University of Hawaii Employee Reviews in United States

Watching the UH Games
Men's Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 25, 2016
The best part about working at the UH athletics department is being able to watch a lot of the games at the same view as the players. For instance, I was able to watch the NCAA playoffs on the floor of the UH gym in 2012.
Pros
Free Game Pass
Cons
Low Pay Long Hours
I enjoyed my time at University of Hawaii during my work there
Visitor Scholar (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 28, 2016
I was a visitor scholar over the course of 4 month at University of Hawaii. I was in charge of the lab. I enjoyed working with people there and specifically my supervisor.
Flexible work schedules
BUSINESS OFFICE STUDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Kahului, HIJune 1, 2016
Supervisors are very flexible with student assistant work schedules and students school schedules. You are basically promised your 20 hours each week assuming you work the schedule your supervisor sets for you.
Pros
flexible
Cons
No benefits
working with customers
Clerk Typist IV (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed working with students and parents. I help them with their loans, grants and scholarships. I need to know the federal policies and procedures. I get along well with my coworkers. We all work together to get things done
Masters
Piano Teacher and Accompanist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 9, 2016
I have got a master's degree in piano performance. I loved it there, I learned a lot from many talented teachers. It was really a great time there.
Fun Challenging
Teacher/Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Pearl City, HI 96782February 20, 2016
Helping students is always fun, I think this stems from enjoying teaching others. Their creativity is always fresh and poses new challenges when trying to assist them to complete projects.
Pros
Fun, Challengeing
Fun workplace
Student Assistant/Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 28, 2016
I learned how to do team building and be able to work with a big group of workers. Being able to balance work and school was a challenge.
Cons
Short breaks
Work was never boring
student worker (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 24, 2016
Every shift I delivered important documents to various parts of campus. Tasks were typical of an office job, but I learned how to handle invoices, work copying machines, and also had time to study or finish homework during down times.
Welcoming and friendly environment
Community Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 22, 2015
Working in the residence halls is about interacting with residents and creating positive relationships. The work is balanced, simple, and enjoyable.
Community Outreach
Executive Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIOctober 4, 2015
Serving the underserved, working with the homeless population as well as serving the Micronesian, Marshallese population.
Pros
Serving those that need help
Fun place
Fiscal Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 2, 2015
Provided full range of fiscal/budgetary support services in the University of Hawaii financial management systems such as Kuali, eTravel, RCUH, UHF, ORS and more. Assured all the expenses were processed in accordance with grants and contracts agreements and amendments whether privately or government funded. Prepared and issued fiscal related documentation such as purchase requisitions, purchase orders, soul source purchases, requests for quotations, check requests, and travel requests in compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Performed monthly reconciliations and annual closings of multiple accounts/projects.
Research lab technician
Lab Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIAugust 2, 2015
I was basically left unsupervised with basic instructions concerning experimental design. I did learn about lab management and how a small academic research lab operates.
Exciting and fun place to work
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIJuly 29, 2015
Working as a Group Fitness Instructor for University of Hawaii at Hilo was the single best work experience I've had yet. I was given freedom to make decisions about my class and compensated quite well. Scheduling was incredibly flexible and allowed me to have ample time for class, studying and personal life time.
Pros
Staff are incredibly friendly and management is near always available to hear concerns.
Cons
Floor tends to get slippery through the course of classes, Fitness rooms could do with non slip surfaces.
Chinese lecturer
Ph.D student and Chinese Lecturer (Current Employee) –  University of Hawaii at ManoaJune 3, 2015
The teaching experience I got from UHM includes formulating lesson plans, designing classroom activities, tutorial, and evaluating students’ progress. I felt very encouraged and confident with my teaching skills and my students commented on my evaluation forms that “you are the best teacher and we all love you.” I truly believe that all these experiences will be valuable for my future studies, graduate research, as well as Chinese teaching.
Very intellectual environment.
Student Administrator of Network Operations (Former Employee) –  Network Operations, University of HawaiiMay 28, 2015
Excellent place to learn an grow professionally and intellectually. You are in an environment where research and development of astronomy-based technology is predominant. Technology is always changing to meet the needs of astronomers.
Pros
Astronomy-based research and development is new and fresh.
Cons
Student pay was low.
Uhm
Manoa - Graduate Specialist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 26, 2015
There are opportunities to succeed here, but they are only fleeting. Many stay only temporarily until they can find something elsewhere, but I suppose that is the standard nowadays.
On your Way to Success
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIMay 20, 2015
I enjoyed my time there are UH Hilo, but my job was always temporary. I never had any benefits as an emergency/casual hire. I learned a lot at UH Hilo, which prepared me for my current job. Loved being able to helps students. The hardest part was being unsure about when I'd be let go.
Good research university
Student assistant researcher (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 26, 2015
A typical day at work would be organizing lab materials, cleaning up equipment that has been left out, repairing microscopes, running DNA extractions, PCR, and gel electrophoresis. There are some days were plasmids are incubated in agar or fluorescence microscopy is used to visualize fly phenotypes.

I learned a lot of valuable lab experience and proper aseptic technique in the lab. As well as what to do in case something went wrong.

The management was my academic advisor and was really nice and helpful and my coworkers were fellow graduate or undergraduate students. Majority had their own projects or were an extension of the PI's project. We would come together for weekly meetings to discuss what we have worked on, ask questions, and contribute ideas for each others projects.

Most enjoyable part of the job was everyone was there to help each other when help was needed.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Had to graduate and leave
Hawaii Education Teaching and Cultural Exchange
Professor of Applied Linguistics (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 8, 2015
I believe this will be a great opportunity to share many things in culture and language between Japan and Hawaii especially for the youths of both countries.
Pros
Enthusiastic Cultural Exchange Programs
Cons
High cost of living in Oahu
Nice while it lasted
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIMarch 25, 2015
This was a great job while it lasted, however; the government program I was employed under was phased out, along with my job.
Pros
Great job
Cons
Program phased out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Hawaii. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4