University of California Berkeley Employee Reviews

Completed research in the Department of Chemistry
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 21, 2017
A fellow peer and I created our own laboratory design project to utilize the skills that were discussed in lecture. Our project was to analytically quantify the amount of Bisphenol A (BPA), a known carcinogen, that gets leached out under extreme conditions of plastic cups. We had the freedom to choose our approach and the variables to control.
Great Athletic Department
Director of Women's Basketball Operations (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 17, 2017
Big time athletic department in the Pac12 conference. The only downside was the budget issues the State of CA faces. Great group of people working in a laid back atmosphere.
Leadership is issue
Training Manager/Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 8, 2017
It has the potential to be a great place. Leadership is lacking. There are pockets of great teams at Berkeley. I just wasn't on one of them. Changes have been after I left the department.
Donor and employee relations
Fund Raiser (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 29, 2017
Great opportunity to work with donors and various departments and other employees. Great personal development opportunities to improved people skills
Pros
Free personal education and devemopment opportunities
Relaxed environment with a highly competitive atmosphere
Graduate student reasearcher (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 23, 2017
Relaxed environment with a highly competitive atmosphere. Many opportunities. Cutting edge research occurring everywhere. Very diverse culture that is very accepting.
job
Custodian Supervisor 1 (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 20, 2017
A typical day at work would be me coming in make sure my workers are all there and in sure that everyone has the right equipment to work with what i leaned is that its hard when you sometime upper manger don't work with you.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
I Love Being A Writing Tutor
Writing Tutor>Student Learning Center & TRIO (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 18, 2017
I love teaching and tutoring students, and this position gave me the opportunity to tutor dozens of students daily, and to refine my skills so in 20 minutes I could communicate how to write or improve a paper. I had a great supervisor and great colleagues.
Pros
People from around the world and every walk of life.
Cons
Not enough time for each student.
Great place for work life balance.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 2, 2017
If you are looking for great benefits, slow pace and work-life balance then public university is a good place. Con side - layoffs, low pay, and slow pace.
Pros
work life balance.
Cons
slow pace and low pay
good job
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 1, 2017
Contract job, no job security as is renewable per semester;
Low pay, by course, with marginal benefits;
good work environment and competent managers ;
The passengers were great
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 13, 2017
The students, faculty, staff and students are the passengers and they are all great. It's the most mismanaged department on campus in my opinion. The Parking and Transportation department needs a route planner to design the routes. Until recently the busses were always breaking down.
Pros
Passenger's
excellent
Temporary leave replacement Sr custodian (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 6, 2017
it is a good workplace culture to work because you know many people from different parts of the world and the management was good and the students were very friendly
College internship
Student Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 4, 2017
This was an in-school internship so I'm not sure my review would be of any use. Also, sales in general was never the avenue I wanted to explore in depth. All in all it was a useful experience.
Good place, but...
Scheduling and Online Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 1, 2017
Pay isn't the most competitive and room for career advancement is non-existent. Great place to end you working days, but not a great place for young professionals.
Good
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAAugust 30, 2017
UC Berkeley has a good environment that is conducive to learning and working. The culture is very inclusive and employers value diversity at the workplace.
Great Job
GRANT RESEARCH ADMINISTRATOR III (Current Employee) –  Tolman HallAugust 28, 2017
I have been working with UC for about a year, and I like the position, the management, and my co-workers for the most part. I would recommend working here. There are a lot of benefits and the pay is good.
Good
Graduate Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAAugust 20, 2017
Good, value for tuition compensation. Good to get teaching experience and get over public speaking fears. Helps build network and meet people while earning money even while being a student
great environment to work in. Breezy pace.
ETHNIC STUDIES LIBRARY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAAugust 10, 2017
Because of the high volume of students using the Library's services each morning and each afternoon, there were no two same days. The more and longer I worked at the Library, the more I became familiar with the Library's inner workings. Typical daily schedule consisted of checking in and checking out books. Then there were times when students needed chunk of materials for their research and needed assistance locating the items of interest. Other parts of schedule involved collection of late fines. I spent the bulk of time performing data entry and records keeping. The management practiced hands-free approach when it came to performing tasks and the Library Assistants made decisions according to our own discretion.
Pros
helping out students
Cons
the salalry
Hostile and clique work culture
Employee (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 12, 2017
The budget engineered climate was designed to lay off an aging workforce and benefit the campus with salary savings and outsource jobs to avoid paying for benefits and retirement
Research Technician
Person (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 11, 2017
I enjoyed research-focused lab work and creative ways of thinking about environmental challenges. I learned a lot about science and how to do science.
Good benefits - very poor job security
Business/Tech Support Analyst 3 (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 10, 2017
Yearly budget issues culminate in a job with little felt job security. Advancement goes only so far in one's department, and one can get easily topped out and dead-ended.

Work/Life balance depends on what job at the University you hold, as does job security. If you are a faculty member or upper management you stand to have better job security than does someone in IT support.
Pros
University culture
Cons
poor job security