University of California Santa Cruz Employee Reviews in United States

Exciting and instructive
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 20, 2015
It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to provide knowledge to my peers, especially because it was a subject I love (economics). I learned how to effectively communicate material to others who do not know the material that well, and I was afforded the freedom to design and implement the lesson plan as I saw fit. Although I found it difficult at time, the job forced me to think cleverly about how to distill complex principles into more simple, elementary terms.
Pros
Sense of importance, Sense of freedom, Sense of control
Cons
Poor compensation, some frustrations
It's fun to work with the professor
Tutor in an Software Engineering Course (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 13, 2016
It is pretty fun to work with the professor. I gained a lot by reviewing other student's homework and had a weekly meeting with the professor.
Fun
Gardening Internship (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CADecember 31, 2015
one of the best places to work at. fun environment and coworkers are the ones who make this place great. the many things i learned here have helped me out in future employment.
Pros
free lunch, coworkers
Cons
Teach, review and correct Spanish grammar
Spanish Tutor, Oakes Learning Center (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAOctober 5, 2015
A great opportunity to work on you degree while you study . Flexible hours and good pay for a part time employment. Very rewarding and satisfying job while you learn at the same time.
Pros
Flexible times and good pay
Executive Administrative Assistant, UC Santa Cruz (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CANovember 12, 2015
Beautiful place to work, students are passionate about what they do and are always willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.
Good Career
PRINCIPAL DATA TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 9, 2015
I had 14 year career at ucsc. It is a good place to work. I was a lead technician. Our team upgraded existing end of life networks and created cutting edge communications for over 3000 sites around the campus.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Personalities
Great place to work, exciting projects, good compensation and benefits.
Associate Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 13, 2015
Enjoyed my employment at UCSC, but found it too far from my home in Vallejo to commute, and gasoline went to $5.00/gallon. Also found the surrounding area extremely expensive to relocate to. Great co-workers, very appreciative of my years of experience in so many areas of the electrical industry.
Pros
This University is a the forefront of new technology, research, development.
Cons
Too expensive of an area to move to.
Great
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 13, 2015
A great college job that taught me how to manage my time and work hard. The environment was very friendly and worked with the students schedules.
Peter Principle in Action
Community Safety Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 1, 2015
Senior Management is great, but upper management consists mostly of over-promoted people with the cronies they promoted. This layer of management is unneeded. The exceptions are the openly-recruited AVCs/Directors from a diverse hiring committee. Unfortunately, most hiring committees are filled with like-minded people looking to promote their friends.
The people hired in this manner often lack the skills needed to perform their jobs well and as a result make arbitrary rules, often hamper lines of communication, micro-manage where there is no need, and cannot properly assess the needs of the department.
This is not true of all departments, but not all former RAs make good business managers and people with degrees in Residence Life maybe lack the experience and perspective of those who have worked in corporate America regarding goals and deliverables.
There are also many cliques on campus within the professional staff that are not healthy.
UCSC could be a great place to work if they required all management not hired through an open recruitment to go through a fair hiring process with an independent hiring committee.
Pros
Great environment, generally great people, beautiful campus.
Cons
Some iffy directors and AVCs, lower than market pay for an expensive place to live.
N/a
Avid Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 30, 2015
This job allows one to assist youth to better themselves. In this capacity youth are able to grow and lead productive lives
Organized and productive
Program/Lead Intern (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 2, 2015
Constantly working and rarely takes breaks, only when necessary. Gets things done on time and works efficiently. Coordinated events with managing a large budget and overseeing large scale events.
Beautiful, modern campus in the redwoods. Great place to teach!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 29, 2015
The school itself and the department I worked in were wonderful. The faculty and staff were supportive and encouraged creative classroom approaches while providing great mentorship.
Pros
great, interesting classes with reasonable sections
Cons
Organized and well funded.
Lead Hardware Engineer and Systems Programmer (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 26, 2014
In a typical day I met with team members to discuss the days tasks, where we in the project phase and where we needed to be. I learned to develop software that was capable of interfacing with sensory hardware, web servers, database, and user interface. Through this job I learned how to manage a team with varying skill sets. The hardest part of this job was developing the algorithms that provided the sensory reading at the maximum speed possible with the hardware we had. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the final product work better than expected.
Work Study - great way to take some of the edge off cost of going to UCSC
Software Developer Multimedia Educational (Former Employee) –  On Santa Cruz CampusFebruary 11, 2012
I was a work study financial aid program while I was attending school there.

I developed a Spanish Text Book software program proof of concept to be used in studies and marketing and as a supplement in language classes.

Pro: Got a pay check so got to budget the $ as I saw fit.
Con: Was limited by my financial aid amount how much I could work, also it is a form of financial aid where you have to really work to get the money NOT A GRANT
relaxing place to work in, not too busy, only busy during busy quarters
Mailroom Assistant Scheduling Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 23, 2014
• Scheduled a work schedule for the staff
• Scheduled all staff meetings
• Attended biweekly meetings with the supervisor
• Logged in packages into the database on FileMaker Pro
• Sorted out package slips and letters into mailboxes
• Handed out packages to students living in the dorms
• Returned unclaimed and unknown packages/mail to the sender
Productive, Engaging and Educational
Propagation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 11, 2013
Working as a Propagation Coordinator in a student
run community based organization was very enriching. I regularly taught both students and nonstudents hands on community based knowledge about sustainable gardening while in the garden as well as in seminars. I daily attended to the campus Greenhouse, by watering the plants, propagating seeds for the garden, maintenence of the greenshouse and documenting the progress of the plant growth. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was inspiring and motivating others about the significance if gardening through the education of plant growth and development. I have gained experience in project and event coordination, horticulture production, executed computer program tasks that include Microsoft Office and Excel, and strengthened my grant writing, leadership and communications skills. Working with coworkers was never a challenge, everyone was incrediably supportive and constructive. We organized and attended weekly meetings to discuss updates, to coordinate events, to write grants and ensure the overall leadership team was running smoothly and constructively. The hardest part of the job was that it was a full time 7 day a week position.
Pros
was a constant learning experience
Cons
worked every weekend
A great place to learn professional skills and interpersonal development.
Resident Assistant/Village Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 15, 2013
A great place to develop skills and work in an environment where education is appreciated as equally as hard work. I have met some amazing professionals at the University of California Santa Cruz.
Good jobs for students
Senior Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 31, 2013
I worked in several departments on campus as a student and had great experiences in each. If you are a student and need a job I highly suggest working on campus, they are flexible with your schedule and its easy to go from work to class.
Maintained a safe and supportive environment
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 8, 2013
Created and maintained a safe environment and supportive system for first year students. Organized a variety of social, academic, and cultural activities. Mentored and addressed all safety and security concerns.
Interesting and inspiring place to work
International Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 28, 2013
I worked in the International Living Center which is the living community aimed at international students. Working among such a diverse group of people made everyday a great learning experience.

4.4