University of Florida Employee Reviews

Great Place to work at
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 20, 2017
High quality in research, State of the Art laboratories and world renown faculty members. Great oportunities to develop as a researcher and great reputation among other universities.
Low wage and not strong on facilities
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 9, 2017
I loved the students, but there was little money going into the program which resulted in inadequate teaching spaces.

I taught in both the M.F.A. program and the B.A. program. I also published and presented several articles in books and conferences.

See Vita
Pros
Great students
Cons
bad facilities
Awesome boss
HORTICULTURE TECHNICIAN ─ INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJanuary 2, 2017
Nice coworkers and management. Always management took care of me and help me to develop. nice work environment and good learning experience
Pros
knowledge
Cons
insurance
Great people
Control Room Operator (Former Employee) –  Perry, FLDecember 30, 2016
Great people, they tried really hard, but didn't have a clue on industry scale. I really think it could have worked if we could have met in the middle of textbook and reality.
Fun and informative work environment
Undergraduate Lab Assistant/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 27, 2016
Took this position during my undergraduate in order to gain experience, so compensation was not my major focus for this position. I learned a lot and loved all of my coworkers.
Teaching Assistant Review
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 19, 2016
My job as a teaching assistant was very simple, and I had clear instructions from the professor in how to complete the tasks that were given to me. The hard part about the job is the interaction between student and I regarding their grades.
Pros
Working with the Professor
Cons
Student interaction
Research Assistant
Student (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 18, 2016
Unpaid position where I assisted with research in the performance psychology lab at the University of Florida. Learned a lot about basic research methods as well as how to use various computer programs required of our lab.
Inspiring place to work
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 22, 2016
UF is a generally a great place to work. There were a few hickups during the initial hiring. Compensation is appropriate.
Pros
Professional environment.
Cons
Cold office.
Leading and responsibility
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 19, 2016
Team-player, productivity, leading the project, communications with researchers and discussion over scientific projects, publishing research findings in the international communities
Difficult "good old boy's club" environment
Application Developer & Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 10, 2016
After spending enough time at UF, it is apparent that no matter your skill set, you'll never be accepted, trusted, or listened to until you've been at the institution for at least 10 years. People are very closed minded, avoid change wherever possible and don't care to do anything except the minimum effort to keep their paycheck flowing.
Pros
Federal holidays
Cons
Over promised workload
Very secure, decent benefits, but little growth potential and low pay
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 2, 2016
Our department was one of the lowest paying on the campus. Growth potential was quite stagnant because most people stay there for many years or until retirement. Benefits were decent. Leave compensation (Vac/Holiday/Sick) was better than most places, but was being reduced frequently by the director before I left. I loved working with some of my coworkers, and continue to stay in touch with them, but did not work well with others. The campus is beautiful and I enjoyed taking a walk during lunch.
Pros
Leave compensation, job security
Cons
Stagnant advancement, low pay
a good place to work for
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 1, 2016
This is a good place to work for and there are a large range of different positions out there that someone can choose to work for.
State Entity
Compliance Audit Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 28, 2016
Typical state job to work for. Family members are hired and promoted before regular employees. I was lucky to get more certifications but never got more money. Hardest part of the job was Management and them hiring friends.
Pros
State benefits
Cons
Only management and friends made more money
Great benefits
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  College of Medicine, Dean's OfficeOctober 25, 2016
earn 4 weeks of vacation a year and have paid holidays. health benefits are wonderful! worked there for over 20 years until the new manager decided he wanted someone else in the role...unfortunately there is no protection for employees - you are at the mercy of management
Enjoyed working with the public
Help Desk Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 21, 2016
Answering all in coming calls to UF, transferring to proper office or personnel. The most enjoyable part was customer service. The hardest part of the job was no personal interaction with the public except over the phone.
Great professional atmosphere
Fiscal Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 20, 2016
Continuous opportunities for career advancement. Human Resources provides addition comprehensive training programs called PRO3 which offer a great way to move up in the organization.
Pros
Staff Discounts
Cons
Limited sick leave
Great place to start
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 17, 2016
Working for the University of Florida has been a great way to start my work experience. I learned a lot from working there. I would recommend new hires to work for the University.
Academic environment in a nice college town
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAOctober 16, 2016
Your day doesn't start until close to 9:00 am ( a typical Florida life style) which gives you enough time to do your morning exercise, etc... Normally the day is completed by about 5:00 and since the town is small you get to have the rest of your evening for your self. Co-workers usually mind their own business.
I had a wounderful bunch of co-workers
Sr Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 13, 2016
A typical day was to pay invoices. To go in and look at the grants to see if any money needed to be moved. The hardest part was to keep a watch on the grants and to make sure the money was being spent right and if it was not to move the charge to a grant that would support the charge.

I had the best co-workers because everyone was willing to help any where it was needed. there was no It's not my job. It was how can I help.

I learned a lot of how the University works.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers. They made it pleasant to come to work.
Pros
health care, holidays
Cons
parking
Love my workplace and coworkers
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 7, 2016
Excellent workplace all around but can be upgraded in certain areas Such as going paperless and bringing in more income from simple adjustments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Florida. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3