University of Connecticut Employee Reviews

Great
Volunteer & Leadership (Current Employee) –  Windham, CTMay 11, 2017
While allowing me to volunteer during the semester I was fortunate enough to mentor a great kid one a week. I tutored him on any subject he struggled with and also enjoyed outdoor/indoor recreational activities. A truly humbling experience that allowed me to teach, but also taught me.
Great Place
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Storrs, CTMay 11, 2017
Everyone is so friendly, really truly it was great. Helping students adjust can be a challenge sometimes; especially incoming nervous freshmen, however, we made that transition easier on them.
Excellent place to teach and learn
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Storrs, CTMay 9, 2017
Teaching at the University of Connecticut has been an excellent experience for me. Not only is the cost of my education covered by the school, but I am also trusted with teaching undrgraduates Calculus and other courses in Mathematics. The grading is sometimes difficult, but the community of learning there is a pleasure to be around.
Nice education environment
Research Assistant and Teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  Storrs, CTMay 1, 2017
Work as teaching assistant to assist to teach animal anatomy and animal disease management for two semesters. Work as research assistant to perform research in Vibrio Parahaemolyticus related research, including gene knocking out and modification, and protein analysis.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too much work load
Good place to supplement Education with a low maintenance job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Storrs, CTApril 26, 2017
Make your own hours at the beginning of the semester. Very flexible schedule. Graduate assistants supervise each shift, but they're all very easing going. Students come in at their leisure to be tutored, and tutor shifts are 2 hours longs each.
Pros
Very low demanding job
Cons
Can get a little crazy the night before an exam
Fun Summer Job
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Storrs, CTApril 25, 2017
Working with the kids are great. As it is just a summer job, there isn't really room for advancement and the compensation isn't the greatest. However, the people are good and the job overall is fun.
Great environment and provides you a lot of skills to learn
Landscape and Facilities Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Storrs, CTApril 24, 2017
Good pay
Great People
Great variety in equipment
Knowledgeable crew
jobs let you both be independent or work with others
Rewarding
given freedom to learn on new equipment
Pros
Great place to learn
Cons
physically demanding
Friendly workplace
Student IT Trainee (Current Employee) –  Storrs, CTApril 19, 2017
While working with engineering department, I learned how to troubleshoot and debug computers that were using the CAD, MATlab and C++ programs. A typical day at work consisted of troubleshooting over 50 computers in computer labs, profile migration on over 100 users, taking inventory and reporting missing/broken machinery in need of replacement
Studied and taught at the same time
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  USAApril 17, 2017
- Cool place
- Enjoyed interacting with students
- Easy culture
- Learnt a lot about conducting lessons and making lesson plans
- Taught the course for 2 years
Great place
Student Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTApril 17, 2017
The job culture here is great. Employees are cared for and the work is appropriate. The only downside may be not enough hours, other than that I would recommend it.
Nice place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Storrs, CTApril 16, 2017
Great culture,good management, can learn things from others. It is a good balance for work and life. I would recommend others to work here. People around are very friendly.
Psychology Research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Storrs, CTApril 11, 2017
The department is good and the school is also good, but my PI is the worst human I've ever met. They single-handedly ruined my experience here. Other labs I worked for as an undergraduate researcher were great experiences.
Pros
Compensation is decent
Cons
No vacation days laid out in contract, terrible management
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTApril 9, 2017
I was a work study student and my professor was wonderful and flexible with my work schedule. I developed skills in international research and was exposed to many opportunities
Typical Academici over worked low pay research work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Storrs, CTApril 2, 2017
Worked on research and development, opportunity to come up with new methods, writing proposals for grants and funding, publishing journals articls, attending conferences and presenting papers. .
Pros
Get to work n challenging and exciting reasearch projects
Cons
Pressure topublish, low pay, pressure to get funding, constantly polishinng papers and proposals.
ok
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Storrs, CTMarch 25, 2017
Work there for work experience in the construction industry and learned a lot about the construction process of new projects. The only down side is lack of organization from management.
Security Researcher and Lead Lab Technician/Engineer
Lead Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Storrs, CTMarch 22, 2017
Worked in a blackbox penetration lab were different companies would send us a variety of devices. Our job was to examine and investigate any potential vulnerabilities and report back back our findings
Pros
Amazing work
Cons
Lack of publications due to NDA
Excellent learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMarch 21, 2017
Typical day at work was exciting and required lot of comprehensive reading, analyzing and teamwork
I learned to use SAS coding program
Management was excellent
Workplace culture encourage lots of personal and professional growth and progress
I worked as a Masters student with my advisor through financial aid service as part of a work study. My experience was a great learning experience.
A wonderful and lovely environment.
Rainbow Center Staff (Current Employee) –  Storrs Mansfield, CTFebruary 23, 2017
he fun and amazing staff provides resources and services to the wider campus community of students, faculty, staff, and local residents. Our educational and social programs include weekly discussion groups, Gender and Sexualities Studies courses, an LGBTQ alternative spring break trip, bi-monthly Friday nigh socials, the weekly Out to Lunch lecture series, the weekly CommunitE e-newsletter, Rainbow Cinema, a number of unique programs, the annual t-shirt awareness campaign, and a library with over 2,000 books and videos
Graduate Program
Graduate/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Storrs, CTFebruary 12, 2017
Just a typical graduate program. Its tough and thankless but you get through it.You get what you put into it. You can work 40 hours a week if you want but you won't finish for a while.
Pros
Very Flexible work schedule
Cons
Mentally and emotionally draining
UConn
Health education office (Former Employee) –  Storrs, CTFebruary 9, 2017
The staff here was team oriented and wanted new employees to be up to speed and all on the same page. I enjoy working for UConn. Most of the days, the tasks were pretty straight forward.
Pros
Work life balance, you take your own hours, nice place to live, work and study on campus
Cons
seniority is key decision makers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Connecticut. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3