University of Florida Employee Review

View all University of Florida reviews

Cover Letter
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 7, 2013
4. Data Entry and Basic Computer Skills
Most of my other skills are about dealing with people, but I have some customer service skills that are about things I need to do for the company. In nearly all cases, I was trained to know how to work with some sort of computer program that needs me to record data about my call. Moreover, I can type quickly so that customers do not have to wait, and I do understand the basics of using a computer and software so that I can properly perform my job.
5. Understanding Human Psychology
While everyone is certainly different, there are commonalities among us as human beings. For those who take the time to study at least some basic psychology, the job of helping people over the phone is much easier to do. This can often help me defuse tense situations and anticipate what a customer wants before he or she verbalizes it. I fully acknowledge that this is one of my many skills that can impress customers and my superiors alike. Furthermore, I did take many classes in human psychology as an undergraduate.
6. Basic Acting Skills
The fact is, sometimes in order to maintain professionalism, I know that I am going to have to put on a mask of friendliness and concern. This does not mean I am attempting to deceive anyone for a nefarious purpose as I am naturally a cordial and empathetic individual, but it is important for me to know how to keep my calmness and professionalism in both stressful, problematic, and ambiguous situations. Therefore, even if a customer's malevolent attitude is irritating , it is not appropriate to act irritated. Therefore,
  more... I have basic acting skills that can help me present certain information in a more cheerful and upbeat tone, make sure my body language and facial expressions convey what I mean to say and generally help me to get into the mindset I must be in so that I can do my job well. This skill also helps me to get through various awkward situations, such as staying calm and poise even when I am being insulted by a customer.  less

Other University of Florida Employee Reviews

Educative and interactive workspace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 8, 2017
A typical day at work would start with an exchange of work performed on the previous day as well as ideas to execute for the day between colleagues. Involvement in other's work improved the well-being of the group and helped progress as a whole. The supervisor was friendly and gave full control of the project to the graduate students. This improved our decision-making and time-management skills. Hard days occurred when there were limited progress and creativity. A shift in focus like having a cultural conversation or listening to good music lifted spirits. The most satisfying part of the job was to make good sense of numbers and what they mean. Interpreting results in a creative way opened doors for speculation, experimentation and finally, the production of solid facts.
Pros
Earn valuable contacts at the university and the industry
Cons
Work-life balance
Medical Physicist Special Project (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 7, 2017
I was there only to learn NEW modalities, and development of NEW modalities for clinical usage. I could have stayed there longer but my family did not want to relocate.
Pros
The best Place for research and clinical applications