University of Colorado Boulder Employee Reviews in United States

Nice people
Good professors
Job security is high
Good salary
Very positive work environment with great community feel
Career Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 29, 2016
A typical day at work would involve many warm greetings from fellow staff. Working with clients to develop career goals and plans to reach those goals.
We had weekly trainings on a variety of career counseling techniques and would be given one on one observation of video recorded sessions of me me practicing the new techniques.

The management was there to help you grow and take on different initiatives you desired.

Co workers developed strong professional relationships and were always availabel to give support to interns.

The hardest part about the job was learning how to work with situations I was unfamiliar with. This was also the most rewarding part of the job as it was in these challenging times I could use the wide variety of resources available to learn and grow as a professional counselor. In these same experiences I would often help the client meet the goals they were struggling to attain.
Pros
great staff, great office environemnt
Good benifits, work enviorment depedent on your position
Sie Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 21, 2016
I enjoyed my Job. That is not true for all of my coworkers. Post-docs work long hours, but have a lot of help. The hardest part is tempering expectation. The most enjoyable part is the progress made in science.
Fun Place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 25, 2016
Nice place to work and have fun. Great to work as an Teaching assistant. Good work life balance. Definitely a place to be.
strict but good work place
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CO 80309August 2, 2016
was a great place to get custodial experience. I'm glad they gave me a chance to work there. If I wasn't forced to move I would have been there for much longer
Pros
lunch break. unpaid
Cons
hours, managment
Great Job
Resident Advisor / Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 18, 2016
I was a Resident Advisor and Community assistant for CU boulder in Libby hall, all around great job. I would have liked more hours, but demand was high.
Pros
Room and Board
Dynamic institution with opportunities
Admission Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 10, 2016
I enjoy my time with colleagues, as everyone does really seem to be student-centered and not just in it for a paycheck. We have a lot of creative freedom in my department. There just isn't much room for upward mobility, and communicating with campus partners can sometimes be a pain.
For a prominent university, job culture disappointing
Personnel and Payroll Liaison (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 17, 2015
State classified are treated poorly--no schedule flexibility, management is downtrodden on classified, no accountability
Work as a University staff, Researcher or Professor, that's where the greater pay and flexibility lies. Professors are not accountable for managing their people.
Culture may be different in another department or outside the research area.
Pros
Online training, retirement plan
Cons
Inflexible, disparate treatment of employees, stifling office culture
cob
janitor 1 (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 7, 2016
City of Boulder is a great place to work. winters are mild and summers hot. I live in boulder county. Thank you. The people are wonderful.
Great work life balance
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  JSCBBOctober 20, 2015
Fun and safe place to work and start a new and exciting career. I work with great and amazingly talented people and I love going to work everyday because of them.
Pros
mountains
Cons
climbing up the mountains
Fluid Visualization
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 6, 2016
Research sparks a certain type of interest that is not achieved by many other things. The sense of discovery is something that everyone should experience.
Amazing Electrical engineering department
Project: The Turtle (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 6, 2016
Fun and interesting courses in the field of Embedded Systems.
New Embedded courses every semester.
Amazing Embedded Systems Certificate program
Room for improvement at CU
Personnel and Payroll Liaison (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 9, 2015
CU's focus is research, gaining funding, publishing and students. This focus and its large size causes gaps in communication, less capable managers, less personal accountability, inconsistent information, entrenched processes and inertia to new ideas. The above description may not fit all departments, as much depends upon the personality of each Chairperson. Classified positions are definitely treated as lowly "staff" with poorest level of leave accrual and schedule flexibility.
Pros
bus passes, retirement plan, onsite learning
Cons
schedule flexibility, culture of looking down on state classified employees
Brilliant people who care about education
Education Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 20, 2015
The caliber and quality of Education Researchers at CU Boulder is hard to find anywhere else in the world.
Even better, many of these researchers were also professors, in fact, Professors of the Year and even a few Nobel Laureates.
Achievment of Quadcopter Project
Companion Quadcopter projet (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 19, 2014
Working for such a project was very interesting in many ways, I learned the dynamics of Quad-copter flight and the control system plus the response to the user's data.The system software was very important in managing the quad-copter itself.Work management was fairly divided by the team members, me and other two member were focused on the software design , while other member were focused on hardware design. The most difficult part of our project was control and provide the user safety from the quadcopter.
Great capstone program through the ME department
CFO/Design Engineer for Senior Projects (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 8, 2014
The senior projects program through the Mechanical Engineering department at CU Boulder was very well organized and probably the best experience I had in my undergraduate career. The teams were very well planned out, as well as the real-world project that they paired you with. The first semester was all design work and the second was building the actual project. I learned a lot and had a wonderful experience.
Engaging and challenging place to work
German Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 3, 2015
Balancing a full load of graduate-level classes with teaching is no easy task, but the GSLL department at CU Boulder provides an environment conducive to both success in daily responsibilities and long-term growth.
Great scholarly environment, challenging and exellent
Student (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 13, 2014
One of the advantages of being a chemistry major, and subsequently the many years spent meticulously in the laboratory and classroom, is my inherent familiarity with a plethora of procedures, skills, and safety protocols. I am familiar with all of the natural sciences – chemistry, physics; and last but not least, biology - and enjoy working in them immensely. I have no qualm for example in preparing a simple solution or mixture, employing autoclaving, and washing glassware and Pyrex in and outside of the lab. After Organic Chemistry, these procedures have been washed in my head – always wash the reactions vessels when the experiment is complete. These skills and disciplines carry on over into any other fields, and it is my belief that a good scholar prides himself in learning and then eventually mastering as many skills as he can.
Great skill building position
Facility Supervisor, CU Recreation Services (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 21, 2014
Able to develop several useful skills such as customer service, managing other employees, and time management.
Good Student Employment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 2, 2015
Shifts are very relaxed and more project oriented so you are free to work when you can as long as the projects make deadline. This means you can control your income a little more as well. My coworkers are helpful and the job is very straight forward. Annotation is tedious so it is nice to know other people are there chugging along with you.

4.5