University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews

After six years with UCSF, promotions are lacking wages are too low for effective saving or living comfortably in the city.
Staff Research Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2015
Additionally,

Egoism and power trips are the normal way handling disputes/fair treatment from the higher ups and HR is toothless and ineffectual. Despite the liberal nature of the constituents of the this massive bay area machine, it is quite clear that even the nobility of the scientific endeavor can be muddled for the benefit of the few. As staff we are left to observe this quietly and if we speak out you may as well count on being relegated to cleaning the -80C as your primary duty, and say goodby to your potential "authorship." I have worked in 4 labs, only one is noble and genuinely good to their staff and students. One! And in that one lab my most beloved superior ever (a Harvard organic chemist and MD), left to go kaiser, stating "UC is going don the tubes." I believe him now and I am looking for my chance to move on to something better in industry. That being said, it would suck to have to accept horrible wages just for good benefits. UC, you can do much better for us but you choose to keep staff just above water financially in this city-not cool for people wanting to and in some cases changing the world.

I suppose its a good start for recent grads and maybe for a year or two, but don't get your hopes up. The UC moniker may make you starry eyed but measure your expectations before accepting your offer letter.

Good luck out there!

A
Benefits
Cons
read above...
Work as a coordinator
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 18, 2015
Writing IRB applications, consent forms, and all documents to submit to the IRB - developed strong writing skills and high level of collaboration with IRB members.
Negotiating study budgets with Sponsor representatives - developed in-house procedures for assessment of budget needs and negotiating with Sponsor representatives in a prompt manner.
Professional working relationship with research study subjects, scheduling within subject/family schedule, collection of specimens, and professional environment. Working with families was the best and most enjoyable part of the job.
What I learned: importance of utilizing and expanding my own skills in order to be more self reliant and complete tasks on time. This involved lots of self study in order to expedite tasks which I enjoyed.
Hardest part of the job was the overtime hours in order to ensure tight deadlines that needed to met due to lack of staffing. I took the responsibility upon myself to complete the tasks in order to be site ready. Study representatives appreciated my diligence, which made the job more pleasurable.
UCSF is a very demanding employer that finally took funds to invest in their infrastructure in order to get depts. up to speed on using technolgical advances.
I created great working relationships with various departments that made the environment more enjoyable to work in.
Pros
gratitude from families whom the research helped
Cons
always more work to do
UCSF is a great place to work and co-worker are friendly and helpful. Indeed, I met many best friends there in the last eight years' service.
Programmer / Analyst III (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2013
-I worked with users to analyze report requirements, create program specification documents, design and generate complex reports and forms using PL/SQL, Crystal Report and Microsoft Office application.

- I wrote complex programs and reports for data integrity checking, data pulls, upload or updates, analysis of business strategies and campaigns and, for mailing or telemarketing; work with users to define, develop, test and maintain new applications in support of business requirements. Trouble-shooting data and software application failure. Created and scheduled periodic daily / monthly reports to users.

- I was responsible for training University Development users about applications, programs and reports created by the incumbent and other IT staff; enters all project activities with details of solutions/programs developed daily in the Track-it help desk system and ensures that others in the department can access and utilize work product; and perform other duties as assigned.
My days at UCSF
Post Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 10, 2014
The density of brilliant researchers and physician scientists is probably one of the highest in the country at UCSF. The compact city campus allows for a constant churning of ideas and innovation. However, when I was there, mechanisms to protect ideas, worker bees, post-doctoral fellows were poor to very poor.
We founded a postoctoral scholar's association, were able to get a designated administrator to oversee the postdoctoral population and architectured a nascent process through which interests of post docs could be protected and their concerns addressed. Many advances have been made since.
I learned the power of organization; how to work with the system to get your voice heard; how to achieve your goals not through confrontation but with effective dialogue; and the art of networking.
Pros
city atmosphere, highly interactive environment, helpful colleagues.
Cons
expensive city living, inadequate compensation.
Worst work experience!
Specialist I (Former Employee) –  SFGHJuly 28, 2012
I worked at the UCSF, SFGH location in the Division of Cardiology for 7 months. It was the worst work experience I've ever had. The job description did not match my current job duties and was told once I started the position that the job description changed. My supervisor was a horrible manager and showed favoritism towards the other coworkers. She also did not care much for her staff's career advancement and provided onlly negative feedback. After I left my position, I applied for another position with the Division of Cardiology at the Parnassus and Mission Bay location. The recruitment by HR was handled unethically. My experience was similar to a storyline from a bad movie. I think UCSF provides a great potential for career opportunity depending on the supervisor and department.
Pros
innovative research
Cons
terrible management, unpleasant work environment, disrespectful coworkers, unethical hiring practices
Great Place to Work
Documentation Specialist/Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  The Mission, San FranciscoMay 14, 2015
UCSF succeeds at establishing innovative solutions in the provenance of health care. It devises means and methods to improve the quality of life overall, and I was elated to be a cell in the very tissue of this constantly evolving creature.

I worked in IT as a documentation/technical writer. Great pay! Great people, amazing health benefits, retirement and working in the City (the Mission) is, despite the fact that the Mission has become rather sterile due to all the techies that have moved here, a wonder.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits, Job Security, Work/Life Balance
Cons
The Mission sucks, too many techies ruining it, Can't wait for the bubble to burst and send, all these techies back, to their parents' garages in wisconsin
Working with patient's from all over the world
RN Staff Nurse II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 5, 2014
Assessing the patient and attaining the patient's vital signs. Putting the information into the electric medical record. As the patient's arrive for their appointments the same is completed. Between scheduled patients, as a RN patients can be called, teaching material can be developed, review of abnormal test can be reviewed and ect.
Working with my co-workers varied due to we were in a small area and people's moods varied.
The most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of sick patient's that were placed in the sick room for longer stays.
Pros
the rn position in a clinic seemed very easy.
Cons
working in a small area with so many different personalities and moods was difficult.
Interesting place to work, many setbacks due to funding, lack of management direction
Funds Manager/Analyst III (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 13, 2012
I had not learned any new skills as I came here with quite a bit of expertise. Lack of funding forced me to be on furlough for 21 days of one year and constant re-organization in the last year of work there. Re-organization of area and campus in general with less focus on experience and more on youth...several staff who were aged 50 and over were laid off in two re-organization waves. Lack of usage of Six Sigma principles in many campus/hospital areas.
Pros
location: in a large city
Cons
short breaks, management issues and constant job insecurity
Best research hospital I have ever worked at
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2015
I have worked at several leading research hospitals as a neuroscientist. Compared to the competitors (e.g., Ivy League East Coast hospitals and the leading Midwest universities), I am certain that UCSF provides the best work environment of all, with modern facilities, renowned Nobel Prize winners, and efficient administrative support staff. I felt my colleagues were brilliant scientists with less ego and attitude than the East Coast professors. The seminars were top-notch and the work-life balance (e.g. benefits, gym facilities) for employees makes everyone happy to come to work. Teamwork and mentorship were valued and encouraged.
Pros
research quality, clinical expertise, facilities, support staff, benefits, location
Great facility to work at with a beautiful view of San Francisco
Aquatics Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2014
Overall UCSF is a wonderful University to work for. We have a 5 story workout facility that is given to all employees for free. There are 3 gyms we can attend in San Francisco. My co-workers are friendly and kind. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to make a difference in people's lives. A typical day at work includes meeting my students on the pool deck, discussing our day play with the students, and getting to work in the pool. This includes going over safety skills and learning a new skill in each class.
Cons
parking can be difficult
Good, but terrible
Analyst/Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2012
This was a horrifying job experience. I have never encountered so much "prejudice" in my life. I was actually told by one co-worker responsible for my "advancement"..."I don't see why white males think they are "entitled" (to better positions)". Post major surgery I was even told that I "should learn to be "Grateful""! The "learning opportunities" were limited to only those "approved" for job specific applications, so there was no growth opportunity.
Worst managed hospital I ever worked at.
Radiology (Current Employee) –  UCSFSeptember 11, 2013
Stay away from Radiology. It's a great place to learn the latest but there are way too many "chiefs" who have no business managing people. There may be a few people happy in the overall department but most are not and the number 1 issue you'll hear is how bad the management is. Good luck!
Pros
learn things you won't see anywhere else
Cons
if you don't mind incompetent managers

Comment – February 17, 2014

I agree. I've been in the radiology department over 7 years and it is the worst managed place I have ever worker. Management is incompetent and due to poor surveys by employees, they have all been going through training to learn to be better. The problem is the breed that works at UCSF isn't capable of changing so we are still stuck with their poor ability to manage people and resources. The "Peter Principle" is alive and well here. Also, when you have so many managers per subordinates, you wonder what the need is and can the money spent on their positions be better used elsewhere to make it a better place to work.

loved job
Residency Program Coord Asst/Admin Asst III (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 16, 2012
deadlines, heavy phones, schedules, planning.
learned multiple computer programs on my own, learned different operating systems., found and implemented new policies and practices.
management put in position as default, no prior experience, lack of training
the hardest part of my job was working for a supervisor who was involved with her personal life and not the welfare of my training.
i love my job, i enjoyed the challenge.
Pros
travel
Cons
inexperienced supervisors
Great place to work. Lots of diversity.
Administrative Assistant II (Student Health) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 22, 2013
UCSF is a great place to work, Especially if you like to work in a diverse environment. Normally there are great opportunities for advancement in careers especially in the education advancement department. UCSF gives you tons of opportunities to learn and grow. The only draw back that I have realized is budgeting. I have noticed that some jobs are being cut due to budget. It is essential that one builds up seniority in the UC system to keep job security.
Pros
diversity, education advancement.
Cons
budget
Loved it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 11, 2014
I was the admin asst in a research lab where everyday was different. I learned that I was better at accounting than I thought. I loved my boss--and even after 14 years, we still keep in touch. Loved the people in the lab. Organized and ran 2 medical conferences offsite; worked with another AA to run research day every year for 9 years onsite.
Pros
great opportunities for different types of work
Cons
couldn't keep me busy enough
Nice place to work, with bad management/supervision
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 29, 2013
UCSF is in many ways a great place to work. Decent benefits, nice people, congenial location. However, there are significant problems with the way management and supervision of administrative staff is handled. Often, unit heads are medical doctors, but in many cases they lack experience with supervision or administration - at least outside of a lab.

While some administrative positions are unionized, which produces a useful forum for redress of supervision issues, many are not.
Pros
benefits, location
Cons
management
Innovative, Strong Work/Life Balance, Supportive Environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 26, 2015
I am lucky enough to have a supervisor that strongly promotes work/life balance and allows for creativity and for me to present new ideas. She does not micro manage but instead allows me to pave my own path and seek advice and assistance when required. I complete my work by the deadline and am trusted with confidential and high level projects. It is a supportive and friendly environment to work in.
A Positive and Engaging Work Environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 19, 2014
-a typical day includes recruiting, screening, and running subjects followed by data entry, QA/QC, biosample processing
-less frequent activities include IRB and CTSI submission, study set up and initiation, report writing
-management is vital, and requires special attention
-positive interaction with coworkers
-hardest part are deadlines
-most enjoyable part is submitting the Final Report
Best Job to date
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 18, 2014
The Center of Deafness is now closed due to budgetary cuts. Working there was the best job of my life. My co-workers made every day a pleasure. There was never a day I did not want to go to work. Our clients appreciated the care all the staff gave. It was the epidomy of the perfect clinic.
Pros
caring, professional, flexible office atmosphere
Cons
budgetary constraints made salaries stagnant
Amazing physicians
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2013
UCSF- San Francisco General Hospital is an incredible place for individuals who want to work in healthcare, and work with underserved populations. Helping those who need it most made going to work beyond fulfilling and never once did I wake up dreading to go to work. It is one of the greatest working experiences I've been fortunate enough to have.