University of Florida

University of Florida Employer Reviews

Relaxing place to work
OPS Assistant (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJanuary 27, 2015
I have been affiliated with the University of Florida on two separate occasions. Currently, I work as an OPS assistant reconciling grants. I have enjoyed being able to improve with working on Excel.
Research Scientist (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJanuary 25, 2015
Great weather and nice people all around the town.There are lots of great restaurants where you can have food from various countries.
Great learning experience
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJanuary 20, 2015
Peer learning has been the important part. Good Management and excellent peers help me to enhance my technical as well as management skills. My role includes managing the admission system and student record information system and developing new web based tools which eases and manages the operations of Department.
Not terrible
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJanuary 15, 2015
UF likes to screw its grad students by assessing colossal fees every semester. However, there is free health insurance for students and a reasonably vibrant intellectual environment.

If you can find a good advisor then you will probably have a decent time in Gainesville, despite it being a cultural backwater.
Very unique job opportunity. I was very pleased with all the skills I learned while working there for 2years
Lab/Field Technician (Former Employee), Wimauma, FLJanuary 14, 2015
Learned a great work ethic.
Very thankful to have had the opportunity to do such a unique job.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the inmates as part of their rehabilitation process
An anti-intellectual University
UF Waldo W. Neikirk Term Professor (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 29, 2014
Pros: not much
Cons: most everything
I've worked here now for 25 years and I've never seen a University go downhill so fast.
Excellent University to study
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 17, 2014
It is excellent University to study, the professors are more professional and knowledgeable.
Good benefits and time off, large variety of positions
Assistant Director (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 8, 2014
UF is a pretty good place to work - hours for most positions are normal (8a-5p), benefits and time off are good and since the University is so huge, you have a large variety of departments/entities to choose from when applying (and moving around job-wise).
Great working environment
Graduate Assistance (Former Employee), FLDecember 6, 2014
Supervisors are willing to help any time. working times are also flexible, you will learnt alot from Professors.
Good level of organisation for teaching such a big course.
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLNovember 26, 2014
Pros: free pizza and drinks during the exams, yeah
Cons: basically none
I was one of 18 TA's for a Stats course that was taught to over 2000 students(per semester). It didn't require more than 10 hours/week:
MWF I would teach one lab(50 minutes), grade all the labs(about 2-3 hours) and had tutoring hours 3 times a week. Plus during exam days each TA had to proctor and take care of their part of students and that was organised pretty smoothly:
- All of the TA's would gather in a room with pizza and drinks;
- Listen to course instructor talking about basic rules of proctoring;
- Each TA leaves to their respective rooms to proctor the exam.

Favorite part of the job - probably the "performance aspect" of teaching labs. Material was not that hard so it was more of a pleasure than a hustle to explain it to students. And it was good to get some teaching experience under the belt.

There was not that many difficulties with that job, grading was a little monotonic, but that's about it.

So overall a pretty balanced environment and a well managed course.
Interesting working environment
Aerobiologist (Current Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 4, 2014
Given the multi-cultural melting pot the University of Florida is, no two days are ever the same. Although the work in general may be within the same classification, the cultural aspect of whom you work with on a day to day basis is what makes working at UF so interesting. The science being performed here is unbelievable but it's the ability you gain from being able to understand the science from different backgrounds and views that makes the experience here.
Place to learn and possibly grow, not long term place.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Archer, FLNovember 3, 2014
Prefer not to rate this work place. Do not reccomend this area to anyone.
Great place to work for motivated professionals
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 29, 2014
Perfect balance of work and fun
Great training and friendly work environment
Exciting and challenging biomedical research lab
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Biomedical Sciences BuildingOctober 28, 2014
A typical day would involve the design and execution of research projects in the area of biomedical engineering. My primary focus was on the DNA transfection of neurons, which involved learning about the areas of genetics and nanotechnology. As the first student in my second lab at UF, I was most often the person to train new students and handle financial and regulatory matters. Experiments would commonly deviate from the expected outcome, sometimes leading to a dead end. My research colleagues were friendly, supportive and knowledgeable, which promoted a productive laboratory environment. that I enjoyed participating in. There were many challenges associated with achieving the goals of individual research projects, with many failures along the path to success. The best part of academic research occurred when an experiment would demonstrate the validity of a hypothesis that was derived from the findings of previous experiments and other researchers.
Great place to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 21, 2014
Great faculty, and state of the art instruments in a great location
Lab Supervisor (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 16, 2014
My coworkers are all great people make UF a great place to work.
I learned a lot by being a teacher
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 13, 2014
I had to teach 3 lab session a week which means 9 hours a week on teaching. Besides, I have to run the experiments before the lab and also prepare my teaching materials and handouts. I enjoyed a lot being a TA and I think I did my best.
Great institution for higher learning
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 12, 2014
I worked for one of the best professors in the chemistry department at the time. The lab had excellent equipment, and my peers and advisors taught me a lot and were quite fun to work with. It was a great experience that provided me the foundation for my career.
Great work environment
Senior Health Support Tech (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 10, 2014
Pros: great environment
Cons: only temporary
I was able to develop my skills in research and work with different individual within healthcare.
Great atmosphere for a student
Graduate Research in Molecular Dynamics (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 7, 2014
Professors are really nice and are vested in making sure you do well

1 2 3 4 5