University of Illinois Hospital Employee Reviews

Lack of teamwork
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2017
I find that the lack of teamwork among my coworkers is very disturbing. Every time I go to work I feel alone. Luckily, there are a few people who are friendly and who I can talk to. Also, the facilities and equipment are in disrepair and there is always something broken on the unit. I just feel like nobody cares.
Old stagnant bureaucratic management practices in place to prevent or slow down change.s necessary to improve patient care & cut down patient waiting.
Nurse Manager of Surgery Clinics (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2017
I started to work there in 1977 after moving from the East Coast.
I had never seen such stagnation especially in a teaching hospital. Even getting the patient's medical records for their clinic visit(s) was impossible many times because of the very archaic practice of combining the patient's inpatient records with the outpatient records . Thus it made for a huge medical record that frequently never made it to outpatient. Every one had ways to work around the problem but they were not efficient or sufficient enough. This problem was never resolved while I worked there. A make do attitude prevailed about almost every thing..
The environs was very shabby and disorganized. It was hard to get anything fixed.
Pros
You could have the job there for the rest of your working life.
Cons
Change was almost impercetible.
Great
Occupational Medicine Resident (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2017
Residency program is great, very intelligent faculty that are eager to team and watch you grow. I would recommend the residency to anyone. The hours are great and work load is appropriate.
Just an Intern
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
Good learning environment
Must have good organizational skills and tough skin around certain staff
Most of the staff are professional and helpful
Must have people skills and good presentation around patients
Pros
Collaboration with medical team
Cons
lack of medical terminology since I was a MSW Intern
good place to experience
Senior Technologist- Microbiology (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2017
its a research hospital learned all my microbiology experience. I got involved in the Med tech program. good culture and diversity is great. meet a lot of student all over the world. great staff and fun. my days is always a good day.
Pros
great work experience
Cons
being a state employee salary is low
University of Illinois
Registered Nurse, Surgical/Transplant ICU (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2017
High acuity environment however fairly compensated. The hospital itself is slightly outdated, it is owned by the state of Illinois. The majority of staff here are unionized which accompanies many pros and cons.
Great place to learn as the student, this is a teaching hospital,lots of Medical Residents, everyone willing to teach you,learned a lot thre
Student Ultrasound Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2017
You learn a lot there as the student, teaching hospital, lots of medical residents, great place to learn, difficult cases to see,best place to be as the student. Very busy place , patients are very difficult, which is great experience to learn as the student
stressful
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2017
In my department they were at times very sweet and most of times could be very demanding, talking down to you, and could be ignorant too. I can't say that everyone who works at this job are all bad . Some of the coworkers are very nice, friendly, willing to help you out.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No breaks
there was so much to do and always was something to do
Medical Service Plan Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2017
i started with entering patient information,to billing the patient insurance.
there were days when i recevied the checks and appiled them to the patients account.
have called insurance companies from b/c and b/s to medicare etc to find out which date of service they were paying.
very enjoyable and busy day.
Pros
always busy
Always busy productive day
Nurse Tech (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2017
I love helping people so working at UIC was a pleasure, but some days it was very difficult do to everyone not working as a team. If your working with hardworking individuals, then your day will fly by.
Pros
making your own schedule, good pay
Cons
Short breaks
It was a job
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2017
The company is great. People are semi friendly but its a job & yea i will work there again if i got the opportunity! Not in the same department. Go UIC !!
The atmosphere is always plesent and everyone is a joy to work around
House keeping (Current Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 22, 2017
UIC Hospital is a caring place that I love and look forward to going to every day. The faculty and staff, are always pleasant, eager , and willing to help anyone .its overall a great place to work. I had to make sure the patients rooms and areas were kept clean I learned that taking care of people is one of the most rewarding jobs Ive ever had. I believe the hardest part of the job was seeing the patients leave and go home or watching them expire. To me the most enjoyable part was getting to talk to patients from different walks of live , and some from other countrys
Great Benefits if You Can See Wade Through Apathy
Administrative Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2016
Staff morale is often low across the spectrum of departments. There are a lot of efforts towards increasing patient satisfaction but I'm not sure if the connection that exists between the low morale of staff and patient engagement is seen by the highest levels of management. On the flip side- there is room for growth or lateral moves around the hospital and the benefits are pretty good.
Benefits
Cons
Management is often poor
a good place.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMay 23, 2016
i really didn't enjoy working here at all i dont think i like workin in this kind of department so i end up leaving to find something that work for me.
Great manual therapy based internship
Student Physical Therapist Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2016
I was a student intern here in the Physical Therapy department. A great and rigorous program for anyone interested in practicing manual therapy. There are a lot of fellow PTs and SPTs to learn and collaborate with.
Great!
Social Work Trainee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2016
I loved working here, but my internship came to an end. I like the outpatient setting and loved the culture at this clinic. The patients were great too.
Very productive
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2015
I enjoy working at this company my assignment will be ending very soon, I love working on precerts and registration for radiology patients having mri's, ct, pet scan, ultrasounds
Pros
Hours
Cons
No cons
Not a place for those that want more out of life
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2015
Dead end job, stuck in positions with no way out. Everything is red tape and the pay is low. The pension is done for and there is no other reason to work her. I wouldn't recommend to anyone other than a college student that would only work here at most 5 years.
Pros
Free education, paid time off
Cons
low pay, bad management, they work against you.
This is a great hospital to work for.
clinical internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2014
The staff is caring and committed to high quality patient care.
Can be a rewarding experience.
Department Information Supervisor (Current Employee) –  ILSeptember 26, 2014
Healthcare can really be a challenge no matter where you work. Simply because your clients come to see you most times when they are hurt or sick and not in their best moments.
Pros
Very steady.
Cons
Pension fears.