University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews in United States

Leadership experience is limited to UCSF
Principal Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2016
Research Administration leadership in the School of Medicine is constrained by lack of experience in any organization other than UCSF. Leadership does not work collaboratively with Contracts and Grants administration. Systems are inadequate for the fiscal management of clinical trials and this Division relies heavily on shadow systems to track critical information. Workload is overwhelming and investment in additional, skilled manpower is non-existent in this Division.
Pros
UC Benefits are strong.
Cons
Less than professional, myopic administrative leadership
Great Experience and Amazing Plastic Surgeon
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2016
Answer phones and operate a switchboard.
Route calls to specific people.
Answer inquiries about company.
Greet visitors warmly and make sure they are comfortable.
Call persons waiting for visitor and book them a room to meet in.
Make coffee and set out food.
Ensure reception area is tidy.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
N/A
Collaborative, creative research environment
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 21, 2016
Collaborative, intense, and dynamic research institute. I enjoyed learning from the post-docs and the professors. I also enjoyed the campus a lot.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
long commute
A good place to work
Principal occupational skills covered (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2016
Working at UCSF is a great opportunity for me, and I like the environment and the people. The only problem is the salary is not sufficient to have a decent housing situation in the city.
Fun place to work
Staff Research Associate I (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 11, 2016
UCSF is a great place to work. I have great co workers and a great management team. The biggest and only issue I have with working here is my salary.
Analyst
IT-Identity and Access Management Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 14, 2016
Dedicated staff enhances the patient services, the individual contributors set UCSF apart from many healthcare provided.
goal driven non-profit.
IT Security Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 27, 2016
A great place to work with a great mindset and goal. People are friendly and very caring. All people that are working towards a better future for universities, hospitals and communities.
Very Good
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 2, 2015
I had a great time working at the David Copenhagen lab. I worked on the area of basic neuroscience with the specific focus on synaptic pathways in the retina. I would strongly recommend working for UCSF. It's a great school. I enjoyed my time there
Stable and reputable institution
Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 29, 2015
Excellent work environment to do your job. To be promoted requires higher education. Diversified workforce to tackle challenging projects and university programs.
Pros
Excellent retirement benefit.
Cons
Pay is not that great
Very fast-paced, academic teaching facility.
Administrative Director (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 11, 2015
Fast-paced, complex academic teaching facility. Lots of red tape and politics. Supportive management. Difficult to find time for professional development. High turnover.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Ridiculous hours
Innovative, Strong Work/Life Balance, Supportive Environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 26, 2015
I am lucky enough to have a supervisor that strongly promotes work/life balance and allows for creativity and for me to present new ideas. She does not micro manage but instead allows me to pave my own path and seek advice and assistance when required. I complete my work by the deadline and am trusted with confidential and high level projects. It is a supportive and friendly environment to work in.
Great Place to Work
Documentation Specialist/Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  The Mission, San FranciscoMay 14, 2015
UCSF succeeds at establishing innovative solutions in the provenance of health care. It devises means and methods to improve the quality of life overall, and I was elated to be a cell in the very tissue of this constantly evolving creature.

I worked in IT as a documentation/technical writer. Great pay! Great people, amazing health benefits, retirement and working in the City (the Mission) is, despite the fact that the Mission has become rather sterile due to all the techies that have moved here, a wonder.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits, Job Security, Work/Life Balance
Cons
The Mission sucks, too many techies ruining it, Can't wait for the bubble to burst and send, all these techies back, to their parents' garages in wisconsin
Excellent Employer
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 18, 2015
Highly recommended to everyone. The reseach deparment that I worked is ideal for anyone interested in developmental science experiments.
Great workplace
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 26, 2015
I was proud to be an employee at UCSF. It's a very enjoyable place to work and they make sure you are well informed about pharmaceuticals and equipment you use on a daily basis.
Educational and innovative
Disability Management Associate III (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 8, 2015
While at UCSF, the experience thus far has been great where innovation and development in health care brought me to utilize my skills and pursue higher education; to become a part of this great institution that not only cares about its employees, yet also about humanity.
Best research hospital I have ever worked at
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2015
I have worked at several leading research hospitals as a neuroscientist. Compared to the competitors (e.g., Ivy League East Coast hospitals and the leading Midwest universities), I am certain that UCSF provides the best work environment of all, with modern facilities, renowned Nobel Prize winners, and efficient administrative support staff. I felt my colleagues were brilliant scientists with less ego and attitude than the East Coast professors. The seminars were top-notch and the work-life balance (e.g. benefits, gym facilities) for employees makes everyone happy to come to work. Teamwork and mentorship were valued and encouraged.
Pros
research quality, clinical expertise, facilities, support staff, benefits, location
A Positive and Engaging Work Environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 19, 2014
-a typical day includes recruiting, screening, and running subjects followed by data entry, QA/QC, biosample processing
-less frequent activities include IRB and CTSI submission, study set up and initiation, report writing
-management is vital, and requires special attention
-positive interaction with coworkers
-hardest part are deadlines
-most enjoyable part is submitting the Final Report
Great place to work.
Practice Assistant/Surgery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 26, 2015
UCSF is a great place to work for if you love customer service and working with patients, you will meet interesting patients from all over the globe.
Working with patient's from all over the world
RN Staff Nurse II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 5, 2014
Assessing the patient and attaining the patient's vital signs. Putting the information into the electric medical record. As the patient's arrive for their appointments the same is completed. Between scheduled patients, as a RN patients can be called, teaching material can be developed, review of abnormal test can be reviewed and ect.
Working with my co-workers varied due to we were in a small area and people's moods varied.
The most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of sick patient's that were placed in the sick room for longer stays.
Pros
the rn position in a clinic seemed very easy.
Cons
working in a small area with so many different personalities and moods was difficult.
fascinating environment
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 7, 2015
a system dedicate to research and moving science forward. lots of exposure to research and health care developments. Generally, very professional and focused on patients and research.