University of Florida

University of Florida Employer Reviews

Rescpectable place for an internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: good experience, hands on experience with patients, easy hours
Cons: hard to get good letter of recommendation due to absent supervisor
Typical day would consist of greeting subjects, setting up EECP machine and strapping subjects in, calling and scheduling new subjects, taking medical histories of subjects, assisting PhD students with drawing blood, pipetting blood and spinning it, labeling and freezing plasma samples. There is a lot of down time in this internship. While the PhD students – more... were ok to work with, the supervising PhD is usually absent and is not aware of your day-to-day activities. This makes it difficult to obtain a good letter of recommendation after the internship. – less
Working at an event venue was very exciting.
Assistant Business Manager (Former Employee), Gainesville, FlFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: free concerts, sports, fundraisers
Cons: very long hours, no appreciation for dedicated work ethics.
My over all experience of working with the University of Florida was very enjoyable and educational. I was able to to advance my positions and received excellent training and knowledge. The management aspect within the departments is a bit on the rough side and the Administrators should have more training in how to manage people.
Nice working environment with reliable coworkers
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 23, 2013
A typical day at work includes a nice cup of coffee at 7:40 AM, checking my email and follow my daily "to do list' of things. At the UF-RI-4 lab where I work has a postdoc, the co-workers and colleagues are great and very reliable. Like every research related job, it can be hard when the method you are trying is not working. In our lab the learning – more... opportunities are great because we have colleagues with diverse backgrounds. We all learn from each other. The management is great, the boss always provide doughnuts on Fridays!! – less
Cover Letter
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 7, 2013
4. Data Entry and Basic Computer Skills
Most of my other skills are about dealing with people, but I have some customer service skills that are about things I need to do for the company. In nearly all cases, I was trained to know how to work with some sort of computer program that needs me to record data about my call. Moreover, I can type quickly so – more... that customers do not have to wait, and I do understand the basics of using a computer and software so that I can properly perform my job.
5. Understanding Human Psychology
While everyone is certainly different, there are commonalities among us as human beings. For those who take the time to study at least some basic psychology, the job of helping people over the phone is much easier to do. This can often help me defuse tense situations and anticipate what a customer wants before he or she verbalizes it. I fully acknowledge that this is one of my many skills that can impress customers and my superiors alike. Furthermore, I did take many classes in human psychology as an undergraduate.
6. Basic Acting Skills
The fact is, sometimes in order to maintain professionalism, I know that I am going to have to put on a mask of friendliness and concern. This does not mean I am attempting to deceive anyone for a nefarious purpose as I am naturally a cordial and empathetic individual, but it is important for me to know how to keep my calmness and professionalism in both stressful, problematic, and ambiguous situations. Therefore, even if a customer's malevolent attitude is irritating , it is not appropriate to act irritated. Therefore, I have basic acting skills that can help me present certain information in a more cheerful and upbeat tone, make sure my body language and facial expressions convey what I mean to say and generally help me to get into the mindset I must be in so that I can do my job well. This skill also helps me to get through various awkward situations, such as staying calm and poise even when I am being insulted by a customer. – less
Young leading the young
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 1, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: low compensation
Great atmosphere with staff. Lots of opportunity to interact with all levels of management. Engages regularly to maintain high level of satisfaction with employees.
Good enivronment good hours
Department Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLNovember 28, 2013
Good hours and people. I worked in the research department so the professors were very flexible with hours.
Excellent
Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, MD (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 23, 2013
Pros: excellent university
Excellent place to work in university setting
like bonuses
like co workers
productive and good place to work
Ambulatory Clinic Manager (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLOctober 27, 2013
Pros: work hours
Cons: pay
typical day at work to ensure the staff is accounted for, phyisican schedules are reviewed to ensure the diagnosis is correct for that clinic, the hardest part of the job is working under staffed. The most enjoyable part is my day is a satisfied patient
Free workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 26, 2013
As any small city company it was no different. Still love it as it is the first company I worked in.
Great place to learn and work!
Internship (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 21, 2013
Great place to advance in both academia and in a career. People can be a little cold though.
University of Florida
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 16, 2013
The University of Florida is an ideal place to pursue a career. It is located in Gainesville, FL, a charming town amidst beautiful North Florida nature.
Productive working environment
Research Administrator I (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 1, 2013
Work in a very team oriental environment. Get alone great with co-workers. Hardest part of my current job is growth.
Small department with open communication between divisions
IT Expert (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: a very robust benefits and retirement package, and generous leave / sick time allocations.
Cons: confusion created by it resources being handled by at least three separate departments
As an IT professional, the day began early with a check on the health of the in-office file, database and web servers, the nightly backups and the overall network health.

Daily tasks involved responding to desktop support requests, evaluating and ordering new hardware and software, collaborating with Information Security personnel regarding audits, – more... and assisting with the implementation of any major IT projects (such as web-site development, CME course testing, IT technical support to clients, etc.).

Through the mentoring of the previous IT Systems Programmer / Analyst, much was learned about the unique networking and IT needs of the Self-Insurance Program, and how it complemented or contrasted with other University departments. Additional Linux server-management, Group Policy manipulation and database interaction skills were gained or refined.

Associate Directors were, for the most part, knowledgeable and helpful, often taking a more direct role than managers normally do. Co-workers were friendly and willing to lend, or accept, assistance. Many co-workers knew each other outside of the office, creating a sort of extended family atmosphere.

The most difficult part of the job would be attempting to maintain aging equipment, and attempting to acquire new equipment under very strict budget constraints, as well as State-mandated budget cuts.

The most enjoyable part of the job normally came after a particularly difficult, or long-standing, problem was evaluated and overcome. Seeing a co-worker smile and be able to return to work without being hampered by glitches or insufficient resources was quite fulfilling. – less
Lab Assistant
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLSeptember 13, 2013
A personal experience of lab research environment.
Everyone was very helpful.
Hardest part is the initial learning curve.
I enjoyed learning more about the scientific community.
Great College Job
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: it had to end
I had a lot of fun at this job. I was given a list of duties and was able to accomplish them with out much supervision; it was a very independent role in the lab and a great learning experience.
Work with others your own age
OPS Employee (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLAugust 30, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: grant funded
Depending on the department enjoy working with people who are always looking for friends
Great place to work and great people to work for
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLAugust 28, 2013
Pros: fun and intresting place to work
Cons: the pay wasn't great
Learned a lot from very smart people. Easy work watering plants in greenhouses. Field work and labwork. Great people to work with.
Typical government job
Alumni Fellow (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLAugust 27, 2013
Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated – more... and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department.Unmotivated and unproductive department. – less
Excellent, dependable University to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLAugust 19, 2013
I worked for UF for 15 years and am proud to be a part of the University of Florida team and alumni. UF is an excellent place to work for, no matter what college or department you apply to.
Educational
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee), Gainesville, FloridaAugust 18, 2013
Working in medical environment was fascination. Learned so much about the human body and behavior. Liked helping people to get well.