University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Employee Reviews in United States

Ability to use your own ideas paired with your own ideals.
Lab Assistant- Dr. Sydney Cameron (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJuly 7, 2016
The management was very lenient on how you achieved your end goal allowing for a positive environment for self growth. While in the research sector, I was allowed to follow through with my plans to tweak and achieve my desired end results.
Productive and demanding
Graduate Research Assistant and Exchange Visitor (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 21, 2016
It is a beautiful but busy campus. But how you enjoy your work will depend on your department and your objectives to accomplish at the university.
Grad Student
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 13, 2016
Typical Grad student experience. Worked a lot. Typically 60-70 hours a week. Class work is difficult. Research is difficult. But you learn a lot.
Friendly and hard-working leadership
Scribe: Disability Resource/Education Service (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 24, 2016
For this job I was responsible for writing down my notes for the law class I was in, and then later typing it into a professional well-formatted outline. I would then submit the outlines within two days so the student with a disability could have access to them.
During this job the most important thing I learned is how to successfully manage my time as I had to work an extra hour each day typing notes that other law students did not need to do. Also, this job improved my ability to pull out only useful information to transcribe onto paper as I wanted my peer to have the best notes possible.
The management was amazing. They were very organized, friendly, and understanding that I was also a law student who needed to get my studies done. Furthermore, the only co-worker I had was my manager who I sent the outlines to.
The hardest part was when law school papers were due. This required me to be highly organized so I could type up my outlines and still have time for my classwork and other activities.
The most enjoyable part was being able to see my finished outline. It was well-written and organized, something to take pride in as it was for another student. Also, hearing how grateful the staff was for my help in furthering their resources available to students with a learning disability.
Pros
The staff was always a pleasure to deal with.
Cons
Often had law school work to do as well
ok
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 22, 2016
it's ok to work in the research group. which has completely relationship with the work in the college. So I would say it's ok at all aspect.
U of I review
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILApril 7, 2016
U of I has allowed me to cultivate and refine my skills in an environment where I am intellectually stimulated and always growing. I've learned valuable skills in diversity, inclusion, cooperation and a tireless work ethic while attending here.
flexible schedule, good pay
Student Employment (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILMarch 28, 2016
I'm highly satisfied with the flexible hours that I can fit to my own schedule, the responsibility of having a job, and thoroughly enjoy assisting a the night observing sessions which give me a chance to interact and work with others in a learning/teaching environment.
Helping students ensure their future
Exam Proctor (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILMarch 24, 2016
Before I head to work, my superiors tell me ahead of time what I'll be dealing with, and they are on top of their work when it comes to that. These days, I'm left to proctor exams by myself, and that was intimidating the first time I had to do that, but ultimately, it's not such a bad thing.
Very hard work, rewarding
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 10, 2016
My fellow TA's were a dream to work with. I would say that the management of TA's was more or less ok, sometimes they were overbearing and controlling. The workload (3 sections) was more than is normal for a MA or PhD student in similar universities. The students were the best part of the job, eager to learn and upbeat.
Pros
Feeling respected, fun students
Cons
Micro-management, difficult supervisors
Good experience as research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 9, 2016
This campus has a great research environment. The facilities are state-of-art and you have the opportunities to interact with talented researchers from different background. The collabration culture is very helpful.
Student Employee
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 8, 2016
The University of Illinois was a great place to work. It was very easy to work my schedule around my classes. I was also able to use my work to improve myself as a designer.
lab setting, building new experiments and preparing equipment
laboratory assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 20, 2016
read my resume. It is all stated there. I can expand on it in person or via phone if necessary. It involved working independently.
productive and fun place to work at.
Snack Bar Attendant/cook (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 10, 2016
very easy and good dependable people to work with.Good unit managers and very nice to work with.Not a fast pace job unless you are cooking.
Generally speaking fun to work with some smart fellow students.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 7, 2016
Just your average teaching position job. Helps students with machine problems, grade exams. Holding office hours. Compensation is okay for an undergraduate student.
Nice institution to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILDecember 17, 2015
This is a nice, world-renowned institution with many advantages. A typical day at work consists of working with students, going to seminars, discussions, and so on.
Fun Place to Work
Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILDecember 1, 2015
Every day was a new experience. I learned things I will continue to use for the rest of my life. Being on campus as a high school student really gave me the drive to want to continue school and go on to college. I worked in an office setting and learned to communicate effectively with my co-workers. I learned to use computer programs such as Excel, that are still helpful to me today.
Pros
Being on the University of Illinois' Campus
An excellent educational institution.
University of Illinois Office Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 25, 2015
A typical day includes checking your list of to-do's and prioritizing each one. I learned to leave the job at work. The management style is a bit intimidating but necessarily so. My co-workers were serious and committed. The hardest part of the job is fitting a square peg into a circle and the most enjoyable part of the day is reaching the goals.
Respectable place to work
Admin (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 20, 2015
Illinois has high caliber students that work hard and can be a rewarding experience for professionals. Professionals believe in the institution in their students.
A place to learn as you grow and teach
Teaching Assistant/Discussion Class Teacher (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILAugust 7, 2015
I had work three days a week. I would go to lectures on Mondays and Fridays to just assist the main professor. Mondays were designated exam days so I would proctor exams, gather them, grade them, and post them online. Wednesdays I would teach a lesson on my own and break down the concepts of the previous lecture from Monday or Friday. I would head discussions on those ideas and flesh out what had been learned in big lecture. The final for the class was a five minute play which I assisted each group in creating and putting on.
Pros
Great people and learning experiences, insurance benefits
Cons
Can be repetitive
Good work environment
Behavior of Materials, Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILAugust 7, 2015
Being a lab assistant taught me more about the subject than I previously learned or knew as an undergraduate at UIUC. Work environment is very good.

4.5