University of Kansas Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ku medical review
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 6, 2017
KU medical. Center is a fine place to work. Just looking to advance my career in other opportunities I don't particular care working 12 hour shifts, or on night shift.
Incredible diversity with a need for coustomer service in mind in any position
Maintenance Building Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 3, 2017
It is a major employer and one of the more enjoyable, but challenging places to work. Excellent food in the cafeteria being the very one of several perks and any employee has some or all options for good benefits.
Productive and fun with a variety of people
Janitorial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 24, 2017
Great place to qork will akways put a smile going into work. Yoy get to meet great people everyday whether it be patients or your everyday crew members
Great opportunity
Operating Room RN (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 16, 2017
KU Medical Center offers a lot of opportunity to advance and develop as a RN. I enjoyed rotating through all areas of surgery before making Neuro Surgery my home.
Productive,and structured place to work
Research Intern, Dr. Dhanunjaya Lakkireddy, MD (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 10, 2017
I participated in various research projects along with the other interns and fellows and it was great learning experience. I have contributed to different projects including Tikosyn and Sotalol initiation, LINQ data, VT data, Incidental findings, Lead Extraction data, updating Lariat and Radar data on regular basis. I also gave presentation on EP lab protocols, participated in grand rounds, where I was able to get valuable information on new developments and advances in the field of Cardiology from distinguished and well known Professors. I had shadowed EP fellow and nurse in EP lab, where they taught me about different procedures for correcting heart rhythm disorders. I had case discussion with Electrophysiologists, cardiac fellows, regarding pre-ablation, post ablation and post device status of patients involved in our studies. I also got opportunity to get myself familiarize with Epic Hyperspace for electronic medical records.
been too long but indeed is making me fill this out
Microbiology Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 28, 2017
It's been too long since I've been employed by them. I left The University of Kansas Medical Center in 2001 and I don't know much about the work that they're doing there now.
Productive & busy workplace
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 19, 2017
KUMED is a very busy place. No surgical case is the same. You're always learning something new, each & every day. The surgeons are great in helping new staff learn what needs to be done.
benefits
Cons
no real opportunity to advance
Important Work But Pay is Low
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 10, 2017
Many important diseases are researched at the University of Kansas Medical Center. The main disadvantage to working here as a scientist is your salary is almost entirely funded by government grants, which means your pay is very low. If money isn't an important consideration for your employment, it would be a good place to work.
Fast pace job with excellent benefits
Main Operating Room Supply Chain Liaison (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 6, 2017
Very fast pace jobs, I loved working with other healthcare professionals in the operating room. I learned to become a team with all types of medical professionals.
good place to work
prn, ICU float pool (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 6, 2017
I worked there as float pool prn, nurse and enjoyed it. It is a good place to learn new things and grow professionally. The nursing staff, Doctors and managements are supportive.
fast paced work environment
Surgical Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 4, 2017
FAst paced work enviornment , however the management over the operating room staff do not leave their office and have favorites that are allowed to get away with sitting down not working because they are hanging out in the supervisors office . Supervisor's also ignore dr's orders from work related injuries and do not relay pertinant information . Some supervisors are rude and not willing to help, assist or even answer questions.
Pros
FAst paced work enviornment
Cons
suopervisors do NOT leave then office, Poor managemenet
great
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 30, 2017
Excellent place to work, management is helpful and co-workers were pleasant and helpful. Support staff was also very qualified and helpful. Great place!!
Not Paid Enough
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 10, 2017
This position does not pay well at all. It is impossible to live independently, paying bills, rent, and student loans on $15 an hour. There is no communication within the department; often there are misunderstandings between the supervisors and that leads to conflict within the department. There is always petty drama because the superiors are passive aggressive.
Great work environment
Endoscopy Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KS 66103February 27, 2017
A solid and growing facility with cutting edge education opportunities. I loved the endoscopy department and procedural areas. Great place to work.
A professional work environment centered around the progress of basic research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 24, 2017
Working at KUMC as an entity is fantastic. The system itself is amazing, there are great benefits, they work closely with the hospital, and the environment is pleasant. I have learned several basic research skills from my immediate supervisor that I have gone to pass on to new employees and visiting medical students. This job has been very helpful in providing me with the experience necessary to progress my career and be successful. My co-workers are all supportive when it comes to help with troubleshooting issues that arise during the experiments through the work day. We work as a whole to ensure that everyone is able to complete their work in the most efficient and correct way.
Cons
Parking is difficult and requires 10-15 mins walk from your vehicle to the campus.
Enjoyable Place to Work
Patient Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Westwood, KSFebruary 16, 2017
I enjoyed my job at KU Medical Center.
I learned the processes of Hospital and Clinic Billing from the beginning to the completion.

The culture was quiet in my office area. We were graded on accuracy and production.

There was not a hard part of my job. I enjoyed all aspects of my job function.

One of the things I enjoyed most about my job was helping people. I love to assist people and I had the opportunity to do that everyday. By assisting a teammate in my department or another teammate in a different department.
Pros
Friendly teammates, Good workload
Good Place To Work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 16, 2016
I really like my manager. This place is so big that your manager and department will dictate your experience. The diversity in jobs is nice.
benefits
Virtual Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSSeptember 8, 2016
The benefits are wonderful, time off was a challenge, it depends on who requested it first, and holiday time depends on if you had it off the previous year....Seniority wasn't a factor.
Pros
great co-workers, great benefits, flexiable
Cons
no flavored coffee
Great Research and Teaching hospital but in my opinion the worst place ever to work!
N/A (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 12, 2016
I worked at KU three years ago and lets just say my experience was less then what was expected. I was given the impression that KU was one of the best hospitals to work for by the posters and soon found this to be not the case. First issue is the attendance policy that is a stiff point system to monitor adults capable of coming to work when they are supposed too. Understandable that every job has an attendance policy but this is entirely to the extreme. You get 4 points as new hire and 8 after 90 days for unexcused absences and you lose a 3rd of a point if your late. When you think of a person with a family, especially with young kids. One could come to the conclusion they can be unpredictable. So speaking from that point of you it leaves one with the impression that KU MED just may not be family friendly. Let's not forget that even if you have a doctors excuse for not coming to work you well still be pointed no matter how sick you are. Keep in mind this hospital stresses the safety of patients and other employee's with "If your sick please stay home or we will send you home!"
Another experience is the horrendous parking situation! VISITORS, PATIENTS AND EMPLOYEES PAY FOR PARKING! If your are an employee, the closer to the building you want to park the more expensive it will be!
Another fact that may be even more upsetting, is the way you may be payed upon first accepting a job for KU Medical Center. You will not be paid a full check until a month later and your benefits at least medical will be more expensive then other hospitals.
Last but not least, sometimes I felt
  more... as though, there may have been an aura of job title discrimination. Sometimes it seems as though if you weren't a Physician or RN with an Advanced Degree your opinion is not valued or even taken into consideration but this is just an opinion.
This is based on personal experience to give potential job hunters a little insight into what the experience maybe like to work for this company. In respect some people love it and some don't and just may have more positive experiences. Honestly if the issue above were addressed I would work there again but my guess is, it's unlikely.
Pros
Great hospital for teaching and research!
Cons
Stiff and unfair point system attendance policy, Expensive Medical Insurance, Horrendous Parking
Providing comfort to occupants in a university environment
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 1, 2016
All HVAC, plumbing, construction, compliance with city and state code, OSHA, Joint Commissions, life safety.

Being part of the management team was a great learning experience that advanced my knowledge of hospital settings

Most enjoyable was when I left for the day I felt fulfilled.

Co-workers were great and willing to help at all times
Pros
great place to work
Cons
Unstable due to tax shortfall in state of Kansas

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kansas Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval