University of California Berkeley Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work for
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 8, 2017
I've learned to work large assignment and complete them. I started as a temp and was on time and hired fulltime. Overall this is a fun company to work for .
I was a PA on a particularly hectic shoot
Investigative Reporting, Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2017
But, I also got to film inside some really cool buildings and bring awareness to a really worthwhile cause. It was overall a very positive experience, though tiring in the end.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Hectic schedule
Productive and fun place
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 3, 2017
Excellent atmosphere for research. Great communication between colleagues makes this place one of the best in the world to carry out scientific research. Funding situation can be better.
Research
Researcher (Former Employee) –  CampusFebruary 1, 2017
Basically just standard postdoc research. While an undergraduate, I was treated just as another member of the team. Was a great working environment.
Productive and fun work place
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 19, 2017
A typical work day usually lasts 12 hours. Have built numerous lifetime friendships. The hardest part of the job is work balance. You work more time than you have off.
Great
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 11, 2017
It had been very enjoyable place to work. I have gotten a lot of experience and it was easy to work there. I would highly recommend other people to work there.
helping disabled students is fun
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 6, 2017
As tutors, we help disabled students because sometimes classrooms are not accessible to them so that they are unable to attend labs/discussions with regular TAs. we help them solve problems, understand lectures etc. We can also better understand lectures' materials ourselves.
fun work place
Student Cataloger, Maffitt Library (Current Employee) –  Maffitt LibraryJanuary 4, 2017
I have fun and do enjoy doing my job as a student cataloger because my work fasts forward the process for the staff catalogers to be able to go through books easily after i have worked on them, as well as to move a step forward for books to be made a label for and be sent to circulation to be put on shelves for students to check out.
Pros
peaceful work enviroment
Vigorous and dynamic workplace
Administrative Assistant & Instructor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CADecember 22, 2016
Arrive at 7:30am, set up tables, games, lesson plan for my class. As the children arrived I checked-in each student, directed students to their sport/class. We separated the students into groups based on their age, then checked-in students into my class/sport which was baseball. I had six one hour instruction lessons with groups ages 5-7, ages 8-10, and ages 11-13. I advanced my skills with Microsoft Office, and communication skills with my co-workers, students, and parents. The most difficult part of the job was to keep updates to parents during after hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was to watch the children develop their all around skills with my help and creating a good system of communication with my co-workers.
Pros
UC Berkeley association
Cons
Short Breaks
Proud to serve the #1 Public University
Purchasing Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 20, 2016
There is pride coming to work at this campus. Being a part of the preservation of its history and its future, I get a little emotional.
Ucb
Program Leader and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Union City, CADecember 14, 2016
Great progressive institution that gives its employees the freedom to work in there own unique way but guides them enough to make sure they are on the correct path of objectivity.
A great environment to work
RESEARCH ADMINISTRATOR II (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 14, 2016
UC Berkeley offers a great benefit and salary for employees. It is the best work environment that everyone would look for. The managers are excellent and nice.
Great University
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 21, 2016
UC Berkeley os an academic Mecca. You find the great people, great professor, a strong tradition and culture. Doing research here it's a pleasure and a honor
Challenging and appreciated
SENIOR FINANCIAL ANALYST-SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 16, 2016
As an Educational Institution, UCB encouraged staff to develop their professional path and tooled them with training to succeed in their career. Staff are knowledgeable and always willing to help.
Great, motivated, fast paced
Doudna Lab Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 3, 2016
I work in a biochemistry laboratory at UC Berkeley. The nature of the research is cutting edge, so every member is very motivated and talented.
Pay is awful and employees are overworked
Research Administrator (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 5, 2016
UC Berkeley does not believe in fair compensation, promotion or training. Money is tight and the offices are dirty and parking is scarce. Most people don't stay for more than a year or two in research administration, where I worked.
Enjoy working with co-workers & our boss listens and tries to be fair to everyone
Principal Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAAugust 25, 2016
I work remotely and loving it. I am on-call in the evening.

I love the working environment when I go into the office to visit.
My boss is the best, he's very cool in handling crisis and strive to make it fair to all his staffs.
Pros
working remotely, be my own boss
Fun place to work and develope yourself rapidly
Programmer Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAAugust 17, 2016
UC Berkeley is one the most enovative public school in the country. We have allot of bright smart motivated students. Working with them on research in challenging life problems make you thrive and think outside the box. In addition you have all these papers and research to look at and advance yourself.
Working/studying at UC Berkeley have changed my life to the better.
Awesome
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 14, 2016
Awesome learning environment!
As an undergraduate researcher, you get to explore different scientific fields. So there are always great learning opportunities that you just need to take the initiatives.
Pros
Great learning opportunities
UC Berkeley was a great place to work.
Transcript Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 13, 2016
I worked at UC Berkeley from 1990 up to my retirement July 2015. I started as a Secretary I and moved up to management as the Lead College Advisor, in the College of Natural Resources.

As the transcript supervisor, I oversaw the transcript requests and ensured they were processed and mailed in a timely manner. In this position I supervised 5-6 fulltime employees, 2-3 work study students and 2 part-time employees. While I was the transcript supervisor, the unit had not moved to an automated system which it has now, but I was very instrumental with input on the new system and how it should look on the students end.
Pros
Great location, transportation accessible, and great benefits.
Cons
Difficulty moving up the ranks to the job you truly love.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Berkeley. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2