University of Idaho Employee Reviews

Long term strategy is poor.
Annual Giving Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDNovember 1, 2015
Poor long term development strategy. Management is short sighted and avoids accountability. Difficult HR process. Pay is not competitive with WSU. Health care benefit and retirement benefits are expensive compared to other institutions.
Daily substitute teacher
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IdahoOctober 5, 2015
Teaching K-12 has been a great experience for getting to know students from all areas of Toledo. These are great children, with potential and skills.
A typical work day consist in following teachers lesson plan. This is a difficult job considering that in very short moments I have to get to know the class, students and staff. Most important part is to get to know my students and I spend time to make sure that we introduce and get to know each other.
Teaching maths and science is my favorite, but I have taught history, geography and other subjects.
Good place to work, learned many skills
Cleaning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDAugust 26, 2015
I was able to give a valuable product each day as I worked on a team and was supported by everyone. I learned a lot about customer service, how to lead a team as a supervisor, how to support my team by the efforts I can give each day, learned new skills.
Pros
benefits, good wage, good schedule
Cons
poor management skills from supervisors
can do better
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Moscow, IDAugust 13, 2015
can do better in paying well. Overall it's a place to excel and move on to higher feats. Moscow is a nice place to pursue your dreams
Pros
friendly peopl
Cons
too far removed from everywhere
Enjoyable work environment
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 6, 2015
The University of Idaho offers, a great work environment for it's employees. Everyday is a new day, with different challenges and goals.
Radio Librarian
Radio Librarian (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDJuly 8, 2015
This was a work study position, I was able to set my own hours. I entered data from CDs into an online catalog and sorted through the physical library to ensure that everything was where it should be.
Many positions all positive!
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDMay 21, 2015
Orientation leader positions and a teacher's assistant position taught me a ton about myself, people, and the university. The university is a great place and it is in a great town for a person looking for something nice, calm, and cold.
Great balance between indoor labwork and outdoor fieldwork.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Moscow, IDMay 18, 2015
A perfect job for those who are still in school or have just graduated. Lots of indoor labwork and fieldwork in the summer months. Management is very nice, understanding and helpful.
Grad Student
Graduate Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  MoscowApril 30, 2015
I worked at a Graduate Student Mentor for a new undergraduate research summer experience in the College of Natural Resources. I learned a lot and I like that the program's goal was to promote the inclusion of under-represented minorities in the conservation workforce.
Pros
networking
Cons
funding
best work place i have ever been a part of
Intermural Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDApril 29, 2015
learned how to be a manager at this position
would supervise all sport programs
helped in the office with paperwork
would manage the equipment room
mange the marketing and advertising of the programs
organized and ran training seminars for officials
Cons
Great learning and working environments
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Moscow, IDApril 29, 2015
I have learned how to prepare class material and give the lectures in front of 90 students. I have learned problem solving skill from my professor. I enjoy learning new things everyday including hardware and software.
A great school!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IdahoFebruary 12, 2015
The University of Idaho is a really good school. I am glad I had the opportunity to go there. The math at MIT and Harvard is the same math they teach at U of I, and for a fraction of the cost.
Great atmosphere and cultural experience
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IdahoFebruary 4, 2015
Overall it was a good experience working for the University of Idaho. I typical day consisted of helping exchange students adjust to living in America and guided them through the U of Idaho systems.
A cost effective education
Statistics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDJanuary 15, 2015
I attended for Graduate School - no benefits! But I got enough scholarships to cover the cost of attending. The cost of living in the city of Moscow, ID is relatively low.
Ideal barn setting
Livestock Showmanship (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDSeptember 24, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of hands on training. I learned how to show and handle bulls. The management was shady. My co-workers were all trying to succeed. The hardest part of my job is over-coming frustration. The most enjoyable part was showing my livestock.
Pros
unique experiences
Cons
hard, dirty work
great learning place
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDAugust 11, 2014
The University offers a lot to students willing to learn and is a great place to start
Wonderful Employers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDJuly 28, 2014
I loved my time with the University of Idaho. All of my co-workers and managers were kind and generous and respectful. They became friends as well as colleagues. Barbecues outside of work were commonplace and the environment at work was relaxed and professional. There was significant opportunity to further personal and professional growth. Great experience!
Pros
lots of potlucks, free seminars
Cons
limited upward advancement
Great place to work and grow
Team Cleaning Specialist, Kibbie Dome (Current Employee) –  Kibbie DomeJuly 5, 2014
At the University of Idaho Kibbie Dome I have a relatively simple job most days- keeping the Dome clean for the coaches, athletes, and guests who frequent the offices and public areas. Other days, preparing for events (or cleaning up after) can be tedious and time consuming.

The best part about this job has to be that I was able to complete my M.S. degree in two years (without accumulating debt) while working and moving toward my future.

Now that I've graduated, I'm looking forward to obtaining a grant-writing job, and using leadership skills obtained from both my degree program and working at the University of Idaho.
Easy job for college student
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Moscow, IDMay 28, 2014
Basically, you show up and do the things that you need to do every day and there won't be any issues. The only complaint I have is that the management really look into complaints that other employees have about slacking employees. Some people tend to get special treatment, but it really does not affect the effort or time you need to put into a job. It just makes it kind of irritating, because these "slackers" fly under the radar and continue to have a job here, while some employees get yelled at for forgetting to clean something or doing a substandard job.
Pros
easy work
Cons
some coworkers
Never a dull moment with a different experience for every new production.
Master Electrician (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDMay 21, 2014
When not working on a production, there is always maintenance work to do with the instruments.
During a production, I would receive a light plot and then come up with a game plan to accomplish everything in a timely manner.
I was a teacher/supervisor to work study and lab students, and I learned how to delegate work so that others would learn and gain the most benefit from the experience.
The regular tech team was very close with good communication skills to make sure all departments had what they needed and accomplished all of our goals.
Was able to collaborate with a team, as well as be independent.
Each day was something new.
The most difficult part was when others might not keep to deadlines, which then would push back the amount of time we had to do our job making the electrics team have to work weird hours to still get everything done on time.
I loved the creative problem solving I had to do whenever something came up. It was very rewarding to be the one to find a solution to a problem.
Pros
was able to have access to all theatre spaces.
Cons
low pay, no benefits

4.2