University of Idaho Employee Reviews

A great place to work
HAZMAT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Moscow, IDDecember 29, 2016
U of I is a fantastic campus. It's a great place to work and I enjoy my job very much. Management will bend over backward to help you and getting time off is very easy. The campus is beautiful and Moscow is a very cool town.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Great experience for students majoring in accounting and finance
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDJanuary 29, 2017
A typical day at work when I first started was filing and data entry. Students are able to have more responsibilities the longer they work there and depending on their schedule. I gained much experience to help further my career, including accounting procedures and how to use their budgeting system. The workplace culture had its ups and downs. There were times when it was a great place to work, and others where it became very stressful and overwhelming. The management was the hardest part of the job. It put a strain on the environment and the ability to complete tasks. However, the most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers, and our ability to work together efficiently.
Terrifying management and poor compensation
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day at work included greeting every resident you meet in the residence halls while doing your other duties like administrative tasks, decoration of the building, and planning events for the residents. The only problem with the job was the management which consistently failed to help any of its employees.
Pros
Free housing and meal plan
Cons
Free meal plan to the student cafeteria
Dead end jobs
TH Employee (Current Employee) –  Moscow, IDDecember 14, 2016
If you're hoping to make a meaningful career here, look in Pullman. UofI will take advantage of you with an unreasonable amount of work and very little pay.

The occasional lunch/potluck and/or a simple "Thank You" from some director is what they do instead of paying you what you're worth.
Cons
No room for advancement, Administration doesn't care, TH employees are extorted
Paint Forman/Manager
Paint Forman/Manager (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDNovember 22, 2016
This was a job that required customer interface with students and all employees being on board to accomplish our goals. The team environment was above average and it was a comfortable place to work.
Pros
Peers and students
Cons
No real advancement
A reasonable place to work
Electronics Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Moscow, IDSeptember 20, 2016
There's little to no room for advancement since the position hierarchy doesn't quite work that way, at least in my situation. Workloads change drastically from nothing to everything at once. The administration can test your patience more often than not, though that doesn't mean they aren't a valuable resource.
Pros
Down time
Cons
Insane up time
No complaints, nothing spectacular
Swim Center Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDNovember 28, 2016
Working at the University of Idaho was a part-time gig while attending school. They were incredibly flexible with my academic needs and provided solid career building opportunities.
Flexible hours and great people to work with.
Office Assistant, Photographer (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDAugust 20, 2016
I got the opportunity to be really involved in the theatre department right from the beginning. I took pictures for many of the shows and got to see those pictures in the paper, on the front of a magazine, and on the website. I also got to be involved in department decisions and advertising. The environment was so positive and welcoming that I felt completely comfortable with everyone on my first day. My employer was so flexible when I asked for days off or something important came up. I really enjoyed this job and would recommend it to any theatre student.
Extremely low pay
TH (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDDecember 16, 2016
The pay rate for bachelor degree level positions is extremely low. Employees are forced to contribute to state retirement, even when it's a temporary position.
Pros
Cons
Must pay for parking, forced retirement contributions, extremely low pay
Very tight community
Music instructor (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDOctober 23, 2016
Very good art and culture. People are laid back and friendly. High standard of job quality is expected but people are respected and good sense of community.
Pros
Good people, nice workspace, active
Cons
A little conservative after all it is Idaho.

Want to know more about University of Idaho?

Ask a question
Respectful and appreciative scientific environment with highly cooperative staff.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDJuly 3, 2016
Assisted in the planning, assembly, execution, measurement, analysis and interpretation of a variety of micro and molecular biological experiments. Ordered, categorized and stored a large selection of lab equipment, chemicals and biological agents. Learned proper safety and handling techniques for maintaining sterile environments and disposing of bio-hazardous materials. Expanded on pre-existing skills in data entry, management and reporting (both written and oral). Co-workers were all informative and friendly, explaining advanced concepts in understandable terms. Hardest part of job was understanding advanced biological concepts and performing precise procedures to ensure correct and efficient experimental results. Most enjoyable portion of job was the satisfaction of completing complex and lengthy tasks and obtaining large amounts of valuable data.
Pros
Experience and knowledge gained in a scientific field, specifically a laboratory environment.
Cons
Required very precise and attentive measurements and procedures, or days worth of work could be ruined.
Long term strategy is poor.
Annual Giving Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDNovember 1, 2015
Poor long term development strategy. Management is short sighted and avoids accountability. Difficult HR process. Pay is not competitive with WSU. Health care benefit and retirement benefits are expensive compared to other institutions.
Good School
Senior Design Project (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDOctober 3, 2016
We had enough time to collaborate with others on our projects in order to complete the assignment by the deadline. I didn't actually work for the University of Idaho, I attended college here and am reviewing based on my experience as a student.
Detail-oriented workplace mixed with efficiency
Painter (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDJune 4, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the work I performed here. A typical day began with a morning meeting about what job sites were to be painted and what the expectations of our team would be. We would spend time cleaning equipment/supplies if required. My co-workers and management were good, honest people with a drive to set reachable goals.
Pros
Monday through Friday schedule
Cons
N/A
Good place to work, learned many skills
Cleaning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDAugust 26, 2015
I was able to give a valuable product each day as I worked on a team and was supported by everyone. I learned a lot about customer service, how to lead a team as a supervisor, how to support my team by the efforts I can give each day, learned new skills.
Pros
benefits, good wage, good schedule
Cons
poor management skills from supervisors
Amazing Experience
STUDENT RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDMarch 4, 2014
Working for amazing faculty in conducting field research trials was the most valuable experience I had while in college. In the summer's I would work 40 hours a week outside taking data, setting up trials and taking samples or I would be in the office on a rainy day compiling all of the data that we had on hand and doing miscellaneous laboratory experiments with the samples we collected in the field. I was the only girl among three male coworkers and two male graduate students. By no means was I spoiled, I was just one of the guys which was perfect. The best part about this job was being outside the majority of the time, the people that I worked with, and the information that I learned throughout my time here.
Pros
Working outside, great staff, and a brilliant educational experience.
Cons
Not guaranteed to go past graduation date, medical benefits, and couldn't exceed ten hours a week during the school year because of budget constraints.
Student Rec (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDJuly 21, 2016
great boss/co-workers and wonderful environment
the hardest part was the commute and that the position was short term.
Pros
access to the student rec center
Cons
short term employment
Nice place to work, staff and faculty friendly and good to work with.
Sheet Metal Worker/ Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDAugust 7, 2013
I enjoyed working at the U of I except for the pay. Their compensation was low compared to states around them. But the people I worked with good and the general campus atmosphere was friendly. For the most part my supervisors were supportive and helpful.
Pros
Friendly campus, supportive management, loyal employers.
Cons
Compensation and benefits were lower than surrounding states.
Never a dull moment with a different experience for every new production.
Master Electrician (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDMay 21, 2014
When not working on a production, there is always maintenance work to do with the instruments.
During a production, I would receive a light plot and then come up with a game plan to accomplish everything in a timely manner.
I was a teacher/supervisor to work study and lab students, and I learned how to delegate work so that others would learn and gain the most benefit from the experience.
The regular tech team was very close with good communication skills to make sure all departments had what they needed and accomplished all of our goals.
Was able to collaborate with a team, as well as be independent.
Each day was something new.
The most difficult part was when others might not keep to deadlines, which then would push back the amount of time we had to do our job making the electrics team have to work weird hours to still get everything done on time.
I loved the creative problem solving I had to do whenever something came up. It was very rewarding to be the one to find a solution to a problem.
Pros
Was able to have access to all theatre spaces.
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
Research Assistant
Research Assistant -Urban Planning (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDFebruary 9, 2016
Researched and presented zoning code audit for the city of Colfax, WA. Researched historical and cultural aspects of potential biofuels refinery sites in the Pacific Northwest for federally funded Northwest Advanced Renewables Alliance.

Management and colleagues were great.

There is a steep learning curve for newcomers on the project.

Best part was researching potential biofuels sites and getting to present zoning code audit to the City of Colfax planning and zoning committee.
Pros
Good pay!
Cons
Steep learning curve

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Idaho. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Idaho Reviews by Location