University of California Merced Employee Reviews

Productive and fun environment
Chapter Director (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 29, 2016
This is a great place where you can make a significant impact in a child's life. You can work your own schedule, which is great if you have another job or you are a university student.
Excellent work environment!
Community Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAAugust 16, 2016
I was always treated with respect by my co-workers and had an excellent supervisor and officers working along side me. I highly recommend this position for students looking for a job that will fit well with their schedule.
Caring and professional supervisors
Civic Leadership Intern (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJune 1, 2016
Some positions are fairly new within this young office however the professional staff is welcoming and attentive to their student staff needs.
Pros
great work environment
Public University
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAMay 21, 2016
Working as an RA has provide myself with a vast amount of experience in data coding and data analysis as well as how graduate school may be down the line.
Excellent place to promote abilities as researcher
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAMay 12, 2016
Excellent place to develop research projects in the field of behavioural economics, the field of public health, and issues related with disparities,patients safety and equity in health.
Engineering Service Learning was fantastic
Marketing Assistant, Engineering Service Learning (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAApril 28, 2016
UC Merced was fantastic and I love the people I got to work with.
My direct supervisor was supportive and a great mentor. I learned a lot from facilities, purchasing and different individuals from all over the place.
Great Education System
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAFebruary 1, 2016
I earned both my bachelor's and masters of science here. I also had the privilege of serving as a teaching assistant for my graduate years.
Productive and fun company to work for
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CANovember 18, 2015
I enjoyed my job and I enjoyed my co-workers. Everyone was positive and eager to help if I needed it. I was able to grow within my scope of work and I am now able to continue that growth and further my career.
A convenientt store for students.
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAApril 29, 2015
We provide excellent customer service to those who come in to the store. We have strong knowledge about our store and the items we carry so that we are prepared to answer any customer's questions to make their experience more at ease. The store provides a relax vibe but also goes through a periodic rush hour from time to time. Most of the co-workers have a great relationship with the manager and the boss. The boss and manager provides constructive feedback so that we can become the "best of ourselves". Overall, my experience here was great and have learned a lot as a supervisor to make me a great asset for my next job.
Ecological work, very physically/emotionally demanding, awesome location
Field Crew Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 7, 2015
I was the field crew supervisor for an ecological experiment in the high-alpine environment. This being the case I worked in an amazing location that required me and my team to hike 4-8 miles per day to perform the research. The research itself was satisfying for someone who enjoys research related data recording, surveying, and sampling. My team that was selected were very energetic, outgoing, happy, and personable.

My issues were with the workload and management. The original project called for just one researcher since they had eliminated 90% of the work from previous years. They had forgotten about some aspects of the project and reinstated the old protocol, while only hiring a few temporary technicians when the workload called for several more. So, we got as much done as we could, sometimes working 70+ hour weeks, but it was way too much work.
Pros
Location, awesome technicians, research tasks themselves
Cons
Poor project management, grossly excessive hours
Nice place to work
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Merced, CADecember 22, 2014
UC Merced is out in the middle of nowhere, but it is nice. Lots of cows, good faculty and amazing staff for the most part.
UC Merced
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merced, CADecember 1, 2014
Great place to work. Growing university, a place for advancement. UC Merced is a research based university located in the central valley. Most of the undergraduates are first generation college students looking to advance themselves.
Educational Experience
Undergraduate Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Merced, CASeptember 8, 2014
A typical day at the University of California, Merced for a undergraduate bioengineer student was enticing. I would regularly develop attended my professors lab room to lend a hand in his research. My professor is involved in combining various imaging modalities to increase the resolution of the images. Members from his lab were each focused on a specific task of the research project from algorithm development to hardware programming. Learning from different lab members, allowed me to grasp a detailed understanding behind noninvasive imaging.
Newest of the University of California campuses!
Administrative Manager II - supervisor (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAJune 24, 2014
The newest campus in the University of California. Located in the beautiful Central Valley of California. With 6,000 students and growing, this is an excellent campus choice for someone who wants to attend the UC but is concerned about the large campus populations. The campus and town of Merced or close to everything: Snow skiing, hiking, Yosemite, San Francisco, Sacramento, and lots happening in the area!
Sports Photographer (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAMay 28, 2014
I volunteered my spare time to photograph the extracurricular activities on campus and my day included photographing sports. The hardest part of the job was getting the perfect photo and the most enjoyable part was hearing the athletes reactions to my photos of them.
Pros
rewarding
21st century research institution
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merced, CaliforniaMay 18, 2014
-State of the art research facilities
-Research institution focused on generating peer reviewed publications
-Opportunities to teach while earning an advanced degree
Pros
Academic environment
Cons
Gruelling work schedule for low pay
Cleaning and have a customer service.
Senior Custodian (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 4, 2014
I assign to clean and sanitizing areas, storage of equipment,knowledge of cleaning solutions and staff Performing other duties as assigned. I learn to be a team player and get along with others.
Great experience, some issues with growth
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 22, 2013
Teaching a college level course is definitely rewarding. UC Merced is a great and friendly campus. However, graduate students are given priority and many teaching assistants remain only temporarily. The University provides great opportunities but may bay experiencing some issues with growth.
Alot of hard work and time spend in a lab environment
Materials Capstone Design (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 16, 2013
Typically I would research and synthesize silica
I learned about working in a lab such as safety, troubleshooting experiments, research techniques, different equipment, and just building knowledge talking to other coworkers about their experiments
The management in taught me how to present myself and work in a more professional setting
The hardest part of the job was that I was doing something I was not passionate about
The most enjoyable part of the job was to be constantly working and gaining knowledge
funplace to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAAugust 26, 2013
I learned how to shampoo carpets, strip and wax floor. Our day was very busy form start to finish. We were assigned to an area and we had to clean from dusting, vacuum, pick up garbage to detail areas where need it.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Very physical work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Merced. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6