University of Illinois at Chicago

University of Illinois at Chicago United States Employee Reviews

Lovely and easy going.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 17, 2015
Pros: free lunches, good support
Cons: low pay
Most managers were very flexible and kind as well as worked everyone within their personal needs. Employes were very friendly towards their bosses and coworkers.
Great place to work in
Retina Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 15, 2015
Great place to work in and enjoy all the state-of-the art labs and facilities in addition to world-renowned ophthalmologists and scientists.
Great job to have as a Graduate Student
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 14, 2015
Working as a teaching assistant at UIC is a great way to imporve presenting and teaching skills as well as expand your knowledge of earth science. I love interacting with my students and leading their lab experiences.
Enjoyable working environment
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 4, 2015
I enjoyed getting to know the visa process through this job. There is just something about working with internationals that felt fulfilling. I also somewhat enjoyed writing job descriptions. My co-workers were great, as was my supervisor. It taught me a lot about the HR process at the university level.
Fun and exciting place to work.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2015
I have learnt more than I expected form here. Everyday starts with a new and exciting challenge. My co-worker has been fantastic and humble enough to teach me new things.
One of the best places to live and work
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Close to downtown
Cons: weather
Work/Life balance was very good and I made a lot great memories and input a lot of hard work in to my job. As a PhD student life is always a experiment and working with UIC has taught me a lot of good skills, which i will cherish and live with.
A job with "Golden Handcuffs".
Physician Practice Administrator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2015
if you have a young family or a lot of life's issues going on this is the ideal place to work.. you have so much time off you can actually be a parent and not feel guilty and the pay is quite awesome.
Diverse and Innovative Academic World
Project Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: visiting positions are not permanent
Many opportunities for growth and development if you work in the right department with the right people.

I learned that navigating your way through an environment with a lot of bureaucracy and red tape requires patience and follow through.

The hardest part of the job is expanding oneself outside of one's own unit. The work can sometimes bog you down. Although it can be an intense working environment, I find that working with a great team is very productive and satisfying.
Rewarding experience
Human Performance Lab Training Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2015
Pros: never a boring environment.
Cons: not competitive with other salaries of similar positions.
To be able to work with the students that went though the same Kinesiology program is very rewarding and gives you a full circle experience of learning and teaching.
Declining Standards
Teaching Post-Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2015
University where the standards are rapidly declining and academic inflation is a fact of life. Amid the low standards many high level researchers work, providing in contrast high level of post graduate education.
UIC Research
Research Assistant Professor (Former Employee), ChicagoFebruary 17, 2015
Although UIC is not a top tier university, it does boast some good resources for research and a large medical school. Attracting top colleagues and students is difficult, and this can be limiting.
Good work ethic
Graduate Student (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
-Carried out research work, hence timing wasn't an issue
-Was always paid on time
-Department very well organised
-New learning opportunities
Workplace chaos!
Communications Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: income brought in during my time of need
Cons: lazy employees, unporfessional manager, rude and inconsiderate staff members
The duties were not bad; however, union employees took advantage of extra help workers. Calls were constantly rerouted by other employees to less seasoned staff members and as a result, good employees became burned out. The immediate manager constantly covered up inappropriate behavior by chosen staff members such as: tardiness, not answering calls, or sleeping on the job in order to make himself appear like a good manager. The supervisors were nice and approachable; however, the manager did not advocate for extra help employees when we received less pay and did most of the work which was evident when computer generated reports were released.
Ranking is going down and you can see why
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Taking in a lot of below average students and faculty as well. No good research being done in the MIE department. Very less funding for students.
Its a fun work place. Pretty flexible work time for full time students who work part time in my department.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2015
This is a great place to work. All the colleagues are very kind and helpful. The most important thing is your boss understands that you are a full time student and you your first priority is studies. So they allow flexible timings at work.
Great Opportunity to give students
Undergraduate Research Student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: overall success in projects hard to achieve.
Professors and students were very patient and accommodating and put emphasis on studies. Had to set up experiments before, in-between, and after classes. Occasionally came in on Saturdays. Hardest part was achieving actual positive results which was discouraging and intimidating.

I would have been very difficult finding a job out of college without this experience. I will be forever grateful.
All work No Play
Visiting Research Specialist (Current Employee), ChicagoJanuary 30, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the day is analyzing results at the end of the day. Co-workers are nice but over worked so hardly get any time to interact or socialize.
problem solving contract work
Social Media Analyst (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 27, 2015
various tasks involving programming, coding, encoding, and analysis of data
superb
student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2015
best institute to study in immense knowledge and good faculty base
Fun Place
Electronics Engineering Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2015
A typical day UIC is good. I learn and gain a lot by working at UIC. The best part about my job is that I can also get to study at work. Sometimes it can be hard to balance both work and school but once you get to adjusted, it can be fairly okay

1 2 3 4 5