University of Hawaii Employee Reviews

Consultant Trainer
Associate Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIMay 15, 2017
Pleasant to work in the Islands on one contract to present my course Women Who Run from Computers. Class was very well received.

They asked me back to train their trainers. But they pay was low and they could not pay my travel, or expenses. That made further contracting with U of Hawaii financially burdensome and unrealistic unfortunately.
Pros
Loved helping empower multi-cultural women
Cons
Low pay. Could not build on the program.
Great experience working and living in Hawaii
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 9, 2017
As Assistant Director of the Leisure Center I worked with students and staff to create and promote non credit educational and recreation programs in the Hawaii. Activities consisted of Hawaiian Cultural and educational programs, water based activities, island trips, leadership programs and movie series.
Pros
fun, exciting and laid back experience working with locals
Cons
cost of living
Nice place to work if you have a good manager
IT Specialist (Security Admin) (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 3, 2017
As higher education, there is a need to be "open" but attempt to be secure. Yes, this can almost be seen as an oxymoron.

Unfortunately, moving forward is difficult with poor management.
Friendly environment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HIApril 16, 2017
I appreciate my workplace and colleagues. I learn many of the work done in the workplace. We have good employees interactions. We communicate to find and solve problems. One of the hardest part of the job is showing to work on time despite being late from commuting from home and after class. Overall, I love my job.
Pros
manage my own time between classes
Itʻs ok
Bookstore Employee/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  HIApril 5, 2017
The bookstore is a stressful Job for college students. It feels like itʻs ok but, they just schedule you in-between classes and they expect you to work the bookstore before you have your schoolwork done.
Good Food and Good Price
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  HawaiiMarch 30, 2017
This lunch wagon close down couple years ago due to relocation. However, it was a friendly lunch wagon, food is good, price is reasonable. I wish I can move it to here.
Fun place to work!
Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIFebruary 18, 2017
I had the pleasure of meeting many people from all over the world. It was nice to stay in shape. This was one of the most beautiful fitness facilities that I have ever worked at as a Fitness Trainer. I loved teaching yoga and taking yoga classes from other fitness trainers. The students like to work out at the Campus fitness center to relieve stress. It was a very positive experience for me.
Pros
Fun and exciting place.
Cons
Not enough hours
Challenging and rewardiing
Hilo, Jr. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIFebruary 11, 2017
Great place to work with very friendly and supportive co-workers. The work is challenging but personally rewarding. The hours can be long but well worth it in the end.
It was fun and educational
Audio & Visual Student Technician (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HI 96720January 29, 2017
Working at the University of Hawaii in Hilo was fun and educational because I didn't have any previous experience and every time there is a troubleshooting with the technologies such as projectors, I get to learn more about them.
Pros
Learning new things everyday
Cons
Sometimes there is too much work to handle in one day
Life as a GA
Spanish Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 28, 2017
As a teaching assistant I had the opportunity to teach one section and have the freedom to create my own lesson plans and graded assessments. It is a great opportunity for graduate assistants to learn how to become effective teachers and instructors. The hours are great but the compensation could be improved.
Pros
Stipend, number of hours per week
Cons
Small stipend
OK job but hard to get extra hours
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 17, 2017
This job is alright and chill. Management has become more strict over time. Sometimes students can be very rude. Don't work during finals week. It will be very busy.
Pros
Decent pay for college student, easy scheduling
Cons
rude students, strict mgt
Structured course plan.
Transmission Engineering Team Member (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 19, 2016
Worked with a team of engineering students to build and design a Baja vehicle with capabilities to traverse all road conditions. Organized and planned weekly meetings with group members to stay on schedule with the completion of the Baja vehicle to participate in a national competition. Also worked to build a working transmission for the vehicle and collaborate with other component teams to bring the whole system design together.
Great School
Oyster technician (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIAugust 27, 2016
I learned about agriculture practices, marine biology and aquaculture.
Took many labs to solidify my classroom experiences. I feel very confident to display my abilities for a future employer.
Pros
Good educational experience
Cons
Could have had more job opportunities with the university
Watching the UH Games
Men's Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 25, 2016
The best part about working at the UH athletics department is being able to watch a lot of the games at the same view as the players. For instance, I was able to watch the NCAA playoffs on the floor of the UH gym in 2012.
Pros
Free Game Pass
Cons
Low Pay Long Hours
I enjoyed my time at University of Hawaii during my work there
Visitor Scholar (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 28, 2016
I was a visitor scholar over the course of 4 month at University of Hawaii. I was in charge of the lab. I enjoyed working with people there and specifically my supervisor.
Flexible work schedules
BUSINESS OFFICE STUDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Kahului, HIJune 1, 2016
Supervisors are very flexible with student assistant work schedules and students school schedules. You are basically promised your 20 hours each week assuming you work the schedule your supervisor sets for you.
Pros
flexible
Cons
No benefits
working with customers
Clerk Typist IV (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed working with students and parents. I help them with their loans, grants and scholarships. I need to know the federal policies and procedures. I get along well with my coworkers. We all work together to get things done
Masters
Piano Teacher and Accompanist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 9, 2016
I have got a master's degree in piano performance. I loved it there, I learned a lot from many talented teachers. It was really a great time there.
Fun Challenging
Teacher/Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Pearl City, HI 96782February 20, 2016
Helping students is always fun, I think this stems from enjoying teaching others. Their creativity is always fresh and poses new challenges when trying to assist them to complete projects.
Pros
Fun, Challengeing
Fun workplace
Student Assistant/Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 28, 2016
I learned how to do team building and be able to work with a big group of workers. Being able to balance work and school was a challenge.
Cons
Short breaks