University of Florida Employee Reviews in United States

internship
Student (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 15, 2016
work for my graduation thesis. Learn how to use Ansys Fluent and improve my knowledge in fluidinamics. the hardest part of the work was learning numerical methods , but after studying it start to be very fun.
Not helpful preceptors
Student (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 7, 2016
They do not teach. You have to watch online classes and guess your answers with no guidance. If you call someone they will tell you to call someone else in the distance pharmacy program. The videos are what teach you basics
Fantastic Learning Environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 6, 2016
The University of Florida School of Music provided a great environment for their students' learning and growth as musicians. Students were often encouraged to explore a broader range of options regarding their individual musical and artistic talents. Graduate students had myriad opportunities for growth both academically, and as teachers.
Incredible benefits, decent pay, great students, poor politics
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 3, 2016
UF is an amazing employer. The benefits are unbeatable. Decent pay depending on the department you work in. The structure allows for amazing growth opportunities. The only problem is the political/management aspect. Depending on your department management you can still run into the same unhealthy toxic environment you see in corporate America just with a little more job security. UF wants to avoid lawsuits and negative images so they have to at least abide by some moral values, however, if you do run into issues things aren't necessarily going to be resolved. HR only "recommends" actions, it falls on the next in the hierarchy to actually decide how to handle it and that can often mean its ignored. Hopefully as the poor leadership moves out, they will be replaced with actual good leaders. President Fuchs seems nice but not happy with the state approved low 1.5% raises which have now been pushed back to January instead of 3-4% beginning with the fiscal year as they used to. Aside from that, UF is better than most other employers out there due to all the perks and the exciting environment of working with great students.
Pros
Great work/life balance. A true 8-5. High growth potential. Movement within structure.
Cons
Middle and upper management do not necessarily support the feel good best practices they preach, If you have an issue you might as well transfer to another department in many cases.
Developing knowledge in natural science
Research Assistant in Horticultural (Current Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLJune 1, 2016
The development of horticulture and environmental, applying new techniques in plant nurseries, citrus grove, laboratory.
Great place to get an education!!
Student Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 28, 2016
Graduating from the University of Florida was one the biggest highlights of my life. It was an amazing 4 years and I learned so much about myself and what I truly want in the years to come.
Florida Agriculture and Information Retrieval System
Database Coordinator FAIRS (Former Employee) –  Gainesville FLMay 26, 2016
Database Manager for collection and delivery of extensive library of Agricultural Information to Florida County Extension offices and Agricultural Research Centers. System software was custom and delivered the information (textual as well as images) daily in a period of time prior to "Web".
Event Planning Director
Director of Special Events (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 25, 2016
I coordinated,planned and organized all special events to raise funds for breast cancer. Recruited and trained all volunteers for special events. Planned and organized all executive board meetings and events and art shows. Was responsible for obtaining auction items for all special events. Coordinated media outreach and imitative promotions.
Pros
Planning special events to raise funds for cancer patients.
Cons
Long days and nights
Cutural Tolerance
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 20, 2016
Although they teach an acceptance of all diverse cultural differences, I found that co-workers are not as tolerant of your differences as they want you to be about their beliefs.
Florida Health Support Tech (Phlebotomist) (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 19, 2016
Very much enjoyed working in such a caring and family orientated environment. Meeting students from all over the globe.
Pros
Meet new people.
Cons
Parking
Effective lessons
Lead Referral Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 19, 2016
Typical work day would be peaking to patient's and insurance companies as well as the physician
Every insurance company has their policies and procedures for approvals
Management had a great character
Staff were really caring
Having to not have an answer for a patient at that moment
Keeping constantly busy
Resident Assistant position at The University of Florida
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 17, 2016
As a resident assistant I didn't have many set hours. I worked an average of 20 hours per week. My responsibilities included coordinating programs, individually and with my staff, planning monthly socials for community building, and mediating roommate conflict. I would be On Call on average about twice a month and I also worked at the Yulee Area desk for 4 hours per week. I learned a lot about working with other people. I believe that the hardest part of the job was helping my residents that has anxiety, depression and other mental health issues. The most rewarding part of my job was being able to help people everyday. I loved being there for my residents
Pros
Free meal swipes, flexible schedule, great coworkers
Cons
N/A
Excellent university
Volunteer Project (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 13, 2016
Excellent place to learn and work at. I learned all the skills I possess here. Management is excellent. I miss being here and would like to go back.
Top notch faculty and flexible schedule and projects
POST DOCTORAL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 12, 2016
Enjoyed my time at UF- Go Gators!

Hardest part of the job was acquiring funding, high stress, and competition. Never felt like I could relax.

Best part of the job was the training. Always learning something new. Exciting research. Excellent facilities. Knowledgeable faculty and staff. My service contributed to humanity and society.
Pros
Flexible schedule and exciting projects
Cons
High stress environment
Volunteer/Student position
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 4, 2016
Learned more about background research, complex neurological tests of consciousness, and questionnaire and thought experiment design. Often worked independently under instruction. A valuable and challenging learning experience.
Fun place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 28, 2016
I love it however I am relocating. I have worked here for over 10 years they have great benefits. The University of Florida is a comprehensive learning institution built on a land-grant foundation. We are The Gator Nation, a diverse community dedicated to excellence in education and research and shaping a better future for Florida, the nation and the world.

Our mission is to enable our students to lead and influence the next generation and beyond for economic, cultural and societal benefit.
Awesome Community
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 24, 2016
Everyone was very nice. I learned about peer mediation. At a typical day at work, I was greeted and asked how I was doing. I enjoyed the freedom i had.
Great job
Senior Biological Scientist (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLApril 8, 2016
Work was great, but sometimes stressful. I guess that's how all jobs are. I'd approve of it. Most definitely. I definitely always most assuredly would.
Great Benefits, Horrible Pay, Horrible Management
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 6, 2016
I have worked here for the past 10 almost 11 years. In that time frame I have had management change hands 5 or 6 times and in each case that has brought new problems. I am unable to grow in the current job I am in because I am here by myself while my boss is on ADA and FMLA leave. He has been out for the past 2 years so all of the groundwork and dealing with people face to face has been up to me. I don't have enough time in a day to deal with everything that comes my way and in turn am always in a constant state of catching up with everything. I have been overall unhappy with this job since about 2011 and it seems to get worse every year.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Stifling interactions with faculty, staff and management
Clinical Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMarch 29, 2016
Absolutely love working for UF! Great opportunities, wonderful management, and amazing group of Doctors I get to work with on a daily basis.

4.3