University of Colorado

University of Colorado Employer Reviews

A great place to learn and interact with other fellow students.
TEACHING ASSISTANT at Electronics Design Lab (Current Employee), Boulder, COMarch 4, 2015
Usually the day goes by explaining the concepts to the students and helping them fixing the problem encountered by them when conducting the experiments.

Co-Workers are very helpful and understanding.
Productive and fun place to work
Admin Assitant II (Current Employee), Boulder, C)February 16, 2015
This is a fast paced environment that deals with many issues from many different people of a wide variety of backgrounds.
Excellent Work Environment
Conference Assistant (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: minimal hours
Working on campus at UCCS has not only provided me with a flexible work environment, but has allowed me to work with a team that is understanding and conscientious of my scheduling and academic needs.
free snacks
Arabic and French Instructor (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COFebruary 10, 2015
Nice team at work , the chair dprt is a wonderful person. I like when we meet for a lunch and share things together, I like also when my chair dprt email me asking how things going and when everyone cares about each other !
Productive and Fun Workplace
AV Technician (Current Employee), Boulder, COFebruary 9, 2015
It works around a student schedule. Listening to conventions and presentations while manning the audio mixing board.
Beautiful location, Engaged Faculty, Solid School
Instructor (Current Employee), Boulder, COFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: location, students, lively intellectual community
Cons: restrictions on faculty autonomy, undervaluing of instruction
The University of Colorado has many positive aspects and overall provides an enjoyable work atmosphere. In addition to being located in a beautiful Rocky Mountain city with plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities it is adjacent to the capital, Denver, with great dining, music, and cultural events.

The students are lively and engaged when their interest is stimulated and the course material can be seen as relevant and important to them.

The faculty in my department are professional and overall supportive.

In addition to these strengths the university has some issues that are common to higher education in these times: non-tenure track faculty are utilized as necessary for the delivery of quality undergraduate education and in university service capacities, but are undercompensated; academic freedom is threatened by administrative concerns about public and parental perception and restrictive policies; declining faculty autonomy; conflicts about the best way to maintain or improve department and university rankings while also fostering a supportive academic and professional environment that is inclusive and welcoming; and decreases in public financial support of the institution.

Some departments are feeling these restrictions more than others and so asking about and being observant of the issues specific to the department to which one is applying is wise.
Ability to be Innovative
GRADUATE PROGRAMS DIRECTOR (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJanuary 19, 2015
Able to excel at the following in under one year:

Inspire and lead team of 5 employees to become more effective, reaching and exceeding sales and
revenue goals by over 25%
o Implement more effective uses of technology, tracking mechanisms and CRM software
o Manage team to effectively implement action plans, follow up on prospective clients, and ensure a high
rate of customer retention
o Create and implement marketing, sales, and strategic plans for Graduate Programs Department
o Negotiate with internal departments for resources and work with Dean’s office to create campus wide
customer relations activities
o Maximize marketing dollars through cultivation of relationships, impactful negotiations, and implement
expansive marketing plan
o Educate team and self on trends in the industry, stay apprised on competitors’ practices, and seek ways
to provide higher quality services and products to clients
o Increased international world ranking from 82 to 40 in under 12 months by creating new relationships
with peer institutions and assuring the highest standard of excellence
State job. Its what you would expect.
Community Safety Official (Former Employee), Boulder, COJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: numerous holidays
Cons: poor management
Its hard to rate the University of Colorado as a whole. The particular department I worked under had many issues. The people who caused those issues are widely gone since I have left. Its a State Job. Fairly low expectations for mediocre pay.
Great location and experience
Research Scientist (Former Employee), Boulder, COJanuary 17, 2015
A typical day includes performing a variety of experiments which entails doing surgeries, tissue processing, cell culture, or molecular biology techniques. I learned a great deal of lab techniques that provided a strong foundation for further career advancement. The co-workers were all friendly and approachable. Most of us shared similar backgrounds and goals.
Busy
Supply Coordinator, Operating Room (Current Employee), Aurora, COJanuary 7, 2015
A good overall work environment. The staff is nice and the managers are too. Generally really care about the patients.
Higher Education
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Aurora, COJanuary 6, 2015
Higher Education is a great place to work and watch as student grow and accomplish their goals, it is amazing.
Inclusive Environment
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Aurora, CODecember 30, 2014
Great employer! Gained clerical experience and was surrounded by helpful and insightful individuals.
Engineering at CU
Centrifuge Engineer (Current Employee), Boulder, CODecember 24, 2014
Pros: excellent environment and benefits
Cons: not competitive
The work environment at CU is generally very liberal and progressive. However, in my experience, there is not much room for career growth in academia.
An MBA with a "heart"
Student (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, CODecember 18, 2014
Pros: valuable learning experience
Cons: student loans to pay off
This was a fantastic program! It instills in its graduates the ability to communicate clearly, collaborate fairly, listen carefully to all stake holders and work in the best interest of the overall social good.

The skill and abilities taught throughout the MPA program at UCCS will be of great benefit to the students themselves, and the organizations they will eventually work with. Climate change, political unrest, and changing demographics will all present new challenges in regard to planetary resources, food distribution and social vulnerability. Meaningful solutions to truly global problems will require that we as a society open opportunities for dialogue and cooperation on a large scale; opportunities that allow for the sharing of thoughts, ideas and collaborations not limited by geographical boarders.
The MPA program does an incredible job of teaching its students do do just that. In this program I've learned how to employ the strategic and ethical decision making process that will be necessary to navigate new and potentially scary situations.
Excellent working enviroment
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Boulder, CODecember 12, 2014
People are really friendly and the university makes you feel comfortable. The work of a summer intern is balanced out by great outdoors activites and a excellent campus.
Academia
Professional Research Assistant (Former Employee), Aurora, CODecember 8, 2014
If funding is strong, you get a job and can keep it. When funding fails, you lose your job. That is all.
Great program to work for as a student
Physics Tutor (Former Employee), Boulder, CODecember 8, 2014
I was a physics tutor through the A.S.A.P. program at CU Boulder. The compensation was not very significant, but it was a nice experience to be able to work with younger undergraduate students who were struggling with academics. It was also a nice way to refresh my knowledge to keep everything fresh.
Great workplace with innovative researchers and constant challenges
PROFESSIONAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Aurora, CONovember 25, 2014
Pros: flexibility of schedules; every assistant offered room for growth
Cons: uneven and sometimes very demanding schedule
Typical work day:
Discussion of work (routine analysis vs. methods development or experimental design)

Learned several different extraction techniques, HPLC-UV and HPLC-MS/MS Quantum, Ultra and Vantage (Thermo Finnigan) including troubleshooting and some maintenance

Management was responsive and encouraged new ideas and expansive thinking; also very cognizant of the important of work-life balance

Co-workers were from diverse backgrounds, but quickly became a close-knit team

The hardest part of the job was the uneven and sometimes very demanding schedule

The most enjoyable part of the job was expanding my experience and facing new challenges
Amazing School with Amazing Professors
Volunteer (Former Employee), Boulder, CONovember 19, 2014
Ignore the rating for CU as I was merely a student. Regardless, CU was a great place to attend and I hope to work there in the future.
Fast paced and exciting. Meeting people from all ove the world.
Library Technician (Former Employee), Denver, COOctober 22, 2014
Pros: people, place, and learning experiences
Cons: no job security - the job ended when i graduated. low paying.
There is nothing better for a degree seeking student then to work in the library, it is the heart of information. Learning how to use the data bases, how to effectively make them mine, put me at the top of my game when it came to being ready for a project. It also gave me the skills to share and train other students how to use the library. Through this I met many people from all over the world, work with them on a personal basis, and in turn learn about their world. And didI I mention it was fast paced?

1 2 3 4 5