University of California - San Francisco

University of California - San Francisco Employer Reviews

Great facility to work at with a beautiful view of San Francisco
Aquatics Instructor (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2014
Cons: parking can be difficult
Overall UCSF is a wonderful University to work for. We have a 5 story workout facility that is given to all employees for free. There are 3 gyms we can attend in San Francisco. My co-workers are friendly and kind. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to make a difference in people's lives. A typical day at work includes meeting my students – more... on the pool deck, discussing our day play with the students, and getting to work in the pool. This includes going over safety skills and learning a new skill in each class. – less
Best Job to date
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 18, 2014
Pros: caring, professional, flexible office atmosphere
Cons: budgetary constraints made salaries stagnant
The Center of Deafness is now closed due to budgetary cuts. Working there was the best job of my life. My co-workers made every day a pleasure. There was never a day I did not want to go to work. Our clients appreciated the care all the staff gave. It was the epidomy of the perfect clinic.
A growing institution and room for advancement
Analyst for Department of Neurology (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: patients and employees are diversed
Cons: so many changes with the management and benefit packages
UCSF has great benefits and the patients are the best part about working here. However, parking is a pain and must be on the waiting list for years to get parking.
Loved it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: great opportunities for different types of work
Cons: couldn't keep me busy enough
I was the admin asst in a research lab where everyday was different. I learned that I was better at accounting than I thought. I loved my boss--and even after 14 years, we still keep in touch. Loved the people in the lab. Organized and ran 2 medical conferences offsite; worked with another AA to run research day every year for 9 years onsite.
very nice experance
Desktop LAN Support Technician (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 10, 2014
I enjoyed working with these good people. The UCSF mission is "Improve health worldwide through innovative science"
Best Company to belong to!
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 7, 2013
Great awesome atmosphere equals Happy employees. Very diverse place. The Best place to get exposed to all complicated diagnosis, you will Learn everything....
Worst managed hospital I ever worked at.
Radiology (Current Employee), UCSFSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: learn things you won't see anywhere else
Cons: if you don't mind incompetent managers
Stay away from Radiology. It's a great place to learn the latest but there are way too many "chiefs" who have no business managing people. There may be a few people happy in the overall department but most are not and the number 1 issue you'll hear is how bad the management is. Good luck!

18h13snt9b84gf0u – February 17, 2014

I agree. I've been in the radiology department over 7 years and it is the worst managed place I have ever worker. Management is incompetent and due to poor surveys by employees, they have all been going through training to learn to be better. The problem is the breed that works at UCSF isn't capable of changing so we are still stuck with their poor ability to manage people and resources. The "Peter Principle" is alive and well here. Also, when you have so many managers per subordinates, you wonder what the need is and can the money spent on their positions be better used elsewhere to make it a better place to work.

Great research environment with enthusiastic scientists
Postdoctoral employee (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 16, 2013
I conduct animal research. Design and execute experiments that are funded by the NIH. Troubleshoot, data collection and analysis using advance statistics software. Coordinate experiment with lab research assistants and students. I enjoy working with brilliant scientists here at UCSF.
IT Department, working with CMS server
UI Designer (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 23, 2013
Working with Cascade Server, updating school website, creating additional pages for website, customize HTML/CSS, working with Photoshop/Illustrator to create logos, banners for the existing site. I learned a lot from Cascade Server, how format and black works. The hardest part of the job is to being flexible to meet with everyone.
Amazing physicians
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2013
UCSF- San Francisco General Hospital is an incredible place for individuals who want to work in healthcare, and work with underserved populations. Helping those who need it most made going to work beyond fulfilling and never once did I wake up dreading to go to work. It is one of the greatest working experiences I've been fortunate enough to have.
Great place to work. Lots of diversity.
Administrative Assistant II (Student Health) (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 22, 2013
Pros: diversity, education advancement.
Cons: budget
UCSF is a great place to work, Especially if you like to work in a diverse environment. Normally there are great opportunities for advancement in careers especially in the education advancement department. UCSF gives you tons of opportunities to learn and grow. The only draw back that I have realized is budgeting. I have noticed that some jobs are being – more... cut due to budget. It is essential that one builds up seniority in the UC system to keep job security. – less
Great Organization with wonderful 'perks'
Student Affairs Officer III (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2013
Pros: large organization with lots of opportunity for advancement
Cons: large organization that can be slow to accept change
This is a wonderful place to work. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement. You will be working for an organization that is impacting the face of health and medicine worldwide. There are great benefits and retirement packages and the fitness and wellness programs are incredible.
Excellent place to work.
Research Associate II (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 12, 2013
Great place to work. Surrounded by bright individuals and driven students.
Administrative Assistant
Clinic Coordinator (Administrative Assistant) (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 6, 2013
UCSF was a dynamic and educational experience. A typical day involved scheduling doctor appointments for patients, coordinating all meetings, and facilitating numerous intakes.
Nice place to work, with bad management/supervision
Analyst (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 29, 2013
Pros: benefits, location
Cons: management
UCSF is in many ways a great place to work. Decent benefits, nice people, congenial location. However, there are significant problems with the way management and supervision of administrative staff is handled. Often, unit heads are medical doctors, but in many cases they lack experience with supervision or administration - at least outside of a lab.

While – more... some administrative positions are unionized, which produces a useful forum for redress of supervision issues, many are not. – less
Great environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 11, 2013
Great working environment. Excellent quality research. Good opportunities to conduct the type of research that I'm passionate about.
UCSF is a great place to work and co-worker are friendly and helpful. Indeed, I met many best friends there in the last eight years' service.
Programmer / Analyst III (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2013
-I worked with users to analyze report requirements, create program specification documents, design and generate complex reports and forms using PL/SQL, Crystal Report and Microsoft Office application.

- I wrote complex programs and reports for data integrity checking, data pulls, upload or updates, analysis of business strategies and campaigns and, – more... for mailing or telemarketing; work with users to define, develop, test and maintain new applications in support of business requirements. Trouble-shooting data and software application failure. Created and scheduled periodic daily / monthly reports to users.

- I was responsible for training University Development users about applications, programs and reports created by the incumbent and other IT staff; enters all project activities with details of solutions/programs developed daily in the Track-it help desk system and ensures that others in the department can access and utilize work product; and perform other duties as assigned. – less
Next step after postdoc
Associate Specialist (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 10, 2013
Excellent research atomosphere, great facilities.
Payscale is low, Not great opportunities for career advancements.
Good university, broken system
Graduate Student (Current Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 31, 2012
Pros: good faculty
Cons: bad pay
As a result of the bad state of the economy and federal budget, funding opportunities have significantly decreased. The school, like others, admits too many students for the resources available, and the cost of living in SF is not covered by the stipend. Professors are generally top notch
Interesting place to work, many setbacks due to funding, lack of management direction
Funds Manager/Analyst III (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 13, 2012
Pros: location: in a large city
Cons: short breaks, management issues and constant job insecurity
I had not learned any new skills as I came here with quite a bit of expertise. Lack of funding forced me to be on furlough for 21 days of one year and constant re-organization in the last year of work there. Re-organization of area and campus in general with less focus on experience and more on youth...several staff who were aged 50 and over were laid – more... off in two re-organization waves. Lack of usage of Six Sigma principles in many campus/hospital areas. – less

University of California - San Francisco Photos