University of Central Florida Employee Reviews

State Jobs are not for everyone.
Senior Broadcast Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 14, 2018
Good place to work if you just want your hours and to go home after work. Some people can spend thirty years sitting in the same place and some can not. Boredom is what ruined this job for me. Other than that, the people are great and the campus is beautiful.
Pros
Paid on time and 40 hours.
Cons
It is just a job and nothing more.
University as a whole is fantastic
Associate Director Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 4, 2018
The only problems at UCF was the immediate supervisor (who was brilliant, but still incompetent in being able to apply theory to practice) and salary. So many people want to live in Florida, they do not pay competitive salaries. This is even more complicated with the huge number of retirees who do not care to support education as their grandchildren still live up north. UCF has a fantastic president, the University is excellent academically. Beautiful campus. professional employees.
Pros
Location, excellent University
Cons
Compensation
Slow and unrewarding
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 1, 2018
Limited opportunities to advance and very low pay with tax. You would typically end up working during slow hours and have your hours cut a lot, usually without warning. Manager was detail oriented but would never convey the details.
Career Starter
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 28, 2017
This is a unique area to implement law enforcement. Campus law enforcement officers deal with a unique variety of individuals, both young and old. It gives the officer the unique experience of learning to deal with different people and their life experiences.
Great job for beginning college student.
Guest Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32826December 21, 2017
If you are a college student with no bills and want some extra cash then this is the job for you! Flexible hours, and relaxed shifts. I could always get my homework done on shift.
Teacher's Assistant for Dr.Vehec (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 20, 2017
I was only an intern, but UCF is a great place to work. It consists of highly proactive passionate professors, and has benefits. Definitely somewhere where I would work.
Great Place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 20, 2017
Great place to work and study. It has all the best options for education and life. It is close to city center and most amazing attractions. Weather is nice.
Students used for cheap labor
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 19, 2017
Academia is a different beast, you have to spit out papers as much as you can. It's a cutthroat culture because you'll lose funding if you don't find the "right" answer. Workplace culture depends on the research professor you are working under. Some are great and pay fairly, others are not.
Pros
Tuition paid for
Cons
Doing professional work for student pay
All right
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 13, 2017
Was a graduate student there. Didn't really like how the program was managed or how they treated particular students versus others. They paid well for how little work you were required to do, but they expected unreasonable things from students as far as work, course load, qualifying and candidacy exams, research, etc. all together. Overall, I'd recommend you not go here for grad school.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Incompetent administration
Very exciting place to work
Associate Instructor and Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 7, 2017
UCF is all about growth. No two years are the same. There is always an new opportunity and endless ideas. If you want to start a new program, you can do it.
Good place to be
Senior Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Nona, FLDecember 4, 2017
I enjoyed everyday that I spent at UCF. Great culture and excellent opportunity for advancement. If you work hard, you are rewarded. Only left due to travel distance from my home to the satellites campus’s where I was transferred after accepting a promotion
Pros
Great People. Advancement Opportunity
Cons
Very big place. Always growing and changing
Lots of job security, not much pay
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 30, 2017
If you are looking for job security and a slow work pace, this is the place for you. If you have a progressive attitude, the pace of change is particularly slow. Overall, not a bad place to work. Enjoy my coworkers and immediate management. Upper leadership could be better.
Great intro into the real world
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 27, 2017
This was my first semi-professional job working on computer vision research. I was able to go out in the field and gather data along with working on algorithms at the office. Overall, a great first professional job.
Great Place to Begin Your Career
Coordinator II, Academic Support Services (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 20, 2017
Working at UCF was great, especially the benefits that are offered to employees. The University has great pride and wants to see their employees succeed (i.e. offering 2 free courses per semester, wellness fairs, etc). The PTO benefits were amazing and the health insurance couldn't be beat.

The only negative I would say is that the college that I worked for, there was a lot of hand holding and coddling of the students. It is very hard to be promoted and/or advance.
Pros
Great PTO, Great Environment
Cons
Felt like babysitting adults, inconsistent policies
Temp job setting up the Education Building's network of computers and file server
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 17, 2017
This job entailed purchasing hardware and software (with approval) and installing numerous work stations, a network and a file server. Overall it was a great part time job right on campus to make some money as a student at UCF.
Pros
Working with computers / hours flexable
Cons
Low pay
Very unproductive environment
Locksmith and Access Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 14, 2017
Bringing friends and buddies from a previous job such as Universal Studios causes an unproductive environment. Over paid and inexperienced management reduces production and moral. In 1year I had 4 different managers. Non of them knew anything about what my job entailed nor how to manage employees. I don't think my last manager had any education beyond high school and it showed.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Low wages and cut throat attitiude
Productive workplace
Structural Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 9, 2017
Comfortable place to work. Nice environment with nice people. Respectful managers. A lot of experimental tests in the laboratory that teach you a lot about engineering applications.
Good Place as a student
Student Director of Pegasus Palooza (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 8, 2017
I loved working here as a student. I learned a lot about myself and my work ethic. The culture was nice and very family like. The best part of the job was the constant support. The worst part of the job was it was only 9-5, there were no weekends or hours after 5pm.
Hardest part of the job
Success Coach (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 7, 2017
Constant changes within management trickles down to staff. Never consistent. Management does not look for the best interest of their staff. Always seek ways to look for the bad in an employee instead of the positives and/or what an employee does well.
Pros
Assisting students
Cons
Leadership
UCF is great!
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 2, 2017
As a supplemental instruction leader, I have become so much better as a student. UCF has created and environment where everyone works together to learn and grow. I love it here and I wouldn't trade working here for the world.