University of California at Santa Barbara

University of California at Santa Barbara Employer Reviews

Grader for Advanced Linear Algebra Class
Grader (Former Employee), Goleta, CAFebruary 23, 2014
I was able to set my own hours as I was given weekly tasks to complete. I corrected the homework and gave students feedback dependent on their issues with the problem sets. I held office hours for additional help for the students.
Interesting work. good people
Senior Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAOctober 30, 2013
Pros: very interesting work.
Cons: had to leave due to contract ending.
Worked on the FEL(free electron laser) with two three other techs,
Top Research University
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAOctober 11, 2013
UCSB has great researchers and a challenging academic environment.
Fun.
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CASeptember 13, 2013
Graduate school at UCSB provided a great atmosphere for collaboration throughout the Ph.D. In addition, Santa Barbara is a beautiful city to live in.
Graduate Assistantship in the Computer Science Department
Reader - Computer Science (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CASeptember 5, 2013
• Grading Position with CS24 - Advanced Concepts in Programming
• Handled Lab assignments, graded term papers for a 150 strong class
Great benefits and potential for advancement
Undergraduate Advisor | Student Affairs Officer (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAMarch 27, 2013
Pros: great health benefits
Cons: low salaries vs. cost of living
Great place to get your feet wet at a beautiful location. UCSB provides a very competitive and political working environment. As a somewhat established professional it was not worth the low pay and day to day nuances that come within the university setting. If you are someone coming from an outside institution the university setting may or may not be – more... for you. A lot of employees are tenure or have been in their set ways for 5 plus years and are very prideful in what they do and not necessarily always open to new ideas. Be prepared to have a 'wait your turn' approach and be acknowledged for your experience and individual accolades within the university and not so much for the experience or ideas you may bring from prior working experience. – less
What makes UCSB a great place are the people.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 28, 2013
Generally speaking the people the have chosen to work at UCSB are committed to supporting a dynamic undergraduate culture. Because there is a very small graduate school, the main focus is on university education and training. There aren't the enormous egos like you get at large, graduate-based universities. This makes it a great work and school environment
Fun environment
Fitness Monitor (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 21, 2013
working at the housing department was always fun. It was great to work with other people who have the same values as I did.
Good employer, let down by a bad culture in one department
Scheduling Systems Manager (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CASeptember 26, 2012
Pros: nice campus
Cons: lack of budget
The day was typically spent creating the schedule of classes, data entry and responding to enquiries from departments about room or time swaps.

I learnt that I'm quite good at the puzzle of making things fit (like sudoku) .

Generally speaking the management were stressed but ok. There were many fine people in my department but at its heart were a – more... group of negative nay-sayers who were determined to mock, dissect and complain about everything. It really affected the morale and atmosphere.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with constant data entry. Staring at a screen for days at a time copying numbers from papers was awful. Due to budget cuts a decision was made not to fill an empty position but to split the work between my colleague and I. This increased the workload dramatically.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the location. It's a beautiful campus. – less