University of Illinois at Chicago

University of Illinois at Chicago Employer Reviews

Declining Standards
Teaching Post-Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2015
University where the standards are rapidly declining and academic inflation is a fact of life. Amid the low standards many high level researchers work, providing in contrast high level of post graduate education.
UIC Research
Research Assistant Professor (Former Employee), ChicagoFebruary 17, 2015
Although UIC is not a top tier university, it does boast some good resources for research and a large medical school. Attracting top colleagues and students is difficult, and this can be limiting.
Good work ethic
Graduate Student (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
-Carried out research work, hence timing wasn't an issue
-Was always paid on time
-Department very well organised
-New learning opportunities
Workplace chaos!
Communications Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: income brought in during my time of need
Cons: lazy employees, unporfessional manager, rude and inconsiderate staff members
The duties were not bad; however, union employees took advantage of extra help workers. Calls were constantly rerouted by other employees to less seasoned staff members and as a result, good employees became burned out. The immediate manager constantly covered up inappropriate behavior by chosen staff members such as: tardiness, not answering calls, or sleeping on the job in order to make himself appear like a good manager. The supervisors were nice and approachable; however, the manager did not advocate for extra help employees when we received less pay and did most of the work which was evident when computer generated reports were released.
Ranking is going down and you can see why
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Taking in a lot of below average students and faculty as well. No good research being done in the MIE department. Very less funding for students.
Its a fun work place. Pretty flexible work time for full time students who work part time in my department.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2015
This is a great place to work. All the colleagues are very kind and helpful. The most important thing is your boss understands that you are a full time student and you your first priority is studies. So they allow flexible timings at work.
Great Opportunity to give students
Undergraduate Research Student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: overall success in projects hard to achieve.
Professors and students were very patient and accommodating and put emphasis on studies. Had to set up experiments before, in-between, and after classes. Occasionally came in on Saturdays. Hardest part was achieving actual positive results which was discouraging and intimidating.

I would have been very difficult finding a job out of college without this experience. I will be forever grateful.
All work No Play
Visiting Research Specialist (Current Employee), ChicagoJanuary 30, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the day is analyzing results at the end of the day. Co-workers are nice but over worked so hardly get any time to interact or socialize.
problem solving contract work
Social Media Analyst (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 27, 2015
various tasks involving programming, coding, encoding, and analysis of data
superb
student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2015
best institute to study in immense knowledge and good faculty base
Fun Place
Electronics Engineering Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2015
A typical day UIC is good. I learn and gain a lot by working at UIC. The best part about my job is that I can also get to study at work. Sometimes it can be hard to balance both work and school but once you get to adjusted, it can be fairly okay
Post Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2015
Nice agreeable environment, allowing work to be done, without too many pressures. co-workers are easy to work with, nice collaborative environment.
Great place for students to work.
Desk/Security Worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2015
Easy to balance work and school and managers were very flexible
Great Place to work.
Associate Director (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 23, 2014
Wonderful staff and students to work with. The University of Illinois at Chicago is the largest institution of higher learning in the Chicago area with 25,000 students, 3,800 of whom live on campus. The UIC campus is located just west of Chicago’s loop in an area that includes two historic landmark residential neighborhoods and the Illinois medical center district. The mission of the housing operation is not only to provide a safe and comfortable environment that is stimulating and supportive of the university’s academic mission, but also to insure that campus residency offers students an educational advantage which contributes to their overall success.
Interesting way to learn about research
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2014
I use to work from 9am to 5pm in the laboratory every weekday. Everything was about testing and improving each design related to my research on medical training devices that use Human Augmented reality. I enjoyed to work with my co-workers. Even though everybody came from different backgrounds, we keep a collaborative culture to get the best results as a group.
University of Illinois at Chicago Library
Library Assistant, Human Resources Department (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2014
Typical day: I worked in the HR office. Front desk duties, such as answering phones, filing, faxing. I delivered and sent out mail, updated employee time sheets, as well as employee directories and employee annual reports. I scheduled meeting for Librarians and HR supervisors on outlook and Oracle Calendar. Supervisors would assign projects to me along with deadlines. I Created offer, evaluation, and resignation letters. Along with, helping set up candidate meeting and supplies.
Fun and productive to work here
Radiation Safety Technician (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2014
It was fun working here with other student employees. We got a lot done, and the schedule was flexible based on our class schedule. After graduating from UIC, I was hired as Extra Help while I looked for another job because I only had a limited number of hours to work.
Most of my co-workers were other students, and it was very easy to work with them. The environment was friendly and everyone was willing to help one another.
Basic
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2014
Good management. Depends on how effective you want to be in the company. Great start for new-comers. Learned a lot from different experiences. Enjoyable part was that it was in the city so lots of things to do once you're done with work. Everyone is in college age-range so it was nice.
Useful learnig
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2014
Great experience working with undergraduate and graduate students. Coordinating with them in labs to develop prototypes and instructing them in classes.
Outstanding benefits, diverse and supportive community
Research Project Director (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2014
Pros: health insurance, retirement plans, paid time off, supportive and collaborative work environment
Cons: budget cuts can create chaos, pensions are threatened
The university community embraces diversity and inclusion, and this is reflected in the staff, faculty and students. Service to the city of Chicago is a priority. Employees get a terrific benefits package, which few organizations can match.

1 2 3 4 5