University of Colorado Employee Reviews

Great place
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 17, 2017
Great staff and wonderful environment. The benefits were awesome and the leave was bountiful. Parking wasn't all that great, but the atmosphere was refreshing.
College of Nursing-Support
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 17, 2017
I worked at the College of Nursing on the Anschutz Campus which is a nice campus. Unfortunately, a lot of attention is given to the medical school because they have the biggest population on the campus, so not as much attention is given to the other schools. Since this is the case, and the majority rules, many funds are geared towards research for the medical school and not the College of Nursing. I did like working there until the end partly because of the political atmosphere and it was getting to be where if one person complained about anything, everyone had to go out of their way to accommodate. It is impossible to make everyone happy all of the time. Staff seemed a little underappreciated by management. The focus was more on hiring the best faculty which is understandable to attract students. However due to the creation of new programs, sometimes staff support was not in the loop, causing issues that were preventable if there had been better communication. Despite these issues that occurred, I did enjoy working at the college specifically with faculty and staff.
Pros
Faculty and Staff
Cons
Politics
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 16, 2017
The role of the undergraduate research assistant was to support the PhD candidates through their research. The work was research based and exciting. New information was learned daily.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Professional Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 16, 2017
Good people, interesting work, fulfilling job. Job entailed making spaceflight instruments that benefited society. Teamwork was the order of the day.
Good place to work with a great bunch of educators.
Graduate Teaching Assistant/Advising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 16, 2017
A typical day at work was primarily self-directed by each individual as they planned their own lesson plans for delivering to the students. Acquired knowledge from this experience involved 1) an in-depth orientation into the educational environment, 2) a wonderful opportunity to create teacher/student relationships, 3) I developed a tremendous level of respect for my peers and the professors guiding me, and 4) the acquisition of my degree which I had wanted to complete for years.

I was respected enough to be chosen as the only student sitting on the Academic Ethics Committee. This was a courtroom culture that reviewed cases brought to us by professors in regards to ethics violations they felt a particular student had committed.

It was a very academic environment, and yet also had a relaxed but quick-paced approach. The hardest part of the job was the Academic Ethics Committe and the need and responsibility to discipline students on occasion which included up to expulsion. And yet, working with students was by far the most rewarding part when seeing them complete their studies and graduate.
Pros
Very flexible hours, great people environment
Cons
It was temporary during enrollment
CU Denver is a great in-state institution
Registrar Specialist Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 11, 2017
CU Denver, is a great place to work! As an employee of this great institution, you can also be a student. Your dependents can take advantage of the tuition benefit as well.
Good
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 10, 2017
Good work culture, amazing manager, and pay is comprehensive.
This helps for students to improve their focus and gain more knowledge about the internals of the subject
this is a school?
Student-Athlete Women's Soccer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 8, 2017
I did not work at the University, I was a student athlete here I am not sure why I am having to evaluate this institution as if it was a job because it was not.
Pros
student
Cons
student
Generally, positive and stimulating academic envirnment. Great location.
Graduate Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 8, 2017
Everything depends on your immediate supervisor. Working with peers is usually easy. As a staff member, I did not have any room for career advancement, so it became a dead end. Salaries are mediocre, as always in the academic world. PERA is a great thing but health insurance is expensive, unless you choose the high deductible option. Very limited vacation and sick days.

For somebody with an academic background, it is not difficult to adjust and work at CU-Boulder. But if you a person of color, think twice because the university's claim to be a proponent of diversity is false. People of color feel uncomfortable here, although there is no visible discrimination.

In the humanities (my field), faculty and students are not the best in the world. Most students come to Boulder to ski and snowboard, not to study. CU-Boulder used to be the No. 1 Party School in the U.S., now it's a little lower on the list, but the party culture remains.
Pros
Stimulating academic environment.
Cons
Internal politics spoil everything.
Has a good work life balance
Project and Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 6, 2017
Career growth opportunities are less and in general slow paced.
Good for people who need less stress at work. Work place culture is good . Some leaders however need to have better vision to guide the team
Great place to live and work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 4, 2017
CU Boulder provides ample opportunities to carry out groundbreaking research using state-of-the art approaches. The work environment is friendly and stimulating. The only downside is that Boulder is an expensive town to live in, and the cost of childcare can be prohibitive for families.
review of CU Dining halls
Dining Crew (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 3, 2017
working as a student in the dining halls was quite an experience. It was a fun environment to work in and the managers were very understanding of a students busy schedule and often gave us time off to study during midterm or finals weeks.
Research
Senior Professional Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 2, 2017
Workplace environment and compensation are extremely variable depending on department and principle investigator. Benefits are excellent and campus is lovely.
Stressful environment manager micromanaged and was crabby all the time.
Professional Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pine Ridge, SD 57770October 2, 2017
No room for advancement, long work hours and they wanted staff to spy and report back to the project manager what was going on inside participants homes.
Pros
Worked on reservation learned a lot about the people and culture.
Cons
Weather and project manager
slow paced work enviromnment
Independent ODI Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 1, 2017
Slow paced work environment. Temporary assignment, but had to sped up the process all the timer to meet deadlines. Very friendly, but very slow surrounding. Have to be proactive
Nice research environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 27, 2017
Good work culture.
Brilliant colleagues
Productive research environment
Strong work ethic
Less salary
Generous PTO
Strong Leadership in the biomedical text mining space
Pros
Environment and Colleagues
Cons
Less salary
Slow paced
Manager of Software Strategy and Licensing (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 26, 2017
CU is a place to go where you won't be challenged too much. It is a safe and slow job. The management culture can be a little unsure of itself. I found myself going through multiple reorgs, they came to be so common they were no longer surprising.

The time off is excellent and the benefits are ok.
amazing experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 25, 2017
I was able to translate my educational experience into practical problem solving working with one of the leaders in electromagnetic computational analysis. I highly recommend doing research at the University of Colorado Denver. It has strengthened my connection to the school and the staff at CU Denver.
A very rewarding company to work for.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 24, 2017
I love this company and I'm only seeking a part-time job because I missed working with the special need population.So i hope that I will be able to find a company that will work with my current schedule at CU.
Pros
nice income with great benefits
I enjoyed working here
Research & Instruction Librarian (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 22, 2017
I enjoyed working for the Univ of CO. I felt that the university supported my effort in my job and provided solid benefits. I would work here again. Thanks.