University of Illinois at Chicago Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work, there are a large number of professional tracks that you could take.
Director of Univ Actg Consultants Group (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2013
My typical day consisted of meeting with senior leadership of the three campuses to resolve compliance, accounting, business operations or other related issues.

I learned a lot about tax issues and compliance issues affecting colleges and universities. I learned to: develope and implement a strategic plan, to establish various metrics to monitor goals and objectives, to deveolpe a master plan, to develope and implement various workshops for staff development.

There was nothing difficult about my job, i was constatnt learning and looking for collaborative ways of improving processes.
Educational experience.
Secretary/Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2013
Working for the University of Illinois of Chicago was an educational experience for me. Even thought it was a short time working for the university I learned to multi-task and well read each professor academic materials for their classes.

I enjoyed working for different professors, putting together materials for their classes were always a challenge, but satisfying when everything was accomplished.
Pros
nice co-workers
benefits
Professional and Educational
Admissions Clerk/ Temporary Assignment (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2012
I was introduced to Microsoft Access. This position alowed me to gain more knowledge and usage with Excel. The supervision and management in the department was great. Everyday had it's challenges, but I was able to handle them with the support and direction from the other staff. I also appreciated the autonomy and trust that they had in me to complete my assignments in a timely and professional manner.
Pros
constant learning environment
Cons
temporary assignment
No room for growth...
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 29, 2012
I have been employed with the University of Illinois for over seven years. I have obtained two degrees during this time and I am in the same position I was when I started many years ago. The University doesn't consider degrees nor do they promote. Once you are in a position you are suck with it. Please be aware of this when considering this place for employment.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
low pay, no raises, horrible uniforms, expensive food, favoritism, no room for growth
Productive and a great School to work for, I worked in The Socialogy Dept.
Undergraduate Sect./Clerk Typist III (Former Employee) –  Chicago.IlOctober 4, 2011
I worked very hard and productive with students. I did Registrar for Adissions, I composed and transcribed correspondence, bulletins, and other materials. Compiled and filed class rosters, attendance reports and other school records. I was a Undergraduate Sect./Clerk Typist III, duties include assistant to the administration office, support staff and faculty and data processing.
Pros
great job for employment & attending school, 10hrs for school
Cons
40hr per week
Pretty simple job despcription
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2012
Cash handling, counting tickets, making sure tickets and counter/register transactions match.
Learned better customer service skills in somewhat high pressure situations. Sometimes the interactions with customers were the hardest part, and most of the time, it was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
opportunity to work more hours, available shifts.
Cons
you can only work for parking services until your last day of classes. i'll be graduating, so i need to find another job soon.
Productive and fun workplace
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2013
Great experience learned a significant amount about customer service and student to school operation. In addition, I learned how to maintain and manage a building for customers and student clientele.

Coworkers were fellow students which taught me how to work with a diverse population.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the students employee events/activities that were arranged by management.

The hardest part of this job was the 3rd shift midnight to 8am.
Pros
the flexibility with schedules and free food or snacks frequently
Cons
short breaks and no benefits or vacation for part timers, occasional third shifts.
good place consider study and work at the same time
project coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 27, 2013
The benefit is using time wisely, study with degree and work experience at same time. Not heavy load, much freedom when doing the work. Open the eyes because I can contact with a lot of people from different academic/professional area.

Co-workers are very nice, and the hardest part is waiting for client/ subjects to come for the service. The best and unexpected part of this job is to become familiar with the specific surgery process in hospital. The most useful skills I learned is communicated with different people in health needs.
Pros
study degree and work at the same time
Cons
salary is not high
Friendly working environment, with excellent team members
Senior Research Specialist and Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2013
The research was interesting and the work environment was positive. I was able to acquire many new skills and developed my managing skills being able to multitask doing research and managing all things related to the upkeep of the laboratory, as well as training and helping lab members in their projects.
Pros
ability to be proactive and work independently
Cons
position dependent upon grant funding
I love teaching. UIC gives me this opportunity to find my favorite job.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2014
As a TA, I am also a PhD student. I have to spend some time in my learning. But I enjoy my teaching job. I give students discussion sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I also need to grade their quizzes and exams, and record their scores. I like discussion sessions the best, my students and I have positive and active interactions.
Sometimes, when I made more efforts to explain, my students got more confused. I was very upset about that. Fortunately, I got ideas from my students, and I realized many details that I didn't pay attention at first. For example, My teaching should be consistent with their professor's teaching, I shouldn't skip too many algebra steps.
I hope I can have a job of teaching after I graduate from UIC.
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2015
Great company to work for. Benefit plan is amazing. The company fosters a mission that promotes professional development.
Building Management was the best Student Job you could hope for
Building Manager -Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2014
I worked the night shift, so the typical day began by escorting students out of the Student Center, locking exterior exits and checking for building maintenance. We did hourly rounds of the grounds. Co-workers were fellow students from all different majors and a truly diverse group. Our supervisors were down to earth and helpful with our scheduling between classes, other jobs, and extra curricular activity. I learned to operate in an office environment, cooperate with staff, other departments, and customers/clients in an efficient and professional manner. I learned that any job worth doing is worth doing right.
Pros
in the lulls you could study.
Cons
scheduling you have to find coverage, worked holidays.
Fun place to work
RT,(R) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2012
Enjoyed ever minute of working at the University. Worked with a great bunch of co-workers. Never was there an issue of someone doing more than the other person., Non-judgemental, very easy going group of co-workers. Radiologist were good and fair. Would talk to in a professional manner. Took the time to explain to you what needed to be done, or how to correct your procedure to make it a better quality exam.
Pros
everything
Reasonable compensation for graduate studies
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2014
I was a graduate student working as a teaching assistant at UIC. No possibility of advancement but a guaranteed 5 years of support while you study. Typical atmosphere for MS or PhD program in chemistry - competitive and pretty demanding.
Pros
tuition coverage, benefits
Cons
highly competitive, out of date facilities
Volunteer
Scailab Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2013
I was a volunteer and assistant to a pharmaceutical research assistant in a lab at UIC - College of Pharmacy. My day started at 8 am to 5 pm. I assisted a Pharm.D and Ph.D student from France in studying more about the Echinacea plant species, conducting numerous TLC experiment with different solvent systems and analyzing results to compare the different compounds that made up each species (eg. flavanoids, coumarins, tannins, flavanols etc). It was a very enjoyable experience and I learned a lot about the different methods of analyzing compounds and using new technology. It was a challenging and enjoyable experience for me as an undergraduate student.
Pros
learning experience, communicating with professionals, using new technology
Cons
time would fly, 8 hours didn't seem enough
Comfortable place to work
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2013
The day is comfortable. There are dead lines but organization makes them easy to accomplish. Management is consistent and helpful. Coworkers are motivated and energetic. Hardest part of the job is turning away students who don't meet the criteria. I most enjoy when a student is accepted to college and is prepared to complete their chosen course of study.
Basic
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2014
Good management. Depends on how effective you want to be in the company. Great start for new-comers. Learned a lot from different experiences. Enjoyable part was that it was in the city so lots of things to do once you're done with work. Everyone is in college age-range so it was nice.
Review as a resident and fellow
Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy Fellow (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2014
Residency life is no different at UIC. You do have the on-call program which can make it a little more challenging than other programs. The college respects its residents however, and you never feel taken advantage of.
Pros
good clinicians and a department that cares about the residents
Cons
low pay, long hours
Employment with the State
Research Associate, Rheumatology (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2013
The University of Illinois at Chicago has provided me the opportunity to experience a atomsphere that lacks infrastructure. The institution does not support teamwork spirit which brings down the moral of the team as a whole. The physician I directly support has provided me a stable and health work environment. She supports professional growth and direct her team with professionalism and respect. With the lack of structure this creates the difficulty for my job since confusion is easily created. With all the adversity in the institution I have learned to work and perform even when the situation is not perfect.
Pros
the institution provides healthcare services to families of income levels
Cons
the bureaucracy of the institution prevents the ability to provide services for staff
Ranking is going down and you can see why
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Taking in a lot of below average students and faculty as well. No good research being done in the MIE department. Very less funding for students.

4.2