University of Illinois at Chicago

University of Illinois at Chicago Employer Reviews

Typical University
Associate Director of Marketing Communications (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2013
Too much red tape. Goals unclear due to turnover in upper ranks.
Administrator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2013
Depending on the needs, a typical day at work could include anything from financial management to operational management to grants management. From working at UIC, I have learned to find innovative ways to get through road blocks.
Educational experience.
Secretary/Transcriber (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 25, 2013
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: benefits
Working for the University of Illinois of Chicago was an educational experience for me. Even thought it was a short time working for the university I learned to multi-task and well read each professor academic materials for their classes.

I enjoyed working for different professors, putting together materials for their classes were always a challenge, – more... but satisfying when everything was accomplished. – less
Multi cultural employees working together
Program Services Aide (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 21, 2013
Pros: free lunches, camaraderie, treat everybody fairly
Cons: no salary increase, healthcare premiums increase
* In a typical day at work, we are responsible in accomplishing our work and we rotate our duties from time to time when it is needed.

* I have learned to be more responsible in my day to day duties as I am able to manage my time from one task to another in order to accomodate additional task so that everybody will be able to cope up with our respective – more... duties.

* If there are issues that need to be resolved, we channel these issues accordingly. And the management will implement a policy what needs to be done.

* We are a multicultural employees in University of Illinois, therefore we have differences in culture and values but we have respect with one another and give consideration with each other.

* The hardest part of the job is when we have to follow the rules or bend it with the respect of moral ethics.

* The most enjoyable part of the job is even though we have some rough days, we all still manage to smile and understand each other. We don't take our work conflict personally and remain professional. – less
Good workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 14, 2013
Nice environment, very interesting job. I learned how to use different software. The co-workers are very nice
Fun workplace!
Service Center Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 10, 2013
I enjoyed working at the Student Centers. My immediate supervisor made me feel appreciated. My co-workers were supportive and made the environment easy to be a park of. I loved helping students, staff, faculty, and university visitors.
Great place to work, there are a large number of professional tracks that you could take.
Director of Univ Actg Consultants Group (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 9, 2013
My typical day consisted of meeting with senior leadership of the three campuses to resolve compliance, accounting, business operations or other related issues.

I learned a lot about tax issues and compliance issues affecting colleges and universities. I learned to: develope and implement a strategic plan, to establish various metrics to monitor goals – more... and objectives, to deveolpe a master plan, to develope and implement various workshops for staff development.

There was nothing difficult about my job, i was constatnt learning and looking for collaborative ways of improving processes. – less
Fun and very good learning experince
Assisting research associated (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 6, 2013
The research experience was great and very enjoyable. Most of my research was held from home and had weekly meeting for about two hours. The co-workers were very nice and understandable. Overall, the work environment was great. My knowledge expanded a lot and I was able to apply my school knowledge into the real life.
Professional Environment
Research Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 2, 2013
Great School in a world class city. The MIE department is equipped with state of the art equipment and wise advisors.
Employment with the State
Research Associate, Rheumatology (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 31, 2013
Pros: the institution provides healthcare services to families of income levels
Cons: the bureaucracy of the institution prevents the ability to provide services for staff
The University of Illinois at Chicago has provided me the opportunity to experience a atomsphere that lacks infrastructure. The institution does not support teamwork spirit which brings down the moral of the team as a whole. The physician I directly support has provided me a stable and health work environment. She supports professional growth and direct – more... her team with professionalism and respect. With the lack of structure this creates the difficulty for my job since confusion is easily created. With all the adversity in the institution I have learned to work and perform even when the situation is not perfect. – less
WONDERFUL ATMOSPHERE
Ambulatory Care Assistant / CSR II (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 22, 2013
Pros: helping
Cons: pay
ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY, ENJOYED HELPING THE PATIENTS
Potential Efficient Program is need of many fixes
HIV/AIDS Medical Case Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 16, 2013
Pros: work shift is beneficial for my lifestyle
Cons: no benefits, low pay and unorganized
A typical day of work consist of working with HIV clients to advocate and assist them with their social service needs. I've learned how to assist this population by listening to their needs and going above and beyond to make their lifestyle more pleasant. The hardest part of the job is telling a patient that he/she has been exposed to the virus. The – more... most enjoyable part is watching a patient go from being depressed about their illness to learning to live with it and taking care of themselves. – less
Learning Environment
Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 3, 2013
Pros: secure protected environment
Cons: low pay
I spent several years as Grad student in a protected environment. Teaching /Research Assistant jobs were assigned and easy to come by as Grad student. Moving to work in other departments brought fresh insights and different approaches. The management was reasonably easy to work with. The hard part of the job was having to finish work outside normal – more... hours sometimes. The most enjoyable part was meeting people and getting to know them as students. – less
Was a good working environment
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 3, 2013
The co-workers worked together like family. We got along very well and didn't mind helping one another.
Friendly working environment, with excellent team members
Senior Research Specialist and Lab Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 25, 2013
Pros: ability to be proactive and work independently
Cons: position dependent upon grant funding
The research was interesting and the work environment was positive. I was able to acquire many new skills and developed my managing skills being able to multitask doing research and managing all things related to the upkeep of the laboratory, as well as training and helping lab members in their projects.
Productive, Fun place to work, learned a lot.
Student IT Technician (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 25, 2013
Student IT Technician
 Resolved user hardware and software issues as part of the IT help desk.
 Monitored student labs and department IT resources.
 Performed daily quality control checks of multi-media equipment in the entire college
Great place to work, with excellent benefits.
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 22, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
The University of Illinois at Chicago allowed me to:

Utilize my knowledge with encouragement, which is not always the case with other institutions.
Just OK
General Chemistry Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 18, 2013
University of Illinois at Chicago is an OK school. Professors all care about their own research, not about teaching. Department does not help you with your job searching.
Volunteer
Scailab Computer Technician (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2013
Pros: learning experience, communicating with professionals, using new technology
Cons: time would fly, 8 hours didn't seem enough
I was a volunteer and assistant to a pharmaceutical research assistant in a lab at UIC - College of Pharmacy. My day started at 8 am to 5 pm. I assisted a Pharm.D and Ph.D student from France in studying more about the Echinacea plant species, conducting numerous TLC experiment with different solvent systems and analyzing results to compare the different – more... compounds that made up each species (eg. flavanoids, coumarins, tannins, flavanols etc). It was a very enjoyable experience and I learned a lot about the different methods of analyzing compounds and using new technology. It was a challenging and enjoyable experience for me as an undergraduate student. – less
Real productive place with a flexible schedule
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2013
Working in this laboratory has brought me many personal and professional benefits. Although some days are really demanding, all of us can still balance and manage our time to enjoy life.