University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews

Excellent hothouse of raw talent and ideas.
Assistant Professional Researcher (Former Employee) –  UCSFSeptember 13, 2016
Great institution built on the intellect of students and guidance of the faculty. I enjoyed working in this fast paced environmet with like-minded, driven individuals.
Pros
open communication between labs
Cons
the bay area is expensive
Relaxed research environment with kind people but low pay
Junior Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 16, 2016
I worked in a research lab under an incredibly kind and caring PI (principal investigator). All of the members of the lab were helpful, kind, and experienced. I was able to gather a good deal of technical knowledge that could see application outside of biomedical imaging, as well as a good deal of knowledge which will probably not see use in any other field.

Work on a daily basis was on average relaxed with only a few tasks to be done (or more generally a single larger project with loose deadline to be worked on). There were maybe a handful of ongoing tasks that had to be done involving the collecting and processing of patient data. Hardest part of the job was learning to do things that I hadn't done before because they were usually technical and others didn't have a good idea of how to do them (hence asking me). But I kind of enjoyed self-teaching so it wasn't that bad.
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed environment, limited responsibility, kind and experience coworkers, gathering technical experience
Cons
low pay, nowhere to advance, limited applicability of experience
Collaborative, creative research environment
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 21, 2016
Collaborative, intense, and dynamic research institute. I enjoyed learning from the post-docs and the professors. I also enjoyed the campus a lot.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
long commute
Fun place to work
Staff Research Associate I (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 11, 2016
UCSF is a great place to work. I have great co workers and a great management team. The biggest and only issue I have with working here is my salary.
A good place to work
Principal occupational skills covered (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2016
Working at UCSF is a great opportunity for me, and I like the environment and the people. The only problem is the salary is not sufficient to have a decent housing situation in the city.
Analyst
IT-Identity and Access Management Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 14, 2016
Dedicated staff enhances the patient services, the individual contributors set UCSF apart from many healthcare provided.
Great Experience and Amazing Plastic Surgeon
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2016
Answer phones and operate a switchboard.
Route calls to specific people.
Answer inquiries about company.
Greet visitors warmly and make sure they are comfortable.
Call persons waiting for visitor and book them a room to meet in.
Make coffee and set out food.
Ensure reception area is tidy.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
N/A
Leadership experience is limited to UCSF
Principal Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2016
Research Administration leadership in the School of Medicine is constrained by lack of experience in any organization other than UCSF. Leadership does not work collaboratively with Contracts and Grants administration. Systems are inadequate for the fiscal management of clinical trials and this Division relies heavily on shadow systems to track critical information. Workload is overwhelming and investment in additional, skilled manpower is non-existent in this Division.
Pros
UC Benefits are strong.
Cons
Less than professional, myopic administrative leadership
goal driven non-profit.
IT Security Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 27, 2016
A great place to work with a great mindset and goal. People are friendly and very caring. All people that are working towards a better future for universities, hospitals and communities.
Very Good
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 2, 2015
I had a great time working at the David Copenhagen lab. I worked on the area of basic neuroscience with the specific focus on synaptic pathways in the retina. I would strongly recommend working for UCSF. It's a great school. I enjoyed my time there
Stable and reputable institution
Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 29, 2015
Excellent work environment to do your job. To be promoted requires higher education. Diversified workforce to tackle challenging projects and university programs.
Pros
Excellent retirement benefit.
Cons
Pay is not that great
Excellent Employer
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 18, 2015
Highly recommended to everyone. The reseach deparment that I worked is ideal for anyone interested in developmental science experiments.
Work as a coordinator
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 18, 2015
Writing IRB applications, consent forms, and all documents to submit to the IRB - developed strong writing skills and high level of collaboration with IRB members.
Negotiating study budgets with Sponsor representatives - developed in-house procedures for assessment of budget needs and negotiating with Sponsor representatives in a prompt manner.
Professional working relationship with research study subjects, scheduling within subject/family schedule, collection of specimens, and professional environment. Working with families was the best and most enjoyable part of the job.
What I learned: importance of utilizing and expanding my own skills in order to be more self reliant and complete tasks on time. This involved lots of self study in order to expedite tasks which I enjoyed.
Hardest part of the job was the overtime hours in order to ensure tight deadlines that needed to met due to lack of staffing. I took the responsibility upon myself to complete the tasks in order to be site ready. Study representatives appreciated my diligence, which made the job more pleasurable.
UCSF is a very demanding employer that finally took funds to invest in their infrastructure in order to get depts. up to speed on using technolgical advances.
I created great working relationships with various departments that made the environment more enjoyable to work in.
Pros
gratitude from families whom the research helped
Cons
always more work to do
Very fast-paced, academic teaching facility.
Administrative Director (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 11, 2015
Fast-paced, complex academic teaching facility. Lots of red tape and politics. Supportive management. Difficult to find time for professional development. High turnover.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Ridiculous hours
Great workplace
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 26, 2015
I was proud to be an employee at UCSF. It's a very enjoyable place to work and they make sure you are well informed about pharmaceuticals and equipment you use on a daily basis.
Innovative, Strong Work/Life Balance, Supportive Environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 26, 2015
I am lucky enough to have a supervisor that strongly promotes work/life balance and allows for creativity and for me to present new ideas. She does not micro manage but instead allows me to pave my own path and seek advice and assistance when required. I complete my work by the deadline and am trusted with confidential and high level projects. It is a supportive and friendly environment to work in.
After six years with UCSF, promotions are lacking wages are too low for effective saving or living comfortably in the city.
Staff Research Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2015
Additionally,

Egoism and power trips are the normal way handling disputes/fair treatment from the higher ups and HR is toothless and ineffectual. Despite the liberal nature of the constituents of the this massive bay area machine, it is quite clear that even the nobility of the scientific endeavor can be muddled for the benefit of the few. As staff we are left to observe this quietly and if we speak out you may as well count on being relegated to cleaning the -80C as your primary duty, and say goodby to your potential "authorship." I have worked in 4 labs, only one is noble and genuinely good to their staff and students. One! And in that one lab my most beloved superior ever (a Harvard organic chemist and MD), left to go kaiser, stating "UC is going don the tubes." I believe him now and I am looking for my chance to move on to something better in industry. That being said, it would suck to have to accept horrible wages just for good benefits. UC, you can do much better for us but you choose to keep staff just above water financially in this city-not cool for people wanting to and in some cases changing the world.

I suppose its a good start for recent grads and maybe for a year or two, but don't get your hopes up. The UC moniker may make you starry eyed but measure your expectations before accepting your offer letter.

Good luck out there!

A
Benefits
Cons
read above...
Great place to work.
Practice Assistant/Surgery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 26, 2015
UCSF is a great place to work for if you love customer service and working with patients, you will meet interesting patients from all over the globe.
Great Place to Work
Documentation Specialist/Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  The Mission, San FranciscoMay 14, 2015
UCSF succeeds at establishing innovative solutions in the provenance of health care. It devises means and methods to improve the quality of life overall, and I was elated to be a cell in the very tissue of this constantly evolving creature.

I worked in IT as a documentation/technical writer. Great pay! Great people, amazing health benefits, retirement and working in the City (the Mission) is, despite the fact that the Mission has become rather sterile due to all the techies that have moved here, a wonder.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits, Job Security, Work/Life Balance
Cons
The Mission sucks, too many techies ruining it, Can't wait for the bubble to burst and send, all these techies back, to their parents' garages in wisconsin
Educational and innovative
Disability Management Associate III (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 8, 2015
While at UCSF, the experience thus far has been great where innovation and development in health care brought me to utilize my skills and pursue higher education; to become a part of this great institution that not only cares about its employees, yet also about humanity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California - San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2