University of Houston

University of Houston Employer Reviews

It was good to deal with students in clarifying their academic doubts and was also informative as I learned new things both academically and personaly
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 25, 2015
The work hours would be different depending on my class hours. I have learnt many things such as being punctual, dealing with students of different mind sets etc. the management was very cooperative and helpful in providing a healthy work environment. Tests were conducted for employees to improve their efficiency. There was nothing hard about the job. It was fun working there.
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 24, 2015
Good research environment. I studied a lot here. You can always get help from others when you need to do something you are not familiar with.
It was alright
Campus Recreation, Office Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 23, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: low pay
The work is very simple and easy. It was a good start for on campus employment, but after a while, you have to move on. To some better paid on campus positions.
Very Productive
Night Shift Lead (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 19, 2015
Most enjoyable part was working with different type of people. It let me show how easily I get along with people and my team skills
Productive workplace with good interdepartmental collaborations
Recitation Instructor (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 10, 2015
Pros: the wonderful opportunities for interdisciplinary study and collaboration
Cons: splitting my time between research and teaching was a bit difficult for me
A typical day at work consisted of performing research on a protein involved in the immune response in human beings. Additionally, I taught students on a daily basis.

I learned advanced organic and biological chemistry, how to perform a wide variety of experiments after designing them, and how to teach students in terms of classroom management and writing my own lectures and assessments.

My colleagues were wonderfully supportive of both my research and my teaching. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye to my students at the end of each semester. The most enjoyable part of my job was teaching.
Good place to learn new things.
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 10, 2015
My work involves

> Assessing, designing and deploying wireless at University.
> Troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues.
> Monitoring wireless traffic and Network traffic using various tools.
> Conducting regular surveys and line tests to keep track of wireless performance.
Team Work
Grader and Proctor (Former Employee), Houston, TxMarch 7, 2015
Great working experience. Worked as a team to grade college level Math home-works, quizzes and exams.
I am glad this was one of the first job I had during my undergraduate college years. The reason I say that is because the work policy had "0" tolerance for arriving late to work. Any employee who is late to work more than two times a month was immediately laid off. This actually helped me understand the seriousness of punctuality and sincerity with work.
Supervision is the key
Associate Director - Programs (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: red tape, lack of interest in quality, many management staff are in place do to relationships, not abilities.
There are departments and positions at the University of Houston that can be a wonderful work experience. Sadly not every supervisor has has the skills, the personality or the ethics to be a quality leader.
Grad Student
Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: acquired many skills, wonderful co-workers, great mentors
Cons: work / life balance non existent, location, lacking in resources relative to other universities i have visited and attended
Employed as a graduate student, work / life balance was non-existent. I acquired many skills but at a very high cost. The experience was good, but would recommend other universities instead - did not care for the location or the atmosphere. The pay scale relative to the cost of living was not livable.
Good place to work at while at school
Housing Representative (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2015
Good place to work at while at school, gets to meet a lot of people, and flexible with class schedule. I have gotten to learn time-management, and made some life-long friends while at this school.
Fun workplace
Intramural Sports Supervisor (Current Employee), HoustonFebruary 18, 2015
Learnt a lot of management skills, leadership qualities and not to forget first aid CPR training
Great people working around
Management is very nice and helpful
Great opportunities for part-time instructors
Lecturer at University of Houston (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: flexibility and great faculty
Cons: lack of openings
Great opportunities for adjunct professors or full-time professors. Flexibility with course curriculum and course schedule (days, nights, weekends).
Fun place to work at.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2015
Work life balance is good. The environment is quite nice. Chance to work with great people. Many opportunities available.
N/A
Security Officer (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 10, 2015
• Provides physical security for a university building.
• Unlocks and locks doors and checks all floors for unsecured doors.
• Monitors entry into the building and maintains sign-in/out log.
• Monitors security cameras and radio traffic; alerts proper personnel of camera malfunctions.
• Answers the telephone and greets visitors; provides information and directions.
• Provides immediate contact with the university’s police department in case of an emergency; prepares incident reports.
• May accept parcel packages and deliver them to designated floors or staff.
• May monitor and control entry into a gated parking lot.
• Patrols assigned areas to check for criminal activity, rule violations, and irregularities.
Recreation Center
Graduate Technical Experience (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 10, 2015
The project works were very interesting, however this used to make me tired mentally. Therefore, the best place I found to release the stress was to have an awesome workout at the Campus Recreation Center.

The hardest part was to work on multiple things at the same time. To juggle between Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat transfer, while learning about lots of new subjects, used to be a challenging part, however making me versatile to multiple work types.
fun!
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: weekends off, act like a child
Cons: nothing
you learn a lot of new things! the kids are amazing and everyone gets along with one another. its really fun to play and teach the kids
Graduate assistant
Graduate Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2015
Working at the University of Houston was a great experience. Everyone there is super friendly and willing to lend a helping hand. Lots of time to learn and everyone really cares about how well you do.
It is a great place to study and work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2015
I am pursuing my PhD degree in Math at University of Houston and work as teaching assistant. The school has very good PhD programs and the professors here are outstanding. One thing to improve, I think, is that the department of mathematics should let graduate students teach more classes than just recitation, which only require the teaching assistants to explain some homework.
Teaching Assistant
A - Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Clear Lake, TXJanuary 25, 2015
The Job requires a direct interaction with the Professor which makes us learn new ways and techniques to deal with the situations.
Also the best of the job is the friendly nature and response that we receive from the students which we help.
Poor management
Residential Advisor (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2015
Created safe environment for students. Management was poor and Resident Advisers were understaffed, overworked, and underpaid.

1 2 3 4 5

About University of Houston

Founded in 1927, the University of Houston is the leading public research university in the vibrant international city of Houston, – Read more

University of Houston Salaries