University of Houston Employee Reviews

Dealing with Sports and the excitement of traveling as Ticket Manager and coordinating events.
Manager/Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Main Campus Houston, TexasJune 30, 2016
In the ticket office I worked with donors, season ticket holders and many sports lovers. My full time staff consisted of two full time and ten part timers who were students. With.good management skills we were able to handle the day to day operations, the sporting events and my travels with the football team. During the 80's I had the wonderful experience of working with some of the best athletes like Akeem, Michael Johnson, Clyde Drexler and a Heisman Trophy Winner. This was the most enjoyable part of my job.

As an event coordinator The hardest part of my job was working the ten hour days during a Concert and not being able to enjoy the events because of the duties required.
Pros
We had season tickets to all events and enjoy the perks of Vip Events.
Cons
Active and great place with flat screen tv, few games and snacks
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2016
When I arrive at my job, I proceed from where my co worker stopped. This could include, checking and responding to voicemail's, emails, meeting dates, unfinished files, budgeting, etc. I also check to to see if any of the 3 main certifying officials need aid with any work related activity.

I learned about presentation, project management, customer appearance, financing, budgeting, event planning, outreach and many more.

Teamwork is what I would use to describe my co-workers
Pros
Flexible schedule, Great Atmosphere
Cons
Short Hours
A Place to Grow
Activities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2016
The University of Houston is a great place to work and develop as a higher education professional. No one day is the same for our office and I have learned so much about Student Development Theory and how it applies in practical work. Management is okay, I love our office and the people that I work with. The hardest part of the job is finding the work/ life balance piece. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing students succeed and graduate.
Pros
Free lunches, free promo, new building space, upbeat personalities, diverse coworkers and students, building of relationships and great new experiences
Cons
Time goes by really fast, politics, unwritten rules, the higher up you go the less student contact
Engaging and fun experience, meeting so many new people!
Conversation Club Guide (Former Employee) –  Language and Culture CenterAugust 30, 2016
Before the ESL students would arrive for Conversation Club, we would sit down together as guides and plan out the day's events. Then, the students would come and we were assigned 7 students per guide. We would then have a topical conversation with students for the hour of Conversation Club.
Pros
Meet many new, international students!
Cons
Very few hours, so not a job for the paycheck.
Too much bureacracy
Assistant Business Administrator - Admin (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 1, 2016
Depending on what college you worked for within the University, the culture would vary. The Human Resource department was bias to Mgmt and did not support employees, which was sad. Too much bureaucracy. The University does not apply what they teach in keeping up with technology and improving processes.
Pros
Holidays, sick and vacation time
Cons
Too much bureacracy
Higher Level Education Workplace
Interim Assistant Business Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 8, 2015
Working at the University of Houston...in the past almost 5 years. I have received the opportunity to meet and work with a very diversified group of people, love listening and learning the different cultures that I meet and work with. I have received the chance to improve myself and you have the opportunity if you want to advance and move around, learn different areas. The benefits working here are good for myself and family.
Pros
days off around the end of year holidays
Well respected Tier 1 public university
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2016
Well respected Tier 1 public university. Beautiful school and wonderful professors and faculties. The school also have great student diversity and student organizations. UH is a great school for education and career.
had fun with student by attending school events
teaching assitent (TA) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2016
Working at university of Houston as a TA was very interesting experience. Dealing with undergrad and grad students, helping them out to get a better understanding of the material concepts satisfied my communication skills and helped me to establish good connection with student. Plus working in a professional environment improve my management skills.l
Work description
Teaching Assistant for Java & Data Structures (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, TXMay 27, 2016
Responsibilities:
 Responsible for deriving solutions to problems in Java and Data Structures.
 Responsible for grading assignments and help students to figure solutions.
 Provided Java support and one-to-one assistance to the students.
 Gained knowledge and improved problem solving skills from the diverse solutions submitted
by the students to a same problem.
Great Learning Experience
Assistant Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2016
You're able to learn more about the related field you've become a part of all while helping students, staff and faculty obtain a common goal and that's to educate or become educated in a specific field. You're also able to build relationships with co-workers that last even after leaving a certain department.
It was pleasure working at University of Houston
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  HoustonAugust 19, 2016
I was working at University of Houston, It was really a wonrderful opportunity to do research and pursue my passion.
A typical day at work
What i learned
co- workers were great
the hardest part was to move on to the next job
The most enjoyable part was i got to do what i loved
Great place to work and develop your communication and leadership skills
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of HoustonOctober 19, 2015
Being an RA teaches you how to interact from people of all cultures and backgrounds. This job gives you all the tools to build and maintain a very active community. You are able to practice and dramatically improve your time management skills.
Pros
Housing and meals, great relationships
Cons
very busy schedule
A Lot to Learn
Revit Draft Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Very Good Place for part time work with study. we can learn a lot. But we get no fee waiver with this job. Job culture is fine. a Lot to Learn
Good Exposure to work culture at University
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2016
Was a great experience running a testing center at the University all by yourself along with your fellow classmates. A lot of responsibility on your shoulder right from opening the center in the morning until closing it at the night.
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Too many hours of works
Flexible and Supportive Workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 22, 2016
My supervisors were very supportive. If I was unable to come in, I could do the work from home. My co-workers were also very understanding. I was able to complete any of my school assignments that I needed to complete as long as I finished my assignments at work.
Great teachers, study friendly environment
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2016
Great experience. I went to school full time all 2.5 years. During that time all teachers were very helpful and students were so supportive. I have learned to work with people from different backgrounds. UHD is a diverse place that teaches you that with hard work you can achieve anything.
A good place to work and to grow up
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2016
It was a busy working environment where students was focused. Students come there to ask for assisting hard problems and explaining important concepts. We always worked together as a team to help and come over the top questions from our students. After all, we enjoyed for that job.
Learning about Technology
Graduate Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2016
Great opportunity to learn about technology and the integration of technology into higher education. Online learning is growing in higher education and web development along with Instructional design is integral to online learning.
Productive and fun place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2016
Accenture is a leading global professional services company, providing a broad range of services and solutions in strategy, consulting, digital and technology. I believe its the best place to start your career
Easy-Going Workplace
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2016
Typical work day included encoding cards, assisting in lock outs, and maintaining a social environment. I learned how to work several types of computer operating systems and how to maintain packages. My co-workers as well as the residents were friendly, reliable, and social; which was my most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Social atmosphere
Cons
Minimal hours

4.3