University of California Berkeley Employee Reviews in United States

Stable job but not much room for advancement
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 2, 2016
I don't mind what I do, but I feel like the management has always been really weak at every department that I have worked for. It's also really hard to grow here since they do not often promote people from within. Being a regular employee here is hard, but if you can get into management then you are set. They treat managers here very VERY well! If you're not a manager then...things aren't so great.
Pros
Benefits are pretty good
Cons
Low pay, lots of work, difficult to move upward
Excellent Place to Work if you can get a good benefits pckg.
Policy Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 19, 2015
I love working at UC, because I have the pleasure of feeling like I am contributing to the public good by helping students with their educations and faculty with their research. At the same time, I have a very short commute and have very interesting colleagues at every level. The pay is not terrific and it's hard to get promoted beyond a certain level, but there is tremendous job security, and since I've been in the system a while, great benefits. I am not as sure about that last for new employees.
Pros
excellent colleagues, no real dress code
Cons
fewer pay increases than industry, benefits for new employees not great
Working as U.C.B. has been rewarding.
Administrative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 19, 2016
If you have the right Supervisor at U.C. Berkeley it can be a challenging yet rewarding place to work. It is a good place to work.
Pros
The work has been interesting. Management is knowlegable and Helpful.
Cons
Very poor pay.
Lots of work and always leaning something new
Financial Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 25, 2016
A typical day at work for me involves running monthly reports. Forecasting revenue and expenses for 4+ years in advance. Working with coworkers to closeout fund deficits and creating financial models that I present to PI's and facility directors to review departmental budgets.
Pros
benefits, great people to work with
Cons
lack of diversity, no more for career growth
Good learning environment and placement, necessary meetings.
Labor Center Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 9, 2016
I think the communication could have been better, but their was great support. I was placed at a labor union in San Jose and I was to inform security officers possibly interested in joining the union for equal pay, fair hours, and equal opportunities.
Pros
They took input well.
Cons
There was poor communication among the co's
An exciting and culturally enriching place to work
invited professor and lab manager (Former Employee) –  UC BerkeleyJuly 29, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the work as a faculty in U.C Berkeley was supervising Grad students with their dissertation: Helping them with data collection and analysis, writing and publishing, as well as with the theoretical aspects. Being a full time researcher and part of a friendly team is quite enjoyable.

As a lab manager, the hardest part of the job was dealing with the administration and grants.

The job in the auditory laboratory lab was quite diverse in all respects and included frequent meetings, seminars, conferences, and travels.

The most striking feature was the international nature of the work itself.
Pros
Team work, job safety, benefits, flexible hours, international cooperation
Cons
No real breaks due to the nature of the job : research
Fun place to teach, but sometimes navigating the bureaucracy is frustrating
Graduate Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 18, 2016
Teaching at UC Berkeley was an excellent experience. I really enjoyed the students. The two cons are that (1) as a Graduate Student Instructor, the pay is very low and (2) there is a large bureaucracy, which sometimes makes it difficult to get things done.
Enjoying but hard
Class project (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 7, 2016
I firmly believe it is the best school in the America. There are plenty of smart people studying with you from different country, so you definitely wanna miss the various cultures. The education is hard, but if you know what exactly wanna to do in the future, you will not find the hard time in the 4 years
Good Team Members
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 20, 2016
Very fast paced work environment within the Human Resources Dept.
However, the work culture environment is very good to work in with employees that share information and provide cross training.
Pros
Good working environment and culture
Cons
Campus is very difficult to walk around in
Teaching students about using R programming
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 18, 2016
It gives me the opportunity to speak in public and teach undergrads to learn more about statistical computing. By using R, students were able to get hands on experience on data cleaning, data analysis and data visualization.
Amazing
Entrepreneurial Marketing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Great people and inspiring to be there. UC is very supportive and put me through an adult education course that was very helpful. The team is terrific and the students are very interesting and fun to teach. Love it.
Pros
International students are very creative and fun to teach.
Great Team Working Environment
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 11, 2016
Multi union employee's; 500- 900 Employees. 60% Manual Entries. Non-Exempt, and Exempt Employees.
Bi-Weekly, and Monthly pay schedules. Workers' Comp, Vacation, and Sick Accrual Adjustments. KRONOS, HCM, OPTRS.
class project
Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 17, 2016
base don the material I learned in the class I was trying to apply the material in real life at elementary school.
children had to draw their family portrait, and their emotional attachment patter was judged based on their drawing.
Pros
lots of learning
Cons
emotionally difficult
great place to work
Hyperion Planning Functional Administrator (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 8, 2016
great place to work.

I enjoy working at Berkeley, and our team is recognized as a high-performing team on campus. I feel like leadership is looking out for me.
Hasher
Hasher/dish washer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 14, 2016
This was a good position at CAL, I worked as a hasher. I mostly washed dishes in the chef's kitchen while also doing prep cook work from time to time. The organization treated me well and I was appreciative of their organization and infrastructure.
Pros
The whole position and organzation
Cons
some task were not desirable
Variety of jobs at UC Berkeley
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 2, 2016
UC Berkeley has lots of opportunities and is a good place to find all kinds of jobs. I was in a research lab in the NucE department, everyone was pretty chill and easy going.
Inadequate training for new employees unfamiliar with UC systems
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 12, 2015
Minimal management interaction with job requirements/training, inadequate training for employees unfamiliar with UC Systems.
Great place to work for
Financial Analyst 4 (Current Employee) –  UC Berkeley, CANovember 13, 2015
I started working at UCB about 5 years ago. I started as a financial analyst 2 and currently a financial analyst 4. I've had the chance to work with several research units on campus. I currently manage the finances for the botanical garden and the Hearst Museum.
My coworkers are a pleasure to work with and I have a great working relationship with my Supervisor. It is a fast paced challenging place, but it is a joy to work with my current units.
fun workplace
Swimmer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Go bears! i love this school and the enviornment it presents, prepares you for the future and anything that you hope to accomplish.
vase culture enviroment
C AMPUS T RANSIT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 4, 2014
Great place to work, they provided on-hands training associated with supervision,and management training, there was always advancement opportunities within the department and throughout the University System. My co-workers were very supportive, that's where I mostly received 80% of my training. The hardest part of my job was having to release an employee due to poor performance, not being able to meet there job standard. Most enjoyable part of my job was helping and training new employees, that reflected on me, my ability to train employee's
Pros
during the christmas holidays, the university closed down for 11 days with pay
Cons
medical coverage was at no cost to employee if you signed up with kaiser