University of Kansas Employee Reviews

I’m excited about the chance to join your company since there’s such a great fit between your needs and my abilities
Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 19, 2017
Work with researchers and Professors making sure they are ready to teach and do research ! Making sure test equipment is up and running we do lots of research in my different areas.
Pros
work atmosphere !
Cons
location
Friendly workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 15, 2017
A very friendly place to work at. I got to meet many people having different backgrounds that in turn helped mt to advance myself as well. also, this place has good staff.
academic, Opportunities to do independent research
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 14, 2017
Academic environment. Lots of opportunities to learn. Very productive. Gives the opportunity to do independent research. professors are great and very helpful
The best institution of Higher Learning
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 14, 2017
Typical day included attending seminars, literature review, developing research design and methodology, and teaching. I learned more about myself at the university than I've learned at any other life endeavor through the study of global society. The workplace culture was very inviting and enriching and I met and interacted with some of the most brilliant people on the planet. The hardest part of the job was learning to balance work life with home life, because true success in academia requires an around the clock commitment to your work and research. The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to learn from other cultures as well as your own.
Pros
Intense immersion in analysis of society
Cons
Difficult to balance work and life
Got me in door, but no job progress
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 10, 2017
Worked in the lab for 3 years through multiple groups of graduate students. Sometimes nice to be there other times was annoying. Had to work for free at first to get into lab. did basic tasks like preparing samples for testing, organizing. work was repetitive and became painfully boring by 2nd year.
Pros
great for getting research experience, get to choose schedule
Cons
no job progress
Research Intern
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 3, 2017
I liked how the research we were testing could impact and help so many different people across the world. In addition, I was able to interact with my favorite teacher.
Productive and exciting work place.
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMarch 20, 2017
The university of Kansas knows how to balance work with your everyday life. Management works well and is very understanding. The hardest part of the job is being well prepared for what is expected of you, don't expect it to be mindless work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling that you are actually doing something exciting and meaningful.
Overall good experience
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSFebruary 16, 2017
Besides the lack of centralization in IT, this was a great experience. Great people and environment. Work life balance was good too, and culture was a good fit.
great place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSFebruary 8, 2017
Great place to work. Very family oriented. People are friendly. Flexible management and very open to new ideas. Lots of different positions to choose from.
Good place to gain experiences
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSFebruary 7, 2017
It is a place to learn new knowledge every day. Challenging environment requires high EQ to handle interpersonal relationships. Not much of work/life balance as a PhD student.
research lab
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 26, 2017
It was a good experience to work as a assistant, I was able to be more knowledgeable on what actual chemist's job would be like.
Burnout is Real
Proctor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 18, 2017
As an undergraduate staff member for the Department of Student Housing, we are told that our purpose is "to graduate students", although sometimes that can come at a detriment to our own academics. Although it offers students the typical benefits of being housing staff--free room and board, and a (very) small stipend--it often seems like a very underappreciated or supported role for both the upper housing staff as well as some residents. Unless you know to take time for yourself and to stand up to upper housing when necessary, you may leave the job without a single positive memory. That said, I have amazing undergraduate coworkers, and they keep me sane and happy--they're an amazing support group for each other.
Pros
Make a difference, Benefits
Cons
Work/Life Balance, management, clientele
excellent university to do research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 14, 2016
KU engineering has great professors and graduate students. The research projects ranges from analytical and empirical.
review summary
Student Grader (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 9, 2016
Excellent place to work. Throughout my time, I learned how to effectively manage my time balancing school and work. The co-workers provided an excellent work environment.
Great Experience
Archaeological Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSNovember 18, 2016
I was working as a volunteer and I loved every second of it. My boss was very understanding of my busy schedule. I got excellent experience that really helped my development as an archaeologist.
Good Learning Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KansasOctober 29, 2016
Very encouraging faculty
Good Lab facilities
Experienced professors and expertise in their respective fields
Cool research on Unmanned Aircrafts (CReSIS)
Adjunct Lecturer
Lecturer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSOctober 24, 2016
The health benefits were adequate and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students.
My co-workers had very high standards and the hardest part of the job was not having weekends because of so much grading was required.
Hawk Week Leader
Hawk week leader (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSOctober 18, 2016
The work environment at Kansas University is very systematic as we were told exactly what, where, and when to do a certain task.

I learned that working as a team and having strong communication between both employee and employers are very important.
Pros
good pay, add friends
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Job security!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSOctober 16, 2016
A very stable place to work. I came here after a reduction in force at my last position, and had no desire to lose another job. KU satisfied my requirement!
Good Culture
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 1, 2016
Great Place to work for. I worked as Student Research Assistant, Graduate Research Assistant and Graduate Teaching Assistant

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kansas. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3