University of California, Irvine Employee Reviews in United States

a challenge
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 13, 2015
Not many opportunities for advancement and management could be upgraded. The company provides a great benefit package. Have learned many financial attributes to take to another job.
benefits
Cons
no advancement within
Productive and fun working at UCI
Research Associate IV (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 13, 2015
Clinical trial research coordination, patient interaction, data analysis, manuscript writing, abstract submission, and attending conference were part of the life, loved it!!!!
Pros
Very Productive
Cons
Compensation is small for researchers
Typical Office
Medical biller IV Lead (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 26, 2016
Management is stuck in their old ways of doing business. Billers take the easy way out in resolving the claims. Minimum training with no support from management.
Pros
Cons
I had to pay for parking and walked 15 minutes to work.
Job Security
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 16, 2013
Overall it has good benefits, and the people you work with are great.
I learned alot more about good time management, was able to continue sharpening my skills in scheduling.

Management has alot of different rules and each part of the UC picks and chooses them differently. they try to be fair. but over all they are at the end of their day doing their jobs.

No matter where you go with co workers you will learn how to work with each individual and the same goes for this process because everyone has a different way of thinking.

the hardest part of the job is (from my experience) learning to get along in the work place because of everyone's differences.

the most enjoyable part of the job is the patients and getting recognition for making a difference everyday you are there.
Pros
job secuirity
Cons
hard to take breaks, learning the rules (as they continually change), and dealing with constant talks of strikes and union issues.
Fun, Interactive
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 7, 2015
I love working for UC Irvine. It gives me the opportunity to grow and to learn without putting my school aside. I also get to built great relationships with full time staff as well as other students who work with me. We all get along and we are there to help each other--we are a big family.
A Vital Learning Experience
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 4, 2016
My initial lab experience consisted of executing titrations and basic acid/base reactions. Chemical disposal classes were interesting, and consisted of potentially life-saving facts.
I've learned a lot from the lab
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 1, 2015
I had a fun time during working in the lab, I have learned a lot molecular research such as protein purification and dialysis. I also learned how to detect the activity of a enzyme. My coworker was very patient and kind, we got along with each other very well.
This is an outstanding place to work.
Massage Therapist and Massage Instructor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 13, 2013
The staff was polite and competent. Each day my clients' charts were pulled and ready for me to review and the rooms were prepared and cleaned for me after each client. The Anteater Recreation Center (ARC) was a state of the art gym with a climbing wall and two full cardio and weight rooms. When we weren't scheduled with clients we were able to use the gym and got a base pay to do so.

Courtney, the ARC director saw to it that both the client and therapist had everything they needed to have a productive and therapeutic experience, from tables warmers, showers and robes for the clients to air-conditioning, hydraulic tables and lotion for the therapists.

I would still be there if I hadn't moved to Santa Monica.
Pros
all of the above and a 401k
Cons
honestly, there are no cons.
Great University with a involved college culture
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 2, 2015
The University of California Irvine was not my first choice in education but it quickly became the best decision I could make. The involvement of the students was inspiring and the faculty were at the top of their field.
Pros
Amazing professors and faculty
Cons
Not much weekend life
Rewarding to aid the higher educational goals of students
Licensing Director - Interim (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 4, 2013
A very dynamic, fast paced industry. While the main goal is to provided the tools/materials to aid students in achieving their educational goals, at times the administration would lose focus. It has become very decentralized and the vision and mission were not being met due to the increasing fiscal erosion, which added to the decline in employee morale.
Pros
benefits, work schedule
Cons
fiscal decline due to dependancy on state funds
Great graduate program
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 14, 2015
I really like the chemistry graduate program here. The faculty and staff are very helpful. Great housing and health benefit is provided.
Pros
Great program with many devoted professors.
Cons
Hard to get in
No room for growth
Lab Research Assistant 2 (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 17, 2012
Early on I was told by multiple people that University policy was to hire someone into a position and keep them there. It can be extremely hard to move forward in any way, even if that means a higher classification in the same area of work.
Pros
relaxed environment, excellent benefits plans
Cons
no advancement
California dreamin' is fine, but once you wake up...
Broadcast Director, University Communications (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 15, 2012
Cali is in big trouble financially, and so is the U of C system...my f/t job with them went down the tubes in 2008, when they had to make severe cuts to all of their programs. CA is an "at large" work state, so you can be fired if your shoes aren't groovy enough. Try finding an affordable home, even in a down economy. But don't expect any help from them to find one. Culture? Like to shop? That's the culture. Values? Life behind the Orange Curtain is very...red...crowded, polluted...a shame such a nice place has been so trashed. The sunshine was fabulous, but not the kind they shine up your rear when you interview. Benefits seem great, until you try to actually find a doctor willing to accept you as a patient. I worked directly for an "Assistant Vice Chancellor," (whatever that means) who didn't have much of a clue regarding management, outside of inventing the idea of a "panic phrase" we were all supposed to use if a "weirdo" found his way into our department..."banana pancakes" was the chosen phrase...fitting, as our department seemed more like a zoo most of the time...be sure to ask a lot of questions when you go for an interview...especially about job security...you may have to define what that means for them...
Pros
nice big body of water just to the west, great weather, sunsets, surfing
Cons
dirty, crowded, expensive place to live, especially on the meager salaries offered, work for them while you're young, and you don't mind living in a closet
Good opportunities for work, not many for advancement
Medical Physics Post Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 27, 2015
The work is very exciting and relevant to the medical field. We have the opportunity design new diagnostic equipment/software. The management is more focused on the commercial aspect of the work, as such progress can be slow. Most of my colleagues have left because there is little chance to advance in the field here.
As a grad student, I liked it there.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 10, 2015
For the most part I don't have many complaints about my time here. Its a great place to do science and the atmosphere of collaboration is a great asset.
Post doctoral scholar (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 29, 2015
Supervised three undergraduate students workers
Taught in vivo surgeries to graduate student and incoming postdoctoral scholar
Excellent place to work as a student.
Campus Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 4, 2014
UCI is a great place to work part-time as a student. The pay is above minimum wage, the hours are generally flexible, and the management are always willing to work with students. Work is generally stress-free and often has a lot of downtime to allow for studying and assignment completion at work. Valuable skills and work experience are given to students while they finish their education, and some even go on to graduate and stay with the school for a career.
Pros
stress-free work, decent pay and hours, good management.
Best Job ive had, Independent Work, Both Fun and Productive
Maintance Worker (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 10, 2015
We actually had the opportunity to stay on campus for the time period of the job. My group and i would wake up at 8, pick up cleaning utilities, such as degreaser, mops, ect, and we would get a list of 6 dorm room 1-4 bedrooms each. Hard Work but the experience and pay was all worth it
Pros
Lived on campus for a week
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Great company to work at
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 21, 2015
I really enjoy working at this organization. Sadly, I am only contractual so I have to leave the company soon. I wish I could have stayed longer.

My colleagues are great to work with. My bosses are flexible with my schedule since I attend grad school full time as well. They are very supportive with my education so that is something I am very grateful for. I could not have finished my first year of grad school if they weren't emphatic with my situation.
Free and creative working environment
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 27, 2015
As a graduate student researcher, my typical day is a composition of advanced courses, research and paper writing, communication with professors and chatting with other PhDs. The best part of the work is that we have the chance to meet with excellent researchers and get inspired by them everyday. The most enjoyable part of the work is there are two Starbucks on campus.
Pros
flexible working schedule; high quality courses
Cons
relatively low income than full time job at industry

4.3