University of Kansas Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun job for students
Student Data Entry Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 21, 2016
This job has been one of the most lesson-filled jobs I have had so far. It is definitely a useful job to have if you are interested in going into healthcare. It gives you a great base for patient privacy, electronic health records, cancer knowledge, and other great health care subjects.
Management was always great and understanding of employees. They provided guidance and leadership all the time and were willing to help with any questions I had about the job.
My coworkers became some of my best friends and truly enjoyed their jobs in the department.
Good employer
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 30, 2015
I learn a lot of when I worked in University of Kansas Medical Center. It is good memory for me. My research focus on Effect of Narcotics on HIV-mediated Pulmonary Endothelial Dysfunction of nonhuman primate (NHP).
Productive Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 5, 2015
• Coordinated a group of clinics such as; Sports Medicine, ENT Aesthetics, Pain Management and Gastro-intestinal.
• Great patients in a friendly and professional manner; answering multiline phones, and check in and out patients, collect co-payments, prepare clinics for the following day, responsible for providing daily sales money reports.
• Requested pre-authorizations, referrals and insurance verifications in timely manner.
• Scheduled surgeries and procedures and post-operative appointments.
• Provided English to Spanish translation for non-speaking English patients
Overall,
Excellent worker!
Fun atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 7, 2015
A great university with lots of room to grow and learn new skills. I enjoy working with a diverse group of co-workers and have learned so much from them.
Ok place to work
Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 1, 2015
great work place with not a strong management structure great amount of red tape and politics enjoyable part of the job is that hardly any supervision
Very relaxed atmosphere
Breast Center Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 8, 2015
My day would start by making sure I have prior film for the radiologist to use to compare to mammograms that will be done that day. My coworkers all got along great and were willing to help each other out if needed. Once the mammograms were read I would make sure to mail the results to the patients and if abnormal I would notify their physican and add them to the logbook and track their progress. I loved going to work everyday because I felt like what I did mattered and it also made me feel good. The only thing I really didn't like was it took me an hour to get to work.
Pros
good pay, great coworkers and being able to work on my own
Cons
drive into work
This is how I first got my start as a pharmacy technician.
Pharmacy Technician III (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 5, 2015
The job was great. It is how I learned everything I know about being a pharmacy technician. The hospital was still growing and making huge advances in automation. I was on the ground floor and helped build and advance the system. I was very proud of this time. I left the job in hopes of getting a PharmD. However, that required a lot more money than I was aware of and it was a foolishy and costly pursuit. In retrospect, I wish I would have stayed and worked at the hospital.
Loved my position, management was terrible
Manager of IT Initiatives (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 16, 2015
The culture in the IT department on the University side was awful. No one was on the same page. 10 people got let go without any notice due to one persons mistakes in their role.
Pros
Felxability
Cons
Upper management needs help
Cool place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 19, 2015
I had Great experience working with different doctors and nurses.The hours where great with every weekend off; there was also free parking
Pros
Pick up different skills
Cons
Temporary Job
Many changes and growth good place to work
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  3901 Rainbow Blvd Kansas City KSApril 19, 2015
With state cut backs to universities it is unstable at the moment but a great place to work. Very large campus many things to do and learn
Pros
good job
Cons
state cuts and more to come
Productive, integrity and fun workplace
Sr. Coordinator/Event Planner (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 28, 2014
The University has a long standing of an excellent company to work for. Very driven and competitive in specific areas. Loved working with the team and overall staff. Most enjoyable part of my job was being able to pour into people's lives, just to live better and be knowledgeable of what was available for them through seminars, workshops, exercising, arts and crafts, special events designed for them, and just an overall passion to watch others succeed. Loved being part of the community and serving on boards to know the needs and desires of people.
Fast paced and exciting work enviroment.
Informaiton Desk Assoc. (Former Employee) –  Main building on Cambridge Blvd.December 29, 2013
The information desk I worked at was responsible for providing guest services, answering phone calls for staff, clinic, and patient inquiries. In addition to answering calls we were also responsible for directing/escorting guests, vendors and patients throughout the medical center. It was fast paced and exciting. I was highly motivated to provide efficient and accurate information, as well as additional resources when necessary.
Pros
i enjoyed working in a position that i could excel at providing customer service.
Cons
there was little or no opportunity to advance within my department.
Great place to learn and grow!
Critical Care Therapist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 30, 2013
What I love about KU is that you will experience things (guaranteed) in your career in a few months that most people in the field either never get to see or see maybe once. It's a regular occurrence at KU! So what could seem scary about the job, becomes regular practice to you because you are it exposed to it. That's what I love! That i get to become competent in multiple facets of my field. .
Pros
great benefits, great people, great opportunity
Cons
can be overwhelming, quick learning curve, frequent misscommunication departmentally
professional work place
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 21, 2012
This was my first supervisor position in my career, I was the split shift supervisor of the tray line for the hospital. I help cook and supervise on that shift. There where other supervisors whom we all worked to make it a safe and productive environment. My day started with me checking the menu for that day and the staff I had to work with on that day. direct the staff on what they would produce that day. who would do what, all employees worked hard together.
Pros
free food on the shift
Cons
breaks and health care
Listed below
Clinical Nurse II & Case Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  KSFebruary 17, 2013
Start me day obtain assignments for mainly admission assessments.
Assist CM w/obtaining d/c needs for all services.
Coworkers are spaced out over entire hospital.
Different services are strategically placed throughout hospital.
Probably the hardest part of the job is prioritizing segments of the job.
Meeting interesting clients during the assessment process
Pros
cannot think of any at this time
Great Research and Teaching hospital but in my opinion the worst place ever to work!
N/A (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 12, 2016
I worked at KU three years ago and lets just say my experience was less then what was expected. I was given the impression that KU was one of the best hospitals to work for by the posters and soon found this to be not the case. First issue is the attendance policy that is a stiff point system to monitor adults capable of coming to work when they are supposed too. Understandable that every job has an attendance policy but this is entirely to the extreme. You get 4 points as new hire and 8 after 90 days for unexcused absences and you lose a 3rd of a point if your late. When you think of a person with a family, especially with young kids. One could come to the conclusion they can be unpredictable. So speaking from that point of you it leaves one with the impression that KU MED just may not be family friendly. Let's not forget that even if you have a doctors excuse for not coming to work you well still be pointed no matter how sick you are. Keep in mind this hospital stresses the safety of patients and other employee's with "If your sick please stay home or we will send you home!"
Another experience is the horrendous parking situation! VISITORS, PATIENTS AND EMPLOYEES PAY FOR PARKING! If your are an employee, the closer to the building you want to park the more expensive it will be!
Another fact that may be even more upsetting, is the way you may be payed upon first accepting a job for KU Medical Center. You will not be paid a full check until a month later and your benefits at least medical will be more expensive then other hospitals.
Last but not least, sometimes I felt
  more... as though, there may have been an aura of job title discrimination. Sometimes it seems as though if you weren't a Physician or RN with an Advanced Degree your opinion is not valued or even taken into consideration but this is just an opinion.
This is based on personal experience to give potential job hunters a little insight into what the experience maybe like to work for this company. In respect some people love it and some don't and just may have more positive experiences. Honestly if the issue above were addressed I would work there again but my guess is, it's unlikely.
Pros
Great hospital for teaching and research!
Cons
Stiff and unfair point system attendance policy, Expensive Medical Insurance, Horrendous Parking
Challenging and Rewarding
PRN Sonography Student Technologist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 3, 2015
The patient population is very diverse thus making it challenging at times. But at the end of the day you can say that you helped make the patient's life better and you had a chance to touch their life in your own personal way.
Great teaching hospital
Pharmacist Poison Control Center (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day at work involves sitting and being on the phone answering calls from general population, and ER or ICU staff. I have learned about and love toxicology.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
sitting all day on phone in small office/some coworkers
Very productive and relaxed atmosphere
Administrative Assistant in Patient Admitting (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 7, 2013
My typical day was customer service for patients. I learned how to do reports and payroll. The management for the most part was fair. The co-workers were fun. My biggest challenge was payroll had never done it before. What was most enjoyable was meeting people everyday
Pros
was able to work alone without much supervision
Cons
short breaks
Very productive lab,very helpful mentor.
Post-doctoral fellow (Current Employee) –  KSJune 28, 2012
It was a good opportunity to work here. My mentor was very helpful ,I learnt many new techniques and I had good experience working in Cancer field . I won't be able to work here after June due to loss of grant money but in 6 month I became a co-author in a prestigious scientific journal and couple more manuscripts are under construction .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kansas Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Kansas Medical Center Reviews by Location