University of California Los Angeles Employee Reviews in United States

great company and school
Clinical EMT instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 24, 2016
Terrific company and great school to study at. Work is fun and exciting and students are wonderful.

Taught EMT skills, CPR, ACLS and did testing for EMT and EMT skills portion on the paramedic skills NREMT
Excellent learning environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2016
It was a great experience working at UCLA. It is a wonderful prestigious university and a world renowned institution of higher education. I was provided with lots of support
Good benefits, but horrible management!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  AndersonFebruary 15, 2013
Great benefits offered. Recent graduates can benefit from the skills learned, but after a year you'll be stuck in a position without the possibility for professional growth or merit increases. Culture is guided by dictatorial management as evidenced by department executive directors who expect employees to remain satisfied with mediocrity rather than encourage individual ambition for advancement. HR departments in differing divisions (especially at Anderson) are unhelpful in resolving issues because of their close relationships with supervisors. Best advice is to assume a position here and then move on elsewhere where skills can be built upon to develop a worth whole career with like minded professionals.
benefits
Cons
dictatorial directors, lack of growth, and stagnant wages.
Great workplace, with many opportunities.
Adult Trauma & Outpatient OB/GYN Clinic (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2016
A great place to work, with lots of opportunities for growth. UCLA is an environment where constant learning is encouraged, and where interdisciplinary work is a key focus.
Cons
Parking
productive working environment
graduate student researcher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 12, 2016
people working hard and together for innovative products and science. good reputation, good engineering school. beautiful place to study and have fun
the job is perfect however management primarily with smbp is HORRIBLE
Medical Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Pacific Palisades, CAMay 21, 2015
The job and benefits are excellent, however the management with SMBP is horrible they are extremely unethical
( Lorena Douille ) extremely unprofessional and unethical
Productive workplace with diverse people and very good collaborative atmosphere
Project Scientist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2016
Productive workplace with diverse people and very good collaborative atmosphere. Very interactive lab people. High opportunity for learning.
Lack of employee growth in UCLA Anderson Outreach Program
Coordinator-Riordan Programs (Former Employee) –  WestwoodMarch 8, 2013
Lack of growth with stagnant wages. Executive director(s) often disrespected employee. While some divisions at UCLA offer great opportunities for advancement, most divisions (especially the Riordan Programs at UCLA Anderson) expect employees to remain in stagnant positions where they are not to present differing methods of undertaking assigned work because of a demeaning attitudes. Example is having had pregnant staff move tables while directors and associate directors watched on without providing any assistance. Troubling how senior management often is unaware of university policies. If you are a recent grad then UCLA may offer great job skills, but if you are passed entry level work and have ambition to advance then the current atmosphere may not be for you.
benefits
Cons
manager/executive directors
Great Campus
CFESA Certified Electrical technician (Former Employee) –  Irwindale, CAFebruary 16, 2016
Took an Electrical Certification Class- Extension Was informational and critical to the area of management I was working in,
Manager is not considerate
Administrative Assistant 1 (Former Employee) –  Northridge CANovember 18, 2014
The probation last 6 months and there is no warning, the manager will just terminate you 5 months before your probation ended. she will do evaluation after 3 months and she will let you sign the form that has been evaluated and not knowing she will put bad comments and submit to HR not knowing what else she put in there because she will not give you a copy of it. And will just terminate without a valid reason for termination. no memo, no warning, and no second chance and manager is says if you have a bad accent that's a big deal to her, as if she does not have one, English also her 2nd language but she is discriminating employee with big accent. and has favoritism. she's only a practice manager and without even any credential or degree. she should be the one to be terminated. she's not suited to be called the Manager of UCLA which is a prestigious organization.
Pros
nice workplace, good benefits
Cons
probation should be 3 months and manager should be more considerate to new employee.
Good place to study
Student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CaJuly 12, 2016
I graduated from UCLA in June 2016. Really friendly and academic environment with lots of opportunities for students.
Don't plan on advancement
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 30, 2014
If you do not know the right people or get hired in the position you wish to keep the rest of your life, good luck on advancement or pay increases. If you want a promotion or a pay increase you have to get hired in a different department because they almost never promote from within the departments. They find ways of taking more money out of your check every year or two whether it is increasing the parking fees (yes, employees have to pay to park there) or more for your medical insurance or retirement so any meager raise does not offset what they take away.There are some great people there and the campus is amazing. There are 10,000 employees there so your experience will depend on which department/manager you have. Go Bruins!
UCLA has great benefits and perks
Resident Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 31, 2015
Overall UCLA is a great place to work!
Co-Workers are amazing, friendly and relatable
Benefits are excellent
Hardest part of job is work-life balance with salary income
Most enjoyable part of job is working with amazing students and colleagues
Pros
fun, exciting atmosphere. college population keeps you current on job
Cons
work-life balance can be improved significantly, as well as salary
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 4, 2016
The area is upbeat and always on the move. The staff is amazing and always willing to work extra to ensure a successful event happens.
Enthusiastic and Driven Establishment of Employment
Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 4, 2015
A typical day at work includes answering the main telephone line, directing personell to their proper destination within the office, answering emails related to occupational health training, and data entry of completed trainings and accounts payable. The most important things I have learned are appropriate office etiquette, prioritizing job tasks, and most importantly, what makes a positive work environment. Working as the front receptionist, I consider myself to work for all 65 employees in the office, even though my working title is within the admin department. Every single employee there, including my direct supervisors, have been extremely helpful and encouraging in my work. They are always willing to answer questions and guide me further with the tasks I have been given. They are all the exact definition of good management in my opinion.

The most enjoyable part of this job is coming to work everyday and being able to interact with the employees of the Office of Environment, Health, & Safety. I have never enjoyed working somewhere so much in my career. The hardest part of this job has nothing to do with the day-to-day tasks. They are all manageable. The hardest part will be leaving that office. It will be very difficult to leave a place of employment that I love going to everyday.

If anyone were ever looking for a job in the Los Angeles area, I will always direct them to this office first.
Pros
The intelligent people who work there.
Cons
The salary
Great institution to work for.
Support Chief of Emergency Room (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAApril 1, 2016
Great institution to work for. Some of the people there were not so nice.

Overall, the institution cares about their employees, and their patient's
Great Place
Honors Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  UCLAApril 25, 2016
UCLA is a great place to learn. I worked in several labs there and for the most part it's a great place to develop. I learned a lot.
Typical School
Internship (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 28, 2016
Great program, excellent management, superb co-workers, great benefits package and lots of growth opportunities within UCLA.
Creative and research oriented
Research Assistant, Data Analytics (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2016
While participating in research as part of my graduate studies, I had the chance to learn new skills while using my professional background.
Poor management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical CenterMarch 5, 2014
The pay is great. The commute is horrible, from all directions connecting with the 405. Two hour commute for me. If you don't speak Spanish, it's impossible to obtain a job with public contact. Your coworkers may be bilingual, but little else. There are cliques, mostly grouped by race. That was a big surprise to me. When applying, you must be aggressive, you are likely to get forgotten. I received a phone call long after I had ruled out UCLA. Parking is very expensive. If you are hired full time you pay about $75.00 a month to park. If you are in the lowly "float pool," you are paying about $12.00 daily. As with any large institution, Managers tend to get into a position and sit, whether qualified or not. In my time there, I found one qualified Manager, who actually was overqualified, but lazy.

On the plus side, there are loads of fun places to eat and wandering the campus is an adventure.
Pros
very decent compensation
Cons
traffic, parking and poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3