University of Florida Employee Reviews in United States

Great University to work for
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 13, 2015
Nice working environment with lots of extra curricular activities to do. Great professors and working staff in general. Overall nice place to work as a graduate student. Good pay too and health insurance covered.
Fun working experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 21, 2015
People were very nice and enthusiastic about this field of study. Leaned a lot about urban Entomology and gained more lab experience. Hardest part of the job was the waiting that occurs with these experiments. Most enjoyable was working with insects and talking with coworkers about their interests in Entomology. A typical day was setting up the bioassays in order to conduct the choice test. The experiment had a lot of down time before having to check the mosquitoes so this time would be used to convert data into visual media, like graphs, and complete research papers.
Pros
Flexible schedules, nice people
Great work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 29, 2015
Working at the LAKEWATCH laboratory at University of Florida I learned a great deal of people skills and interactions. This is a volunteer based program and they will call you at any time of the day. I enjoyed teaching water quality parameters and helping one understand. Every employee is a hard working and this company is very family orientated.
Pros
Very supporting
University setting for hands on design
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 14, 2015
The University of Florida offers good opportunities for engineering students to gain real world / hands on experience to work on real engineering problems both as students and employees.
Great university for career advancement and networking
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 26, 2015
UF is great in terms of networking opportunity and for career advancement. For a job seeker, it is one of the great public institutions to be graduated from.
Great and Fun place to work
Customer Service Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 18, 2015
Very secure place to work. Good management and lots of room for advancement. They really do take good care of their employees.
Pros
Exciting and Challenging
Cons
8 hours from my family
School
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 3, 2015
Exciting place to work and go to school. Good place to learn more about whatever you are passionate about. Would recommend it to other people.
Top 10 Higher Education
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 6, 2015
Fast paced, diverse and required multi tasking with priority on a daily basis. Learned keen management skills with continuing education always available. Worked mainly independently but supported faculty and staff on many levels as well as Assistant to the Director. Soft money funded so all faculty and staff funding was paid my grants and contracts. I main responsibility was grant budgeting and proposal submissions. Had a lot of red tape but that is expected and even normal in an educational setting.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
So much turmoil within the university, regulations changed daily
a good place to work if you want to live in Gainesville
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 27, 2015
Good job for a few years after you graduate, after that there isn't much (if any) opportunities for technical advancement. Opportunities for advancement are geared towards management. Seems that the majority of the people who work at UF at non-academic positions have either recently graduated and want to stay in Gainesville for a few years, or are going to soon retire. There aren't many people in between.
Learning Environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 9, 2015
This position was at first a volunteer position I work with a graduate student for a year and a half then I needed some help to pay for classes and my professor helped me to pay for them. I would calibrate flowmeters, build frames and record data from experiments conducted.
excillent
Breast Surgical Oncology Nurse Navigator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 16, 2015
Supportive environment, multidisciplinary teams working together for common goal.

Location is near down town and private or public transportation is utilized.
Good local university
Summer Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Shalimar, FLOctober 7, 2015
It is a good local university with a lot of influence at local area. The engineering departments has a lot of connection with local companies. But lack strong research resource.
Very good work environmet.
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Financial aid departmentOctober 20, 2015
Excellent work place. Very conducive to enhancing work skills. Learned all facets of student loan programs.Excellent co-workers and top of the line Institution.
Very rewarding and a satisfied feeling of accomplishment of helping families even doing phone calls.
Medical Secretary/Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 8, 2015
Working at University of Florida with children with Autism and related disability is a challenge and rewarding experience. The family that we serve are so appreciative of the work we do for their children.
Although it maybe a long waiting list to see patients we involve the families in other services and activities to help with the distress with their children.
Pros
Making someone smile.
Cons
Family Wait list
Incredible benefits, decent pay, great students, poor politics
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 3, 2016
UF is an amazing employer. The benefits are unbeatable. Decent pay depending on the department you work in. The structure allows for amazing growth opportunities. The only problem is the political/management aspect. Depending on your department management you can still run into the same unhealthy toxic environment you see in corporate America just with a little more job security. UF wants to avoid lawsuits and negative images so they have to at least abide by some moral values, however, if you do run into issues things aren't necessarily going to be resolved. HR only "recommends" actions, it falls on the next in the hierarchy to actually decide how to handle it and that can often mean its ignored. Hopefully as the poor leadership moves out, they will be replaced with actual good leaders. President Fuchs seems nice but not happy with the state approved low 1.5% raises which have now been pushed back to January instead of 3-4% beginning with the fiscal year as they used to. Aside from that, UF is better than most other employers out there due to all the perks and the exciting environment of working with great students.
Pros
Great work/life balance. A true 8-5. High growth potential. Movement within structure.
Cons
Middle and upper management do not necessarily support the feel good best practices they preach, If you have an issue you might as well transfer to another department in many cases.
Not UF, UF Housing
Network Administration Asst for UF Housing (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 3, 2015
When I started here, I thought I was getting my foot in the door at UF, As it turned out, I got my foot in the door at UF Housing, a completely separate entity who's IT dept has long been trying to stave off a takeover from UFIT. My first gig here had a job description that was WAY more technical than the job actually was. What sounded like a Jr Netowrk Admin job turned out to be L1 Helpdesk. It allowed me to get into an actual JrAdmin position where I'm doing my boss' old job for half the pay. The rest of the job is great but the pay is laughably low for some positions while right on point for others. Want the responsibility of a SysAdmin with the pay of helpdesk? Apply for my job! I'm trying to get out of here.
Working in an environment that has inconsistent leadership at the school level
Supervising Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was my students. What I have learned is to go with the flow, administration at my school was very inconsistent and indecisive. it sent myself and co-workers into a state of "survival of the fittest." The most difficult part of my job was the fact that instructors needs were not met nor that instructors had input. Administration stated "assume good will and transparency" but it was far from it. I learned to look at the positives each day and to be the best teacher for my students than I can be despite the difficult environment at this school.
Pros
students
Cons
poor leadership and delegation at the school level
Hostile work environment, but not the entire university.
Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 29, 2015
Typical day is interacting with current and prospective freshman via phone and in person. Learned to not trust anyone. Management is lacking and co-workers are highly unprofessional. Hardest part of the job is interacting with the co-workers, best part is meeting and speaking with excited prospective families.
Pros
The distinction that follows the name
Cons
Hostile work environment
Supportive and challanging
Senior Biological Scientist (Former Employee) –  UFAugust 21, 2015
Great co-workers, managers/supervisors

HR department needs work but par for the course at large institutions

Great benefits

easy commute

large active community
good work/life balance
Pros
flexible
Cons
parking
AWESOME Workplace
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 24, 2015
I was about to help past, current, future students at the University of Florida. Also, I was about to assist Faculty & Staff too. I had one of the best Supervisors. I enjoyed my co-workers!!!
Pros
Staff Development
Cons
Office Setup

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Florida. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3