University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Employer Reviews

Nice facility and excellent coworkers
Research Associate (Current Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILOctober 6, 2014
Brilliant people for brainstorming and creative ideas.
Nice staff support.
Excellent gym.
professional collegiate research and educational institution
Assistant Professor (Former Employee), Champaign, ILSeptember 23, 2014
Universities perhaps always have been but progressively operating like corporations.
Good workplace
Student Employee (Former Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILSeptember 16, 2014
Culture that allowed for freedom in work on projects, good management
Nice place to work and study
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 12, 2014
The research atmosphere in the University is very good and people collaborate and learn from each other.
good
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILMay 1, 2014
good place to work. nice people. a lot of hours. Learned a lot in the lab
love it!
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Urbana, ILApril 30, 2014
Part-time job there so it gives a lot of quantitative marketing research experiences!
It is a great place to work
ELECTRICIAN, JOURNEYMAN (Former Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILApril 15, 2014
A typical day consisted of installing a variety of electrical installations such as variable drives and motor control work. The management atmosphere allowed you to grow and set your own schedule. My coworkers were kind and hard working for the most part. The hardest part of the job is staying out of work gossip. The most enjoyable part was the size – more... of the school which allowed for a huge variety of work to do and learn. – less
A great learning experience for an undergraduate student
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILMarch 30, 2014
The best part of work is being able to work with some of the best minds in computer science. Challenging yet a great learning experience.
Great!
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 24, 2014
Loved working with the undergraduate students and helping them in the lab programming.
I know my job
Snackbar Attendent (Current Employee), Champaign, ILFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: work hour
Cons: laidoff breaks
The Hardest Part Of The Job Is When the machines breaks down then u have do it by hands
Awesome research environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 10, 2014
PhD students can benefit from a diversity of the departments, courses, activities in the University of Illinois.
Productive place to work, with opportunities to meet a diverse clientele.
Office Support Assistant (Former Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 7, 2014
A typical day included basic receptionist tasks such as filing papers, scheduling appointments and tending to the mult-iline telephone. I learned about a lot of different cultures just by meeting the students and assisting them with general immigration questions and information. Management and my co-workers were a blast to work with. The most enjoyable – more... part of the job is also the hardest part of the job - breaking the language barrier. – less
Great Working Environment and Talented People
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 5, 2014
-Great university for your research
-Nice and talented people
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILJanuary 26, 2014
As research assistant, I usually work 10-20 hours per week, and get a tuition fee waiver and 1000 dollars pay each month.
good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Urbana, ILJanuary 15, 2014
Working in Professor Cheng’s Lab enabled me to develop the ability of operating HPLC to separate different components, GPC to test the molecular weight of polymer, NMR to test the structure of product, and DLS (Dynamic Light Scattering) to characterize the size and PDI of polymers.
Good studying environment.
Structural Analysis Teaching assistant (Former Employee), Champaign, ILJanuary 13, 2014
Good studying environment, nice professors and co-workers.
Productive workplace to develop leadership skills in Higher Education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Urbana, ILJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: good work environment
Cons: low salary
For the past four years I have worked as a Teaching Assistant at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and have found it to be a good experience in gaining an understanding of higher education and developing leadership skills in academia.
Great place for personal and professional development
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Urbana, ILJanuary 12, 2014
Quiet and beautiful environment. Multi-cultural experience. Great resources, including faculty team, libraries and research facilities. Low living cost.
Stimulating a College-Going Culture
College Adviser (Current Employee), Chicago,ILJune 4, 2013
Pros: working with a wide variety of people; students, staff, administration
Cons: case load was approximately 400 students but the work was still well worth the effort
I had the privilege of working in a High School with underrepresented minorities, with the sole mission to increase the college culture/college going rate. I met many different obstacles, but with an intense work ethic/drive, I was able to be an opportunity to my students that they would not have otherwise. I really saw the fruits of my labor when I – more... hear where the students are going and what they do once they get to their prospective institutions – less
A great place for PhD training and research
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILMay 27, 2013
Pros: people are smart and friendly, great research environment
Cons: there is not much to do even you have free time
Because it is an academic research lab, everyone's schedule is different. I usually got to lab at around 7:10 am and left at 6:00, while some other people like to take night shift, or work continually (for days) until they get tired. There is no typical lunch break, weekends nor holidays in research labs.

I learned a lot of knowledge and techniques – more... in my area, but the most important thing I learned here was how to THINK, the critical skill that separates scientists and technicians.

The management of the lab is kind of casual. Everyone has their own lab job, including taking care of the orders, biohazards, equipment, etc. We have lab meeting once a week. But we can also talk to our professor about our projects, science, or even life, whenever he is available.

People are nice and helpful. We also have nice connections with other labs, using their equipment, borrowing reagents, and asking scientific questions or specific techniques.

The most difficult part here in research, well, is when you get a negative result, you still need to find out why, and carefully screen out all the possible reasons before you can confirm this is a negative result. It's frustrating sometimes. The most enjoyable part, however, is that after go through all these trouble shootings, you find out the reason and everything makes sense : ) – less