University of California Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Laboratory Assistant/ Researcher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 16, 2017
Typical I would check in with management and plan out the day if anything other than our standard duties needed to be addressed. Then I Would head over to my work station and start on my experiment. Since there were limited materials I had to coordinate with the other members on my team. The overall workplace culture was friendly and productive; everyone got their work done in a timely fashion and we enjoyed the work we were doing. Communication was effective, it was done either in person or with emails.
Pros
Encourage exploration of new ideas
Cons
healthcare
Its a great place to learn and get a great education.
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 16, 2017
l attended the site transfer program at UCLA to get better information on how to transfer and how to gain access to good school programs. earned great things about school and how to take my career to the next level.
Great Job for benefits and good pay
Food Service Worker Senior (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90024March 12, 2017
It is a great place to work and learn, many opportunities and great henefits. It is a place to develope your skills, having opportunities to get free training and more chanses for a better position at work.
Pros
Free meals, trainings.
Cons
Variation of schedules constantly.
Awesome Company
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CaMarch 10, 2017
A typical day in my former employer was very busy in the morning which tapered down in the mid afternoon. I really enjoyed working in my dept, the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with multiple departments within the UC health system and outside referring medical offices. The hardest part of the job was trying to explain to patient their health insurance not be accepted by UCLA Health System.
Pros
I was only 5-10 mins away from home.
Cons
Difficult Parking
Good
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 8, 2017
Highly political and challenging economic environment for higher education. Much less securty than in the past and less confidence in future stability.
Pros
Stimulating environment with wide range of resourcves
Cons
Politcal and financial uncertainty
Productive and fun place to work, prestiges, trust worthy
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAMarch 4, 2017
Very nice place to work at, so many departments you can actually promote yourself from with in, so many things you learn as an administrative assistant II, respectful environment, high quality customer service.
Good
Thermal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 3, 2017
Being a GSR in UCLA MAE department is not easy unless you have enough funding. However, the experience you've earned is worth it. The professors are all so nice.
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 2, 2017
Great work environment but compensation can be better in my opinion. I work with great coworkers and enjoy the work I do. Salary and benefits should be better considering how expensive LA is.
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 1, 2017
I worked in the student affairs department and it was wonderful. You can really make an impact on these students. Management is very understanding and fair. During special events, some days can be long but it's all very enjoyable. The hardest part of the job, navigating through the bureaucracy. The most enjoyable part of the job is the students.
Great place to work, fun coworkers.
Grounds Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2017
I always report to work early. I believe punctuality is important. A typical day involves a morning meeting where issues of the day are addressed. Then it's off to work. Everyday is a learning experience, from shadowing Mechanics, to learning computer software. It's a learning environment. Management does a good job of putting us in situations where we can succeed. The workplace culture is great. Everybody gets along, and everyone has fun. The hardest part of the job, and I guess it's a blessing and a curse, is room for promotion. Everyone stays a long time in their position. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships you build there. Most of us hang out off the job, knows each other's families, that's something that I trully appreciate.
Pros
Professional development, workplace culture
Cons
Promotions are limited
Favorite job
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 21, 2017
The perks of working for UCLA are phenomenal, I was very sad to go. I love UCLA. Their dedication to patient customer service and patient experience is outstanding. Working at UCLA I came across all kinds of amazing people.
UCLA is all about the benefits and that is what keeps people here
Hospital Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 15, 2017
I currently work at the UCLA SOD and while I love what I do. I have built some really good relationships here. It is nice to see the students graduate and share their success stories!
benefits
Cons
no advancement
World-leading research institution
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 4, 2017
UCLA offers fun, insightful, world-class education in every field. Undergraduates and graduates alike can find research opportunities and develop lifelong skills to better themselves and the world.
Stay away
Facilities Technician (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJanuary 30, 2017
Top heavy management structure where the entrenched guys are permanent full time and the people doing the work are contract. Be prepared to have projects added almost daily with no help, no resources, and the arrogance of management who really don't care because they're safe. There is a reason turn over is high here. Add to that, a time-clock culture that is about 20 years behind the times. The average PM here is running around 20 jobs concurrently.
Pros
Ucla
Cons
Management, culture, work load.
Must be self sufficient
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 27, 2017
I learned how to effectively teach undergraduate although there wasn't very much training given before the start of the quarter.
fun job
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  California Los AngelesJanuary 24, 2017
I had fun at this job I got to work at my own pace an it was just fun being there in a college basketball enviroment. It aw definitely a experience I want forget.
Pros
free games
Cons
lots of walking
multicultural space with friendly people
Account Manager/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 24, 2017
They lack efficient training skills. Some of the managers just paired us with people who didn't even do the same job we were hired for.
A wonderful place
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2017
It's one of the best university in the world.
Some labs are great but they also have some not so great labs in the campus.
I stayed there for five years, it was nice in general
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 12, 2017
There is minimal training and support. You must come in there knowing exactly what you need to know.
It is better to have attended school there and then start working there-that may give you a head start.
Pros
great restaurant choices within the school
Cons
extreme pressure, not much support/guidance
Clinical Trials Finance
Lead Clinical Trial Sr. Fund Mgr (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2017
I've been here for almost 16 years, I believe in the overall mission and work for a company who exemplifies fair practices

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3