University of Florida Employee Reviews

Head Flyman (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 26, 2017
Here at the University of Florida, there are many great things to learn. This job is definitely that, there are a lot of things that can be learned at your time at this roadhouse. Many different shows come and go, each of them varying from major Broadway shows to small 5 people student shows. We accommodate them all. The environment is fast paced and constantly needs you to think on your feet. One of the major things to keep in mind is that this is a team effort, anything and everything done is done as part of a team and you will always be working with at least one other person.
Pros
Everyday is something new, have a hand in every department, always have something to do
Cons
Sometimes posted hours you will work are no 100% acurate
Its a place that gave me secure future to retire with benefits and fulltime employment. Its a nlessing to work with students & staff.
Custodian 1 (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 24, 2017
I love my job the hours are great, the benefits can't be beat. Nut the pay need to be better per hour. I am blessed to still be working here since june 23, 1998.
Pros
Retire package & awesome place to grow.
Cons
Paying for parking is worst.
Teaching is rewarding work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 24, 2017
I taught first year architecture students how to think differently about how to make architecture that was thoughtful and inspiring. This was a very rewarding position with the university which helped me to pay for my degree.
Go gators!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 22, 2017
The University of Florida is an amazing place! The campus is gorgeous, classes are interesting, and gator football games are the best It's great to be a Florida gator!
Fast pace environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 17, 2017
Fast pace environment that is centered around research. Workplace culture is pleasant and people are enjoyable to work with. There is definitely room for advancement.
Stressful, but decently-paying for Gainesville
Admin Support Asst II (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 16, 2017
It is a stressful environment, but in a town dominated by the University, it is one of the only options for a decent pay rate and benefits. You will struggle to find pay that competes elsewhere in this city.
Public University
Biological Scientist (Assistant Investigator) (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 15, 2017
The work is by temporary contract, at best, and wages are low. Managers are not trained as managers, so having a good supervisor is entirely by chance.
Pros
Excellent scientists for the most part
Cons
Most work is very low pay, even with a PhD.
Great Place to work!
Program Assistant, (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 14, 2017
The Gator spirit is contagious! Although the university cannot offer salaries as high as corporate competitors, you are rewarded with ample time off and a much more relaxed atmosphere.
Great employer
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 12, 2017
Loved working for UF!! Very supportive environment, great benefits, always learned something new. My colleagues were knowledgeable, and dedicated to students.
Good place to study, awful organization to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 11, 2017
Let me just say that the annual internal employee satisfaction survey continues to show that around 60% of employees are thinking on leaving their jobs. Main reasons: Rampant nepotism, incompetent management, little to no room for growth unless you have "connections". In my case, I witnessed all that first hand, which contributes to a very low morale and somber work atmosphere. Prevalent "I don't care attitude". They can crush your enthusiasm pretty quickly.
Pros
Great projects to work with
Cons
Rampant nepotism, incompetent management, low morale.
Pharm tech volunteer
Lead Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 9, 2017
It was a good place to get experience in a retail pharmacy environment. The employees were really nice and helpful and genuinely wanted to see you succeed.
Great school, great professors!
STUDENT ASSISTANT DSO (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 9, 2017
Went here for my masters and the teachers and professors were very supportive and phenomenal! I learned an incredible amount that would prepare well into my career as a teacher/educator.
Fun but tedious place to work
Room Service Server (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 8, 2017
Lots of responsibility given to one person, usually with no pay raise. When there is plenty going on at the university (i.e. football) you'll make great money, but besides that it can be dead, especially during the summer.
Pros
Free lucnh
Cons
Cheap Insurance
Good university with a diverse and influential group of faculty and students
Ph.D. Researcher and Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 8, 2017
UF is a great place to work. The academics there are a close-knit bunch of folks who look out for one another. There is a great sense of collaboration and helpfulness fostered there. My main gripes working here lie with the university administration. Specifically, they insist on charging graduate assistants thousands of dollars in student fees per year, which essentially amount to charging us to work for them. Through the efforts of the GA union, we were given good healthcare, although in the last few years of my career at UF, even that was beginning to be stripped away by the administration. I think that UF needs to think seriously about how they treat their GAs if they truly want to rise to preeminence.
Pros
Relatively good pay considering cost of living, Good natural environment around campus, Great rec centers and other amenities, Good reputation
Cons
High student fees and increasingly expensive healthcare
Liberal Arts Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 7, 2017
It totally depends on your departments funding as well as what class you are assigned to T.A. as well as the instructor your get. Not every experience was bad, but if you are placed in the IUF 1000, you will be mainly doing everything for around 60 students on top of your work. And depending on your instructor, you may have to do a fair amount of damage control because of their competency in the course may not be up to par with their own department standards since it is a unique course.
Worked as a research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLMay 5, 2017
Did research here and the facilities were great and the people were very friendly. Everyone was passionate about their research and projects. I would recommend people to work here.
Teaching
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 3, 2017
this is a teaching facility and room for you to expand you skills.
very diverse
friendly
growth
various technology to better service the community
Very busy work schedule. Often overtime. No complaints.
ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 24, 2017
Great place to work for. LOVED working with all the different people within each Department. Some of the best friends and co-workers of my life came from my work experience here.
Pros
State employee, great benefits, awesome co-workers, many opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Not always regular raises or compensation for overtime due to State funding.
Good College Job
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 21, 2017
College job that can help you get by very flexible hours and good bidding shift assignments that are flexible. Great introduction to cold calling and trying to have a business funnel
Management is incompetent.
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 21, 2017
Management--- including directors of the facility are not intune w/ employees needs & concerns. If you have a life outside of work? This is not the job you want. Schedule: work 7 days, off 1 day, work 2 days, off 1 days, work 4 days, off 2 days. So basically you get a Saturday & Sunday off together once a month
Pros
Health care benefits are affordable
Cons
You rarely get days off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Florida. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4