University of California, San Diego Employee Reviews

A large employer, wonderful research discoveries, great to be part of a team
Administrative Specialist, University Development (Former Employee), La Jolla, CaliforniaJune 5, 2015
UC San Diego is a large team of people working for research breakthroughs, providing top-level education to students, and serving the community.
Wonderful
Researcher Intern (Current Employee), La Jolla, CAJune 1, 2015
Productive , innovative , knowledgeable people all arround.

I am very happy to be there

Typical day at work : Starts with an informative department lecture

I learnt so much !

Management is great

Co-workers are quite and busy doing their own business which is great

Hardest part is to manage to observe more clinical work

Performing experiments was the most enjoyable
A fun and exciting place to work at.
UCSD Police Department Bicycle Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 3, 2015
UCSD has a lot to offer to its employees. One of the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the diverse community.
Gained a lot of knowledge.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), San DiegoApril 23, 2015
Teaching Assistant for Introduction to Nanotechnology - Chemical Principles.

Hardest - Conducting classes and review sessions.

Most Enjoyable - The hardest part of the job.
Professional and congenial work environment
Programmer Analyst I, Office of Research Affairs (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Great work atmosphere
Cons: Temp assignment
Worked at UCSD for almost one year as a QA Specialist. Worked very well with management and co-workers. Limited appointment contract, would have been very happy to find a long-term position.
Great place to work / great work life balance
Asst. Manager IT Support / Audio Visual Lead (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2015
UCSD is a great place to work, the benefits alone are worth it. I was at the San Diego Supercomputer and have friends still today who are there. I have been gone now for the last 8 years, but it was a great stepping stone to the career I have today.
Co-workers and management are like an extended family!
Retail Lead (Current Employee), La Jolla, CAMarch 14, 2015
Pros: $19.00 a day to eat in the dinning hall for hdh staff, flexible scheduling, time off whenever you want.
Cons: might need to take unpaid time off in the summer.
Love working at UCSD. Going into my 8th year and love it. Unfortunately, I will be leaving due to the need to relocate out of state. UCSD has been my home away from home and I love my job and co-workers.
Balance between school work and lab work
Undergrad Research Assistant (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAFebruary 11, 2015
Life as an undergraduate research assistant was tough. Not understanding the basics and background of experiments I was only following my Graduate students' instructions from day to day.
Go Tritons!
Portuguese Language Lecturer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: location!
Cons: traffic on the i-8 freeway in the evenings:-)
UC San Diego is a great university. I applied for a Lecturer position in the Linguistics Language Program in 2007 and I have been teaching there ever since. Recently, I underwent an Academic Excellence Review and was promoted to Continuing Lecturer of Portuguese. I hold a 62.5% position in Portuguese as a Foreign Language there.
Learned a great deal!
Research Assistant (Former Employee), La JollaJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: provided opportunities to attend research conferences and expand my network
Cons: the work was extremely tedious and repetitive.
I was an undergraduate working on a project under the guidance and supervision of a principal investigator. The work was very tedious and was carried out in front of a computer the majority of the time. The project afforded me opportunities to present at conferences and apply what I've learned in the classroom.
Great place for opportunities if you are willing to put in the work.
Superintendent, Mainenance (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: opportunities, good pay.
Peers are supportive, management is nurturing. is a fairly low stress place to work, pay is comparable to open market or slightly better.
great place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: be there is like you work with a families members because all member are there to help you
Cons: is a hard place to get a job.
I was a volunteer at the CCU for a year and I love to work with all the staff members, also I have many recommendations letter from them, it was the best experience of my life.
Job Security
Accreditation and Educational Outcomes Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: job security, benefits, autonomy
Cons: lack of ambition amongst staff
Working for UCSD was a great experience. The job security and benefits were amazing, and I had a great mentor (the Director of Continuing Music Education). She gave me great autonomy and encouraged me to act on my ambitions and ideas.

I loved the people, balance of work and life, job security and possibility for advancement, management, and the compensation and benefits were decent. The culture, however, did not seem to be the right fit. I got the sense that there was an indifference amongst staff workers. I wanted to see more ambition for improvement, and although I had a few I could turn to for motivation and inspiration, it seemed too few and far between.
Great research
Bioinformatics Scientist, Department of Medicine (Current Employee), La Jolla, CADecember 9, 2014
Hard working and enthusiastic scientists. Cheap and abundant entry level employees.
Laid back fun place to work
Information Technology Security Engineer (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 4, 2014
Pros: laid back, not micro-managed.
Cons: can get monotonous
Typical day is handling customer request (tickets), maintaining SaaS Patch Management Servers, and Intrusion Detection Monitoring. I get along well with my co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job is staying challenged, the most enjoyable part is finding a new challenge and tackling it.
Awesome job, enough said.
Graphic Arts (Former Employee), La Jolla, CANovember 7, 2014
Pros: great pay. great place. great organzation
Cons: n/a
Everything was great. No need to explain!

I learned to create art whenever they needed me to do.

Management were great including co-workers.

Enjoyable job beginning and end of the day.
Acquired hands on expereince
Financial & Decision Support Analyst (Internship) (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 4, 2014
I conducted different analysis of financial data and produced detailed reports and exhibits. I was required to utilize various computer applications to review a variety of financial transactions, and other corporate, business, and financial processes.
stable job with no opportunities to grow financially
Staff Research Associate II (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 23, 2014
interesting multicultural climate, multitasking type of duties, decent health insurance ( not too expensive)
No room for advancement
Senior Administrative Analyst (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2014
Cons: parking and pay
Its who you know and who's favorite you are. Compensation is not competitive and you must pay $90 for parking monthly.
Productive Work Place
Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 8, 2014
UCSD was an amazing job, there wasn't one thing that I did not like about it. The HR team was amazing as well as other staff.