University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews

Great place
Certified Medical Dosimetrist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2017
Great place to work. Wonderful team we have. Management is great to work with and easy to discuss any issues with and open to suggestions. Work life balance is great.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Nothing as of yet
Researcher (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 19, 2017
Good colleagues. There is flexible schedule for doing research. Good seminars and access to lots of state of the art facilities. Good for generating collaborations.
Good company
Staff Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2017
I enjoy working as a research associate. I believe that this position is not payed enough to cover basic needs (1 bd apartment rent, food, transportation, etc.). Benefits are great, management also. It depends of you how much you will expand your knowledge and skills. There are a lot of very smart people, great environment to be if you are starting your career.
Pros
Great and smart people
Cons
underpaid
productive and a fun place to work
Certify Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2017
its a nice place to work. They are friendly to everyone regardless of one's race. They taught me things I already know on how to care for patients, which I really appreciate. They give long break time, as a matter of fact they give one hour break period. I left the hospital not because of them, but because of the company that sent me there.
Pros
long break period
Cons
alot of work
Fast paced environment
switch board operator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 8, 2017
managing a multi line phone system, I learned to double check work before submitting, while dealing with multi line systems, it was a very diverse work environment. The hardest part about the job would have been some of the intense callers we've received; The most enjoyable would be providing excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning Medical Terminology
Cons
Maintaing codes as well as proper terminolgy working in a Call center setting
Life Balance
Sr. Application Developer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 2, 2017
UCSF provided a good Life balance. Everyone is respected. Friendly atmosphere. Knowledge sharing encouraged. Communication is encouraged. Provided telecommuting one day in a week. Provided Retirement/Pension which is very good. Salary is in the low range. But if combine the salary and the pension together, pretty decent. :)
Pros
Life Balance
Cons
Could not find any
Large Medical Center and Research Center
Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 12, 2017
Very good place to work, one of the top medical centers in the world. Good work life balance and sensible management. Moves a bit slow. Compensation slightly below private sector for same role. Generally a good place to be.
Fulfilling work but severely underpaid and overworked
Program Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 29, 2016
Staff is typically expected to accommodate a variety of different tasks. This can make the job challenging and fast-paced. However, this also means that there is a grey area as to what is your job and what is not. UCSF bureacracy often makes simple tasks such as reimbursements and ordering supplies difficult and time-consuming.

UCSF employees share a passion of conducting innovative and mission-driven research, which is perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of the job. Staff contributions are often overlooked since their work is often behind-the-scenes. Faculty are not well-trained in managing people so considerations for promotions and career advancement are often on the back-burner of priorities.
Pros
Mission-driven work, benefits
Cons
Underpaid, unrecognized
Great people, room for growth.
Unified Communications Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 25, 2016
- Ticket queue, IDF Cabling, VOIP Support

- Great management

- Down to earth co-workers

- Environment can be pretty hostile. (Doctors, Surgeons, etc.)

- Not your typical IT environment, can be a gift and curse on either day. You would have to be there to see for yourself.
Sr Custodian
Sr. Custodian (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2016
It's a very diverse group of people and very friendly... I love being a part of a place like this.. it's very easy to get along with Super intended ceo and others
Fun workplace
Assistant Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 8, 2016
Performing wet lab experiments. Sometimes have to be at work on weekend due to the nature of the job. Very friendly environment. Coworkers are very helpful.
The hardest part is to be self motivated to keep project going.
Enjoyable part is to do cutting-edge research.
Excellent hothouse of raw talent and ideas.
Assistant Professional Researcher (Former Employee) –  UCSFSeptember 13, 2016
Great institution built on the intellect of students and guidance of the faculty. I enjoyed working in this fast paced environmet with like-minded, driven individuals.
Pros
open communication between labs
Cons
the bay area is expensive
Relaxed research environment with kind people but low pay
Junior Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 16, 2016
I worked in a research lab under an incredibly kind and caring PI (principal investigator). All of the members of the lab were helpful, kind, and experienced. I was able to gather a good deal of technical knowledge that could see application outside of biomedical imaging, as well as a good deal of knowledge which will probably not see use in any other field.

Work on a daily basis was on average relaxed with only a few tasks to be done (or more generally a single larger project with loose deadline to be worked on). There were maybe a handful of ongoing tasks that had to be done involving the collecting and processing of patient data. Hardest part of the job was learning to do things that I hadn't done before because they were usually technical and others didn't have a good idea of how to do them (hence asking me). But I kind of enjoyed self-teaching so it wasn't that bad.
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed environment, limited responsibility, kind and experience coworkers, gathering technical experience
Cons
low pay, nowhere to advance, limited applicability of experience
Nice location, good facilities
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 6, 2016
Typical day at work depends from the lab you are in. Learned a lot of life experience, got clear with research in California in general. Management, again, depends from the lab. Hardest part of the job is to publish, again depends from your PI plans. Enjoyable part must be free scheduling of your day.
Pros
Health insurance, 401k
Cons
Low salary rate
Collaborative, creative research environment
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 21, 2016
Collaborative, intense, and dynamic research institute. I enjoyed learning from the post-docs and the professors. I also enjoyed the campus a lot.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
long commute
room for improvement
EEG Technologist (Current Employee) –  SF, CAMay 27, 2016
good working spirit on employees.
management need to work more on it employers.
good team work.
hardest part of the job is lack of communication.
t
Pros
Convenient, Great benefits, union, pension
Cons
expensive city.
UCSF School of Medicine
Student Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 16, 2016
Great place to work if you are looking to gain some professional experience.

Management needs to improve considerably in the areas of communication, education, and use of new technologies.
Pros
diverse workforce
Cons
comunication
Good resource for medical science, but needs organized research facilities.
Professional Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 16, 2016
Good research resource and environment for health science. But research facilities are not organized and centered. It seems that excellent research product come from individual scientist capability and fund.
Fun place to work
Staff Research Associate I (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 11, 2016
UCSF is a great place to work. I have great co workers and a great management team. The biggest and only issue I have with working here is my salary.
A good place to work
Principal occupational skills covered (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2016
Working at UCSF is a great opportunity for me, and I like the environment and the people. The only problem is the salary is not sufficient to have a decent housing situation in the city.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California - San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2