University of California Santa Cruz Employee Reviews

average work culture
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 16, 2017
average work culture, not high work ethics and relatively low wage as per qualification. Too laid back and lack of overall academic orientated environment.
Consulting company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 25, 2016
While I liked the work, the fact that I did not meet my direct report until 6 months in to the work, was a little disconcerting. There was little to no training. The company has since been sold or changed ownership a few times.
Work_ Hike
Research fellow (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 16, 2016
Working in the office$ lab, Lunch sometime in the yard of my department, Short hiking some time after lunch, working in the office$ lab afternoon.
Great place for Research and Academia
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 6, 2016
UC Santa Cruz is well known for its research and has a great faculty who encourage students to involve in research and graduate school. Opportunities for funding and plenty of grants are available for the students.
It's fun to work with the professor
Tutor in an Software Engineering Course (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 13, 2016
It is pretty fun to work with the professor. I gained a lot by reviewing other student's homework and had a weekly meeting with the professor.
Fun
Gardening Internship (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CADecember 31, 2015
one of the best places to work at. fun environment and coworkers are the ones who make this place great. the many things i learned here have helped me out in future employment.
Pros
free lunch, coworkers
Cons
Executive Administrative Assistant, UC Santa Cruz (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CANovember 12, 2015
Beautiful place to work, students are passionate about what they do and are always willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.
Teach, review and correct Spanish grammar
Spanish Tutor, Oakes Learning Center (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAOctober 5, 2015
A great opportunity to work on you degree while you study . Flexible hours and good pay for a part time employment. Very rewarding and satisfying job while you learn at the same time.
Pros
Flexible times and good pay
Exciting and instructive
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 20, 2015
It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to provide knowledge to my peers, especially because it was a subject I love (economics). I learned how to effectively communicate material to others who do not know the material that well, and I was afforded the freedom to design and implement the lesson plan as I saw fit. Although I found it difficult at time, the job forced me to think cleverly about how to distill complex principles into more simple, elementary terms.
Pros
Sense of importance, Sense of freedom, Sense of control
Cons
Poor compensation, some frustrations
Good Career
PRINCIPAL DATA TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 9, 2015
I had 14 year career at ucsc. It is a good place to work. I was a lead technician. Our team upgraded existing end of life networks and created cutting edge communications for over 3000 sites around the campus.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Personalities
N/a
Avid Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 30, 2015
This job allows one to assist youth to better themselves. In this capacity youth are able to grow and lead productive lives
Great
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 13, 2015
A great college job that taught me how to manage my time and work hard. The environment was very friendly and worked with the students schedules.
Great place to work, exciting projects, good compensation and benefits.
Associate Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 13, 2015
Enjoyed my employment at UCSC, but found it too far from my home in Vallejo to commute, and gasoline went to $5.00/gallon. Also found the surrounding area extremely expensive to relocate to. Great co-workers, very appreciative of my years of experience in so many areas of the electrical industry.
Pros
This University is a the forefront of new technology, research, development.
Cons
Too expensive of an area to move to.
Organized and productive
Program/Lead Intern (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 2, 2015
Constantly working and rarely takes breaks, only when necessary. Gets things done on time and works efficiently. Coordinated events with managing a large budget and overseeing large scale events.
Peter Principle in Action
Community Safety Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 1, 2015
Senior Management is great, but upper management consists mostly of over-promoted people with the cronies they promoted. This layer of management is unneeded. The exceptions are the openly-recruited AVCs/Directors from a diverse hiring committee. Unfortunately, most hiring committees are filled with like-minded people looking to promote their friends.
The people hired in this manner often lack the skills needed to perform their jobs well and as a result make arbitrary rules, often hamper lines of communication, micro-manage where there is no need, and cannot properly assess the needs of the department.
This is not true of all departments, but not all former RAs make good business managers and people with degrees in Residence Life maybe lack the experience and perspective of those who have worked in corporate America regarding goals and deliverables.
There are also many cliques on campus within the professional staff that are not healthy.
UCSC could be a great place to work if they required all management not hired through an open recruitment to go through a fair hiring process with an independent hiring committee.
Pros
Great environment, generally great people, beautiful campus.
Cons
Some iffy directors and AVCs, lower than market pay for an expensive place to live.
Beautiful, modern campus in the redwoods. Great place to teach!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 29, 2015
The school itself and the department I worked in were wonderful. The faculty and staff were supportive and encouraged creative classroom approaches while providing great mentorship.
Pros
great, interesting classes with reasonable sections
Cons
Organized and well funded.
Lead Hardware Engineer and Systems Programmer (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 26, 2014
In a typical day I met with team members to discuss the days tasks, where we in the project phase and where we needed to be. I learned to develop software that was capable of interfacing with sensory hardware, web servers, database, and user interface. Through this job I learned how to manage a team with varying skill sets. The hardest part of this job was developing the algorithms that provided the sensory reading at the maximum speed possible with the hardware we had. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the final product work better than expected.
relaxing place to work in, not too busy, only busy during busy quarters
Mailroom Assistant Scheduling Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 23, 2014
• Scheduled a work schedule for the staff
• Scheduled all staff meetings
• Attended biweekly meetings with the supervisor
• Logged in packages into the database on FileMaker Pro
• Sorted out package slips and letters into mailboxes
• Handed out packages to students living in the dorms
• Returned unclaimed and unknown packages/mail to the sender
Good jobs for students
Senior Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 31, 2013
I worked in several departments on campus as a student and had great experiences in each. If you are a student and need a job I highly suggest working on campus, they are flexible with your schedule and its easy to go from work to class.
Interesting and inspiring place to work
International Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 28, 2013
I worked in the International Living Center which is the living community aimed at international students. Working among such a diverse group of people made everyday a great learning experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Santa Cruz. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2