University of Hartford

University of Hartford Employer Reviews

Full-time Paid Internship
Facilities Department Summer Intern (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTMarch 10, 2015
As a full-time paid intern reporting to the Senior Project Manager, on a daily basis, I was responsible for a variety of tasks related to project management. These responsibilities included documenting existing conditions, using AutoCAD to create a variety of office designs, observing and taking notes of the multiple renovation projects taking place on campus. Among my multiple responsibilities, I measured existing conditions in various office suites, and then developed and proposed layouts for where different departments would be moved. I used AutoCAD to create the various layouts, and then experimented with ways to fit existing furniture in the new spaces. The most challenging part of the job was when the office occupants wanted a different layout than what was planned and budgeted. With numerous renovation projects taking place on the campus during those two summers, I was able to get extensive experience on the job sites. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job was being able to see the renovation projects come together from start to finish.
Great place but very demanding
Athletic Facility and Event Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), West Hartford, CTFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: close knit department
Cons: long hours and demands
University of Hartford is a great place to work, especially in athletics. Working with the staff who share the same passion for sports is exciting. Putting on an athletic event from start to finish is great to see...putting in the long hours to make an event run smoothly from an operational stand point.
I had productive time during the tutoring sessions
Tutor for Engineering Mechanics (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: free events
Cons: food court
I met with my tutees individually at the school's library to help them understand what they learned in class. I tried to review what their professor taught them in class first then I let them solve some questions by themselves after I worked with them on a question. I love seeing my tutees when they are able to understand the topic well and work on problems with confident.
I have to plan ahead for the tutoring sessions to not interfere with my class and school projects; I have learned how to manage my time from working at the University of Hartford as a tutor.
Productive and fun Place
Graduate assistant (Current Employee), Hartford, CTJanuary 13, 2015
I work as graduate assistant in the Sports Department of University of Hartford. It is a Productive and fun Place to work in the Athletics department of University of Hartford. Lot of people during sports day. Its a fun to work there
Great Learning Experience
Intern Analyst in Budget/Financial Affairs (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTDecember 22, 2014
An unpaid internship, that was mainly fueled to gain more knowledge of financial analysis and budget analysis techniques. Was satisfactory in teaching me different analytical software and techniques to better myself in the finance world. Sadly, as an unpaid internship it was not an ideal atmosphere. Environment is very independent, and teamwork is not stressed. Management structure is not well defined.
Highly supportive atmosphere
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTDecember 9, 2014
Pros: highly engaged professionals who care
Cons: parking situation
The University of Hartford is a great place to learn and work. Due to its small size, it is easy to meet people and develop long lasting friendships and contacts. The school is highly accommodating to adult learners and offers many avenues for advancement in learning.The best part of the job was being able to use my creativity on a daily basis and to have a great support network in place encouraging me to reach all my goals.
Got to preform in the late night dining hall once a week, a lot of fun, really helped my band the Skunks get comfortable with gigging.
Student Performer (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTAugust 12, 2014
Preformed weekly paid gigs at the student union center in the band The Skunks after winning battle of the bands. The gigs were provided through the Student Campus Activities Team and consisted of setup of sound equipment and performance.
Experience as a Graduate Assistant in the Barney School of Buisness
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), West Hartford, CTJuly 23, 2014
Pros: the amount of hours
Cons: the lack of benefits/compensations
Typical day at work involves heavy administrative duties. As a person that covers the front desk while having to continue working on my MSAT and/or MBA projects it can be a bit challenging but I am able to meet my tasks effectively and efficiently.
I've acquired an exceptional proficiency working with Microsoft Office applications as well as how to frame a project so that I may produce the best possible result and deliver on time. I've always developed my organizational and time management skills tremendously.
The management within this school is difficult to speak on because I don't see that side mostly. I do know that we have high turnover but it isn't as result of a poor business culture so I can safely say that management does a good job for the most part.
My co-workers are within my age bracket which makes the days more enjoyable and they are very friendly, professional and flexible.
The hardest part of my job was juggling many projects at once but I've since developed skills that help me do my job well and get the job done.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the small office in which everyone knows each other well. We are very transparent with one another which allows the days to pass by smoothly while working as a team.
i was a Lab Enginner there
Lab Engineer (Former Employee), Hartford, CTJune 10, 2014
I was working with electronics equipment and labs, I was teaching undergraduate students for their electrical and electronic labs,
Productive environment
Lab Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), West Hartford, CTMay 27, 2014
A typical day at work: I would come in early to unlock the drawers for the students and set up the lab. Then I would walk the students through the experiment, let them know of specific safety hazards then they would do the lab and I would walk around checking up on them.
great people great place
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTMay 23, 2014
its a terrific place to learn the tricks of the trade, they are very inclined to teach you the employee as well as the student
Intimate learning experience
Student Researcher (Former Employee), West HartfordMay 15, 2014
A lot of freedom to decide the direction you want to take

your project. Assistance from an advisor with a PHD and

significant industry experience is always promptly available.
Work Study Job
Computer Lab Monitor- Engineering Department (Current Employee), West Hartford, CTMay 9, 2014
• Open and close computer lab on time.
• Maintain cleanliness of workspace.
• Set up desktop’s for incoming students.
Not a bad experience
Preceptor (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTMay 7, 2014
Precepting offered many unique challenges and allowed me to develop my leadership, public speaking, and organizational abilities.
Bloated Administrative salaries
Professor (Current Employee), West Hartford, CTApril 22, 2014
Pros: med size private university
Cons: low faculty salaries
Faculty salaries are way below market, almost 30% below compared to similar Universities.
high energy, enthusiastic workplace
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee), Hartford, CTFebruary 12, 2014
This job was very fun because I got a chance to help kids improve their basketball skills on a fundamental level, and also show them real team work.
Productive and active enviroment working with fun people
Graduate Admission Assistant (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: free seminar pass
Cons: health care
Nice environment.Friendly management people.
fair compensation.
Flexible work hour
An establishment of higher educational
Student Administrative Service Center (SASC) (Former Employee), Hartford, CTJanuary 16, 2014
The knowledge I acquired over my four years at the University changed me as a person. It broadened my horizons and expanded my thought process. The work environment was amazing, and the Doctorates that taught me were intelligent beyond my understanding. They seemed to possess a knowledge of everything. I learned quickly and efficiently, the intricacies of biology and chemistry in a way that was geared towards me.
Great environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTJanuary 12, 2014
Great atmosphere to work in. The academia is very great to be a part of and the work environment was very balanced. There was proper guidance and opportunities for personal growth.
Productive and Conservative work environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), West Hartford, CTSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: encourages networking, ethics and liberalism
Cons: short breaks, health care.
A typical day at work is interesting. Everyone basically knows what is expected of them and this allows for a productive work environment.

My job has improved on my communication skills and along side exposed me to some news ideas and work culture in the american environment, which seems to be more liberal yet productive.

The management functions with an open door policy, which encourages mutual respect and courteously welcomes opinions and suggestions from employees. collectively is highly emphasized.

My co-workers are a combination of graduate students like me and also full time university staff, they are pretty supportive, nice and yet focused. it is entirely a wonderful experience working with such amazing people. It feels as though i am part of one big family.

The hardest part of my job is getting accustomed to some of the new softwares that i have to work with. I am making remarkable progress so far with those.

I enjoy every part of my job and work environment. However, the most enjoyable part for me is the flexibility. Being a graduate student, flexibility is very important to me. I appreciate the fact that I am able to work for hours that fit perfectly into my class schedule, thereby creating a balance and giving me more study time.