University of Colorado Health

University of Colorado Health Employee Reviews

It is my desire to serve our community and this provided a way.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anschutz Medical Campus, AuroraMarch 3, 2015
It was my privilege to work with the brilliant surgeons, nurses and the surgical techs as we worked to improve and save lives. There was never a typical day at work. I usually started the day by checking to see if there were any added request for time (RFT) surgeries waiting to be scheduled; put together tomorrow’s schedule for the charge nurse to prepare the assignments; keeping the dry erase board, enumerating the current scheduled operations, up to date at least hourly if not more. While answering the multi-line phone and transferring it to the correct staff member, I also ordered supplies for the operating rooms and office supplies. It was also necessary to add the RFT surgeries when a room opened up and update monthly reports and databases. I learned new computer programs for payroll (ANSOS), scheduling the rooms (EPIC), reporting data bases, such as SNOW and VIRTUE. I worked well with management listening to their suggestions and implementing them with a positive attitude. My co-workers would say that I talked directly with them if there were questions or problems with a can do attitude to be able to work with them to establish a high level of esprit de corps. The hardest part of the job was rearranging the 19 operating rooms when we had multiple transplants and had to triage the other surgeries putting the most urgent cases first – upsetting doctor and nurses schedules. The most enjoyable part of the job was feeling the satisfaction of helping our patients’ lives to improve.
Pros
excellent healthcare, benefits, managers cared about their staff and listened to their suggestions
Cons
i had difficulty with the back to back 3 days 12 hour shifts.
Overall, Fair.
Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CODecember 4, 2014
Where I worked hours were great, we got out at 2:30pm. I worked in my department for over 6 years, but there weren't many opportunities for advancement. When there was, favorites were chosen ahead of time even though I was allowed to continue the selection process and interviews. Once you are a favorite, you can do no wrong: job duties, attendance policy was lax, or violations were ignored. Our training, especially in new computer programs was non-existent. People continue to struggle, but management doesnt seem to have time or care. We were always understaffed, and even though we were told we had room for a full timer to be hired, it was never done, so we worked harder with less people. Management in my area was terrible, and our culture surveys showed that. Punishment for job performance was "selective", meaning they only counseled people that weren't in their favorite clique. I felt that if I just put down my head and worked my tail off, that would be good enough, but I guess not. I felt pressured to "be on board", and was told my personality traits were more important than my job performance. I am convinced they wanted people to "kiss butt". Enough said. The job was physical at times, but certainly not hard. The most enjoyable part were the hours, which allowed better family time, and I made a couple of friends that remain to this day. Would I recommend this job to anyone? Keep looking.
Pros
hours, co-workers(some, not all), benefits
Cons
management: not flexible in many areas, favoritism. training is non existent in some areas.
A hospital with a good past, undergoing massive changes.
Clinical Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 5, 2014
A typical day includes caring for five to six patients with a variety of health problems, including ortho-knee hip and shoulder, gastrointestinal issues, respiratory ailments, and telemetry monitored patients.
I learned to implement post operative orthopedic cares according to comprehensive protocols established by the physicians and the hospital. I also brought my medical/surgical/cardiac skills back up to snuff following a three year stint as a psychiatric nurse.
To my good fortune I had the opportunity to work with an excellent unit manager, who demonstrated caring and was able to achieve high levels of nursing excellence because of the positive work culture she created; and because of her excellent planning and coordination. She left five months ago.
My coworkers are helpful and encouraging. Most of them work hard to provide safe and clinically excellent care. There is a great deal of collaboration and team work.
The hardest part of my job is finding supplies in a timely fashion. There are many supply locations over a large area.
I enjoy watching patients return to wellness. I also feel that I have accomplished something when I know that a patients course of care was optimized by proactive nursing interventions that anticipated needs and avoided or corrected complications promptly. I also have had the pleasure to precept nurses who are new to nursing or to the system.
Pros
great insurance package, lots of fine physicians.
Cons
work place struggling to cope with massive changes and financial short falls.
High level teaching hospital with inferior nursing management
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 8, 2014
Hospital has really adopted a "for profit" culture. This translates to stressed out, over-worked employees who are evaluated mostly on the "value" they bring to the institution. Unfortunately, the lack of man power to provide safe care coupled with the high acuity patients, breeds a lot of lateral violence among nurses. Nursing management is poor, with bed-side nurses being promoted to "big jobs" without any depth or experience. Bedside care is extremely challenging and hospital is rigid about keeping 12 hour shifts--which are really 13 hour shifts. Very few units offer 8 or 10 hour shifts. Breaks and lunch are "luxuries" and not always possible. Unreliable staffing with sick calls means nurses may be asked to do "twice as much". This is a magnet hospital, but it does not really promote shared governance. Management may solicit input from staff, but will retaliate and punish those who are brave enough to speak up about problems. Some co-workers are great, but many are cut-throat working in an often under-staffed, poorly managed, and competitive environment. Few opportunities for advancement and upper management is very controlling about who gets promoted. They even cherry-pick the nurses who are "allowed" to be on the interview committee for managers!
Pros
high level teaching hospital
Cons
no solution for staffing inadequacies, change in patient acuities, breaks and lunches.
Standard greedy corporation
Ward Clerk (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CONovember 11, 2014
I worked at UCH for 4 1/2 yrs begging for full time. I offered to split my positions from a Ward clerk to a CNA and they refused. I was offered 2, 12 hr days and only received the yearly cost of living raise (about .30 cents a yr).

Lazy, rude or plain awful co-workers were never disciplined even if a formal complaint was made. They expect all to "handle their own conflicts" which hardly ever works.

I only received a yearly review where issues were talked about (including not being full time) and nothing was done about it. I decided to quit when in the same day they announced the CEO receiving a million dollar bonus and they conducted a mandatory meeting to "discuss" employees not to offerpatients shampoo or toothpaste.

UCH, is a greedy corporation in the wrong business of helping the sick. They offer no advancement with out years of schooling, management is non-existent they would rather pass the buck then own up to their million dollar titles, rarely receive your breaks, they keep employees at part time, benefits are some what better than other places but still the lame deductible insurance and lastly, no raises only a yearly "cost of living" increase that is a why bother appreciation for all your hard work.
Pros
stability of work load
Cons
no advancement, poor pay, uncaring towards employees
Not as beautiful as it seems
Administration (Current Employee) –  Trauma ServicesJuly 29, 2013
When I first started my position at MCR I was ecstatic to be in a MAGNET hospital which had a great reputation in the community. This did not last long. The top leadership group here at MCR do not lead in a stellar and professional manner. Examples would be that they let their physicians interfere with nursing processes. This makes it impossible to hold anyone accountable. The units most effected would be Trauma Services. Our lead physician there is one of the best in his field when it comes to being a patient advocate, but he is very unprofessional and mean to us, the nursing staff, management and senior leadership. He tells each what they want to hear and if he doesn't like you for one reason or another, you had better watch out, the senior leadership will find any reason to rid themselves of you, like they did with our most recent manager. The administration allows him to run the show here. The unit I work on has been through 3 managers and 4 directors in 6 years. That does not include the trauma case managers they have gone through, which is 6 in the last two years. They need true and honest leadership to bring it back together. Our staff deserve that.
Pros
benefits, compensation, hard working nursing staff, beautful building and surroundings
Cons
top leadership. trauma services, physician interference with management decisions
Very inefficient management
Rad Tech (Former Employee) –  Loveland Urgent CareJuly 27, 2015
Very inefficient management at urgent care, pay is NOT competitive and if working any other place then the hospital, you do not get get weekend or evening differential!
Manager did not do the schedule, a nurse at another facility did and was unfair about giving time off. Was hired for .8, and auto take lunch out so at the end of pay period I was short on hours so they paid me back using my PTO...I could not accumulate PTO because they kept using it to cover my auto deduct for lunches (even when I was not allowed to leave the building). The nurses were the only ones to cancel deduct lunch at time clock. I was told by management I can eat 10 minutes here 10 minutes there and it will add up to a 30 minute break (in a 10 hour shift I am legally able to take a 30 NON interrupted lunch and 2 15 min breaks0, correct?. Was constantly declined days off (vacations,etc), but was granted time off when it was my original day off..Management has no clue on anything. Literally.
I could go on, but will leave it at that. Urgent care is run by CHMG- I saw the boss of my manager 1 time in a year working there...no clue about what goes on in the facility.
Pros
Great nurses
Cons
too many to list
Worse Place to Work
???? (Former Employee) –  Denver, CoOctober 1, 2013
The Hospital is so worried about maintaining it's Name, that it forgets about the Employee's . All I can say if you care about your private life then don't let people know , or it will be all over the Hospital. It's like being in High School, there are rude people that are in Management that will lie about you. They say they care about your Education , that is also a lie , they will work you hard , as others sit around or sleep on the Job. Sexual Orientation is a big problem there ..They let co-workers talk about you then act like you never complained.

They always had problems with bedbugs and never clean the room the correct way to get rid of them, There was mold in some of the walls in the ER. Patients waited long hours to be seen, then the Staff was rude, and very short time spend with them.
Nurse would sometimes never go to room.
There were many times I worked overnights then back to work in 4 hours.

I would not work for this Company, it is the worse.
Cons
no true lunch breaks / long hours / bad management and the worse hr dept
Stressful, hectic, unsupported by management. Management unfair to employees
staff RN (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ColoradoMarch 20, 2013
Honestly, while I enjoyed where I worked it was poorly managed. The supervisor cared more about numbers and very little about what was done with the numbers of patients in our clinic which was pretty heavy with procedures. This always tied up one staff and usually left the rest of the clinic short handed. Very difficult to get extra help and in fact we would be penalized for doing so. Our supervisor had a tendency of checking on us when we had slow days and not when the clinic was hectic and understaffed which was most of the time.
My coworkers were good to work with and usually helpful if they werent already overloaded. The hardest part of the clinic was when our MDs wanted to add on procedures when the clinic was already running full. This happened fairly often and was always allowed. Again, I felt that management was not supportive with our clinic.
Cons
stressful environment, difficulty getting breaks, frequently understaffed, frequent overtime, frequent over scheduling of patient appointments, unfair with disciplinary matters
Great company, but limited hours and barely any chance to advance.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 2, 2015
The environment itself was ideal, as were the benefits. They provided complete medical coverage from day one of starting there. The other employees had a very positive attitude and worked very hard to ensure everything ran smoothly. Management was extremely heavy handed however, and unwilling to work around school a school schedule. Very limited hours and extremely low pay.The amount cited in the amount paid was the maximum amount you could expect to be paid per year in this job, and only if you were lucky enough to get 40 hours a week, which was extremely rare. They made it extremely hard to advance as well, and often hired outside the facility instead of internally. I can't say that this is the case currently, however, as I have not worked there since 2000.
Pros
On site medical care
Cons
Very limited hours and no room for advancement
Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!
Telemetry Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 9, 2013
Worked as a telemetry tech for 9 yrs. The manager that hired me was awesome! When she left the manager brought on was HORRIBLE. Really good people where forced out so young students could replace them and since they are in school they get scheduling preference. Seniority doesn't matter. Lots of back stabbing in the department. Forced to work in a small room with two other people right on top of you. The manager plays favorites, has coworkers befriend you to get personal info and emails then uses them against you. She will have people keep tabs on you then get weekly reports. There has been a high turnover for a reason and complaints filed against the manager and hospital with the dept of labor. The staff spend more time doing homework and gossiping then watching the patients.
Pros
3 day work week
Cons
schedule preference given students, management, no ethics
Good organization - current culture changes NOT so good
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 15, 2013
I worked for the hospital for several years. I still believe it is a good organization and would continue to get care there.

It is the people who make an organization good or bad. Ultimately my experience of upper management turned very sour. Again, some individuals shinned while others showed their true colors, and I chose to no longer be a part of a department that lacked integrity, honesty or respect.

While most co-workers were nice, some stabbed you in the back the first chance they had. What I learned from my time at UCH is to never to trust anyone.

Hardest part of the job - having to become jaded to get through the work week.

Most enjoyable part of the job - being a part of an organization that helps people.
Pros
good pay
Cons
lack of upper management support - left you with no where to turn.
Excellent,magnet level nursing experience gained at MCR
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COMay 24, 2013
If I were Charge RN on my shift I would begin with report from night charge rn of all 23 patients for our floor. Critical patients,patient needs,staffing needs. I would assign staff 4-5 patients per RN. Assist RN's and administration with tasks,needs,information.
If I were a floor RN, assessing patients,labs,x rays,history and physical,vital signs,discharge plans,reporting patient needs to approptiate staff.
I have learned how to care for mutliple patients with varied needs,including:psyciatric,geriatric,adolescent,dialysis,stroke,
cardiac,detoxing,surgical patient and family centered care. Our floor had exceptional women and men working together to truely put patinent needs above all else. The most enjoyable part of my job was caring for patients and advocating for their needs.
Pros
excellent benefits, food, manager responsiveness.
Cons
commuting from estes park
Working at Pouder Valley Hospital was a wonderful place to work for. I wish I could have retired there..
Environmental Service Tech II (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJanuary 17, 2013
I worked for them for two and a half years in multiple floors doing multiple tasks the last place I was in the O.R. working the second shift and I so enjoyed doing that!
I cleaned, waited and helped the patients according. We did Discharges, and clean up on all floors. Anything required.
I worked from the E.R., to O.R. as well as many other departments to clean for..
Management was always great to me..
My co-workers were wonderful and helpful in many ways.
The hardest part of the job was wanting to learn more and do more..
I loved learning new things. I loved helping the patients. I enjoyed giving my all.
Pros
i loved the benefits and other perks they had. to many to list.
Cons
off and on i was having to work two jobs to help make ends meet. that was the hardest.
Two inpatient towers floors 3-12, with about 20-30 rooms on each floor
Ancillary Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 27, 2014
We would do rounds every two hours, which consisted of drawing all the labs on your given floors for the night (ie:10-12, or 3-6), charting information about patients after rounds, keeping an eye on any stat EKGs for patients on your floor. Some nights I was also in the ER, which meant no blood draws, but vastly more EKGs than a usual night. I really enjoyed working there, the work was challenging, but not too challenging, and a majority of the patients were very happy to see me. I was known as 'the good tech', and my coworkers would often call me when they had a patient with tough to find veins.
Challenging environment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 15, 2013
This was a very physically demanding position as I was responsible for keeping confused and very ill patients safe. We were working towards healing them of their illness and I was responsible for providing accurate life saving information to nurses and doctors. Without my position, the nurses would not have been able to provide the best cared to every patient. This was a very rewarding position as people were very thankful for my sympathy and my sincere wanting to help them feel better. The hardest part was handling multiple extremely ill patients at the same time. What I loved about this position was it really taught me how to think quickly and how to prioritize my responsibilities in the quickest and most efficient manner.
Pros
very team oriented atmosphere
Cons
long shifts 12-14 hours long
good place to work but not many places to advance up
Special Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 6, 2012
Univ of Colorado is like many hospitals, lots of policies and run like the military. It is a great place to work if you can handle that type of standard. I have done well at Univ of Colo but want to advance my career and don't have many opportunities currently. Everyone I have worked with at Univ of Colo has been wonderful. In my job being able to do multiple things correctly the first time is the biggest stress, but I thrive on doing more. Working for a clinic like The Center for Integrative Medicine I have been able to be part of many outreach and fundraisers projects. This type of work is rewarding to me.
Pros
good benefits and semi casual work atmosphire
Cons
hard place to advance past middle management
Hard working, dedicated and easy going.
Emergency Department EMT-B/ Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COFebruary 9, 2015
At any given time one will have to multitask to keep up the fast pace of the busy department. My co-workers make that possible with the up beat attitude and desire to help. We worked as a team to give the best costumer service and patient care. I enjoyed my position greatly and look forward to finding another good team to work with. The hardest part of the job is seeing family members of patients suffer. As a team we provided care for the family almost as much and the patient in need.
Pros
stable job, co-workers, benefits, learning enviornment and grace.
Cons
thirty minutes for lunch during a twelve hour shift.
Productive and friendly workplace
Epic Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 28, 2014
I am responsible for working with end-users to learn the clinical workflows within each department for providers, nursing, medical assistant and other ancillary support staff in preparation of the Epic implementation. My colleagues and I provide on-site training and support to end-users throughout the implementation phase of the project and assist users with completing their tasks. I enjoy working with the end-users and teaching them about the system. It can be difficult when a rare issue comes up, but it is never anything that we can not make it through without collaborating and working as a team. It is rewarding for me to know that with this system, it can make the clinical staff and the patient's lives much easier, and can provide them better healthcare.
Good company to work for
Patients Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 12, 2013
My typical day at work begins at 07:00 am and ends at 19:30pm. In these 12 hours I send PCP notification letters, transfer patients in EPIC, greet visitors, answer phone calls, copy, fax, and help interns, nurses, and docs when needed. Keep track of bed board through tele-tracking and discharge patients in a timely manner when they leave the hospital. My co-workers are a grat bunch of people to work with. The most enjoyable part of my day is helping those in need and always being able to put a smile on someone's face.