University of Delaware

University of Delaware Employer Reviews

Quite good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Newark, DEAugust 22, 2014
It was a pretty good experience as an intern. The compensation was good and works are easy.
Fun academic and motivating place to work
Electrical Engineering Research Assistant (Current Employee), Newark, DEAugust 20, 2014
Pros: care for your personal life, family and professional success
You arrive at work with tasks to complete from previous day or weeks or months, a problem in mind to solve or learn more about. One learns quickly that it is better to work as part of a team than being alone all the time, but yet again you realize that there is some stuff left to you to figure out regardless of the team you have.

Coworkers relate with one another politely and respectfully offering help and engaging in intellectual dialogue at the slightest mention of a topical issue.

The institute creates time for fun, parties and picnics are organized religiously and taken very seriously. It is a family oriented place
Fun and fast-paced work environment
Intramural Referee (Former Employee), Newark, DEAugust 13, 2014
Set up/break down various equipment needed for sports (i.e. volleyball, soccer, football, basketball)
Referee/keep score for intramural sports for college recreational athletes
Great benefits, little opportunity for advancement
Technology Support Specialist (Current Employee), Newark, DEAugust 7, 2014
Pros: education and health benefits
Cons: unbalanced work distribution
The majority of my time is spent at the service desk helping students, faculty and staff use multimedia and productivity software. During this time as the service desk, I am also supervising the students who are on shift to ensure optimal customer service outcomes. When away from the service desk, I complete administrative tasks such as; write performance comments, process payroll, write/ respond to confidential emails, and work on focus-driven multimedia projects.

In this job, I have learned how to lead by example and developed my unique leadership style, which is a cross between democratic and laissez-faire leadership styles. I believe that an engaged employee should have the autonomy and freedom to be creative and share his/her point of view.

I work with an interesting group of people, all of which, have different perspectives and points of view. This mix gives me insight into the mindsets of a diverse population and has driven my decision making.

The hardest part of my job is managing service desk time with administrative tasks. I am a highly focused, organized and goal-oriented individual. Getting my work done in a timely and stress-free fashion is the greatest challenge at this job.

The most enjoyable part of my job helping people, whether student employees or the university community, achieve their goals.
Fun atmosphere where you can be a part of college athletics
Field Liaison - UD Football (Current Employee), Newark, DEJuly 31, 2014
Pros: watching and working in sports
Cons: does not pay particularly well
Helping the Media in any capacity during sporting events. The work is primarily during the games and requires employees to show up a few hours before the games start.
very organized company to work for
Security Officer (Former Employee), Newark, DEJuly 23, 2014
Pros: take classes for free
Cons: low paying salary
I really enjoyed working here because it had great benefits, well organized, and I got to take classes for free. We were held to the same standards as the police officers and i loved it. It made me feel more professional and made me feel like I was important.
University of Delaware, Technical Solution Center (TSC)
Computing Consultant (Former Employee), Newark DEJuly 22, 2014
• Troubleshooting and resolving student and faculty/staff IT problems
• Virus / Malware / Spyware cleaning and removal
• Operating system repair / restoration; Hardware diagnostic
• Removal of student copyright infractions
• Technical maintenance supervising and training of new employees; overseeing level-1 and level-2 technician work duties
Student based health center
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Newark, DEJuly 20, 2014
A rewarding job providing care care to University students in both inpatient and outpatient clinics. Applied skills in health promotion, flu shot clinics, and more. Worked with a variety of physicians and other ancillary staff.
Finance Professional
Asst. Director, Research Acctg (Former Employee), Newark, DE 19716July 15, 2014
Pros: work flexibility
Cons: pay structure
Working at the University consists of meeting multiple, conflicting deadlines, all with great significance. When beginning at the University I did so as a temporary employee and demonstrated that I would be an asset to the University and was shortly offered a permanent full-time position. Starting as an entry-level position I gained valuable knowledge that I retained and taught to others as I was recognized, and promoted over the years to a Senior level position. The work was challenging, but rewarding, and varied daily. The most enjoyable component of working at the University was being able to work with a diverse group of individuals.
Very Large
Lab Experimenter (Former Employee), Newark, DEJuly 14, 2014
Pros: very interesting
Cons: hours
a typical day at work was meeting with my group and discussing ways to improve our study and actually practice the study

I learned a lot about how people interact with each other

Management was typically done by the TA and the professor

My coworkers were students that i got along with

The hardest part of the job was how demanding the hours were

The most enjoyable part of the job was actually conducting the experiment
competitive
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Newark, DEJuly 8, 2014
An environment that allows for constant learning. Each lab is different so choosing the right lab for you is important. The people are easy to get along with and are willing to help out.
Good academic environment for research
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Newark, DEJuly 4, 2014
UDel is commited to providing their employees with endless opportunities in regards to great benefits, free education and other perks such as free gym membership among other things.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Newark, DEJune 30, 2014
During my time as a graduate assistant, I learned skills that are essential in today's job market.
Very pleasant location
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Newark, DEJune 9, 2014
Very close to major cities including DC, Philly and NY. No sales tax.
Good Research enviroment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Newark, DEMay 12, 2014
It is a good place to live and study. Work/life balance is good.

The campus is great!
A wonderful place to work
Wellness Educator and Counselor (Former Employee), Newark, DEMay 6, 2014
Counseling and assessment
Education
Student events and programming
okay
Research Fellow and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Newark, DEMay 1, 2014
Interesting university to work at, I've learned a great deal
Good Place to work at!!
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), Newark, DEApril 17, 2014
Have a great work experience at UD and training is great here.
Analytic Chemist
Research Chemist (Former Employee), Newark, DEMarch 29, 2014
Pros: collaborative environment, experience in both academia and private sector
Cons: there were no cons.
Position required creating a research study, conducting benchwork sample preparation and analysis, and utilized specialized analytical equipment. I co-wrote several publications for professional journals, as well presenting findings a national conferences.
Inept Leadership
Employee (Former Employee), Newark, DEMarch 16, 2014
Cons: see above
There certainly are many capable faculty and staff at UD, but several administrators tend to be petty and vindictive. Higher education is decidedly low on their list of priorities. They focus instead on building turf, acquiring personal perks, and scoring political points. Self-interest, boorish and unethical behavior, poor treatment of staff, failure to recognize their own shortcomings as supervisors, and unbridled vanity often pass as "leadership."

Administrators constantly snipe at each other and engage in turf battles, resulting in high employee turnover and low faculty and staff morale. My boss often bragged about her many petty arguments with other university administrators, oblivious to her own childishness. She publicly touted the importance of collaboration and teamwork while working behind the scenes to sabotage others’ efforts. More than once, my boss slammed the phone on reporters who dared to ask legitimate questions about her decisions and actions affecting the local community.

I saw UD administrators bully their own and others' staffs. They routinely break university policies knowing they won’t be held accountable. They cozy up to local community leaders and residents in public while expressing contempt in private—especially when those residents share concerns about UD activities affecting their communities. Community concerns are mocked behind closed doors. The residents of Newark and Lewes should always remain vigilant, as UD administrators won't hesitate to engage in political tricks and regulatory runarounds to get what they want.

No matter what academic degrees they hold, some people are simply not good leaders. Unfortunately at the University of Delaware, many sit at the highest levels of administration.