University of Florida

University of Florida Employee Reviews

Fun working experience
Intern (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedules, nice people
People were very nice and enthusiastic about this field of study. Leaned a lot about urban Entomology and gained more lab experience. Hardest part of the job was the waiting that occurs with these experiments. Most enjoyable was working with insects and talking with coworkers about their interests in Entomology. A typical day was setting up the bioassays in order to conduct the choice test. The experiment had a lot of down time before having to check the mosquitoes so this time would be used to convert data into visual media, like graphs, and complete research papers.
Amazing
Citrus Horticulture Assistant (Former Employee), Immokalee FloridaJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: pay
I loved working here. I learned so much. My bosses were wonderful and they worked with my high school hours. I worked outside in the greenhouses. I only left because i was following my career.
Productive and Respectful Work Place.
Student Assistant Disability and Resource Center (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLJuly 18, 2015
Pros: lunch at desk, flexibility
Cons: short hours, low pay
At my most recent job working as a student assistant at the University of Florida, a typical day at work would require data entry, answering phone call, responding to emails, and deal with time sensitive and personal information. At this job I learned time management and great customer service skills. I also learned how to juggle several task at once, work collaboratively in a team environment, and remain calm under stressful situations.

The work environment was also very pleasant and encouraging.The management provided support and guidance within respective departments and allowed the employees to grow individually with important skills.

The hardest part of the job would be learning to to respond in a timely manner to stressful situations. Helping others achieve their goals and helping the office facilitate smoothly was the most enjoyable part of the job.
A good university
Posdoc Associate (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJuly 8, 2015
It has a beautiful campus with grasslands everywhere.

The employees in College of Medicine are very diligent in their work and try their best to generate reliable research data.
Top 10 Higher Education
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Great health benefits
Cons: So much turmoil within the university, regulations changed daily
Fast paced, diverse and required multi tasking with priority on a daily basis. Learned keen management skills with continuing education always available. Worked mainly independently but supported faculty and staff on many levels as well as Assistant to the Director. Soft money funded so all faculty and staff funding was paid my grants and contracts. I main responsibility was grant budgeting and proposal submissions. Had a lot of red tape but that is expected and even normal in an educational setting.
Productive Workplace.
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJuly 5, 2015
Good coworkers, and good management. Fun, productive environment. Flexible hours. Moving up can be difficult and take time, but overall the job was fun and exciting.
a good place to work if you want to live in Gainesville
Database Administrator (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLJune 27, 2015
Good job for a few years after you graduate, after that there isn't much (if any) opportunities for technical advancement. Opportunities for advancement are geared towards management. Seems that the majority of the people who work at UF at non-academic positions have either recently graduated and want to stay in Gainesville for a few years, or are going to soon retire. There aren't many people in between.
Productive and fun place
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJune 25, 2015
Productive with supportive management with a great technical team. Room to grow and improve technically and an amazing workforce
Fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLJune 24, 2015
Pros: Nice work atmosphere
Cons: Low paid
It's very productive work.
Nice work environment.
There are a lot of work can be done using expertise.
Professors take our suggestions for improvement of reactor design.
Amazing
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLJune 10, 2015
Pros: You meet a lot of people
Cons: No spring break
This was the best experience I have ever had in life. The opportunity to represent such a great institution and visit high schools all around the state of Florida is immeasurable. I love everything about this job
Very rewarding and a satisfied feeling of accomplishment of helping families even doing phone calls.
Medical Secretary/Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 8, 2015
Pros: Making someone smile.
Cons: Family Wait list
Working at University of Florida with children with Autism and related disability is a challenge and rewarding experience. The family that we serve are so appreciative of the work we do for their children.
Although it maybe a long waiting list to see patients we involve the families in other services and activities to help with the distress with their children.
overall a good experience
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT (Current Employee), Gainesville,FlJune 7, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: fill they need to broaden their thinking
interaction between donors and colleges within the University to coordinate all fundraising activity. Continue to grow my portfolio to maximize my fundraising efforts.
Not UF, UF Housing
Network Administration Asst for UF Housing (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJune 3, 2015
When I started here, I thought I was getting my foot in the door at UF, As it turned out, I got my foot in the door at UF Housing, a completely separate entity who's IT dept has long been trying to stave off a takeover from UFIT. My first gig here had a job description that was WAY more technical than the job actually was. What sounded like a Jr Netowrk Admin job turned out to be L1 Helpdesk. It allowed me to get into an actual JrAdmin position where I'm doing my boss' old job for half the pay. The rest of the job is great but the pay is laughably low for some positions while right on point for others. Want the responsibility of a SysAdmin with the pay of helpdesk? Apply for my job! I'm trying to get out of here.
This is an excellent, productive work environment.
Florida (Current Employee), FloridaJune 2, 2015
This is an excellent, productive work environment. Coworkers are friendly and motivated. Supervisors demand excellence, but bring out the best in their employees.
Hostile work environment, but not the entire university.
Admissions Officer (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLMay 29, 2015
Pros: The distinction that follows the name
Cons: Hostile work environment
Typical day is interacting with current and prospective freshman via phone and in person. Learned to not trust anyone. Management is lacking and co-workers are highly unprofessional. Hardest part of the job is interacting with the co-workers, best part is meeting and speaking with excited prospective families.
Working in an environment that has inconsistent leadership at the school level
Supervising Instructor (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLMay 28, 2015
Pros: students
Cons: poor leadership and delegation at the school level
The most enjoyable part of my job was my students. What I have learned is to go with the flow, administration at my school was very inconsistent and indecisive. it sent myself and co-workers into a state of "survival of the fittest." The most difficult part of my job was the fact that instructors needs were not met nor that instructors had input. Administration stated "assume good will and transparency" but it was far from it. I learned to look at the positives each day and to be the best teacher for my students than I can be despite the difficult environment at this school.
Great Learning Experience
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLMay 21, 2015
This lab was more clinical based and worked with cognitive behavioral therapy techniques on mostly adolescent patients. The experience was rewarding and taught me a lot about the therapy techniques we were studying. All in all it was a good learning experience but I am looking for more lab-based research.
very good place for research.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLMay 18, 2015
very good place for research.

very good team work.

reasonable work time.

brilliant scientist group.

very good place to learn.
Productive and highly functioning multifaceted environment.
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLMay 14, 2015
• Worked with customers in various inside and outside agencies and hospitals to resolve differences and to insure procedures (radioactive implants, surgical therapeutics, external beam radiation), and other therapies were completed without incident.
Related well to/and supervised an administrative pool of 4 people.
Knowledge of office procedures and practices and hospital/clinic policies.
Proficient in Medical Terminology.

The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the different personalities of our customer base and the great team moral of my coworkers.

Everyday was a learning experience as you never knew what challenges would present themselves.
Review of UF
Accountant (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLMay 13, 2015
Pros: Flexible Work Schedule
Cons: Hard to advance in College of Medicine
I have worked at UF off and on since 1992 for a cumulative total of 20 years. It is a great company to work for but I feel as if I have plateaued. In my current area there is no growth opportunity. My work has doubled since I began in my current position three years ago and my job description does not accurately reflect my duties. Overall UF is a great place to work with great benefits and leave time.

1 2 3 4 5

IT
$49,788 per year

University of Florida Photos

Me with Albert & Alberta at graduation
Me, working at the Gel Electrophoresis station.
Gator Baseball