University of Delaware

University of Delaware Employer Reviews

Analytic Chemist
Research Chemist (Former Employee), Newark, DEMarch 29, 2014
Pros: collaborative environment, experience in both academia and private sector
Cons: there were no cons.
Position required creating a research study, conducting benchwork sample preparation and analysis, and utilized specialized analytical equipment. I co-wrote several publications for professional journals, as well presenting findings a national conferences.
Inept Leadership
Employee (Former Employee), Newark, DEMarch 16, 2014
Cons: see above
There certainly are many capable faculty and staff at UD, but several administrators tend to be petty and vindictive. Higher education is decidedly low on their list of priorities. They focus instead on building turf, acquiring personal perks, and scoring political points. Self-interest, boorish and unethical behavior, poor treatment of staff, failure – more... to recognize their own shortcomings as supervisors, and unbridled vanity often pass as "leadership."

Administrators constantly snipe at each other and engage in turf battles, resulting in high employee turnover and low faculty and staff morale. My boss often bragged about her many petty arguments with other university administrators, oblivious to her own childishness. She publicly touted the importance of collaboration and teamwork while working behind the scenes to sabotage others’ efforts. More than once, my boss slammed the phone on reporters who dared to ask legitimate questions about her decisions and actions affecting the local community.

I saw UD administrators bully their own and others' staffs. They routinely break university policies knowing they won’t be held accountable. They cozy up to local community leaders and residents in public while expressing contempt in private—especially when those residents share concerns about UD activities affecting their communities. Community concerns are mocked behind closed doors. The residents of Newark and Lewes should always remain vigilant, as UD administrators won't hesitate to engage in political tricks and regulatory runarounds to get what they want.

No matter what academic degrees they hold, some people are simply not good leaders. Unfortunately at the University of Delaware, many sit at the highest levels of administration. – less
Decent University with good culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee), DelawareMarch 15, 2014
Pros: good work/life balance, nice faculty
Decent University with good culture and good work/life balance
Nice faculty
Certified SAS advanced programmer with strong programming ability and a solid background of statistics.
Teaching Assistant on SAS Programming (Current Employee), DE, NJ, PA, VA, NYC, and nearby locationsFebruary 13, 2014
I have been described by past employers and professors as hardworking, effective at analyzing problems, self-motivated, and detailed oriented. My work experience has taught me how to work efficiently, set goals, and how to manage my time. While I excel at working independently, I also enjoy working as part of a team and value the contributions of the – more... members. When needed I am also capable of taking charge of a task and know how to recognize and encourage the skills of others in order to effectively complete projects. I am motivated by new challenges and I am comfortable performing multiple tasks to meet project deadlines. One of the ways I add value and make contributions to an organization is to provide innovative ideas utilizing my knowledge and skills. I am passionate about my work and always strive to exceed my personal goals, as well as employer expectations. – less
Great Benefits
Gift & Records Specialist (Current Employee), Newark, DEJanuary 25, 2014
Great place to work. Some departments have dead end positions with no where to advance to.
Worked as undergrad research scholar
RESEARCH SCHOLAR (Former Employee), Newark, DEJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: autonomy, work life balance
As an undergrad research scholar I was fairly autonomous with oversight and guidance provided as necessary.
Provided a great education
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Newark, DelawareJanuary 5, 2014
The University of Delaware engineering program is excellent
Feels like family
Research Assistant in Molecular Virology (Current Employee), Newark, DEJanuary 2, 2014
Working as research assistant at University of Delaware is a precious experience for me before I start my career. The chair of the department I worked in is very nice to the employee and my co-workers there are easy to go with and intelligent too.
State and Carnegie Research University with the graduate PT program rated 2nd in the US
Post-doctoral Fellow & Research Scientist (Former Employee), Newark, DEDecember 31, 2013
Gained experience with extramural (federal) funding mechanisms to support research. Provided guidance and supervision on scientific research and independent study projects, ensured proper function of the lab and equipment, served on Master’s Thesis Committees.
Teacher
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Newark DEDecember 28, 2013
Excellent place to work- I taught health classes and helped with health research.
Was a work-study
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Newark, DEDecember 16, 2013
Pros: flexible
Cons: difficult to balance school with job
Employer was flexible and workload was different each day. Your experience will depend on the position you hold. Co-workers were graduate students who were fun to be around. Hardest part was just balancing school with work.
Good hours and experience
Student Health Services (Former Employee), Newark, DelwareDecember 14, 2013
It is a small part time job and you may only work 2 hours in 2 weeks etc. You depend how often and how many events you choose to work.
Fun place to work.
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Newark, DEDecember 8, 2013
Friendly and safe atmosphere.
Healthy environment.
Good compensation and chances for growth.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Newark, DEDecember 7, 2013
Great research environment, good colleagues and excellent advisor
An University with a very good graduate school for research.
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Newark, DEDecember 4, 2013
Very productive to work with very efficient and intelligent co-workers.
Great place to work, all the employee's are friendly.
Miscellaneous Worker (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEDecember 2, 2013
Pros: long lunch break
Cons: not enough work hours
Work day was usually pretty busy not to bad though. I learned how to look up data files.
Fun environment to work at
Manager for Dining Services/Concessions (Current Employee), Newark, DENovember 27, 2013
Pros: free food and beverages
Cons: scheduling issues
I learned a lot about customer service, how to handle cash, and to be a team leader.
Productive with lots of Learning sessions
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Newark, DENovember 25, 2013
I have learned to adapt to the new work culture. Being an International Student from India, this challenging work is equipping myself with necessary skills to to on par with my peers.
i loved it
Network Systems and Services IT Employee (Former Employee), newarkNovember 17, 2013
it was great, i enjoyed the experience. I liked my coworkers as well as the work i did. I learned quite a bit about the profession.
Great professors
Family Nurse Practitioner Student (Former Employee), Newark, DENovember 11, 2013
Understanding of the needs of the modern student
work/life balance doable