University of Denver Employee Reviews in United States

Imagine (working at) DU - on second thought
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 4, 2015
PROS
Beautiful campus
Decent benefits
Free Eco Pass and easy to get to by public transit
Tuition reimbursement/waiver

CONS:
Low pay
Do not respect or value the "rank and file" employee
At lower levels very little professional development made available
Lack of advancement opportunity
Parking can be an issue
If you don't fit into the DU "culture" (and there is a definite one) you will not be very happy or successful there.
Sadly the LEP does not live up the hype
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  LEPJune 21, 2016
Working in the LEP at DU is dissapointing. They boast about what an amazing program they are yet, management could not tell you why they are great. In fact management has spent the past year having the employess write a manual about what makes them great.

There are very few staff that have knowledge and background in this field. You create your own job with no support.
Pros
Tuition waver
Cons
poor management, horrible parking
Education is Expensive, but a Great Program
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 18, 2016
UD is a private institution, with tuition currently around $55,000/year. As a graduate student, I received a stipend, but otherwise this would have been too expensive. The smaller chemistry department allows for great hands on access to instrumentation and one-on-one instruction.
Pros
Small class size; great faculty
Cons
Very expensive
Good Work/Life Balance
LEP Tutor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 4, 2016
I have enjoyed working with the staff and the positive culture of the DU campus. There are definitely perks to being a staff member and lots of flexibility with hours.
Pros
Discounted Tickets, Gym
Cons
Healthcare, Investment Options
Quality location to work. Modern facilities, commitment to excellence and friendly atmosphere. Located in residential area near downtown Denver.
Director of Basketball Operations (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2016
Enjoyable location to work. Friendly employees, vibrant student body and quality environment to learn, excel and improve.
A Great Private University
Grants Accountant and Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 23, 2014
As with many universities, DU tends to have a decentralized structure and a culture of independence. At the divisional and departmental levels, the atmosphere is more relaxed and concerned with the students and their education. As you climb the ladder into the central offices, the culture is much more corporate - you start finding more rigid supervisory styles, dress codes, and the like. DU provides great benefits, including a decent amount of vacation time (though not as much as CU or Denver Public Schools). There are many great people who have been there for decades and make the university a great place to work.
Enjoyed my time at DU
SYSTEMS & OPERATIONS ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 30, 2015
Great community of people to work with. Flexible, laid back, some great benefits. Opportunities to continue education. Students create an interesting environment.
Pros
Tuition Waiver, Free RTD Pass, Retirement Benefits
Cons
Low Industry Salary, hard to advance
Appealing aspects of work / life balance, lacking options in benefits and advancement
Information Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 25, 2013
One of the most enjoyable aspects of my job is working with many different technologies that are always changing and evolving. The challenges of new technologies are what continue to keep my interest in the technology industry. I also enjoy interactions with different departments on campus and the many different companies that I work with outside of the university.

I gained extensive knowledge of the security industry, especially in the areas of digital video recording, fire and security alarms and law enforcement related software solutions.

One of the continuing challenges is helping non-technical management understand the complexities and value of technology.
Pros
parental leave, beautiful campus, education benefits
Cons
limited options in healthcare, limited options in advancement
Great temporary position
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 1, 2016
I substituted for a professor who was on sabbatical. Overall it was a pleasant experience, nice people who were willing to work with my on schedule.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Temporary
Great Local School.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 4, 2016
DU provides great benefits to its graduate students. Tuition, health insurance, and a stipend are provide for Graduate Teaching and Research Assistants.
Great Teaching Environment
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 24, 2016
Excellent employer that offers mentorship opportunities. I've worked with Universities that throw you in, but DU actually cares and wants you to be successful!
Great benefits. Employees receive tuition waivers. TIAA-Cref retirement - employer match. Reduced cost for gym membership.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 13, 2016
Standard work hours are 8 am to 4:30 pm. A dynamic workplace. I enjoyed the endless opportunities made available to the employees. The hardest part of the job is balancing the workload, deadlines and personal life.
Poor management
Classroom Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 2, 2015
Awesome place to work until upper management changes. Three visus woman made the work environment a very unprofessional, hostile and hateful place to be employed at.
Pros
Great students
Cons
unhealthy stress
Great workplace!
DU Registrar Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 2, 2015
Best work experience of my life so far. They worked with my school schedule and were very flexible. Management was amazing and would help out anytime that I had a problem.
Productive and always ready to answer any question!
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 22, 2015
Working at the Student Information Desk at the University of Denver was a great experience. The hours were very flexible to accommodate my college classes and mid-terms/finals schedules. Many people would approach the desk asking for the lost and found, tables that were reserved for promoting University events and club activities. I would answer phone calls from people who needed directions to a building on campus or if the desk had received a lost item during the day. My cow-workers were very helpful and well informed about almost everything going on. The overall experience I had at this position was a very positive one
Interesting job with many responsibilities
Maintenance Manager/ Grounds Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 28, 2015
With so many different events and different job responsibilities, it always kept the job interesting.

In the management position I learned to respect everyone's opinion and handle each situation as it's own as each individual has a different view of what THEY are encountering.

Most enjoyable was ice maintenance and driving the Zamboni. Because it is actually an art it was an important process.
Pros
working a concert and getting to converse and work behind the scenes, sometimes with the artist or performer
Cons
different shifts were sometimes expected on late notice
A home away from home
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 22, 2015
Moving away for the first time for graduate school was definitely a frightening experience. I feel extremely lucky to have found such a welcoming atmosphere, both from the students and faculty, at the University of Denver. In my two years here, I've learned so much about research & teaching. The hardest part of graduate school, but the most necessary, was to develop a solid balance between a work life & personal life.
Great enviornment wonderful people.
Bursar / Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 29, 2012
- great environment
- educational benefits
- positive learning experience
I LOVED my job!
Technical Assistant, Construction Project Mgt (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 19, 2012
I had a fabulous job at DU, digital archiving (scanning, with a 7 point indexing system) of past and current legal and construction documents. I reduced a storage room of paper to one 4 inch thick 3 ring binder with over 200 cd's (One per project). I wrote po's, tracked payments, kept office equipment stocked and functioning, I was a Currier of documents as well. I worked with 3 wonderful professional project managers. My bosses boss was equally great. I had mountains of paperwork to face, and mountains coming in, but was allowed to focus on my job, rather that being pulled in too many directions and micro managed. I worked 10 hour days. I created a very comfortable space, where all seemed to look forward to coming in, fresh coffee, flowers, air, music. I even planted a little garden out back, flowers and mint.. We felt like a work family. As one spends so much of ones life at work, I believed it should be a place people enjoyed coming to. My job was very rewarding. When completed, we could find any document with in seconds. The flow was amazing. One touch accessibility of so much paperwork. My job ended due to completion, there were no hard feelings.
The low rating comes from the shift in upper administration towards the end of my time there, focusing on $$$ rather than the contributions of the amazing individuals working there. If you do not recognize your most valuable assets (your employees), you will lose it all. When I first began, the focus was on pride and productivity, but it began to shift, and the well being of the individual was replaced with squeezing pennies. I
  more... understand that comes with economic times, but in this case, the administrators seemed to be thriving, creating positions for themselves, getting raises, still getting benefits like cars and additional bonuses, but those in the positions of doing the most critical work, were not getting raises or recognition.. Even professors were grumbling..(What would a university be with out a professor?) Souls matter first. We are not lego blocks  less
Pros
their 2-1 contribution to retirement plans
Cons
the corporate direction they are taking..
Great benefits, with all the problems of private education institutions
Campus Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 30, 2013
The work environment was good, and the retirement benefits were great. However, I continually an into difficulties when I attempted to offer improvements to the safety of the campus. The week before the Virginia Tech shootings, I had prepared a brief for the administration highlighting the vulnerabilities of the DU campus for just such an attack. The administration told me I was being alarmist and stated that large universities were not likely targets for such violence. After the shooting, they buried the brief, never to see the light of day again.

I became aware that they feel that their Department of Campus Safety only existed for insurance reasons. They wanted us to be seen and not heard. I caught a serial sex assault suspect, and was admonished for doing so. They stated that now they would have to report the arrest on the Clery Report. They artificially keep their crime statistics low by not taking actions to address the crime on campus. This is done purely for marketing reasons

As an example, there is a large problem with alcohol abuse and alcohol related crime on the campus. We had proposed that we hire off duty Denver Officers to perform DUI patrols on the campus. The response from the administration was that not only would they not bring in the Denver Officers, but they were baring their own officers from enforcing alcohol related offenses as well. Don't get me wrong, the men and women in the Department of Campus Safety are good people ad do what they can within their restraints. This is an organizational issue from the administration of the university itself.

more... an all, it was not worth the good retirement.  less
Pros
200% retirement match
Cons
the intentional lack of attention to the safety of the campus

4.2