University of California Berkeley Employee Reviews

It was very enjoyable and an safe environment to build your personal skills
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 24, 2013
As an academic tutor for the Athletics Study Center, I mainly tutor athletes in various subjects; the subjects I tutor in are Economics, Sociology, and Statistics. Working with the football, swimming, gymnastics, and basketball team, I have developed a strong appreciation for athletes and sports overall. I admire these athletes greatly because of their ability to not only do well in sports, but also academically. Although they may not be getting A’s in all their course work, it is very evident that they are trying to succeed in school. It is important for them to understand that an educational degree from a world famous university will only be beneficial for their future. Teaching these students have also taught me that hard work and determination are the key qualities that are needed to succeed in life. Overtime, I have been able to develop great social and communication skills. Working with these athletes has helped me build confidence because it takes an optimistic, friendly, and outgoing attitude to break through to these athletes. At first, my students are very hesitant to ask me for help or confide in me, but as time passes, they being to see me not only as their tutor, but also as their friend; that is one of them benefits of this job. Of course, helping them get good grades is also a great outcome
Beautiful Building but Terrible Food Service department
Former Director (Former Employee) –  International HouseJuly 3, 2012
The International house - I-House is a beautiful building sitting on top of Durant over-seeing part of the UC campus and City. The international students from all over the world are housed in this beautiful housing facility which was the main mission of the developer. International House began in New York.

Having worked in the food service dept. for only a few months gave me an in-sight of a terribly operated department.

The only reason that this dept. has not been closed due to health issues is that they do not get inspected by a government agency but by UC.

They have no concept of food safety practices such as serving hot and cold food at 140 or 40 degrees; still use outdated practices such the use of bleach to sanitize; do not wash hands; do not properly prepare meats and poultry; proper storage; serving outdated products; no FIFO (first in-first out).

Sadly this beautiful place and great students have to continue to operate under poor management and little skills; knowledge and
a desire to improve and update the system.

Waste of time and energy to work here - no vision.
Pros
international students are great-warm, interesting, intelligent, worldly
Cons
poor food service management; incompetent, no vision
Miller Time!
Informational Technologist/Admin Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 3, 2012
I enjoy working for the Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science. This position allows me an opportunity to meet scientists from all over the world. I am one of the central connections for them here at the Miller Institute as I handle all of their purchases, tech questions, or even let them know about the local Berkeley restaurants. Working directly with the Miller Institute Scientists to help them organize talks at our weekly Tuesday Miller Luncheons is one of the enjoyable parts of my position. In doing so, it opens my mind to so many very interesting scientific topics. A few of the Scientists have won Nobel Prizes in various fields. Since many of the Miller Scientists are here completing research via their Fellowship, they are only on our campus for 3 years. Saying goodbye is one of the hardest parts of this position; however, I am thankful I was given the opportunity to work with them and learn from many of the greatest Scientific minds in the world.
Pros
learning extremely interesting scientific topics during their weekly miller luncheons
Cons
no advancement in my field: instructional technology w/concentration in sustainability in education
Very enjoyable
StoreKeeper/Materials Handler (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CASeptember 20, 2012
A typical work day consisted of receiving a truck of UC San Francisco surplus materials. I oversaw the timely processing of materials using an on-line automated tracking system to track surplus materials received using sku numbers.
I learned to evaluate surplus materials slated for metal recycling, E-Waste or disposal. I was fortunate to have co-workers who were supportive and believed in the all hands on deck philosophy. Co-workers functioned as a family unit.
The hardest part of the job was the space challenges we encountered weekly due to the hight volume of material shipments we received. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the ability to work independently and to have the opportunity to use your creativity. I was able to work without being micro managed.
Pros
able to purchase materials received.
Cons
man power.
An exciting and culturally enriching place to work
invited professor and lab manager (Former Employee) –  UC BerkeleyJuly 29, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the work as a faculty in U.C Berkeley was supervising Grad students with their dissertation: Helping them with data collection and analysis, writing and publishing, as well as with the theoretical aspects. Being a full time researcher and part of a friendly team is quite enjoyable.

As a lab manager, the hardest part of the job was dealing with the administration and grants.

The job in the auditory laboratory lab was quite diverse in all respects and included frequent meetings, seminars, conferences, and travels.

The most striking feature was the international nature of the work itself.
Pros
Team work, job safety, benefits, flexible hours, international cooperation
Cons
No real breaks due to the nature of the job : research
vase culture enviroment
C AMPUS T RANSIT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 4, 2014
Great place to work, they provided on-hands training associated with supervision,and management training, there was always advancement opportunities within the department and throughout the University System. My co-workers were very supportive, that's where I mostly received 80% of my training. The hardest part of my job was having to release an employee due to poor performance, not being able to meet there job standard. Most enjoyable part of my job was helping and training new employees, that reflected on me, my ability to train employee's
Pros
during the christmas holidays, the university closed down for 11 days with pay
Cons
medical coverage was at no cost to employee if you signed up with kaiser
Restrictive and Pretentious
Graduate Student Instructor (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 25, 2012
It can be fun to teach students at office hours and in the laboratory, but the strict enforcement of a grading rubric leaves little room for growth of the students beyond the rubric. Management seems to have the opinion that a lot of the students are obnoxious and complainers, which although that may be true, it doesn't help an instructor deal with the students in a positive manner. Co-workers are generally friendly and uncompetitive within the teaching realm, however, when it comes to research, you should watch your back. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I would get to write on the board and explain chemistry, I love that part.
Pros
good science
Cons
overly critical mindset
Excellent Place to Work if you can get a good benefits pckg.
Policy Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 19, 2015
I love working at UC, because I have the pleasure of feeling like I am contributing to the public good by helping students with their educations and faculty with their research. At the same time, I have a very short commute and have very interesting colleagues at every level. The pay is not terrific and it's hard to get promoted beyond a certain level, but there is tremendous job security, and since I've been in the system a while, great benefits. I am not as sure about that last for new employees.
Pros
excellent colleagues, no real dress code
Cons
fewer pay increases than industry, benefits for new employees not great
Rewarding Experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 21, 2014
This review is about a TA part-time position in UC Berkeley. A typical day at work consists of preparation, preparation and more preparation! UC Berkeley is one of the most renown universities in the United States and standards and authenticity are very important. Teaching materials must be creative and provide an enriching experience for students. The hardest part of the job is to balance the academic life between teaching, being a student and having a social life. The professor is very nurturing and co-workers are friendly. This is a great learning experience in the career of teaching.
Management and team leader skill resulting in great job performance.
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CaliformniDecember 16, 2013
TYPICAL DAY: Fast pace; quick to respond to problems; quick to resolve problems; preparing; implementing and processing concession stand before and after event; open communication when dealing with teams, staff and customers.
LEARNED: How to work with various food equipment.
MANAGEMENT: Understanding management expectations.
CO-WORKERS: Team building environment.
HARDEST PART OF THE JOB: Tracking peak hours of transactions.
ENJOYABLE PART OF JOB: Working with parent/student teams.
Pros
free meals
Cons
parking
Great place to work for
Financial Analyst 4 (Current Employee) –  UC Berkeley, CANovember 13, 2015
I started working at UCB about 5 years ago. I started as a financial analyst 2 and currently a financial analyst 4. I've had the chance to work with several research units on campus. I currently manage the finances for the botanical garden and the Hearst Museum.
My coworkers are a pleasure to work with and I have a great working relationship with my Supervisor. It is a fast paced challenging place, but it is a joy to work with my current units.
A great hands-on experience with biomedical devices while working in a laboratory environment.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  BioPOETS LabJanuary 18, 2015
I really enjoyed working in the BioPOETS Lab for Dr. Lee. I performed microfabrication of silicon wafers to mimic biomedical devices.I learned a lot about the bioengineering process and working in a lab. Lab safety was a priority. My co-workers were either undergraduate students or graduate students.
Pros
good hours
Cons
communication with bosses
Old dog
Facilities Mgt Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 7, 2013
Can't teach an old dog new tricks. This is how I feel working here. Politics and seniority get in the way of true innovative business practices here.

My typical day involves the maintenance and renovation of existing spaces at UC Berkeley. The most enjoyable part of the position involves seeing improved spaces being used to their full potential.
Pros
working in a prestigious university.
Cons
politics & bureaucracy get in the way of productivity
Great
Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 12, 2014
The most lovely people work here. A typical day at work depends on the project you're working on and if you work with animals or not. Everyone here is always willing to answer questions and provide support. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexible schedule and of course the people!
Pros
fulltime gets medical, vision, dental coverage. great pto arrangement
Cons
disappointment when your experiment doesn't work after weeks of work
Excelent research opportunities
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 4, 2013
Nice multicultural work environment, really competitive, excellent benefits although it is difficult to have work life balance -especially if you have a demanding professor as a supervisor-. Excellent research projects but as usually in Academia you can also find projects with a dead end.
Pros
excelent benefits and research projects
Cons
difficult or cero work-life balance if you are a postdoctoral employee
Exciting and Intense!
(BSC) - Ad Com Representative (Current Employee) –  2422 Ridge Rd.May 24, 2014
The Administrative Committee is composed of twelve representatives from the non-profit BSC, which collaborate bi-weekly to discuss and vote on appeals to BSC administrative policies on case-by- case basis.The most enjoyable parts of my job involved active listening, questioning, researching bylaws, and policy revision analysis. The hardest part of the job was conforming to certain agreements.
typical starting job
Summer Senior Custodian (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 17, 2014
get ready to see animal blood by a lot. and learn how to detail clean every inch of your work space. i learned how to operate machinery, handle a variety of animals, and talk spanish. my co-workers where fare with the hours and nice. the hardest part of the job was dealing with killing animals. the most enjoyable was the lunch break
Pros
free lunches
Cons
had to buy your own work equipment
Great work environment
Principal Laboratory Mechanician (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJune 20, 2015
Best place I have worked, very family orientated. Great benefits, you get health care and dental plus vision care. I get to work with some of the brightest people in the industry to help them develop their new ideas so I am constantly being challenged in my job. I rarely do the same thing everyday.
Pros
good positive work environment
Cons
Have to pay to park at work
Great option for students
Math Teaching Assistant (GSI) (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJune 7, 2013
I enjoyed working as a math teacher while being a student. Teaching really helps you understand the material yourself, so that actually helped me in the classes I was taking. In general it's a low-stress job with decent pay considering you're only working about 15-20 hours/week.
Pros
unlimited copy machine use! keys to your own office~
Cons
that office is in evans hall.....
Recruitment
Alumni Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 2, 2014
As an Alumni Ambassador, I attended college fairs and worked directly with college bound students who were interested in attending UC Berkeley. I read personal statement, answer questions regarding admission requirements and financial aid. I was also responsible for assessing students needs as it pertain to pre-graduate advising.
Pros
working with students
Cons
non