University of Illinois at Chicago Employee Reviews in United States

It was a fun workplace
Student Patrol (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2015
Working at UIC was a great experince and the environment was a great place. Working there made it seem like it wasn't really work and everyone treated each other like they were family.
Fun working environment
Student Alumni Ambassadors (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2015
It is a good working environment where I have obtained skills and expertise to enhance myself as an employee. I am able to use my communication and digital skills everyday. As this is my first official job, I have learned how to manage work with my college classes.
Pros
Getting to communicate with others
Productive and calm environment that promotes peerness
Writing Center Staff Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2015
The writing center is at the heart of the University. It is a place for students to come and build on their written communication skills with peers. During a typical session in the welcoming environment, both the tutor and writer are bound to learn something about their craft. This is a place of happy productivity and true learning.
Pros
On-campus, fulfilling work, rigorous
Cons
Not enough hours to go around, inflexible
Student Researcher
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2015
Did what I had to do for classes and to do some research on the side. Mostly low-pressure environment and helped me learn something as well.
Graduate Assistant at UIC
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2015
I work here as a graduate assistant.
I really enjoy working here. I learned a lot about web site maintenance and tested and deployed many web applications.

It is quite challenging and the work life balance here is more than that I could ask for.
Pros
Approval of the Manager.
Cons
Sometimes I had to work on weekends.
Business Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 14, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with some great individuals and learning different aspects of the University.
Very fun
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2015
This was not a paid position but worked under a professor to gain teaching experience. This is more like an internship for one semester and received a grade for 1 credit hour.
Productive and fun workplace
Event Staff - Student Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2015
Management was extremely nice and supportive to all of the student workers. Typical days included setting up and hosting large events in the UIC Forum. I learned how to work with a team of fellow students in order to cater to the ever changing needs of a wide array of clients.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with good friends on a regular basis, in order to achieve a common goal. The most taxing part of the job was taking everything down again, reorganizing, then setting up for a new event, after a very long day.
Uic
Telephone Operator 1 (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2015
University of Il at Chicago on the near west side offers several clinics with different specialties. Several education programs and community and out reach programs.
productive and fun workplace
Photo Lab Assistant / Wood Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2015
Assisting students with checking out equipment, and problem solving when needed. Ensure equipment functions properly, and maintaing the workplace.
Fun place to work.
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2015
The work is easy. You have a set schedule that must be completed every day.Also, this job gives you the opportunity to grow not only professionally but personally. I'm learning to be a better team leader because my boss gave me a chance to lead with small projects.I have also developed interpersonal skills. I am able to communicate and interact effectively with other people.My time management skills and communication skills have improved tremendously as well. My fellow co workers are welcoming, even the workers on the other sides of campus as well.
Not a bad place for research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2015
Everybody here is nice. Pressure is not as high as I expected. Each project is done by a highly effective team. And we have some fun occasionally too.
Large State University
Post Doc and Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2015
UIC is one of three big research universities in the city of Chicago, and as such we have access to a lot of resources. As "soft money employees", we are subject to the ability of the PI to receive grants.
Pros
Good benefits, fairly hands off leadership
Cons
Bureaucratic system, odd restrictions on purchases, few resources for professional development
Great platform for learning and growing
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2015
There would be something new to learn everyday. Great place to work with professors and students addressing issues and conducting sessions for students for Business Analysis using spreadsheets
Fun and Friendly workplace
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2015
UIC has a very good work environment. All the managers and directors are very friendly and helpful. I have the flexibility to use any open source plugins/frameworks during development.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Rewarding and fun job
Parent Engagement Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2015
A typical day would be, getting materials ready to present at a site (Head Start Site). Getting to the site, and greet the parents that are assisting the workshop, and give the parents new ideas for them to take home and try to incorporate into their daily routine, and also present to them new helpful resources.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Does not appreciate the effort into the work
Interesting place to be part of a research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2015
It was very interesting to be able to meet different people and asked them why they live in the neighborhood they do and why did they send their children to school. There was a lot of time to put in data of the people that we interviewed. It was a long process to check things in detail of each interviewed and putting the correct information. I was also in charge to check, that all the students had done all their interviews and turn in all their paper work. I learned how to transcribe interviews. Additionally I translated paper work to Spanish and as well translated Spanish transcriptions to English.The hardest part was being able to set up an interviews with people and being available when they were to interviewed them. The most enjoyable part of it, was when all the students would come together and talked about the experiences we had with the interviews.
Pros
A lot of time, flexible, own pace
Cons
nothing
Good Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2015
For most of the time that I worked there, I worked in the medical records office. My duties included pulling charts for clinicians, either their current appointments, or for the next day. I also handled filing, answering phones, and other duties as necessary. I didn't find anything particularly hard about the job, but I did find it a challenge to learn the new laws regarding HIPAA, which had to do with patient privacy rights. At the time that I was working with the company, those laws were just going into effect. That was also the time that files were being adapted to the computer system, so there was a lot to learn at that time, in terms of learning a whole new way to do my job. I enjoyed my coworkers. They made the work environment very positive for me. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was in the afternoon, when I would go to each floor to deliver and pick up charts. I enjoyed greeting my coworkers as I moved to each floor.
Fantastic place to work
General Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2015
I organized student’s records. The work environment was ideal. I learned that education is a business as well as a place of learning.
My management was eager to teach me. Registration periods were possibly the hardest part of this job, however working as a team helped.
Pros
work hours were ideal
Fast-paced active workplace
Print Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2015
A typical day involved ensuring that the print lab ran as smoothly as possible.Everyday tasks included helping students print, check out equipment, and troubleshooting their issues. As technical problems came up I was charged with the task of troubleshooting and repairing them if possible. The most enjoyable part of this job was the interaction with the people who came into the print lab, everyday there was a new student coming in, giving me the opportunity to work with numerous students in any given day.

4.2