University of California -Irvine Employee Reviews in United States

Great Employer
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 6, 2016
Greeting patients as they checked in for their appointments, Collecting co-pays, scheduling their next follow up appointments, answering incoming phone calls and completing supplement sales.
I learned that their is not just Western medicine, their is also Integrative medicine for natural healing. Management was great. My co-workers and myself worked like a well oiled machine. The hardest part of my job was my hour and a half commute. The most enjoyable part of my job was creating a family type of relationship with our patients.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Job location was too far for myself
great bennefis
Medical Assistant for Occupational Health (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 3, 2016
After working there for many years I have seen CEOs coming and going every 5 years like clock work, and every time a new one comes in, more budget cuts are made, and the staff and the patients suffer. The staff get real cut throat because they don't want to be the ones cut, which causes great tension among co-workers. They keep giving you more to do and no coverage if a team member is off. I would also say that it's who you know if you want to move up, no real incentives if you are good at what you do and work harder than any one else. There are lots of VIPs. But the benefits are great!
Pros
Excellent health insurance
Cons
They often over extend you
Fun, fast paced but with little to no advancement opportunity
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 11, 2015
The university is very narrow minded in their opinions on employees. Dedication, capabilities, passed experience and potential are not taken into account, only your highest form of education. Your level of degree is the only factor for consideration. However, the environment which is fostered with the students is wonderful. You get a reminder on a daily basis of what it is like to be young and they keep it exciting. You get an opportunity to feel like you are making an impact on a new generation and forming a positive example.
Pros
Quality employee base. Exciting environment with students.
Cons
No advancement opportunity. Politics. Heavy turnover.
An undergraduate research
BCI "Brain control interface" researcher (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 16, 2015
Had no compensation in terms of pay, but was an opportunity to learn skill sets related to the BCI field. Many times it was my by myself tinkering with building a device.
Pros
Helpful interested mentors
Cons
Lack of structure
Love the company and the management
Fixed Assets Accountant (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CASeptember 29, 2014
Great company to work for... Hard to get in but do your best if you can get a job there.
Pros
great benefits and salary
Cons
promotion is hard to get
Exciting and different
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 9, 2013
It was a wonderful experience and would recommend it to anyone who is seeking a position in higher education.
Frequent travel meant many days of work in a row, but the results were worth it.
Pros
location, benefits, and reputation
Cons
job security
Execute projects and be a catalyst between project management and the laboratory staff to execute projects on time.
Postdoctoral Scholar and lab manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 22, 2014
What I do at work: Set up animal Chronic kidney disease model; Serum and urine general biochemical assays; Western blot assay; Real-time PCR assays; Immunohistochemistry assay; Order for the lab; Lab safety supervision and representative.

My coworker: Graduate and undergraduate students, one nephrologist and several volunteers with M.D degree.

The hardest part of the job: cooperate the team when the animal surgery is in the course.

The most enjoyable part of the job: to train the undergraduate and graduate students.
Passionate and engaged faculty and staff
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 21, 2013
The Department of Art History at the University of California Irvine is dedicated to creating opportunities for students to use what they have learned outside of the classroom and to get to know the faculty and staff personally.
Pros
events, comfortable environment
Cons
politics of the uc system
Good place to work as a regular staff
Project Scientist (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 15, 2014
Good culture, fun to work, great co-workers,
Facilities for research are good
Fantastic networking opportunities
Pros
good location to live
Cons
postdoc is not fun, depends on the pi you work for
I was drawn to working at The Univeristy of California at Irvine becuase of its dedication to research.
Staff Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 26, 2012
My education and professional experience prepared me for the phenomenal experience in research on human subjects, unfortunately the NIH determined that the feasibility of the study was suited better in a clinical setting (clinic or doctors office) and the NIH did not renew all 30 universities contracts.
Pros
an admiriation for the staff that believed in the study and their dedication.
Cons
simply that it was brought to a close.
Amazing place to work.
Student Affairs Officer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 22, 2013
I love my job at UCI and the management really took care of me.
My boss was so great to work with.
Nice
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 1, 2013
Very challenging and competitive place for academic research
Interesting
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 4, 2015
Worked with great thinkers. Had a positive experience. I would recommend this company over others of its kind.
PhD research at UCI
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 9, 2014
I was an exciting opportunity to work with one of the experts in the field. I gained extensive experience in research regarding kinematics of mechanisms and robotics.
Pros
research
Enthusiastic research staff and professors
Civil-Environmental Engineering PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 13, 2013
The SPL laboratory at UC Irvine focuses on fundamental fluid mechanics associated with subsurface fluid processes. Experienced staff and enthusiastic research group members. Some ties and funding from industry.
Pros
broad research areas
Cons
little focus in engineering applications
Good place for graduate school
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 25, 2013
When considering graduate programs, UCI has a lot to offer. The climate is great and the facilities are up to date and comfortable. Irvine is a very boring place to live, and a graduate student's stipend is very low compared with the surrounding areas.
Pros
72 degrees and sunny
Cons
orange county
Very Friendly place.
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 6, 2013
Pull records file paper work got to listen to music. The day went by pretty fast when you work with people you enjoy spending time with. Best job i had.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
nothing bad about them
Fun & Exciting
Surgical Technologist - Internship (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 1, 2013
The Staff is great and everyone works as a team.
Breaks were always given in time.
The work environment made you feel comfortable and actually want to go and work!
wonderful training environment with great mentors
Fellow in Urogynecology (FMPRS) (Current Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 3, 2013
I feel fortunate to have trained at UC Irvine with the wonderful group of renound physicians both there and at Kaiser Permanente.
Cutting edge research at Academic level
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 30, 2013
Excellent University to conduct Biomedical research. Hours are determined by Principal investigator, but usually falls within 9am-5pm work schedules.

4.4