University of Illinois at Chicago Employee Reviews in United States

Interesting place to be part of a research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2015
It was very interesting to be able to meet different people and asked them why they live in the neighborhood they do and why did they send their children to school. There was a lot of time to put in data of the people that we interviewed. It was a long process to check things in detail of each interviewed and putting the correct information. I was also in charge to check, that all the students had done all their interviews and turn in all their paper work. I learned how to transcribe interviews. Additionally I translated paper work to Spanish and as well translated Spanish transcriptions to English.The hardest part was being able to set up an interviews with people and being available when they were to interviewed them. The most enjoyable part of it, was when all the students would come together and talked about the experiences we had with the interviews.
Pros
A lot of time, flexible, own pace
Cons
nothing
Good Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2015
For most of the time that I worked there, I worked in the medical records office. My duties included pulling charts for clinicians, either their current appointments, or for the next day. I also handled filing, answering phones, and other duties as necessary. I didn't find anything particularly hard about the job, but I did find it a challenge to learn the new laws regarding HIPAA, which had to do with patient privacy rights. At the time that I was working with the company, those laws were just going into effect. That was also the time that files were being adapted to the computer system, so there was a lot to learn at that time, in terms of learning a whole new way to do my job. I enjoyed my coworkers. They made the work environment very positive for me. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was in the afternoon, when I would go to each floor to deliver and pick up charts. I enjoyed greeting my coworkers as I moved to each floor.
Fantastic place to work
General Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2015
I organized student’s records. The work environment was ideal. I learned that education is a business as well as a place of learning.
My management was eager to teach me. Registration periods were possibly the hardest part of this job, however working as a team helped.
Pros
work hours were ideal
Fast-paced active workplace
Print Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2015
A typical day involved ensuring that the print lab ran as smoothly as possible.Everyday tasks included helping students print, check out equipment, and troubleshooting their issues. As technical problems came up I was charged with the task of troubleshooting and repairing them if possible. The most enjoyable part of this job was the interaction with the people who came into the print lab, everyday there was a new student coming in, giving me the opportunity to work with numerous students in any given day.
A fast paced and busy environment.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
Clock in a.m. and go directly to desk and work station so that I can log into Cerner Applications to check in/out patients, schedule appointments, answer switchboard phones, take messages, page doctors, xerox, fax, obtain referrals/authorization/pre-authorization for patient procedures, medical records, patient charts, transfer patient medical records upon request, APEX, E-Care, collect patient co-payments and keep a daily record of payments received.
Pros
Free lunch from doctors in clinic on occasion
Cons
no breaks, healthcare, short staff.
fun work place
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2015
people are great
benefets are great
you career never stays still
I would love to still work there
learn so much
Pros
great people
Cons
parking
Flexible hours; meager pay
o Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2015
As a research assistant at UIC, I had great flexibility over when I completed projects, however, the work was very inconsistent and the pay never went up.
safe and fun environment. get to meet lots of people.
Desk/Security Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2015
Checking in and out guests and residents
sorting mail and packages
learned customer service
co-workers were friendly and helpful
fairly easy job
Cons
some rules were unneccesary
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2015
Great company to work for. Benefit plan is amazing. The company fosters a mission that promotes professional development.
Its a good place either to start or finish!
Postdoc (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
The work life depends on who you work with, specially in research labs. It is always good to find an ex-employee to get an insight. Once tenure-tracked benefits surely are a plus.
Pros
commutable to city, ethics, quality work
Cons
some shady areas, empty streets on holidays
Great place to learn then leave
Director of Athletic Communications (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2015
This is a great place to learn skills and then take off for your next after 3-4 years. Not much chance for upward growth here.
Pros
Benefits, access
Cons
drab university with unenthusiastic students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2015
As a graduate student, I am frustrated by the lack of enthusiasm of the undergraduates for the courses I TA, and the lack of campus culture as most students commute. The funding situation is also unfortunate.
Lovely and easy going.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2015
Most managers were very flexible and kind as well as worked everyone within their personal needs. Employes were very friendly towards their bosses and coworkers.
Pros
free lunches, good support
Cons
low pay
Great place to work in
Retina Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2015
Great place to work in and enjoy all the state-of-the art labs and facilities in addition to world-renowned ophthalmologists and scientists.
Great job to have as a Graduate Student
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2015
Working as a teaching assistant at UIC is a great way to imporve presenting and teaching skills as well as expand your knowledge of earth science. I love interacting with my students and leading their lab experiences.
Enjoyable working environment
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2015
I enjoyed getting to know the visa process through this job. There is just something about working with internationals that felt fulfilling. I also somewhat enjoyed writing job descriptions. My co-workers were great, as was my supervisor. It taught me a lot about the HR process at the university level.
Fun and exciting place to work.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2015
I have learnt more than I expected form here. Everyday starts with a new and exciting challenge. My co-worker has been fantastic and humble enough to teach me new things.
One of the best places to live and work
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
Work/Life balance was very good and I made a lot great memories and input a lot of hard work in to my job. As a PhD student life is always a experiment and working with UIC has taught me a lot of good skills, which i will cherish and live with.
Pros
Close to downtown
Cons
weather
A job with "Golden Handcuffs".
Physician Practice Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2015
if you have a young family or a lot of life's issues going on this is the ideal place to work.. you have so much time off you can actually be a parent and not feel guilty and the pay is quite awesome.
Diverse and Innovative Academic World
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2015
Many opportunities for growth and development if you work in the right department with the right people.

I learned that navigating your way through an environment with a lot of bureaucracy and red tape requires patience and follow through.

The hardest part of the job is expanding oneself outside of one's own unit. The work can sometimes bog you down. Although it can be an intense working environment, I find that working with a great team is very productive and satisfying.
benefits
Cons
visiting positions are not permanent

4.2