University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews

Great workplace
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 26, 2015
I was proud to be an employee at UCSF. It's a very enjoyable place to work and they make sure you are well informed about pharmaceuticals and equipment you use on a daily basis.
Innovative, Strong Work/Life Balance, Supportive Environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 26, 2015
I am lucky enough to have a supervisor that strongly promotes work/life balance and allows for creativity and for me to present new ideas. She does not micro manage but instead allows me to pave my own path and seek advice and assistance when required. I complete my work by the deadline and am trusted with confidential and high level projects. It is a supportive and friendly environment to work in.
After six years with UCSF, promotions are lacking wages are too low for effective saving or living comfortably in the city.
Staff Research Associate (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: read above...
Additionally,

Egoism and power trips are the normal way handling disputes/fair treatment from the higher ups and HR is toothless and ineffectual. Despite the liberal nature of the constituents of the this massive bay area machine, it is quite clear that even the nobility of the scientific endeavor can be muddled for the benefit of the few. As staff we are left to observe this quietly and if we speak out you may as well count on being relegated to cleaning the -80C as your primary duty, and say goodby to your potential "authorship." I have worked in 4 labs, only one is noble and genuinely good to their staff and students. One! And in that one lab my most beloved superior ever (a Harvard organic chemist and MD), left to go kaiser, stating "UC is going don the tubes." I believe him now and I am looking for my chance to move on to something better in industry. That being said, it would suck to have to accept horrible wages just for good benefits. UC, you can do much better for us but you choose to keep staff just above water financially in this city-not cool for people wanting to and in some cases changing the world.

I suppose its a good start for recent grads and maybe for a year or two, but don't get your hopes up. The UC moniker may make you starry eyed but measure your expectations before accepting your offer letter.

Good luck out there!

A
Great place to work.
Practice Assistant/Surgery Coordinator (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 26, 2015
UCSF is a great place to work for if you love customer service and working with patients, you will meet interesting patients from all over the globe.
Great Place to Work
Documentation Specialist/Technical Writer (Current Employee), The Mission, San FranciscoMay 14, 2015
Pros: Great Pay, Great Benefits, Job Security, Work/Life Balance
Cons: The Mission sucks, too many techies ruining it, Can't wait for the bubble to burst and send, all these techies back, to their parents' garages in wisconsin
UCSF succeeds at establishing innovative solutions in the provenance of health care. It devises means and methods to improve the quality of life overall, and I was elated to be a cell in the very tissue of this constantly evolving creature.

I worked in IT as a documentation/technical writer. Great pay! Great people, amazing health benefits, retirement and working in the City (the Mission) is, despite the fact that the Mission has become rather sterile due to all the techies that have moved here, a wonder.
Educational and innovative
Disability Management Associate III (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 8, 2015
While at UCSF, the experience thus far has been great where innovation and development in health care brought me to utilize my skills and pursue higher education; to become a part of this great institution that not only cares about its employees, yet also about humanity.
fascinating environment
Project Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 7, 2015
a system dedicate to research and moving science forward. lots of exposure to research and health care developments. Generally, very professional and focused on patients and research.
Stressed
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 3, 2015
I am not happy to work here. Feel very stressed and no job security. I will definitely tell people to make everything very clear before you take the position of post doctoral fellow.
this is part of my program as a nurse practitioner
Training in Global Health (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Amazing collaboration in between health professionals
good training in global and public health
Good teaching hospital
Best research hospital I have ever worked at
Research Technician (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: research quality, clinical expertise, facilities, support staff, benefits, location
I have worked at several leading research hospitals as a neuroscientist. Compared to the competitors (e.g., Ivy League East Coast hospitals and the leading Midwest universities), I am certain that UCSF provides the best work environment of all, with modern facilities, renowned Nobel Prize winners, and efficient administrative support staff. I felt my colleagues were brilliant scientists with less ego and attitude than the East Coast professors. The seminars were top-notch and the work-life balance (e.g. benefits, gym facilities) for employees makes everyone happy to come to work. Teamwork and mentorship were valued and encouraged.
A Positive and Engaging Work Environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 19, 2014
-a typical day includes recruiting, screening, and running subjects followed by data entry, QA/QC, biosample processing
-less frequent activities include IRB and CTSI submission, study set up and initiation, report writing
-management is vital, and requires special attention
-positive interaction with coworkers
-hardest part are deadlines
-most enjoyable part is submitting the Final Report
Overall excellent for postdoctoral training
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 2, 2014
Great environment for collaborative and translational biomedical research. However, the pay is low for post-docs.
Great work
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 19, 2014
Extremely pleasant experience. Clean, efficient, and well organized facilities.
Excellent working environment
Family Nurse Practitioner Preceptor-ship residency (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 10, 2014
Nice and supportive staff members. Clinical trainings were well organized.
Great Benefits
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 7, 2014
Cons: location
I Love UCSF for its benefits and the way they treat their employees
Wonderfully supportive workplace
Labor & Employee Relations Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: professional development opportunities
The collaborative work style and consensus driven approach creates an atmosphere where diversity of thought is welcomed.
Productive and fun work place
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2014
I think that working at UCSF has been a memorable experience because all of my colleagues helped me tremendously in understanding different aspects of BIology.
My days at UCSF
Post Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: city atmosphere, highly interactive environment, helpful colleagues.
Cons: expensive city living, inadequate compensation.
The density of brilliant researchers and physician scientists is probably one of the highest in the country at UCSF. The compact city campus allows for a constant churning of ideas and innovation. However, when I was there, mechanisms to protect ideas, worker bees, post-doctoral fellows were poor to very poor.
We founded a postoctoral scholar's association, were able to get a designated administrator to oversee the postdoctoral population and architectured a nascent process through which interests of post docs could be protected and their concerns addressed. Many advances have been made since.
I learned the power of organization; how to work with the system to get your voice heard; how to achieve your goals not through confrontation but with effective dialogue; and the art of networking.
Working with patient's from all over the world
RN Staff Nurse II (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 5, 2014
Pros: the rn position in a clinic seemed very easy.
Cons: working in a small area with so many different personalities and moods was difficult.
Assessing the patient and attaining the patient's vital signs. Putting the information into the electric medical record. As the patient's arrive for their appointments the same is completed. Between scheduled patients, as a RN patients can be called, teaching material can be developed, review of abnormal test can be reviewed and ect.
Working with my co-workers varied due to we were in a small area and people's moods varied.
The most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of sick patient's that were placed in the sick room for longer stays.
Great opportunity
Psychology Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 27, 2014
UCSF is a great site for employment. There are hardworking and talented co-workers. There is best of science and research infused when providing care to clients.