (ICTS).

My work days were varied: some days I spent more time on purchasing/reimbursement issues, and other days the focus was more on meetings, – more... and problem solving related to scheduling and making arrangements for events, etc.

My co-workers were a helpful and easy-going group; everyone had an excellent sense of humor and kindness about them.

The most difficult portion of the job was juggling the Director's meetings and events as sometimes things did not go as planned, and occasionally, apologies would have to be made to persons of high rank.

The most enjoyable portion of the job was simply belonging to a team whereby everyone could be counted on as a friend. – less
This is an outstanding place to work.
Massage Therapist and Massage Instructor (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJune 13, 2013
Pros: all of the above and a 401k
Cons: honestly, there are no cons.
The staff was polite and competent. Each day my clients' charts were pulled and ready for me to review and the rooms were prepared and cleaned for me after each client. The Anteater Recreation Center (ARC) was a state of the art gym with a climbing wall and two full cardio and weight rooms. When we weren't scheduled with clients we were able to use – more... the gym and got a base pay to do so.

Courtney, the ARC director saw to it that both the client and therapist had everything they needed to have a productive and therapeutic experience, from tables warmers, showers and robes for the clients to air-conditioning, hydraulic tables and lotion for the therapists.

I would still be there if I hadn't moved to Santa Monica. – less
UCI
Undergraduate Student Researcher (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJune 1, 2013
Got a good education from UCI. Its greatly improved since I was last there.
productive, fun
Retreat Chair (Current Employee), Irvine, CAApril 15, 2013
Co-workers are great, though day-to-day job was a variable
teaching
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Irvine, CaMarch 23, 2013
I worked as teaching assistant for a few courses.

teaching is always challenging. need to make sure the students can absorb your messages and meanwhile maintain the correctness of the knowledge.
Not really a job
Chemical Engineering Senior Design (Former Employee), Irvine, CAMarch 6, 2013
Pros: nothing really to note, depends which lab you end up joining
Cons: not many professors publish it seems
Research at UCI was what you made of it. Nothing very special. Mostly wet lab based. I didn't find myself extremely challenged doing research at this institution.
Just a intern student here.
Senior Research Student in Dr. Longhurst (Current Employee), Irvine, CAFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: get to work on interesting studies
Cons: no pay
Do surgery on rats and analyze data and results. You also get to present the data infront of other doctor, so you gain alot of confidence.
Outstanding place to work
Research Assistant II (Former Employee), Irvine, CANovember 19, 2012
Pros: most are mentioned above. it was a nice free work environment, casual dress etc.
Cons: the only con is that nih grants eventually expire and you find yourself looking for a new job.
I can't say enough good things about working at the University of California, Irvine in the capacity of research assistant. In general you work for a professor or research group and perform research assistant functions. Professors are a laid back bunch and are very supportive of your career goals and work hard to include you in all their research activities – more... etc. You are an important part of the team, and never feel left out of the loop for projects you are involved in. The hardest part of the job is juggling your time between various projects and keeping your priorities straight. Meeting important grant and manuscript deadlines can be difficult at times, but because of all the positive energy your supervisors provide, you end up wondering how you managed to do it, and failure is not an option. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning new software and developing new techniques for analysis. This is strongly encouraged by your supervisors, and when deadlines are not present you can experiment with various research options and improve your abilities. I was never at a loss for the right tools for the job, and was able to push myself to do my best work. – less
Fun place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Irvine, CAOctober 29, 2012
fun place to work . I learned a lot. earned valuable experience with MongoDB.