University of Kansas Employee Reviews

Educating, fun place to learn art in various fields
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 27, 2016
Professors are always helpful. It has a wide range of resources and it's an interdisciplinary program that makes you able to take advantage of working with professionals from different majors
Pros
a very friendly atmosphere with lot to learn
Cons
it's Kansas!
Great Place
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 22, 2015
KU is a dynamic and friendly school. You will have a great deal of opportunities to develop yourself and build on your skills to get ready for your future career.
Class assignment for a non-profit organization
Co-leader (Former Employee) –  CMNS 342 classDecember 8, 2015
Fun work place and supportive teacher, Placed with a strong group for my team, not all about numbers but also how we grew as a team and developed better team work skills.
Pros
great group
Cons
time limit
Great Faculty
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSNovember 11, 2015
Professors always willing to push you to excel on your research of your thesis while using the tools that they teach you in their classes.
It is a good place to work for. It offers a significant learning opportunity.
Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSOctober 24, 2015
Excellent university with lot of funding. It is a good place to work for. It offers a significant learning opportunity.
they are very discriminatory of there employees. Everything was fine with my duties until they figured out how many tattoos I had.
custodian (Current Employee) –  Lied CenterOctober 20, 2015
There is no structure. There were 5 custodians doing the same thing. No one ever discussed what the other was doing so everyone just kept going around and doing the same thing repeatedly
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Horrible bosses
Crimson and Blue
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Strong HallSeptember 30, 2015
Working for a University is a great opportunity, especially when you can work in-between your classes. That's what I did! I was able to work in the enrollment center and assist students with questions about courses, how to enroll, how to add or drop classes from their schedules and during peak seasons, assisting students with the enrollment process.
Pros
working on campus and around class schedule
Cons
Can only work during office hours.
Flexible hours and interesting work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 22, 2015
As a graduate research assistant, I was funded for my work and education. The faculty is very accommodating for personal life balance.
• Estimated cost of construction including all material, labor and equipment costs using RS Means and hand calculation methods.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 20, 2015
• Designed complete site layout and prototype using AutoCAD and wrote technical proposal report detailing site selection, design and major planning.
• Learned and practiced troubleshooting and problem solving techniques in high stress, real-time competition environment with collaborative effort.
• Performed numerous and diverse tests charging chemical procedures pressures and created new procedure focused on allowing temps in most effective and efficient combination of chemical reaction.
• Studied, learned, and executed numerous strategies and systems with proposed planning to determine for further evaluation of the project.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 14, 2015
For five years, have been supported and encouraged to design a curriculum for Cultural Competency and Diversity classes within School of Social Welfare.
Pros
Student interaction and management support
Fun workplace
The Market (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 13, 2015
I worked at The Market in food service throughout my entire four years at KU and loved my job. I couldn't wait to come back to school more-so that I could return to work than for school. The manager of The Market is one of a kind, he has spoiled me for any other managers or bosses. The other employees are also amazing, there is a family feel to the work and it makes it all worth while. Being food service the work can, at times, be dull however the atmosphere makes it a very fun place to be. It gave me a sense of purpose and helped build my time-management skills as I moved through the food court of the Market and helped wherever I could. The work is like many food service jobs, but the people at The Market make all the difference, this includes many of the regular customers.
Pros
money for lunch, AMAZING manager, fun employees
Cons
food service
An interesting research facility with good people to work with
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parsons, KSJuly 31, 2015
A typical day was:
1. Set up labs for the research activity (computer or manual apparatice)
2. Schedule date/time for clients to come to lab.
3. Escort the client to/from the research lab.
4. Gather the data from the clients performance.
5. Daily meeting to analyze data and strategize for the next session.
Pros
The team worked well together, each member was respected, suggestions were valued
Cons
Advancement was not available, government grant funds were unpredictable
Fun working with great people
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 11, 2015
I learned how to look patients up on the computer for visitors. There really wasn't anything hard about this job. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with great people.
Pros
lunch ticket
MS in Chemical Engineering
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 1, 2015
A very good school. Learnt the As and Bs of research. Very supportive faculty, helped he to develop my interests. Good collaboration among faculty members.
Great leadership experience
Hawk-Week Leader (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 16, 2015
this is a job at school campus, you can meet many new faces and make friends, and to set up your connections. Manager is really easy to get alone with.
Pros
a good environment to make connections
Cons
sometimes work too long
Exciting Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parsons, KSJune 12, 2015
During my time working for the University of Kansas, I received the opportunity to learn new and fascinating skills such as a numerical data collection system, proper procedure for data collection and various formulas and functions in Microsoft Excel.
Pros
Paid travel
Cons
High energy work environment with goal oriented people
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 11, 2015
instruct high school aged athletes through proper sprint mechanics and warm up and cool down techniques
inform them on topics such as sports psychology, nutrition, and strength and conditioning.
Productive work place with open work culture
Doctoral Candidate (Current Employee) –  LawrenceJune 2, 2015
Independent work environment where students could follow their own projects. Very hands-off and dependent on self motivation.
Love the staff
Distribution Center Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 27, 2015
I have only worked for one department at KU, so I cannot rate the entire University from my limited experience. I love my coworkers and what I do here. Be advised the positions here for staff are appointed annually and there is no job security, however you can apply at different departments on campus and find the right fit for you. Not all departments are lacking good management.
Pros
Vacation days do not do away at the end of each year
Student Position
Data Entry Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 28, 2015
I was in a student position. It was great while I was a student. I could make my own hours, and it was a flexible job. I loved the position overall.

4.4